Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Tributes Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Dulcify

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dulcify
    Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 10:16pm
I just wanted to put up a thread on this top quality galloper as throughout the entire village he does not seem to get a mention when talk turns to the best gallopers we have seen.
I still feel his cox plate win was one of the best we have seen, he defeated a near champion (probably the best sprinter I have seen) in Manikato and he was able to completely dominate his 3yo year and the spring of his 4yo season.
It would have been very interesting to see him race Kingston Town and a couple of others who came through in the years after.
I always felt he was unfairly treated due to his trainer (Hayes is my favourite trainer of all time but he never really had another galloper anywhere near as good as Dulcify).If he had been trained by TJ or Bart I think he would be given more recognition than he has.
Has anyone ever seen a horse remain undefeated at one metropolitan track (he did not finish the Melbourne Cup so we will ignore that ) all through their career. I can not recall another.  
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

The Muffin Man View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 8:57am
VOYAGER, I mentioned this magnificant horse in the history thread that talks about Kingston Town.

I mentioned that I thought KT might have been lucky the mighty Dulcify was trodden on in that fateful Melbourne Cup.
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 6:35pm
Sorry Muff I haven't read that thread due to knowing just about everything about the King's story already but you are correct, that would of been a great group of clashes (especially in Sydney where the King was supreme).
I just feel that Dulcify was one of the most talented horses we have seen, but because he only had a relatively short career he sometimes get shrotchanged, when it comes to talk of champion horses. 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Hoss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2007 at 9:17am
Somehow missed this thread. I certainly remember Dulcify as a freakish talent!

Dulcify, NZ

(21: 10, 3, 2)

Many racing devotees would want him included in our list of legends on the basis of sheer quality and potential.

Strangely, in his day, Dulcify was not a very popular winner until the end of his career. Instead of finding excuses for his losses, many people back then found excuses why the parrot-mouthed Dulcify, amongst a series of early failures, was sometimes able to win: poor fields in the 78 Victoria Derby and the 79 Rosehill Guineas (Manikato being unsuited at 2000m), being paced home by the heroic Manikato (again) in the 79 Australian Cup, an undeserved victory on protest against Double Century in the AJC Derby thats four of his only seven big wins dismissed by the doubters! But I just cant accept that. He was surely mercurial but also brilliant.

His convincing wins at WFA in the Craiglee and Turnbull signalled a great spring. And when he bolted away with the 79 Cox Plate by seven lengths from a pretty good field the doubters were silenced and he finally attracted a fan club. Although there are still some who mutter to this day that Kingston Town was unwisely scratched from what could have been the first of four Coxes for him owing to (now implausible) doubts about his staying power - there are equally convincing arguments that KT might not have even won three Coxes if Dulcify had lived.

Then, a fighting win in the Mackinnon strengthened Dulcifys reputation further and put him into favouritism for the Cup. It was his shocking departure at that next start, Hypernos Cup, in which he collided with the eventual winner and had to be destroyed, that has added to his mythical status (like an equine James Dean?) and has seen his name included on many lists of the greatest. He was certainly on the verge of greatness. Well never really know what he could have achieved.

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 7:51pm
Can anyone remember any other horse who has gone undefeated on a metropolitan racecourse?
Skipper View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 8:22pm
Grand Flaneur is the only unbeaten Oz champ Voyager..

The 1880 Melb' Cup winner was unbeaten in all of his 9 starts, 8 of them as a 3 yr old including the AJC Derby, AJC Mares Produce Stakes, Victoria Derby, VRC Mares Produce Stakes, VRC St Leger and the 2 mile VRC Town Plate (WFA)..

He broke down while in training for the AJC Autumn Carnival and was immediately retired to stud..

He was leading Australian sire in 1895..

* courtesy of 'They're Racing'...
BS82 View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BS82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 9:19pm
Got to meet B.Thompson at the 2006 Cox Plate ball - was sitting at the same table.... his expressions, when asked about this champ - showed what the horse meant to him.... oh what he would've been..

** DITTO - Unworldly
Racing Fan - forever.....
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2007 at 9:35pm
No what I meant Skip was that Dulcify was never beaten at Flemingtpon I think he had six starts there for six wins all at top level.

I can not remember to many galopers having six starts at a metro track in Australia ho were unbeaten at that track.
John H View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2008 at 3:20am
Good question Voyager.

Off the top of my head, Vain would be another.

He had 6 wins at Flemington from 6 starts too, the Maribyrnong Plate, the Sires, the Ascot Vale plus his 3 wins over Cup week as a 3yo.
Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2008 at 3:25am
when he broke down reportedly the last time a W.A. owners' wife went to the races. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 3:55am
Originally posted by BS82 BS82 wrote:

Got to meet B.Thompson at the 2006 Cox Plate ball - was sitting at the same table.... his expressions, when asked about this champ - showed what the horse meant to him.... oh what he would've been..

** DITTO - Unworldly

Correct Cry
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 5:10am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

No what I meant Skip was that Dulcify was never beaten at Flemingtpon I think he had six starts there for six wins all at top level.

I can not remember to many galopers having six starts at a metro track in Australia ho were unbeaten at that track.

What was Saintly's Flemington record? and record in Melbourne?

Pretty good I think.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 12:42am
Yeah I think you are right saintly but how many starts did he have?

I can only remember the Carbine Club, Australian Cup and Melbourne Cup
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 6:27am
Saintly had 6 runs in Melbourne for 5 wins and a second in the Sandown Guineas
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 7:00am
Dulcify and Unworldly mentioned in this thread, brings a tear to the eye!

I remember when Regal Roller came rushing up to me with the news about Unworldly, I didn't, no couldn't, believe him...

It takes a part of you away from you racing wise when a much loved galloper goes far too early...
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 2:41pm
Dug up this thread today after a chance meeting with his old strapper Shane Coleman , knowledgeable bloke who still carries a hint of pain , what a great horse .
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 4:27pm
Magic, tragic Dulcify .  What a terrible end to a great horse.
animals before people.
tilt10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilt10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 10:19pm
That Cox Plate win was one of the very best i have seen. Very sad. Could have been anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oOia0svdX8
So Col Tidy.     What is the best horse you have ever seen race in Australia?      "Vain". What a good judge.
So Ken Callander. Best sprinter you have ever seen in Australia?  "Vain by a long
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 12:10pm
I remember my father backing most Hayes horses back in this era, and if he had a few in the race (often happened), he would back the outsider.

I remember heading up to the stables one afternoon, where dad was either mucking out or pottering around in a tack shed, and I heard all this commotion. He had back Duclify on debut at ridiculous odds (just a couple of dollars each way), and he made plenty.

I am not sure if he was 330/1 or even greater that day, but a couple of bucks each way on the TAB certainly made the old man (and us kids) very happy.

After that, we of course followed this horse very closely, and it became a favourite of ours, especially after Dad was on again after in the Australian Cup. I remember sitting at the dinner table with mum and dad discussing the Derby protest, and being happy with the result, and I remember the confidence my parents had that Hayed would break his Melbourne Cup duck with horse after the astonishing Cox Plate win, and the narrow victory over Shivaree in the McKinnon. I also remember the tears after the terrible news of his injury and the aftermath of it.

He was a champ.

**Mum stuck fast with Hayes the following year in the MC and duly collected after the win of Beldale Ball, but that is another story.
Ringlock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 6:04pm
Dulcify was an outstanding horse. I was there at Flemington the day he died. Strangely enough, the VRC Derby winner for two years in succession had to be put down 12 months later in the Melbourne Cup - Dulcify and Big Print.
tilt10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilt10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 10:20am
Second only to Crisp as the best race i have seen in the last fifty years involving an Australian horse.
So Col Tidy.     What is the best horse you have ever seen race in Australia?      "Vain". What a good judge.
So Ken Callander. Best sprinter you have ever seen in Australia?  "Vain by a long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic