Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Foal issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foal issues
    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 10:42am
Hello everyone.   I am really hoping some of you have a answer for this as I sure as hell don’t.    I had a maiden mare foal and filly on Tuesday night. It passed
Meconium in normal time with the help of enema    It has been confined to a stable since with mum being a cow of a thing and is now suckling normally. It urinates properly   At 36 hours it started straining as if to pass more poo but cannot seem to pass any. I drenched it with 100ml of paraffin oil at 2pm yesterday and also have it on pain killers. The oil is now passing through nicely, but still no manure, my vet is perplexed as all signs point to a healthy foal.   Has any one seen this and have you any advice?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 1:35pm
If a phosphorous based enema was used it may have irritated the anus, and internally also.  If a whole human one was used that will most likely had the same affect as they're too harsh.

Other than that maybe just get the vet in.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 2:26pm
In case you missed this 2nd Chance: ".......my vet is perplexed as all signs point to a healthy foal."

Any update ianb? 
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 2:39pm
All very well Gay, however it won't stay healthy if it doesn't defecate.

If an intrusive enema was used, not to say it was, that fact needs to be conveyed to the vet in order that he or she can suggest determine how the possible irritation might be alleviated.
ianb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ianb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 2:56pm
No a lot of improvement in this case, foal still alive. The last bowel movement I noticed was 16 hours after birth, when it was predominantly the first major bowel movement after passing the meconium. We’ve all seen that one. Thick yellow brownsish.
The Filly now just strains and strains and urinates only which is why I called out my vet at approximately 30 hours old. Here we cave her a diluted paraffin oil enema plus 100ml oil via stomach tube.   The enema virtually did nothing, the oil took the typical 12 hours to pass through, but still no solid movement. I yesterday gave her 30ml DMSO with 300ml milk via stomach tube as well as antibiotics and painkillers.   Still no joy    Pulse, respiration, temp all normal, just not able to poo
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:28pm
Twisted Bowl?
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:48pm
Possibly but hopefully not, Atresia Coli, which requires surgery recovery early , any bloating with the foal? Possibly A meconium impaction father back At the end of intestinal tract start of the gastric tract.
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:28pm
Any chance of passing a camera up the back passage to see if for some reason the bowel is narrowed somewhere? Or maybe the opposite and has a lax colon, so that it doesn't contract and push the stools through?  How much is she suckling?
 Post Reply Post Reply