Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Folau - Higgins/Lehrmann P193

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 354>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

So if you want to play Rugby in Australia your not allowed to express your religious beliefs ? Rugby Australia should not bend over for the Corporate sponsorship if that sort of restriction is put on players. By the way, how is Folau being divisive ? He's prepared to play alongside the ones he derides - the drunks, the adulterers, the fornicators, the homosexuals. He is the one being sidelined & discriminated against by RA ( & that little Irish Qantas twat that no one can stand)

No, if you want your salary pumped up to $1million a year by corporate sponsors instead of the $40,000 a year if it depended solely on gate receipts and tv ratingsWink, you do what the sponsors want. It's a very simple commercial transaction.
True - so it is RA rolling over for the dollar. Why should someone wanting to play Rugby not be able to express their religious thoughts ? - just because RA don't rate "religous expression" highly its not Folaus fault

Of course it’s about the dollar. That’s how business operates.

This is a standard employment code of conduct issue. Has nothing to do with freedom of speech. There are behavioural requirements in every workplace and if you breach them you face consequences. In the case of Israel Falau he is going to lose his job as he has already been warned. This is stance Rugby Australia has taken. Some people like you may be turned off and that is fine but I’m willing to bet more people will be applauding them.
I dont agree with what he said. I'm not sure it is a standard employment code of conduct. It is stopping him from expressing religious views that can be easily sourced from the bible. Would it be reasonable for RA's contract to prohibit someone talking about Climate Change or Gender Fluidity .  
Refer ALP Election Promises
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:47pm

1 Corinthians 6:9–11

Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers — none of these will inherit the kingdom of God. And this is what some of you used to be. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

This is one of the most damning, hurtful, and misused passages that Christians have often used to LGBTQ people to convince them of their sin. In essence, many Christians will shoot this Biblical bullet in the heart of others to condemn people straight to hell.

This needs to stop. If not yesterday, today.

This is one of those passages that, I would argue, has a direct corollary to the rise in gay Christian suicides in the past generation.

My friend Matthew Vines shares:

I am far from the only gay Christian who has heard the claim that gay people will not inherit the kingdom of God. That message is plastered on protest signs at gay-pride parades. It’s shouted by roaming street preachers at busy intersections and on college campuses. The result is that, for many lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, all that they’ve heard about the kingdom of God is that they won’t be in it.

The problem is, people have horrifically misunderstood two simple words in this ancient letter that St. Paul wrote to an early Christian community in the trade city of Corinth.

The words are: malakoi and arsenkoitai.

Matthew goes on to define malakoi as “effeminate.” It’s a Greek word that literally means “soft” and is used to describe fine clothing elsewhere in the New Testament. In a moral context, this word is actually more about “lack of self-control, weakness, laziness, or cowardice.” My friend David, a pastor who got kicked out of his church for false accusations, told me over nachos recently that this word is actually about people who were “spineless.” Soft to the point that they wouldn’t stand up for injustice or what truly matters. Irony of ironies, huh?

There were sexual connotations for “malakoi” as well, but again, it always points backs to uncontrolled acts of lust or misused sexuality — no matter the gender or act. The word was not understood to reference same-sex behavior in the church until after the 20th century, when Bible translations adopted a new slant.

Arsenkoitai is more bizarre and hard to grasp. Many believe that St. Paul actually invented the word, as it is extremely rare in ancient Greek literature.

The word literally is a combination of two other words in Greek: arsen (male) and koites (bed). So, arsenkoitai could be translated literally as “male-bedders.” And this word was understood by Bible translators before the 20th century to mean male-male sexual intercourse.

But when the word is used elsewhere in ancient Greek literature, it references the abuse of the poor (as in the Sibylline Oracles) or “economic exploitation and power abuses (as in a 2nd century text called the Acts of John).” The Acts of John lists arsenkoitai amongst a list of sins separate from a catalog of other sexual sins. Many believe (as Vines so cogently breaks down) that arsenkoitai is about economic abuses and exploitation.

Which is why the ancient act of “pederasty” is often brought up in relation to passages like this— the practice of Greek elite elder men who would adopt young men to use as sexual objects. Again, having nothing to do with LGBTQ loved ones, friends, and colleagues who are looking to live as good neighbors.

https://medium.com/@adamnicholasphillips/the-bible-does-not-condemn-homosexuality-seriously-it-doesn-t-13ae949d6619

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:55pm
Yeah - thanks Tlazz. Now i get it. The Bible is really right behind the LBGTQ community.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:01pm
Is restricting religious expression normally in a workplace  acceptable behavior agreement ? Would not of thought so. I mean there might be some general statement saying you cant set out to upset / discriminate against people. But lets face it - what doesn't upset some folk these days.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:05pm
Folau was also quick to point out that he said it with "lots of love"Confused
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:05pm

So if you want to play Rugby in Australia your not allowed to express your religious beliefs ? Rugby Australia should not bend over for the Corporate sponsorship if that sort of restriction is put on players. By the way, how is Folau being divisive ? He's prepared to play alongside the ones he derides - the drunks, the adulterers, the fornicators, the homosexuals. He is the one being sidelined & discriminated against by RA ( & that little Irish Qantas twat that no one can stand)

No, if you want your salary pumped up to $1million a year by corporate sponsors instead of the $40,000 a year if it depended solely on gate receipts and tv ratingsWink, you do what the sponsors want. It's a very simple commercial transaction.
True - so it is RA rolling over for the dollar. Why should someone wanting to play Rugby not be able to express their religious thoughts ? - just because RA don't rate "religous expression" highly its not Folaus fault

This is a standard employment code of conduct issue. Has nothing to do with freedom of speech. There are behavioural requirements in every workplace and if you breach them you face consequences. In the case of Israel Falau he is going to lose his job as he has already been warned. This is stance Rugby Australia has taken. Some people like you may be turned off and that is fine but I’m willing to bet more people will be applauding them.
I dont agree with what he said. I'm not sure it is a standard employment code of conduct. It is stopping him from expressing religious views that can be easily sourced from the bible. Would it be reasonable for RA's contract to prohibit someone talking about Climate Change or Gender Fluidity .  

Of course it’s a code of conduct issue. You sign a contract and you need to abide by it. How do you think you’d go in a normal office if you put up a print out of what he posted on your desk so everyone could see it? The same would happen. You’d be warned and then if you did it again you’d likely be shown the door.

Climate change is not an issue that is going to result in people being discriminated against. Gender fluidity? Yeh you’re probably going to have an issue if you decide to broadcast negative opinions of transgender people around the office.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:07pm

Is restricting religious expression normally in a workplace  acceptable behavior agreement ? Would not of thought so. I mean there might be some general statement saying you cant set out to upset / discriminate against people. But lets face it - what doesn't upset some folk these days.

See my post above. Try putting up a poster up next to your desk at work with what he posted on it. Let us know how long you last.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:13pm

Of course it’s a code of conduct issue. You sign a contract and you need to abide by it. How do you think you’d go in a normal office if you put up a print out of what he posted on your desk so everyone could see it? The same would happen. You’d be warned and then if you did it again you’d likely be shown the door.

Climate change is not an issue that is going to result in people being discriminated against. Gender fluidity? Yeh you’re probably going to have an issue if you decide to broadcast negative opinions of transgender people around the office.
Your missing my point totally. Folau wants to play Rugby. Its RA that have come up with a contract that the players have to abide by. So in effect Folau has to curb his well founded biblical views in order to play. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:15pm

See my post above. Try putting up a poster up next to your desk at work with what he posted on it. Let us know how long you last.
You maybe correct re a workplace poster. Not sure it would be if it was a comment on social media.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:33pm
Few other points worth noting. Qantas have a commercial agreement with Emirates. I wonder how much the treatment of homosexuality comes up in that. Death by stoning for instance. Also it is estimated that almost half of our rugby players are of Polynesian background. Strong fundamental christian beliefs are common with them. So why commit to a standards contract that many of your players do not believe in ?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:39pm
& i have also got to say that I really struggle with that women/bloke running RA . Not PC i know - but i really don't care. How would those big boofy islanders ever take her/him seriously
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:56pm

Your missing my point totally. Folau wants to play Rugby. Its RA that have come up with a contract that the players have to abide by. So in effect Folau has to curb his well founded biblical views in order to play. 

Not missing the point at all. They have come up with a contract that players have to abide by just life every other workplace does. The difference here is that being a public figure his obligations to abide by the code of conduct don’t end when he walks off the field. His public actions constitute the workplace as everything he says and does reflects directly on the employer. People see his comments as Israel Folau the rugby star not Israel Folau the random nobody on TBV.

Presumably you think it would be fine for a player to preach radical Islamic hate messages in the name of religion?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:57pm
I have had to deal with the door knockers quite a bit in recent years.
Usually these intruders have young children in their company.

I tell them To stay away, as the child abuse they portray, upsets me , and my Allah hates competition.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I tell them To stay away, as the child abuse they portray, upsets me , and my Allah hates competition.

You mean bible-bashers turn up at your with children?Shocked Seen a lot of bible-bashers at my front door but never any kids with them.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:56pm

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

You mean bible-bashers turn up at your with children?Shocked Seen a lot of bible-bashers at my front door but never any kids with them.

Regular occurance Tlaz...   Your area might have cheaper child care areas .
   Appears to be the go now days .... Start on them early and add climate change to the agenda. Pay School teachers to join the Club.   
The finished product is awesome and they finish up playing Rugby codes and spread the message..   
   Who made the World .===   " God made the world ".       OHHHH for the memories.   The Nuns had the "Habit" way back.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 10:57pm
Quite simple contractual code of conduct issue.

Last year he went on a homophobic rant. RA gave him another chance and redrew his contract strengthening the code of conduct parts. 

