Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Earthquake Hits Racing Victoria: 30 plus jobs lost
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Earthquake Hits Racing Victoria: 30 plus jobs lost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Earthquake Hits Racing Victoria: 30 plus jobs lost
    Posted: 23 May 2008 at 8:19am
A downsizing tsunami has hit Racing Victoria Ltd with 30 plus jobs wiped out, including the RVL Vet of 30 years, John McCaffrey.Cry

Jack Hindon has returned to Africa but his replacement is still not known.

Further rumours at this stage are that Terang and beautiful Camperdown are facing imminent closure along with other tracks.

A cyclone has hit the recent sales in Victoria, blowing away many buyers and taking the roof off many breeders.

The price of diesel will soon reach $2.00 a litre adding about $50 to a one-way float trip of 150 kilometres.

Saturday racecourse attendances are at record lows and mid-week meetings are "industry meetings" designed to create turnover for TABcorp.

And to think I still have 7 horses wholly paid for by me!!Ouch
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 10:02am
So much for governments pumping money back into the industry that gives them tens of millions in revenue.
Tassam View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 10:51am
Racing would need much more than what the government could put in. The market has to sort things out, a lot of people are gonna go belly up.

How can you justify paying an average price of $300k at the sales?! Impossible, the same goes for the stock market. If every stock was over valued by double, somethings gotta give.

More to the point is the huge costs involved. There are enough problems with feeding ourselves, let alone race horses. We're losing prime agricultural land for development, deteriorating growing conditions, and the cost of transport (ie, oil) is sky rocketing.

Unless there are drastic changes in all these areas, the thoroughbred, greyhound, and harness industries will be finished. Pretty blunt, but there you go.

I personally wont be buying any more horses for quite a while. Wait and see how things pan out
Tassam View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 10:53am
by the way, would be extremely surprised if oil prices come down. Diesel will probably reach (and should be) $4 plus a litre
bartsimpson View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartsimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 4:00pm
adolphus , i gave the scoop on this big mac like downsizing last week when i revealed the sale of the Horsham track for a putt putt complex but no one believed me
computer says no
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 6:08pm

Getting back to original post re redundancies.

The question needs to be asked how did the place get to be 20% overstaffed ?

There will need to be some serious attitude adjustment by the crew that are left if they want to hold their jobs.

No doubt there will be a few nervous people left there that might want to shake themselves up a bit.

The sacking of McCaffrey the head vet is interesting also.

I would be certain his position is still necessary but they obviously thought he was an underperformer.

My info is they are keen to get Terry Bailey into the top stewards position [the reason Michael Duffy headhunted him from harness] and now that Gleeson is on the way out and vet is gone i bet there is a huge shake up in the drug testing side of things also.

I would say a long overdue cleanout of a topheavy public service like monster that needed a good pruning.

I still cant beleive the industry was allowed to be overburdened with so many extra wages to be found for so long.
jazzman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 9:51pm
I've heard whispers, but does anybody know if Racing Victoria plans to "centralise" country racing? Let's be fair dinkum, it appears inevitable one day that little country tracks won't be used and their meetings (similar to the way harness racing went when V3 was employed) will be transferred to "away" venues. But how far is this away from happening and which clubs will survive and which won't?
Istidaad kicking strongly, he's 2 lengths clear, Crawl gets out from a well back and old Mustard is grinding home... Hang on, Treasury Notes gets out from the back and she'll blouse them all!
Riceman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 10:00pm
Well, I've been posting about these underperforming incompetents since I joined this forum back in early 2005. Besides the obvious overstaffing and the need to hire visionary and competent staff, there will be no change to the downward spiral until they start planning and implementing strategies such as:

1. A decentralisation plan to get racehorses and trainers out of Melbourne and back into the bush where both horses and horsepeople like to live.

