Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Drugs Found

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the renter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drugs Found
    Posted: 22 May 2007 at 12:37am

RACING Victoria Limited stewards seized an illegal substance during an inspection at a prominent Ballarat stable early in the morning on Saturday.

RVL's non-race day unit were later joined by investigator Jim Monahan.

Stewards opened and adjourned an inquiry to a date to be fixed.

The substance will be sent to the Racing Analytical Services Laboratory for testing.

Several licensed persons were interviewed by Monahan and stewards Bradley Dunn and Frank De Rango.

Blood samples were taken from 30 horses at the stable and further tests will be conducted today.

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 12:45am
Renter. Which stable ??? Cmon, fess up.
the renter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the renter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 12:52am
Don't know found the story on Herald Sun site, I don't think it is the first one everybody thinks of, because if so they would have taken more than 30 samples.
Brixton View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brixton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 1:01am
Renter your mate has come a gutser again! He can't help himself.

If it isn't elevated bicarbs it's stomach pumping. Now they're seizing an illegal substance! No wonder Drac's Back showed his true colours LOL
Jarryd View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 1:05am
Renter, who is this "first person" everyone is so called thinking about?
the renter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the renter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 1:05am
I thought Dracs back beat home Raining to Win and was only .5 of a lengh of Desert War.

being beaten 2.8 lengths in a g1 race I wouldn't call that a flop. 

Brix how do you know it was weir???
Brixton View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brixton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 1:14am
Yes he did beat the horse that ran second-last and yes he was beaten by a horse that had run two time too many! Nothing to write home about there.

Renter, he ran 8th...that means he beat three horses home! And the garbage in front of him means he ain't winning any group ones soon (which I happily debated with you and your mate Big%20smile).
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 1:52am
Great let's hope but doubt they will get serious about this issue and not just be seen to be doing something. Racing's hard enough.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 2:31am
Originally posted by the renter the renter wrote:

RACING Victoria Limited stewards seized an illegal substance during an inspection at a prominent Ballarat stable early in the morning on Saturday....The substance will be sent to the Racing Analytical Services Laboratory for testing.... Blood samples were taken from 30 horses at the stable and further tests will be conducted today.

How can the Stewards claim they've found an illegal substance before the substance is authoritatively tested?

And could forumites advise me what the difference is between an illegal substance and a banned one? 

This could be a critical differentiation, as a number of "banned" substances may be used between races to assist recovery from injury etc, with no penalty unless those particular substances swab on raceday.

Mind you there's a number of other large and sometimes private estabs that could well be examined also, if fairness and comprehensiveness is to be viewed as any yardstick. Doesn't appear to happen though. 

By all means let's get the drug cheats, however this smacks of persecution for mine.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
chinaguy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 3:03am
Brixton you are unreal.. you dont even have a clue which stable it is and you go and blrt out rubbish.. people like you get innocent people hung.. give the guy a break.. at least till you know if it is true or not.
Brixton View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brixton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 3:48am
If the fellow I'm talking about is hung for banned substances I don't think you can call it the hanging of an innocent man!

Whether or not this is him I don't really care.

Runfer, I suspect they found what is believed to be an illegal substance, not a banned one. As you quite rightly point out, it is legal to possess and administer banned substances, just not present a horse on raceday with a banned substance in its system.

This leads me to believe illicit drugs were confiscated.
regal_roller View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regal_roller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 4:08am
It must be bloody hard for Weir, he would be losing business thanks to the dark cloud of allegation that constantly hangs over his stable. When he is ever found guilty, then this is deserved but untill then, give him a break, hes a damn good trainer
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 4:49am
DkW has been caught before
chinaguy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 4:57am
So what.. does that mean it is him now??? be real you guys.. and Brixton you are a loser... give the guy a go.
Miss Finland View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Finland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 5:49am
Des Gleeson hates Weirs guts and anything that they can do to stop him training they will try. He is just a low dog gleeson. He is the best country trainer having alot of success. Its more of a grudge that gleeson still holds. He still owes weir a Mercedes. Word around the traps is a fair few people try and put weir in for anything they can find.
Back Sebastian Murphy all day if you like money.
Occy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Occy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 6:24am
Des G is a decent bloke - damn nice chap actually.  He does what is in the best interest of racing - if that makes him unpopular so be it - he does it for the safety and benefit of people and animals!
chinaguy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 7:15am
How do you guys know it is even Wier.. has anyone said or confirmed this.. its all just hear say.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regal_roller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 6:34pm
no one knows that it is weir, i just brought him up because anytime drugs are found in Victoria, the first name people think of is Weir, its unfortunate for him and a blight on his stable business.
I'd have a fair bet, though, that this latest drug find is NOT weiry
Brixton View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brixton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 6:41pm
I can't feel sorry for him though. Perhaps the penalty for racing horses with banned substances in their system is beyond the ban imposed.

One can only assume he was well aware of the consequences at the time.
Grey Way View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 7:09pm

Horses tested in Ballarat

Tim Habel, www.theheraldsun.com.au
May 22, 2007 12:00am

STEWARDS blood-tested a further 32 horses at a leading Ballarat stable complex yesterday as the probe into the discovery of a prohibited substance continued.
Robert Cram, co-deputy chairman of Racing Victoria Limited stewards and head of the non-race day unit, said test results would be known in three to four weeks.
"A number of vials were taken for testing, " Cram said. "Our investigation needs to determine how the substance got there."
Stewards blood-tested 28 horses from the complex on Saturday and discovered a prohibited substance.
Non-race day stewards and racecourse investigators Peter McMillan and Jim Monaghan will meet today.
Cram said the names of the trainers involved would not be released until ownership of the substance was investigated. Three trainers share the stables.
"We will make public the substance when we get the test results, but we don't want to be falsely implicating innocent people," he said.
The raid was a result of stewards' investigations.
"We do operations and don't make them public," Cram said.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 8:08pm
Rbt. Smerdon, 10yo bottle & a currently legal substance anyway :D.
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Cheese View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 9:27pm
Weir is a very good trainer. However it is his recent misdemeanours which do make him the prime suspect. It was said 2 have been a very prominent trainer in Ballarat. Not 2 many of those in these traps. Miss finland, how does gleeson owe weir a mercedes? He had 2 win a certain number of races in Warnambool, yet he didnt reach that magic figure. Therefore, he cant just say, "ohhh, gee u were close, here have the car" Thems the rules, i dont make them, i just abide by them!
I did cocaine with Wayne!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regal_roller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 9:54pm
Gleeson scratched Glebe Run, wrongly, and it would've won by a mile judging on the fact it won the next week. Get your facts straight Cheese, Darren Weir is a thing, get that man a Merc!
P.S. all you Weir knockers, has he ever been found guilty of doping horses? no, only guilty of giving false information and having some gear in his truck that COULD be used for tubing...give the man a break and let him train good 'orses.
If i stuck a 6 foot piece of pipe up your behind cheese? would you run any faster??? I'd doubt it you small man...
Jolls View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 10:08pm
the cheese would probably like it LOL
Season 2012 = 102 Years since Collingwood has beaten Carlton in a Grand Final.
Brixton View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brixton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by regal_roller regal_roller wrote:

Gleeson scratched Glebe Run, wrongly, and it would've won by a mile judging on the fact it won the next week. Get your facts straight Cheese, Darren Weir is a thing, get that man a Merc!
P.S. all you Weir knockers, has he ever been found guilty of doping horses? no, only guilty of giving false information and having some gear in his truck that COULD be used for tubing...give the man a break and let him train good 'orses.
If i stuck a 6 foot piece of pipe up your behind cheese? would you run any faster??? I'd doubt it you small man...

Horses he presented on raceday have tested positive to elevated bicarbonate levels in the past.
chinaguy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 11:04pm
Brixton and cheese .. got and get a life.. you are just trouble makers.
Track View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Track Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 3:24am
I may be wrong but as far as I am aware Weir has never returned a positive to bicarb or any other substance. 

I believe he only has priors for with posessing and using tubing gear on raceday and giving false evidence.

And, given the penaties others have received, he has well and truely "copped his wack" for these crimes.

At the bool they took Glebe Run out of the race after it had left the mounting yard, tested the horse more comprehensively than any horse had been tested before, including I believe, getting tests done overseas and it was still clean. 

Glebe Run won by panels next start, and in my view, only bad luck would have stopped it winning at Warrnambool,

I'm not saying Weir is a cleanskin but the facts are the facts.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regal_roller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 3:50am
well said Track, good to see not everyone is stringing the poor bloke up
chinaguy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 4:13am
they are a lynch mob in here and no one even knows who it is they caught... guilty till proved innocent by this mob in here roller. They do not have a clue.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regal_roller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 4:34am
good call,  even with Jockeys. A jockey risks his life riding a cat, and its his fault that it loses..too many people talking through thier wallets with no facts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic