Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Extinction Rebellion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extinction Rebellion
    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:27am
No doubt in the coming months this rabble of activists will , in an attempt to attract attention for their cause for climate change, will be making headlines. Only in the past week they have made their intention clear that they want  to disrupt the Australian Open Tennis. What has tennis go to do with climate change ? Could the rackets or tennis balls be manufactured in some way to cause climate change ?
They also intend to protest at Tullamarine Airport, which has more relevance because planes fly on aviation fuel. Hang on, if aircrafts have no fuel how would these activists travel interstate , drive you say, hang on, cars also need fuel. Maybe they should all buy a push bike , hang on, are not bikes manufactured from steel or other products that require power to be generated by electricity, which requires...no I need say no further. They are idiots.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:39am
I hope this isn't from your Abbott ''source'' Bob. Embarrassed
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:10am
PT, no Herald Sun.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:35am
Just for info looked up its site.  It lists a series of planned seminas, workshops and demonstrations.

Nothing about Tullamarine.  As for the Open, this is what Commander Tim Hanson of Vic Police has publicly said:

"We know Extinction Rebellion will be down here during the course of the Open, not necessarily as I'm advised to protest but to provide awareness to those that are coming and going. We will monitor that quite actively. We are not aware of any specific protest that is planned directed towards the Australian Open."

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

No doubt in the coming months this rabble of activists will , in an attempt to attract attention for their cause for climate change, will be making headlines. Only in the past week they have made their intention clear that they want  to disrupt the Australian Open Tennis. What has tennis go to do with climate change ? Could the rackets or tennis balls be manufactured in some way to cause climate change ?
They also intend to protest at Tullamarine Airport, which has more relevance because planes fly on aviation fuel. Hang on, if aircrafts have no fuel how would these activists travel interstate , drive you say, hang on, cars also need fuel. Maybe they should all buy a push bike , hang on, are not bikes manufactured from steel or other products that require power to be generated by electricity, which requires...no I need say no further. They are idiots.

No they would mostly be on pensions of some sort, and travel all over the eastern states for free on the trains.  Carrying banners and megaphpnes is bad on your back, and you cant hold a job and be all over the place rallying the gullible at the same time.
Travel by diesal powered machines is different when you are getting it for free, dontcha ya know !!!
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:59am
Just for info looked up its site.  It lists a series of planned seminars, workshops and demonstrations.

Are they synonyms for blocking off roads, traffic and pedestrians going about their daily business ?  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:06am
Take your hand off it Bob, and try not to post any more make believe news such as the Abbott bogan non-event, or supposed disruption at Tullamarine airport.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:17am
Be grateful these people have the time, gumption and  desire to protest.
They are not all down and outers; there seem to be a reasonable amount of older folk.

Too many of the population dont relate to problems unless it happens to them directly.
While they can get their air conditioning, fuel, water from the tap, food when how and what when, water the garden etc etc

Who uses a clothes dryer nowadays, with all the sunshine? What a criminal waste of energy, and ,frankly just lazy, 

How disappointing that new years resolutions didnt at least involve something to minimise waste.

It will be argued its not climate change but s**t you can do something to help the drought that is happening AT THE MOMENT.

I can remember as a kid the campaign to turn of dripping taps to save water. Stuck with me. As a society we should ask how can we help, not criticise those who get of their A**e to do something.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:43am
Don't worry   As long as we have rats, feral cats and dogs and cockroaches to pass on to future generations all is not lost.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:33pm
they are not all down and outers; there seem to be a reasonable amount of older folk.

Exactly, pensioners travelling for free in some cases and $2.50 in others.  With lots of time on their hands , and its good to escape the nursing home/retirement village sometimes.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:46pm
How the hell would you know who comprises their numbers?

The bottom line is like it or not they're people attempting to bring climate change to the forefront of discussion, and to paint them all as pensioners, bludgers and nursing home residents is just simply nonsensical.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 3:41pm
LOLThumbs Up
Just sayin', having seen first hand the ones who chain themselves to trees and railways lines. 
animals before people.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:14pm
Shame some here are wanting to denigrate people who stand up for what they believe in. It is called free speech. Perhaps you have heard that and may even support it.
If you don't stand up for what you believe in you will fall for anything.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:50pm
No reasonable person would object to peaceful protests, however if other members of the community are impacted by those protests they are entitled to question how and when they take place.
Hold a protest on Sunday afternoon in the Domain, or at some sporting oval where there is no competition on the day, but in the CBD in peak hour is pushing the barrow a little too far.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 5:16pm
Exactly. Izzy did just that Tongue
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

No reasonable person would object to peaceful protests, however if other members of the community are impacted by those protests they are entitled to question how and when they take place.
Hold a protest on Sunday afternoon in the Domain, or at some sporting oval where there is no competition on the day, but in the CBD in peak hour is pushing the barrow a little too far.