2. A proper payment to owners for providing the entertainment like a 1% return of money punted on each owners horse. This sort of payment to owners is already occuring in at least one other Country that I know about. It will be a minimal cost in the scheme of things and with save the future of racing as we know it. And the astute do know that the industry is currently heading downhill but the incompetent overstaffed administration just won't admit it.

Owners are the lifeblood of this industry and these incompetents believe that punters are the lifeblood! Foolishness and utter nonsense. The solution is to return more to all owners (not just the Inghams - Harveys - Singletons of the world,  nor the Irish, nor the Arabs), and if so done then trainers can be properly paid and if so done then stable staff can be properly paid etc etc etc.

Fix it you morons or move aside and get some proper management with vision. Not that I haven't been saying this for over 3 years now and as a pragmatist I don't expect we will have any vision in the administration during my lifetime! doh! (nearly enough to bring a man out of retirement LOL)
Apollo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 10:49pm
Decentralisation!!! Wash your mouth out Riceman. Such a dirty word. LOL

All the signposts on the road to the "Big Picture" point to even greater centralisation - racing centres at Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo etc with bits and pieces to the bigger towns such as Warrnambool, Hamilton, Benalla, Wangaratta etc. Racing in the smaller towns is all but dead and RVL are simply wiping the knife clean and looking for their next target. My old home town of Camperdown now has more quarterhorse race meetings than thoroughbred - how the hell did that happen? Shocked

RVL have sacked some reasonably competent people in this purge, McCaffrey one and John Goldstraw another. Let's just hope that those that remain are capable enough and given enough solid and visionary leadership to halt the slide into marginalisation that racing is taking before my eyes. Won't hold my breath though.
Carl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 2:40am
Is the list of employees gone made available anywhere?
Track View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Track Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 4:25am
Hey Riceman - the big job is open why not bung an application in, roll the sleeves up and fix it.

They have had two shots at hiring "visionaries" both have gone why?

In my view its got precious little to do with the "underperforming incompetents" at RVL and more to to with an outdated Club structure that ensures all innovation either never sees the light of day or is stymied by self serving Club committees.

These old geysers want things the way the used to be...You know the way it was when we could whip down to the club and have a red or two and a nice lunch with the boys in the committee room on raceday. 

When clubs were the only entertainment in town they got lazy and let the world pass them by  (I rekon a survey would reveal that some of these bokes are still wondering what all the internet nonsesne is about) and now its too late to turn it around for some.

Now I am not going to criticise your ideas, there are probably a million things that could be done (and you know what they say about ideas) but I think I should challenge a couple of assertions;

1. ..."the bush where both horses and horsepeople like to live".  The point being that people, including horsepeople, dont want to live in the bush anymore because there are better opportunities for their families in the cities and big towns.  Its got sweet fa to do with racing, Australia's culture has changed and people are leaving bush Australia in droves (including me). 

2. Unless I am mistaken I thought the "incompetents" had recognised owners as the lifeblood, as opposed to the punters.  Isnt this whole downsizing about putting more money into prizemoney or am I on the wrong bus?

3.  Why would racing be any different to any other part of a free market economy.  The rich will nearly always get richer and own everything and the poor are left pick up the crumbs. 

The Harveys in particlar and Singletons to a lesser extent are relative newcommers to the game and they only got in to make a quid because they saw the opportunity.  How can you stop them, have races for everyone who's name is not gerry,john, mohammed or paddy?

Riceman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 7:16am
Hey Riceman - the big job is open why not bung an application in, roll the sleeves up and fix it.
They will need to come to me not the other way around! LOL
They have had two shots at hiring "visionaries" both have gone why?
No good being a visionary without both leadership and management ability.Wink It is leadership that is the missing ingredient!Cry
In my view its got precious little to do with the "underperforming incompetents" at RVL and more to to with an outdated Club structure that ensures all innovation either never sees the light of day or is stymied by self serving Club committees.
Yep, yep, yeppie!Cry However, this is the huge challange and where leadership skills are required. If they fail to deliver then they are incompetent leaders. I'm not saying it is an easy job that is why it will never get better unless the best are employed. The best don't come for love or glory.Dead 

