Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Echuca horse sales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mowie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 7:09pm
also noted the stable that got rid of ahsha had a horse in the race that came 3rd haha
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by mowie mowie wrote:

also noted the stable that got rid of ahsha had a horse in the race that came 3rd haha

I reckon he’s dumped about 30 at Echuca in the past 5 years
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:00pm
Seems Archard isn't the only serial offender Ouch

The Golden Spanner 4yo
Pen/Lot number: 116
Colour: brown
Sex: gelding
Breed: TB
Approx : 16.1

Brooke Douglas Last in all 3 starts, perhaps there's a genuine reason behind this. Looks lovely in the pictures.

Darren Groves Another Templeton trained horse ! Gee there was a few from him last week too!

Kath Gallaway Says a lot about him then doesn't it!

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:15pm
Thats good !  Name and shame Thumbs Up   Some of these blokes couldnt train a choko vine over a s**t house.  Call themselves trainers Cry   But the horses cop the back lash for their incompetence .
animals before people.
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 9:54pm
Let me guess, dumped in raceplates?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 7:52am
Apparently, yes Wink
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 8:45am
Unbelievable.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 1:17pm
Another one dumped today, well bred mare.

PEN 56. Lovely grey mare by Wanted called "Hunted" and has been bred by some astute judges. Her half sister Whistle Baby has won over 500k and dam Guild is a winner of 170k. This mare has a 3 yr old half sister by Reward For Effort to race for it yet.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 1:39pm
Can’t believe this, a yearling by Fiorente out of a mare called Dandenong (also dumped)
What is wrong with some people?
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Can’t believe this, a yearling by Fiorente out of a mare called Dandenong (also dumped)
What is wrong with some people?

Payment on live foal not paid? I agree though, what a waste.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 2:12pm
One would think/hope the ASB would come to the party in terms of registering.
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

One would think/hope the ASB would come to the party in terms of registering.

I doubt it. The block is there to protect studs from not being paid. Also, I tried to reinstate an old “rescue” broodmare to the studbook and they wouldn’t budge on the $800+ in fees to bring her back up to date. (Ie write “not served” for a few years). Very frustrating.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:12pm
My regard for Pat has increased markedly & thanks to all those who go out of their way to ID these TBs, often resulting in their previous trainer, owner or strapper buying them back under similar circumstances as below.

Pat Hyland Racing
1 hr ·

Today Pat Hyland Racing purchased two horses from the Echuca Sales, Southern Crown and Beynac. These horses were previously trained by Pat, to which he retired them and allowed some people to have them as pleasure hacks, under an understanding of them being well looked after and homed for life.
However we are disappointed this was not the case and even more upset to find their names in the Echuca Sales, many of you know this is a final chance for horses to find loving homes.
We are delighted we could save these two and very happy that they will return to Pyingerra Park and get the chance to live out their days along with other retired horses previously trained by Pat.
Below Southern Crown winning the Roy Higgins Quality.

Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 1:12pm

Auction day at Echuca, where horse racing's also-rans await their fate

At the Echuca saleyards, 200km north of the glamour of Melbourne’s spring racing carnival, a row of thoroughbreds are waiting to be auctioned.

They are a mixed bunch. The first has worn a deep track in the dirt of her high-fenced yard and is dark with sweat. A few pens over, another mare is quietly surveying the crowd. She has already been reserved by a buyer who saw her photo on Facebook.

As the auctioneer comes around, a volunteer reads out the horses’ details to the crowd of bidders. They sell quickly and for not very much. A few weeks ago they were part of the $18bn Australian racing industry. Now, unless the bidding goes high enough, they could be headed to an abattoir.It’s a supply chain the racing industry says it’s trying to disrupt. Trainers in both the thoroughbred and harness racing industries must now file a retirement form at the end of every horse’s career that states where it is going next. Selling through livestock sales is discouraged in favour of certified retraining options.

But still the trucks arrive every fortnight, leaving clusters of unlucky racehorses at the mercy of the auction crowd.

Of the 23 thoroughbreds and 15 standardbreds – the breed used in the harness racing industry – sold outside the riding ring at this sale10 go to a buyer who supplies the export horse meat trade.The rest sell to breeders, dealers and a few private homes. Some will begin new lives as riding horses; others will end up back here again.