If there's a prize for naivete you'd win hands down Bob.  Not to mention the other bloke.

If someone is seeking to massively sell a product on TV they don't advertise at 3.00am in the morning when the audience of 30 or so along with the Doc.  Nor do people, whatever their concern, just run up a few posters and stroll around a largely vacant playground.

No, ER will have a presence at the Australian Open because 800,000 people will walk through the turnstiles and thus provide an outstanding opportunity to promote the alleged problems being created by global warming and climate change.

Their is no apparent threat, at least according to the Victorian Police Commander in charge at Rod Laver, that the presence of ER will be disruptive to either patrons or the tournament.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:06pm
SC, I am going to the Australian Open on Monday and if any of that ER mob block my entry I will call the police to clear my entry if I still cannot gain entry I will spray them with my aerated drink bottle, which might be the only shower they will have for the week.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:15pm
Thanks Bob, not that I give a toss.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Thanks Bob, not that I give a toss.

That is nice to hear, it has taken you quite a while to admit you do not “ give a toss” for that ER mob,
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:11am
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

Shame some here are wanting to denigrate people who stand up for what they believe in. It is called free speech. Perhaps you have heard that and may even support it.
If you don't stand up for what you believe in you will fall for anything.

Stand up for it all you like as long as you dont impact on others and try shoving it down their/my throat.  Like the tree huggers who hammer metal spikes into trees, so when the chain saw hits the metal spike the bloke gets injured badly. 
No silent majority person is happy to support those out beating their drum, wasting police resources, and blocking roads etc. Telling the rest of us we are bad humans because we dont agree with them, all the while living off the tax payer funded hand outs. 
I certainly agree with standing up and having your say for what you believe in,  I do it all the time here, but dont let it impact on others, and dont get in the face of those who dont agree with you.
animals before people.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:07am
The silent majority are the ones that have got us to the edge of ecocide.Big smile
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:21am
The silent majority concept is a furphy. How do you know they exist if they are silent? Do they have a secret Facebook group where they all congregate to discuss their views away from the prying eyes of the rest of society?
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:50am
That’s exactly the attitude that causes the left to get beaten in elections consistently! Elections aren’t decided on Facebook or any other social media . They’re decided by ordinary people who don’t obsess about politics 24/7 but are just out living their lives. They decide the issues that are important to them and vote accordingly at the election. They don’t bother with arguing about politics on social media. You can’t win elections without understanding the electorate . Lecturing people is not the way to go. Shutting down debate is just stupid. The current bush fire situation is a classic example. People who live in the bush know what the problem is. Calling them “ climate deniers” and “ Murdoch stooges” just ensures you’ve lost them . The left should try listening to people for a change.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 10:14am
Absolutely correct. On this forum I come from the right like a few others, whereas some like PT & SC and some others come from the progressive or left side of the political spectrum. When I attempt to discuss politics with my children, friends or acquaintances most do not care that much , they take a bit more interest when elections are announced, but for the rest of the time they just get along with their lives.
Although we on this forum argue to our faces are blue in the real world we are only arguing amongst ourselves, which for some fills in their time.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:10am
Exactly.  Have a chat to friends and aquaintances and most cant be bothered with politics, until election time, and then they vote accordingly.  Politics is the last thing most normal people choose to talk about around the barbie on Sat night.  And they are the silent majority, because they do speak at voting time.
The rabid political geeks on TBV, and in the polls of the faithful,  were 100% certain Bill was going to be our next PM, but look what happened.  The silent majority spoke, and said he did nothing to float their boat.  Same thing happened in USA.
Now I dont need PT or SC coming in and pointing out the rights or wrongs of it, as I already know over and over what their political views are on the subject. 
All I am saying is, a big % of the population,s views get forgotton , because they dont get out there waving banners and shoving it in peoples faces .  For every one person like PT who will talk politics until the cows come home, there are dozens who dont bother until voting time.  And right or wrong , they are the ones who end up influencing the outcome, so ignore them at your peril.
animals before people.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:31am
Hire a steam roller
EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:38am
I am to believe some people have more passion for their favourite football team than they have for politics. I am a paid up member of an AFL team, if they win or lose I do not dwell on the result, fully understanding it is only a game but watching some of the supporters behind the goals I often wonder what they might do in between matches during the week.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 1:19pm
Unfortunately the majority of the silent majority are also uneducated and are swayed easily by propaganda.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 1:58pm
Think of electorate anyway you want but they are the ones you have to appeal to if you want to win an election. Just a hint . Talking down to people who don’t necessarily agree with you isn’t a good start.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

Unfortunately the majority of the silent majority are also uneducated and are swayed easily by propaganda.

I would not like to agree, and give people the benefit of the doubt

However, my daughter told me that the last election was rigged and bs should have won.

Considering she only gets her news from facebook.....

I was stunned, then appalled then sad.

Who else has heard of the election being rigged?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>