1. ..."the bush where both horses and horsepeople like to live".  The point being that people, including horsepeople, dont want to live in the bush anymore because there are better opportunities for their families in the cities and big towns.  Its got sweet fa to do with racing, Australia's culture has changed and people are leaving bush Australia in droves (including me). build it and they will come

2. Unless I am mistaken I thought the "incompetents" had recognised owners as the lifeblood, as opposed to the punters.  Isnt this whole downsizing about putting more money into prizemoney or am I on the wrong bus? talk is cheap and the answer is not just increasing prizemoney

3.  Why would racing be any different to any other part of a free market economy.  The rich will nearly always get richer and own everything and the poor are left pick up the crumbs.  because racing is regulated and subsidised by a massive kickback from gambling 

The Harveys in particlar and Singletons to a lesser extent are relative newcommers to the game and they only got in to make a quid because they saw the opportunity.  How can you stop them, have races for everyone who's name is not gerry,john, mohammed or paddy? we don't want to stop them but the key to sustainment is distributing funds across all ownership levels
Track View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Track Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 9:13am
Ricey mabe we should have an ale one day, i think it might be interesting.

I think we are reading from the same book but perhaps we are yet to arrive at the same page.

The business model that has made racing work for 150 years has been broken for about 30 or so years.  This has never become more aparent than the last five years with the rapid leakage of the gambling dollar out of the racing/government/tab system.

I would remind you that this is not a problem unique to Australia, it would appear that "underperforming incompetents" are spread across the world.

Racing needs a new model, almost a revolution and I think it is not far away
mickyk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 10:18am
Racing needs less racing if that makes sense.

Racing has been turned into a poker machine. Every 3 minutes and another race jumps 7 days a week. Turnover greed has created over-racing and in my opinion played a good part in killing it. Soon they will be taking coverage of overseas meetings to cover all the overnight slots. Won't it be fun betting 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Somethings really got to give somewhere.
Mike Keenan
The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 12:47am
Riceman, Track and Mickyk. Very astute observations. I fully agree with all of the above.
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 9:40am
Does anybody know how much of their savings will be offset by hiring contractors/consultants etc. to do whatever the suddenly redundant staff did?Maybe even the original people.
The Ear View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 11:07am
Racing Victoria had a staff off 50 in the Integrity Services Bureau -- how ridiculous, up from about 20 a decade or so ago. RVL's overheads are so high it badly affects the flow through to the clubs for prizemoney.
Next review needs to be of the over inflated salaries some of the executive staff get (would not get anything like that in the real world), and the rumoured consultancy fees paid out to tightly held contacts.
crannypete View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 7:18am

Rotton RVL

Make Massive

McCaffrey Mistake

I was going to write about the great win of Takeover Target in Singapore at the weekend. I was then going to move on to the magnificent effort of Brad Rawiller to break the Victorian record for the most number of wins in a season, with still two months left to run.

But as all too often happens, just as racing has a good news story to talk about, it goes and shoots itself in the foot.

Late on Thursday afternoon, Racing Victoria announced the retrenchment of 35 staff members. It is my understanding that this includes John McCaffrey (Director - Veterinary Services), Julie Piper (Director Finance Services) and Chris Watson (GM Education & Training).

I dont know Ms Piper and I have only spoken to Mr Watson a handful of times. I do know that they both have excellent reputations and the fact that these two have been moved on started to ring some alarm bells.