A degree of mindfulness’

Victoria Armstrong usually arrives early. She carries a scanner which can read the microchips that have been implanted in every thoroughbred registered with the Australian Racing Board since 2003.

The information – age, breeding history, average winnings, likely temperament – are uploaded on the sale’s Facebook page, which has 27,000 followers. As the auctioneer, Andrew Wilson, goes around the pens, Armstrong or another volunteer calls out what the chips say.

“I have been doing it for the last four years and it’s been very successful,” Armstrong says. “We’ve got up to about a 70 to 100% clearance rate [of horses going to good homes] depending on the sale.”

She has been involved in the racing industry for three decades and is a director of Country Racing Victoria. Rehoming efforts are improving, she says, but remain “pretty ad hoc”.

“They are trying to promote a degree of mindfulness amongst the trainers and the owners about where to rehome a horse,” she says. “Some are brilliant, some are not so much.”

Most of Racing Victoria’s efforts have gone into funding the Off the Track program, which promotes ex-racehorses as equestrian prospects through sponsoring events such as the Garryowen, the prestigious turnout class at the Royal Melbourne Show which has been won for seven years in a row by a retired racehorse.

The Garryowen is also credited with the new vogue for standardbreds, which experienced an uptick in popularity after the first standardbred was entered in the extremely snooty event.

“It’s gone from nobody wanted to ride a standardbred to it becoming quite trendy to have one,” says Tanya McDermott, who runs Harness Racing Victoria’s rehoming and retraining program.

Wilson says numbers from the racing industry have decreased but drought caused the number of all horses at this September sale to double. Hay is selling for $300 a tonne; the average sale price per horse (excluding those sold for higher rates in the riding ring) was $485.

Most are non-racing breeds, many from backyard breeders. A small proportion come directly from the track and will go on to the export abattoir in Caboolture, just north of Brisbane.

“There’s two over there on delivery that must have raced last week,” Wilson says. “There’s a lot of them going direct now, they’re going straight to the butcher’s rather than going through here because they don’t want to put up with people carrying on about it.”

Wilson’s preference is that horses go to private homes – the commissions are higher, and there’s a chance they’ll end up back in a few years to be sold again.

The advent of Facebook and the closure of the Laverton knackery has improved outcomes for the horses, he says. Facebook absentee bids now account for more than 10% of purchases.

“These horses come here and, out of 150 horses, only 20 would ever go with their heads off,” he said.

According to Jamie Stier, the general manager of integrity services at Racing Victoria, 90% of retired racehorses are either retained for the breeding industry or used for other equestrian pursuits, and 9% die or are euthanised, leaving just 1% to end up at a saleyard, in the export meat market, or in the domestic pet food trade.

Those figures are drawn from mandatory retirement forms instituted by the Australian Racing Board in 2015. Stier says the figures are “robust” but allows that a horse recorded as rehomed could arrive at the sales via a third party.

“It could be the case where horses don’t go directly but they may end up there after they’ve been through three or four homes,” he says, adding: “The rules of racing only regulate effectively the first transfer out of racing. The horses are then subject to the law of the land.”

The same concern exists in the New South Wales thoroughbred racing industry, which has committed to ban the practice of selling directly to a knackery.

“I think there’s a few that bypass that, because they give them to someone else and then that person takes them to the sales,” Lisa Macumber, a regular attendee at the Echuca horse sales, tells Guardian Australia.

RSPCA Australia’s chief scientist, Bidda Jones, is similarly sceptical. “Someone is selling to pet suppliers because it’s definitely horse meat in pet food,” she says.

At Echuca, that someone is Jack O’Connell, although the percentage of his horses that make it to Sydney pet supplies is uncertain.

Now 72, O’Connell says he has been dealing horses since he was 11. He buys everything that nobody else wants: three young miniature ponies at $70 a head; three donkeys; a bunch of skinny, scrappy quarter horses with ribs sharpened by drought; some ponies of indeterminate origin.

There is more money in rehoming, although not necessarily better animal welfare outcomes. Horses destined for the meat trade are readvertised, at a mark-up, though second-chance Facebook pages.