He blew it up last week. Screwed himself.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Last year he went on a homophobic rant. RA gave him another chance and redrew his contract strengthening the code of conduct parts. 

The early days brain wash, has quite a price to pay in maturity.

We can use all the " beliefs " BS we like, but it doesn't change the fact

A Chronic Illness has been engineered and " GOD " himself won't change that.

There, deeply embedded, to surface throughout life.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Not sure it will end up "Quite Simple" PT. Has lots of support from both the general community  & also within the playing / coaching groups. 
Also my understanding is the contract was not changed & strengthened as you suggest. He did get a formal warning
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:17am
Its one thing to break a code of conduct that is generally accepted by the community as being poor behavior. For example, the Todd Carney & Mitchell Pearce breaches were clearly that (even though Pearce was only handed a suspension - not a termination). To my mind it is quite another for someone expressing a religious belief that is based on reasonable grounds in the view of many (ie the Bible). You can also argue that RA penned a contract that was going to be at odds with the religious beliefs of many of the players in the game - & was a time bomb ready to go off considering the large number of fundamental Christians (Polynesians) involved.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:22am
You can show your religious beliefs without posting a radical rant on stalkbook. 
These blokes know the rules , and sign a piece of paper agreeing that they know and will abide by them.
He is gone and good riddance. 
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:25am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

You can show your religious beliefs without posting a radical rant on stalkbook. 
These blokes know the rules , and sign a piece of paper agreeing that they know and will abide by them.

Correct AA!

When you sign a contract you are bound by the terms. If you breach one of those terms there are penalties. That goes for both parties. No one is forced to sign a contract to play football for a million bucks a year. There is no one at Rugby Australia waiting with a loaded gun pointed at the back of a players head insisting they sign.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:27am

Radical ? Straight out of the bible pretty much. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:29am

You hear a lot of christians preaching this sort of stuff? Which church do you go to?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:32am

Correct AA!

When you sign a contract you are bound by the terms. If you breach one of those terms there are penalties. That goes for both parties. No one is forced to sign a contract to play football for a million bucks a year. There is no one at Rugby Australia waiting with a loaded gun pointed at the back of a players head insisting they sign.
Of course there is. He wants to play rugby - where else can he go & do it. People like him who have fundamental religious views should not be "forced" to sign a contract they don't agree with just to play the game he loves.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:34am

Its one thing to break a code of conduct that is generally accepted by the community as being poor behavior. For example, the Todd Carney & Mitchell Pearce breaches were clearly that (even though Pearce was only handed a suspension - not a termination). To my mind it is quite another for someone expressing a religious belief that is based on reasonable grounds in the view of many (ie the Bible). You can also argue that RA penned a contract that was going to be at odds with the religious beliefs of many of the players in the game - & was a time bomb ready to go off considering the large number of fundamental Christians (Polynesians) involved.

The only requirement was that IF not express views publicly that marginalise any groups in our society.
He was counseled and reprimanded previously, and agreed not to repeat such actions.
And then he did.

You should recall in the first episode,several key sponsors were considering cancelling their deals based on his actions.
Any business has the right to protect their commercial interests.
When it’s an employee that’s threatening their relationships, of course they have the right to protect their interests,under the terms of their employment contracts.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:35am

You hear a lot of christians preaching this sort of stuff? Which church do you go to?
In the current climate they cant say boo. There are a lot of "No" voters out there E&E - & most of them have a basic religious foundation behind it
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:36am

Correct AA!

Of course there is. He wants to play rugby - where else can he go & do it. People like him who have fundamental religious views should not be "forced" to sign a contract they don't agree with just to play the game he loves.

No, he is not forced at all. That is nonsense. There are plenty of things I would like to do but for various reasons can’t. So what? If his religious beliefs are the number 1 priority in his life and he’s not willing to compromise them that’s cool but it comes at the expense of not being able to play in this instance. Life is full of choices. He appears to have made his.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:37am
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

The only requirement was that IF not express views publicly that marginalise any groups in our society.
He was counseled and reprimanded previously, and agreed not to repeat such actions.
And then he did.

You should recall in the first episode,several key sponsors were considering cancelling their deals based on his actions.
Any business has the right to protect their commercial interests.
When it’s an employee that’s threatening their relationships, of course they have the right to protect their interests,under the terms of their employment contracts.
& ironically he is being marginalised 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:39am

In the current climate they cant say boo. There are a lot of "No" voters out there E&E - & most of them have a basic religious foundation behind it

That is the excuse trotted out time and time again. They can’t say boo? Please! Reality is his views are at the extreme end of the scale.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:45am

Correct AA!

No, he is not forced at all. That is nonsense. There are plenty of things I would like to do but for various reasons can’t. So what? If his religious beliefs are the number 1 priority in his life and he’s not willing to compromise them that’s cool but it comes at the expense of not being able to play in this instance. Life is full of choices. He appears to have made his.
& he is on record as saying he puts his religious belief before Rugby. Just dont think he should be made to make that choice. See i don't think you can equate your "other things" response with a religious belief. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 354>