Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Ef Troop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ef Troop
    Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:16pm
I backed this 2yo on debut and it was an enormous win.

Had a break since and won a trial at the Gold Coast by 20 lengths today. It was only a 3 horse heat and who knows what it beat, but McGillivray deadset held on as best he could for the ride, spent the first half trying to strangle him.

He's very fierce and that won't help him in a G1, so he has some learning to come, but he's as fast a 2yo I've seen. If he gets a strong 1200m he will be unbeatable in the Magic Millions.
Sunline...simply supreme
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:19pm
For a minute I thought that bloke that used to rave on about Bob Bentley was back, he was always talking about F-Troop. Can't remember his forum name, hope all is well !
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:34pm
F TROOP
and the RED INDIAN TRIBE...THE HECKAWI (where the f are we)
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

For a minute I thought that bloke that used to rave on about Bob Bentley was back, he was always talking about F-Troop. Can't remember his forum name, hope all is well !

If he's who I think he was (based on username) he's given the training caper away but has taken up the ownership business instead.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

Had a break since and won a trial at the Gold Coast by 20 lengths today. It was only a 3 horse heat and who knows what it beat, but McGillivray deadset held on as best he could for the ride, spent the first half trying to strangle him.

He's very fierce and that won't help him in a G1, so he has some learning to come, but he's as fast a 2yo I've seen. If he gets a strong 1200m he will be unbeatable in the Magic Millions.

I'd be watching out for the McEvoy horse who trialled today Sunline. Easy to say that Jamie Kah rode today because she's here for the Origin series, but she was booked to ride when the trials were on Tuesday and she already had rides at Strath on Wednesday. With $34 available I'd be relatively confident (with no inside info) to say Sunlight is the stable pick for the MM.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:57pm

A maiden winner from 3 race starts won its trial going 12 lengths quicker
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

If he's who I think he was (based on username) he's given the training caper away but has taken up the ownership business instead.

Ah yes, were the initials DC ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:05pm

Ah yes, were the initials DC ?

That's him I think
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:07pm
He was certainly tenacious in his rants against QR, sadly I think things have gone decidedly downhill since he was on the soapbox.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:09pm
Cheers, BlackKnight. Sunlight is a handy filly - and impeccably bred - but I don't think she's good enough on what we saw in the Maribyrnong Trial. Comfortably beaten by Nomothaj, who I don't think is as good as good as its stablemate Qafila.

You think she'd keep up with Ef Troop?
Sunline...simply supreme
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by RED HUNTER RED HUNTER wrote:

A maiden winner from 3 race starts won its trial going 12 lengths quicker

Yep, time was slow but I wasn't expecting a good time. Did you see the trial? He was strangled the whole way. Walked in. Not run for time today so don't be too put off by it. But it does show you can't take much notice of margins in trials!
Sunline...simply supreme
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:22pm
Sorry to hijack Sunline's thread here, but the "f-troop" man was "Bobsghost" aka "Ted E Turner". I'll go away now.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:24pm
His debut win was over 1050m and looked like he'd had enough on line.  The horse he beat by a head that day was beaten 8L at his next start (admittedly on a heavy track).  Basically early 2yo form needs to be taken with a large grain of salt.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:27pm
I saw the win on race day. Impressive.Think it took plenty from the bookies.

Speed to burn but has to curb its manner of racing.

They have a dilemna.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:29pm

Cheers, BlackKnight. Sunlight is a handy filly - and impeccably bred - but I don't think she's good enough on what we saw in the Maribyrnong Trial. Comfortably beaten by Nomothaj, who I don't think is as good as good as its stablemate Qafila.

You think she'd keep up with Ef Troop?

On her run in the Maribyrnong, no I don't. I just found the Kah booking for a random trial on the GC extremely interesting.

Of course, the horse who could have beaten Sunlight in the trial today - by the same sire as Ef Troop - was scratched and kept away from the spotlight at Deagon instead (says the very hopeful puny share owner )
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:34pm
The mother was trained by JASON COYLE and won 2 sprint races (maiden and c1 at Wyong,Kembla) from 10 starts

Sold as a broodmare for 46k

EF TROOP has 2 siblings

CITRAIN (AUS) [2014] (Manhattan Rain (AUS)) 0w-1p-9s $5,300
Race: 900-1400m Won: 0-0m Wet: 0w-0p-3s
This horse has not run in any black type races.

MUCHAS CORONAS (AUS) [2012] (Onemorenomore (AUS)) 2w-3p-12s $13,600
Race: 1000-1400m Won: 1200-1200m Wet: 0w-0p-0s
This horse has not run in any black type races.

(compliments of aapracingandsports)

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:45pm
This one was impressive last SUNDAY at NEWCASTLE. 1/2 fav at first start...a real turn of foot when asked...needs longer

BY 
SPIRIT OF BOOM (also)

JONKER

2yo Bay Colt
D.O.B: 26-Sep-2015
by SPIRIT OF BOOM  from HEARTS AND ARROWS
5x Pedigree Report 

Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 11:01pm
Lordy, very valid points and they are of some concern. I'm not yet convinced he runs a strong 1200m as I've seen 2yos more certain of it get found out in the past. But he was driven a little mad on debut so jury probably still out there.

Red, Jonker was excellent too, I agree.

BlackKnight, good luck with your 2yo. Sounds like it's being 'hidden' haha.
Sunline...simply supreme
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:59pm
He has had 1 start
Just keep that in mind
JoanFerguson View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoanFerguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 1:04pm
Won’t run TOp 3 imho
Enigmatic
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 2:39pm
Yep.

In another postcode.
Sunline...simply supreme
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 2:52pm
He’s a good looking type
Just needs to hold it together for another month, which is a tough ask for a 2yo
If the same horse as today turns up though, sign the cheque now
Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 3:00pm
They won't get near that horse in the MM.
Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 3:01pm

Well picked.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 3:15pm
Outback Barbie gave Sunlight fans a boost there. Still has some ground to make up on the Trooper.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 4:40pm
Must admit I'm surprised they go straight to the MM now. It means no 1200m race prior to see how he handles it, and a month between runs - therefore goes up to 1200m with a month between runs. I hope he pours the work into him!

New Magic Millions favourite was "only going three-quarter pace"

New Magic Millions favourite was "only going three-quarter pace"Tony Gollan has the new Magic Millions 2YO favourite
Article Author

Ben Dorries

Jockey Matt McGillivray said it felt like Ef Troop was going only three-quarter pace as the flying Queenslander zoomed into Gold Coast 2YO Magic Millions favouritism with a scintillating romp at Doomben on Saturday.

Tony Gollan’s juvenile sprinter produced a devastating and sustained burst of speed to win the Listed Phelan Ready Stakes (1110m) by 5¼ lengths and the leading Brisbane trainer said the gelding was the fastest two-year-old he had ever had.

Ef Troop, the son of Gollan’s Group I winner Spirit Of Boom, has now won his first two races and collected more than $125,000 in prizemoney which easily assures him of a start in next month’s rich Magic Millions.

EF Troop will not have another start before the Millions after leaving his four rivals in the Phelan Ready in his wake.

Ef Troop ($2.10 fav) sprinted away with Tony McEvoy’s colt Crockett ($3.20) finishing 5¼ lengths in his wake, with rookie Peter and Paul Snowden colt Commissioner ($5) another 6¼ lengths away in third.

Bookies reacted immediately with Ef Troop the new Magic Millions favourite, as short as $6 with some bookmakers.

The most glowing endorsement came from jockey McGillivray, who also rode the 2YO in a recent 20-length trial win.

“It was amazing – he honestly only felt like he was going three-quarter pace today,” McGillivray said.

“He has a high, long stride and just travelled so well.”

Ef Troop was slightly slow out of the gates but quickly mustered blistering speed to lead the five-horse field and it was a cakewalk from there, although Crockett ran on fairly.

Jamie Kah, who rode Crockett, said the colt would be better over further while McEvoy was in awe of the winner Ef Troop saying: “Gee, that is a smart horse.”

Ef Troop ran a quick time of 63.69secs and Gollan said he would now be put in cotton wool until the Magic Millions.

“He has run quick overall time and he is a very smart horse,” Gollan said. “You won’t see him again until the big day now and we will head to the Millions a month between runs.

“This is definitely the fastest two-year-old I have ever had.”

Earlier in the week as much as $2.90 was available on Ef Troop in the Phelan Ready but the money kept coming for him and he was crunched in on raceday.

Watch Ef Troop destroy the Phelan Ready Stakes field.

Sunline...simply supreme
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 4:46pm
Earlier in the week as much as $2.90 was available on Ef Troop in the Phelan Ready but the money kept coming for him and he was crunched in on raceday.

Not enuff money...
Won like he should of been 1/4on
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 11:28am
Add me to the Ef Troop fan club. My rating for him is good enough to win a Golden Slipper, let alone a MM. He looked to be cruising in the run but his overall time was brilliant. His last 600m was outstanding.

He's bred to be a sprinter, being by Spirit Of Boom out of an Exceed And Excel mare. His dam only won up to 1200m.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 4:57pm

I'd be watching out for the McEvoy horse who trialled today Sunline. Easy to say that Jamie Kah rode today because she's here for the Origin series, but she was booked to ride when the trials were on Tuesday and she already had rides at Strath on Wednesday. With $34 available I'd be relatively confident (with no inside info) to say Sunlight is the stable pick for the MM.

Self praise is no recommendation, but

On Ef Troop himself, what did everyone make of the run yesterday? Gollan apparently very critical of the time he ran for the first 600 (no public comment on how he got to the rail). Thought he battled on well, but given how many caught the backwash on the first corner I won't be queuing up to back him over 1200 at short odds any time soon.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 4:59pm
Gollan has steam coming out of his ears after the race!!
One of the best bakes I’ve seen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>