A 2008 study of 340 horses processed at export abattoirs found 40% were thoroughbreds and 13% standardbreds, and that about 9,000 horses were sent to them each year.

There is no public auditing of horses used for pet food. And because horses are not eaten in Australia there is no requirement to register them in the national livestock traceability program.

The RSPCA has called for a national tracing and registration system for all horses, starting with those involved in the racing industry.

Racing Victoria supports the proposal, but the federal agriculture department says the cost would be prohibitively high.

“If those horses end up at Echuca and then they go to a knackery, that knackery should have to report the microchip numbers of the horses that enter that facility, and then you have got traceability,” Jones says.

“But at the moment that doesn’t exist.”

ETA: Mess fixed & link included with photos.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/15/auction-day-at-echuca-where-horse-racings-also-rans-await-their-fate

Edited by Gay3 - 15 Oct 2018 at 1:41pm
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:40pm
Agree. Abbatoirs should record microchips, have said that for years. Would give us the proper numbers and see where we can try and step in to stop it.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:48pm
Thanks Gay. some sites are easier to copy from.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 7:17pm
"Trainers in both the thoroughbred and harness racing industries must now file a retirement form at the end of every horse’s career that states where it is going next."

Must? I can't speak for harness racing but I have a 16yo & 10yo, the former having a 'retired' status due to age & the other still down as active.
I've had no request as to where these horses are & untill they update the notification process out of the dinasaur age, I won't be complying as my printer no longer works (rarely needed anyway) & being no longer licensed, don't have access to the RISA trainer program.
For the record, they're fit, fat & healthy here at home Big smile
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 7:52pm
This guy found himself at Maitland sales last week & headed for 'processing' the following day Ouch

🛑🛑🛑 NOW SAFE 🛑🛑🛑

Hi Guys. A horse by the name of “Jimmy” went through the Maitland sales today. At the time it wasn’t known but he is in fact the guy below. Over $200,000 in prize money and he’s ended up with Les Evans. - Les is giving me a call tomorrow about him (which I didn’t know whom he was at the time) he was advertised as a 7 year old which is clearly isn’t, but has been at a home doing pony club and loved on by some little kids. We need to get him out of there before he is sent straight on a truck. Melanie O'Nions was there today and sent me the photos of him, wasn’t until now I’ve searched his brands, she said he was very sweet and she was in the pen with him etc. Is there hope for us to be able to get him out? Anybody interested in helping him?

Jessica Plane He is safe. Along with another mare who was sent direct to slaughter.

Take that, it’s not my day to die today ~ Kisani - sent direct for slaughter, we were told we couldn’t purchase her, after a lot of running around and the intervening of NSW Racing we have taken her and she is now safe.
Without Jimmy being in that pen and us finding a home for him and saving him thanks to this page without it she wouldn’t be here now ❤️

Awaiting 'the' truck but 2 got lucky due to the power of social media & Les agreeing to sell despite having a quota to fill.

Edited by Gay3 - 15 Oct 2018 at 7:54pm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 1:02pm

Tozer's Stunning sale-yard find

Brad Bishop

13 December, 2018

It didn't take Kasey Tozer long to realise the mare she purchased in 2015 was worth more, potentially much more, than she paid for her.

The pony breeder went to $480 - around 30 percent over budget - for a Purrealist mare called Go The Cats, who was unplaced in five starts, at the Echuca horse sales.

Go The Cats was bought with the intention of being sent to the Welsh Cob stallion that Tozer has at her Tatura property.

Within days Tozer realised she might have to seek out a more high-profile stallion.

Tozer discovered Go The Cats was a half-sister to an Exceed And Excel gelding by the name of Mr Stunning, who, like Go The Cats, is out of the Dayjur mare With Fervour.

"I had a phone call from a lady wanting to buy her, and she offered more than what I what I paid, so it was then we thought maybe we should look into it a bit more," Tozer said.

"Over the next couple of weeks a couple of agents called, so we found out a bit more about Mr Stunning, and it went from there.

"We thought we'd see what she was worth, or what people would offer, but at the time it wasn't really an offer that would make a big difference to us.

"We didn't think that it would be worth selling her, so we hung onto her and we're glad we did."

Tozer is even happier now. Since she purchased Go The Cats, Mr Stunning has risen to become one of the best sprinters in the world and last Sunday completed back-to-back victories in the Group 1 Hong Kong Sprint.

"Last year we were excited and we knew he'd won a good race, but we didn't realise how big it was and how much value it could add to our mare," she said.

"It made us a bit more aware of what winning a Group 1 race can do for a family.

"We get really nervous now. We're putting a lot of money into this and we can't really afford to lose it. So we were really nervous this year, but really happy."

Go The Cats has already had a filly by Helmet, who is a son of Mr Stunning's sire Exceed And Excel, and is in-foal to another son of the former Australian Champion Sire, Headwater.

"We said we weren't going to (start breeding), but it's started something now," Tozer said.

"I've done plenty of research, figured out how much I don't know and how big the industry is and what you need to know and learn to get into the breeding and to be good at it."

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:08pm
Early last Friday I received a frantic email from a TBV lurker who been repeatedly unable to register & had given up (the spammers seem to manage LOL) but as a fellow Taswegian, had followed slowdowns' Sh'bourne horses.
She'd spotted on FB that one of his homebreds was to go thru' & knew her fate was grim but had no way of contacting him.
I tried emails & PMing thru' here to no avail with panic building fast Unhappy Luckily he'd mentioned a great training friend whose number I was able to find on the internet.
The poor guy was naturally shocked but jumped into action with only a few hours left, organising an absentee bid with the company, one he hope would put off the dealers.
Thankfully he succeeded & the mare he sold to a Victorian warmblood breeder will now return home to his family.
Nearly all TBs on the day have gone for processing & she'd have been with them but for an eagle eyed TBV lurker (now here as Petiterhapsody) who checks out all TBs up for auction at Echuca & recognised her distinct name.
She's one very lucky 5 yo mare Big smile
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:11pm
Great work everyone
This space has been intentionally left blank
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 8:24am
I shake my head when I read this, wonderful outcome for this mare, good on you!......but where does all the money collected from horse welfare deducted from stakes on every race go to? Living Legends? what goes? surely the first priority is to procure all those thoroughbreds from Echuca and look to rehome, or give them the best possible outcome's.......surely.....do we need to lobby RVL?
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 8:50pm
Today Dynasty arrived at her new home. She is going to my wife's Mum's place as a paddock mate for her gelding. Dynasty walked off the truck and commenced chewing on pick straight away. My wife trimmed her front feet and will work on the hinds once the greasy heel subsides. The mare is in good condition apart from her feet and within six months she will be back to her old self . I have photos but I won't bother going through the rigmarole of attaching them. She is in good order and my wife's Mum is very excited. there was an expense however I am a believer that if you do good stuff in life often it comes back to you. this is a hobby to us and we reckon as best as we can we have an obligation to get them a home when they are finished. We are fortunate in that we have a decent income so be able to do such things so in no way is this judgement on people who don't choose this path. We also breed beef cattle and send 35 to 40 head off to there finale so we understand how some people have to treat this as a business especially when there are big numbers involved. Cheers Slowdown
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
Petiterhapsody View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Petiterhapsody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 6:47am
Great to hear she's arrived home and settled in. There's many reasons they end up at these sales now and there is no point laying just try and reach out where we can and help them if possible. Hopefully she's enjoying the Tassie grass.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 7:45am
Cheers Petite. Good result. thanks for letting us know. 
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 8:21am
Great result!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 12:08pm
What a ripper broodmare at Echuca today who fortunately has a lady with her heart set on buying her & a likely safe bid lodged (absentee bid) of $700 Big smile
Hasn't been to stud, in superb condition (hence the higher 'safe' bid) & very similarly bred to White Gold (Mystic Journey) with every chance of her heading to Needs Further.

Click to enlarge then Zoom for bigger still

Edited by Gay3 - 29 Mar 2019 at 12:15pm
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 12:15pm
How on earth does a mare with that pedigree end up there ?   Are people nuts ???
animals before people.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 4:14pm
hope that lady got the result......
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 6:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>