The Ear View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 9:25am
Ever since the initial CEO Brian Beattie left the place has plummetted downhill.
Chief Executives from the hopeless Neville Fielke to that fraud Steven Allanson have led the organisation, to a point that it has very little respect around Victorian racing circles.
Now training tracks can't be maintained (Cranbourne is deterorating before everyone's eyes), race tracks are in danger of closing, prizemoney has not increased in years.....not good signs for all the backslapping they've given themselves in the past few years.
Carl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 10:02am
Breaking News: Anthony O' Connell just left RVL earlier this evening.
The Ear View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 11:43am
They were going to try and hang him over the Jack Hinden affair
The Ear View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 1:26pm
Report in the Daily Telegraph that Gary Miller is finishing at TVN at the end of next month..........another with little ability that had a charmed run...won't be missed in the industry at all.
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 11:17am
Simple solution-RVL does acceptances and the boring stuff and handballs all inportant decisions to Thoroughbred Village.
dennis View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 11:06am
If they can sack 30 people goes to show they had plenty of fat to trim.  I reckon its time to even close many tracks around Victoria as well, I mean who really goes to many of these tracks except for their cup days, what a waste of land and money.
Good luck.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 12:27pm
yeah good idea brother close the gunbower race track and whack up 200 apartments that ought to go well

stop wasting land gunbower build some ghetto apartments instead

idiot dude

Track View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Track Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 5:42pm
Cranny - too harsh

I think Dennis makes a good point, we should close all the things in the country that arent used enough; Ag Showgrounds, sportsgrounds, town halls, some police stations, a couple of small schools, maybe even some of those pesky small roads that are rarely driven on.

Actually, close to my city apartment there is a park that not nearly enough people walk their dog in - what a waste, fuk it off as well.

Yep cant wait for the day that we get some consistantly boring shyte happening and race all country races at  Bendigo, Cranbourne, Ballarat and Geelong.  

Let's rid ourselves of all those racedays in small towns; Managatang Cup, Wyche on Derby Day, Avocca, Dunkeld, the steeplechases in the south west, the Swan Hill Carnival, Towong, Mansfield...the thousands who go to celebrate the essence of racing and community spirit are a blight on the industry.

And put me down for one of those Gunbower apartments - can't wait to share the rest of my life with those flies that live at the racecourse. Biggest bastrd flies on earth out there.

dennis View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 10:45pm
Yous don't get the point, not neccessary for that many country tracks.....in todays age not financially viable.   Clubs can share tracks as Football clubs share grounds, local community will benefit.
Good luck.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crannypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 6:39am
they own the track brothers they grow the grass and they mow it and they have a cup day and its truck loads of fun

why shouldunt the country people have their fun there is city racing twice a week at least more in summer with night racing

i think you idea is short sited and only based on money values not on other values

i know im not smart but i know what i think
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 6:55am
Originally posted by crannypete crannypete wrote:

i know im not smart but i know what i think

As distinct from economic rationalist little d, who is smart but doesn't really understand what he thinks. Wink

ps anyone want to know:

a. the number of country tracks that have closed over the last 6 years;
b. the number of country tracks that have lost meetings over the last 6 years;
c. the number of those lost meetings;
d. the future human recource implications of the above; and (perhaps most importantly)
d. in exactly what manner has RVL managed to squander the alleged "cost savings"?

Suspect cranny could provide much of that info.

It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Track View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Track Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 8:53am
a. the number of country tracks that have closed over the last 6 years; None the last Vic track to close was Woodend in the 70s
b. the number of country tracks that have lost meetings over the last 6 years; Probably 10-12 predominantly mid week meetings that have not so much been lost but relocated to the bigger centres.
c. the number of those lost meetings;Not many.  I think it has been around 430 country meetings per year for a fair while now. 10+ years ago they got rid of a lot of non-Tabs, most of them went to the bigger tracks and became the Sunday race meetings as well.
d. the future human recource implications of the above; Small implications overall in the last 6 years,  most of the moves would have been race meetings that had low attendance.
d. in exactly what manner has RVL managed to squander the alleged "cost savings"?Not sure what you mean.  I would have thought the changes were made to increase revenue (turnover) rather than to save money.  I would imagine there is more spent on stewards and other safety issues.  Big investment in TVN and other IT, I suspect
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic