Please visit VillageBet for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Emu Epidemic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air Seattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emu Epidemic
    Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 3:17pm
Race 3 @ Eagle Farm sees winner disqualified due to jock weighing in light.  However, no annoucement made til correct weight is declared.  Surely if there is a problem with weight an annoucement MUST be made immediately, not 20 mins after the race.  The trots keep you updated, surely the gallops can too!!

Yes punters should hold tickets until weight declared, however we all know this isn't the case.  This result has affected every bet type and yet Sky gave no warning of what was happening.  Just another instance where racing comes up short.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 3:19pm
You answer your own complaint.

"Yes punters should hold tickets until weight declared"
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:00pm
You said that correct weight had been declared, how is that possible, Surely that did not happen.

The jockeys all weigh in before correct weight is declared. You can not declare correct weight until everyone of the top 5 at least have weighed in, and surely te discrepancy was seen immediately after the weight was taken.

If what you say is true then the Queensland races are rigged. And yes you can quote me on that 100%.

That would make the protest last week and the He's Remarkable debacle look like 100%correct decisions. 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Air Seattle View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air Seattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:14pm
sorry if I didn't make it clear.  Correct weight was declared once the 'original winner' was disqualified.  My gripe is simply that nobody informed the punters what was going on that was all until the matter was finalised.  Maybe I'm asking for too much.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:16pm
I dare say correct weight was delayed as they want looking for bridles and God know's what trying to get the weight under the half kilo.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:47pm
Without a shadow of a doubt, horses that weigh in light should become scratchings and the punter gets his money back, the notion that the punter does his money cold because someone else stuffs up has got whiskers on it.
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:52pm
Disgraceful a punter loses his money on a light one..lost a small fortune on one that weighed in half a kilo light in WA couple of years ago...effing joke, the TAB assumes you were in the know or some sh!t.
SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Quezacotl Quezacotl wrote:

Disgraceful a punter loses his money on a light one..lost a small fortune on one that weighed in half a kilo light in WA couple of years ago...effing joke, the TAB assumes you were in the know or some sh!t.
Punters been treated like milking cows for years, trouble is sometime left the gate open and the cows have pissed off !
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:07pm
I'm pretty sure the bridle can't be called for these days Smile
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the bridle can't be called for these days Smile
Maybe so, Gay, I don't know. If not, the long delay seems unnecessary.
Blind Faith View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blind Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 9:00pm
Lack of communication between stewards and race broadcasters. Not good enough in a professional industry. Was the warning siren sounded on course?
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 9:27pm
You got it on Sky World, Freedman gave detail on it, then they came back for Olsen to go through it- before weight was declared.

Nothing on the pokies channel?
@value_punter
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 9:34pm
What sort of douchebag jovkey weights out light knowing he is on a horse with a chance..?

Jockeys weight out over and under all the time if they know they aren't going run in the first 6.. A punter has no idea when this happening, but goes a long to explaining how some horse's can improve dramatically for no foreseen reason.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 9:46pm

What sort of douchebag jovkey weights out light knowing he is on a horse with a chance..?

Jockeys weight out over and under all the time if they know they aren't going run in the first 6.. A punter has no idea when this happening, but goes a long to explaining how some horse's can improve dramatically for no foreseen reason.
You are not as silly as you look, Quez,  LOL they should weigh-in ALL runners, there are strong rumours of horses running 5 and 6 kg overweight and needless to say they don't have to weigh in because they are bloody well stonkered !
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 9:54pm
Rofl..oldest trick in the book max..
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:34am
The jock must of took a no 1 behind the barriers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:57am
This business of a 'shock' weigh-in light disqualification is just another way the brilliant minds running racing  put people off racing, it is disgusting that punters don't at least get refunded. Clearly every horse needs to weigh in and the overweights scratched and refunded as well. Instal a surveillance camera on the jockey scale that will help clear the issue of where the mistake occurred. Punish people who have been found to deliberately alter the weight carried. The principle that if you can't win you can't lose needs to be upheld. You sure as hell cannot win if your horse goes to the barriers underweight.
VaDiM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VaDiM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:57am

Poor kid got a nice write up in the local rag up there.....

He's stated on FB he isn't sure how it happened but may have been the 2100m trip in the heat.

Other than Tomboy, Mr Light Blue was my biggest bet of the day so no complaints here!
The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 11:31am
A real indication of the way racing is operated QR style.
jimbob04 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbob04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 8:09pm
in this day and age how does this happen

mouse View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 8:15pm
max,you don't believe horses are carrying 5 to 6 kg over allocated weight

RoosterCogburn View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoosterCogburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:23am
Anyone tell me why they just don't weigh each jockey before they mount? Then they could just do the winner afterwards to ensure no shenanigans.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:49am
Originally posted by mouse mouse wrote:

max,you don't believe horses are carrying 5 to 6 kg over allocated weight

Sad to say, there are some strong rumours it has happened. How can they be caught out if they only weigh-in the placegetters ? Weigh everything in, hardly a big job.
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 12:02pm
I don't like his excuses either (hot, sweat, etc)... I think it's totally unprofessional and as a horse owner, I wouldn't be letting him ride for me. I guess that's the gamble with apprentices isn't it.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Kingy Kingy wrote:

I don't like his excuses either (hot, sweat, etc)... I think it's totally unprofessional and as a horse owner, I wouldn't be letting him ride for me. I guess that's the gamble with apprentices isn't it.

Let's not hang him without a trial. Who's to know what has transpired (or perspired !) here.
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 1:31pm
Provincial racing..that's where 90% of this riding overweight riding takes place. I've heard stories from their mouths about how they are counting the horse's in front of them in the straight to make sure they are behind the 6th runner. Others who deliberately stack on up to 70kg for a couple of out the back door at the request of the trainer, so when the horse is nearing becoming a chance in a race, he is getting up to 18kgs relief from when he last raced.

Other stories such as, trainer needs a rider replacement as original jockey can't make it to the track or fell earlier etc...jocks will take the ride even though they know are overweight, deliberately miss 6th place, just to get the riding..cop a spray from the the trainer sometimes too.

How a jockey weights in light when they are pulling any of these tricks just beggars belief, and NO WAY IN HELL should any punter not get heir money back, it's a disgrace...

If we start seeing this more frequently, I'd like to suggest that this could actually be being done on purpose, much like a jockey pulling a short one for bookie and cashing in, the same trick could be going on here with these lightweights.

Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 1:32pm
just to get the riding fee
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 1:35pm

Provincial racing..that's where 90% of this riding overweight riding takes place. I've heard stories directly from their mouths (jockeys) about how they are counting the horse's in front of them in the straight, just to make sure they are behind the 6th runner.

Others who deliberately stack on up to 70kg for a couple of out the back door at the request of the trainer, so when the horse is nearing becoming a chance in a race, he is getting up to 18kgs relief from when he last raced.

Other stories such as, a trainer needs a rider replacement, as original jockey can't make it to the track or fell earlier etc...jocks will take the ride even though they know they are overweight, deliberately miss 6th place, just to get the riding fee...will risk copping a spray from the the trainer sometimes too.

How a jockey weights in light when they aren't pulling any of these tricks just beggars belief, and NO WAY IN HELL should any punter not get their money back, it's a disgrace...!!!

If we start seeing this more frequently, I'd like to suggest that this could actually be being done on purpose, much like a jockey pulling a short one for bookie and cashing in, the same trick could be going on here with these lightweights.

Embarrassed
Dead
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 1:45pm
Remembering the Fine Cotton episode and the persistent, but to me nonsensical, rumours that the real plan was to back the second horse, and collect when the winner was disqualified, having got nice odds after the avalanche of money for Fine Cotton altered the market, the immediate rebuttal being that nobbling a hot pot or making sure it weighed in light was a whole lot easier to arrange. If some villain conspired to make a favourite weigh in light, and backed others in the race, there could be no advantage if the fave then became a l/scr and deductions were applied. That there is no refund is criminal.
The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 1:28pm
It looks pretty simple to me.....Weigh the jockey out with his saddle, and then by himself. Before he mounts the horse, all jockeys walk over the scale to see if their weight is the same. If it is, then the trainer must be the one changing the gear.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic