Please visit VillageBet for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Village Administration - Support and Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Forum Moderation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrackRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Moderation
    Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 10:05am
Time to vent.....

I enjoy visiting the TBV site on a daily basis and have, for the most part, done my best to stay out of all arguments, name calling and other childish carry on that occurs across the forums.

We have some sensational members who provide excellent discussion, industry insight, help and of course, all important tips, be they good or bad. But there is no denying the fact that the forums also play host to an ever growing number of members who come on simply to troll particular other members, flame other members or simply just attack anyone who posts anything, adding nothing to discussion but pointless one line insults.

In my honest opinion, it is high time for the forum to have a visible moderator team, who actively moderate all forums, ensuring they are kept on topic, and that the pointless insults appearing in almost every single thread disappear. Delete any flaming posts, warn the offending members and impose bans from the site for serial offenders.

As I said, I enjoy coming here for a chat and when the mayor called for hosting donations, was happy to chip something in. Even if that wasn't much, it was still something. However I don't enjoy coming here every day to see every chat bombarded with absolute jibberish from people just out to attack someone for the sake of it.

Mayor, you run a great site and can't be expected to watch every little thing yourself, but I really think that, for the good of the forum and those who actually come here to use it for what it is intended, a serious and public moderation team is needed. I'm sure there would be a couple of members quite happy to step up to the task for you, all you have to do is ask.

It's time to see the needless, and often personal attacks eradicated and the forum being used for what it is intended.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 10:42am
Thanks for your comments TrackRider, much appreciated! I am sick of the nastiness as well and feel your pain. However, moderating this site is a lot harder than it appears. It sounds easy to just delete offending posts, but a simple post removal can cause hours of further work in dealing with the inevitable complaints and providing sufficient explanation for the action. You have a point about enlisting a visible team of moderators and this has been indicated to me by others. I think we all agree that two things are needed rather urgently. An experienced moderator team and a water-tight set of policy guidelines readily available for perusal. These are my two goals for the next stage of proceedings. Neither is an easy task but feasible at least. Thanks again TR.
Mayor
Skipper View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 2:40am

There's no doubt that some intervention is occassionally needed TR, but for what it's worth I reckon you're overestimating the size of the problem and underestimating the ability of most Forumites to absorb and dismiss it themselves..

Not sure that the cure wouldn't be worse than the ailment if it renders the Village entirely sterile and politically correct..

It's about entertainment as much as the mingling of ideas..And I reckon we've got some great entertainers..Thumbs%20Up
waggamick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 1:37am
I like Fans Focus .Com and they seem to have a pretty good moderation system.
The Dude Abides
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 6:37am
You need to be careful not to overly moderate though.

That is the issue which caused many members to leave one website to join this one.
Ormond View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ormond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 7:10am
I'm sure The Mayor has everything under control in this site
TierceSurprise View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TierceSurprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 7:33am
So far this site is awesome. You dont want over bearing moderation, and definately NO favourtism.

People just cant help but try and find out what im doing!!! :D:D
Bunji View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2008 at 1:34am
Looks well run Mayor
everlane888 View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everlane888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 7:28am
definietly no favouritsm...I've been on sites where people get protected cos they are in the clique....doesn't seem to matter if they are doing the wrong thing left, right and centre........

Moderation is good within reason, but the punter should be able to speak freely, otherwise its just dead boring
'
Mezza View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 8:29am
oh no ,  no heavy handed moderation here :-)
Jon the Pom View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon the Pom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 8:11am
Originally posted by andynr123 andynr123 wrote:

You need to be careful not to overly moderate though.

That is the issue which caused many members to leave one website to join this one.

you  and  the  next  2  posters  down  did  not  leave  your  last  forum  you  were  ejected  for  the  exact reasons  trackrider  has  stated..

im  not  surprised  you  are  against  the  idea   of  reasonable  moderation....

in  my  experience  its  not  easy  to  satisfy   everyone..
and  being  the  administrator  is  no  doubt  the  role  that  eats  into the  quality  time  that  should  be  being  spent  elsewhere  in life..

a  moderator  for  each  main section  and  a  private forum  for  the team   to discuss  any problem  posters  or  situations  that  arise  is  the most  balanced and fair  way  ..  as  the  team  can  bounce  opinions of  each  other..

sometimes  its  very difficult   ..  but  never  the less  decisions  have to  be  made  to  benefit  the majority over  the minority..

Riceman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 8:50am
There hasn't been a bigger mob of sooks like the 121 mob join these forums since Soothsayer and his mates jumped in crying about two years ago. Grow up.

The Mayor had the gumption to ban posters like willy but allow this rot to continue.ConfusedOuchAngry

VSP where are you when we need you? ShockedEmbarrassed

Ormond View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ormond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 8:52am
How is the forum that "You and the next 2 posters down"were ejected from going.Being a administrator you seem to spend a lot of time at this forum,is it because the majority have left and there is nothing doing at previous forum.I find it quite sad that you have to come here when you have your own site,is it because  you have no one to talk to,or you are missing us so much you just had to follow.Thats what sheep do?
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon the Pom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 10:40am
i  also  spend  time  on  the  betfair forum  every  day  ormond  ..

and  im  not  an  administrator  im  just  part  of a  team  that wants a  decent pleasent forum  for  people  to  view  ..  one where  the  threads  stay  on  topic  without  being  constantly  trolled  and  trashed  by  4  or 5  posters who  think  quantity of  posting  is  far  better  than  quality  of  input....

today  alone  this  is  my first  reply  to  you  ..  but  the  fact  is  you  have  tried  atleast  6  times  to  goad  me  into a  reply  about  a  forum  i  happen to  use  and  help  out  on..  no  mention of  the  several  other forums  i  frequent  on  a  daily  basis  .. just  blatant  trolling  ..  and  there is absolutely  no  need for any  of  it  ..

i  joined  this  thread  to  just  pass  on  my  experience  ..  for  what  its  worth.. ..

Ormond View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ormond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 10:53am
There must be more than 24 hours in a day where you come from Lay Low/Jon the Pom.What a sad life you live
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon the Pom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 11:02am
not  on  the  planet  i  come  from  ormond  theres  only  24  ..

whats  wrong  in  being  a  member  of  several  forums  either  sports  forums  or  technical  forums  ..

i  like  reading  and  i  like  to  help  people with  computer issues  ..  just  as  people  helped  me  there  when  i  was  a  novice..

its  all  tabbed  browsing  so  wheres  the  issue..

Ormond View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ormond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 9:52pm
It is very sad that you have to stay hidden behind a computer screen 24/7 go travelling,get into sport,get a life
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon the Pom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Ormond Ormond wrote:

It is very sad that you have to stay hidden behind a computer screen 24/7 go travelling,get into sport,get a life

thanks  for  the  free  consultation....

bit  ironic  really  that  kind  of  advice  from  a sick  ..  possibly  phychotic  man.. 
Ormond View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ormond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 6:12am
Not as thick as some
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 6:25am

Fellas, come on now.

Not a real good look.  How about just joining each other in the Chat Room to exchange pleasantries rather than putting on a public display of pointless one-up-man-ship where there's never any winner. 

Or maybe just give it a miss.  Wink

It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 6:29am
Originally posted by Riceman Riceman wrote:

There hasn't been a bigger mob of sooks like the 121 mob join these forums since Soothsayer and his mates jumped in crying about two years ago. Grow up.

The Mayor had the gumption to ban posters like willy but allow this rot to continue.ConfusedOuchAngry

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

LOL
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon the Pom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 6:58am

runforfun.

as  you  will  see  the  thread  topic about  site  moderation  in  the  site  feedback catagory .. 

im  new  here  and  being  so  i  have  been  doing  alot  of  reading  of all  catagories  ..  and  in  doing  so  i  have  discovered  who  in  my  opinion 
seems  to  be  genuinely  knowledgable  and  extremely  serious  in  their  usage  and  those  who  take  foruming   a  little  on  the  light  side  just  as  i  would  in  real  life  ive  looked  and  listened  to  those  with  whome  i  am  sharing  this  space  with  ..

i  am  genuine  when  i  say  this  forum  has  certain members  that  i  know  instinctively  i  am  going  to  get  along  with  famously  as  humour
is  the  main  reason  i  forum  now  at  all  ..  i  like  aussie  forums  as  i  like  their/your  brand  of  humour  ..  and  your  willingness  in general  to  speak  your  minds  on  hot topics  ..  as  well  as  the  thumb  up  the  ass  to  political  correctness  a  disease  that  has  riuned  foruming  on  general  banter  forums   imo..

my post  to  this  topic  was  on  topic  and  made  to  correct  a  mistatement  as  well  as  passing  on a  bit  of  past  foruming  experience  ..  its  quite  unoquivical  so  far  isnt  it..

now  i  cannot  control  this  guy  ormonds  behaviour  ..  i  do  however  have  control  of  how  i  respond  to  his  behavior  ..  you  will  not  see  me  dragged  into  schoolboy  pettiness  with him  or  any  other  user/poster  its  not  my  style  ..  sometimes  i  have  to correct  a  blatant  incorrect  statement/untruth  ..  but  as i  know  they are  only  made  to  taunt  me  i  reply  very  seldomly..

how  would  you  respond  to  his  constant  trolling  ..  and    his  phycho  PMs  ..  you  see  runfor  i  have  and  will  continue  to  try  and  avoid  the  guy  ..  but  he  fust  wont  have  it  ..  so  come  on  runfor  you  tell  me  how  i should  handle  him..

but  if  it   were   you

Nathan000 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Riceman Riceman wrote:

Posts like these don't help. We have joined this site and immediately copped a hard run from other new members and even a couple of regular users. Everything has quietened up over the last few days and i hope it will stay the same.

doreen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2008 at 5:34am
It has noticeably improved somewhat Nathan - I would agree. Hope it stays like this. The new members (and please include yourself) who have actively sought to be a part of this community in a respectful manner are very welcome here - its been great to see a few new faces in the Joffs Bar.Smile
Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2008 at 9:18am
I think it has been a breath of fresh air.

I'm now used to all the newbies.

Most of them have been very nice.

Big welcome to Nathan Hug

Mezza View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2008 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Wortel Wortel wrote:

Nath is a favourite no matter which forum he is on   -  everybody loves nathan  Smile
doreen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2008 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Mezza Mezza wrote:

Nath is a favourite no matter which forum he is on   -  everybody loves nathan  Smile

Sounds like a sitcomSmile
Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2008 at 5:01am
I just like him because he is a Sainter. The more the merrier.

This place was getting full of up themselves Cats and Pies supporters LOL
Mezza View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2008 at 6:35am

I just like him because he is a Sainter. The more the merrier.

This place was getting full of up themselves Cats and Pies supporters LOL

I tried to hate him for that Wortel, but I just couldn't.

He's a good boy is our nathan Wink
Nathan000 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2008 at 10:35am
Thanks alot guys Smile

You know Wortel, Mezza is a Pies supporter Ermm but she's alright. Thumbs%20Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic