Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Deep Field retired to Newgate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep Field retired to Newgate
    Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 11:20am
http://breednet.com.au/news/110553/Deep-Field-Retired
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 4:16pm
What introductory price people?

I am thinking $12,000
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 5:36pm
whitt0 View Drop Down

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options
  Thanks (0) Thanks(0)
  Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply
New Post: Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 3:26pm -
Just back from the sales. He will be $20k
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:42pm
Bullgelati Shocked

Riding little brother's coat tails?
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:51pm
What price do you think?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:06am
Piussance de Lune is standing for $11,000 but proved himself sound enough to have 25+ starts over a few seasons at a very good level.

Deep Field by comparison is no better than cheap speed with no real prospect of being a classic sire and was obviously unsound.

Whilst he is bound to be around a similar price as PDL he should be a quarter the price.

reductio ad absurdum
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:13am
Grp 2 Hcp winner, not sighted until the 11th hour of his 3yo year... I don't know what the market rate for that is, but I would give him a bonuses for 

- being a full brother to the Guineas winner,
- the short supply of Northern Meteor stallions,
- the Eight Carat family

In 2004, Lonhro hit the arket at $60k. A year later, Niello launched at $16,500. That being the case, I'd like to think Deep Field is priced at no more than 30% of STW, who has the $77k of Pierro, $66k of All Too Hard and $44k of Zoustar as recent benchmarks.... of which he is below IMO.

That would, to my fair reasoning, put him in the $13,750 range that Eurozone launched at.
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:19am
I'm with the hare on this one.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:20am
11 k is my guess .
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:22am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Piussance de Lune is standing for $11,000 but proved himself sound enough to have 25+ starts over a few seasons at a very good level.

Deep Field by comparison is no better than cheap speed with no real prospect of being a classic sire and was obviously unsound.

Whilst he is bound to be around a similar price as PDL he should be a quarter the price.

I don't know of any Group 2 winners standing at Stud for 2.5k
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Grp 2 Hcp winner, not sighted until the 11th hour of his 3yo year... I don't know what the market rate for that is, but I would give him a bonuses for 

- the Eight Carat family

In 2004, Lonhro hit the arket at $60k. A year later, Niello launched at $16,500. That being the case, I'd like to think Deep Field is priced at no more than 30% of STW, who has the $77k of Pierro, $66k of All Too Hard and $44k of Zoustar as recent benchmarks.... of which he is below IMO.

That would, to my fair reasoning, put him in the $13,750 range that Eurozone launched at.

I agree - but it is $20k
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Aurelius Aurelius wrote:

Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I don't know of any Group 2 winners standing at Stud for 2.5k

Thats not really the point I was making.

reductio ad absurdum
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:39am
Clangalang , dual Group 1 winner $2200 .
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:45am
Clanga
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:50am
Originally posted by whitt0 whitt0 wrote:

- the Eight Carat family

In 2004, Lonhro hit the arket at $60k. A year later, Niello launched at $16,500. That being the case, <span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'd like to think Deep Field is priced at no more than 30% of STW, who has the $77k of Pierro, $66k of All Too Hard and $44k of Zoustar as recent benchmarks.... of which he is below IMO.</span>

I agree - but it is $20k

Sounds like your in the know Whitto. That is how you kill a potential stallion.

I would rather pay 20k plus for Dissident with 4 G1's.

I
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 2:06am
Originally posted by whitt0 whitt0 wrote:

- the Eight Carat family

I agree - but it is $20k

Big farms have plenty of levers to pull when it comes to pricing strategy. If, at the end of the day, the $20k is the rack rate & they're working off a discount structure that scales down to somewhere around 40% for high volume customers, then he'd probably finish up in their books with 60-80 mares next to his name at an average sell price closer to people's 'fair' estimate.

Good luck to them if they can get the $20k.
runnerdance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runnerdance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 10:34am
P.D.L is poison at any money IMHO Loved him as a horse but no!!!
Yes Deep Field will be inflated re service fee but if you want to be in commercial then get in the game. Local raced/bred, boom speed horse by hot stallion... yes yes yes!!

My tip he will be as hot as SM this season when his time comes.

You dont need to try invent the wheel when breeding for profit - go with the above proven formula BUT if you dont have a good enough mare to be in DP top 25-30% book then keep it in you pants

Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 10:47am
He's a breed to sell prospect.  The unfounded hype looks like transferring to his stud fee.  No doubt that hype will also be flowing when his first crop hit the sale ring.  

As a breed to race prospect I would go nowhere near him at this stage.  Plenty of quality proven stallions around the $15k-$20k mark.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runnerdance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 11:08am
Agree 100%

Breed to race no way - breed up first 2 season and cash your chips

If had $20k breed to race go try barter on Testa etc

While on service fees:

Rubick?... $16500?
Brazen Beau?... $44k?

Thoughts
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 11:10am
BB will be 44.

Rubick no idea, 16.5 sounds about what they would put him at, worth around 10. But at the same time was better performed then Deep Field on the track and was up at 2.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runnerdance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 11:38am
cheers speedy

2 mares this season. thinking sizzling with 1 and DP or RUB with the other
wallinga View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:05pm
Same surname as the farm owner, half brothers?

Nepotism, 16.5K
Biggles View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 1:20pm
Deep field will be fully booked very soon. They are not 'dealing' because they don't have to. This horse is a serious stallion. He is a magnificent type, had speed to burn and a great female line and to top it off he is by the greatest loss to Australian breeding in Northern Meteor. Being free of Danehill which Zoustar isn't and more speed than Eurozone and Shooting to win, he is the complete package as far as I am concerned and I will be sending as many mares as I can get in.
Flying High
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runnerdance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 1:51pm
cheers biggles. 

i agree and thats my point - he ticks all the boxes to succeed (selling yearlings).

i find it hard to cop the inflated fee but i would rather pay an inflated fee for a genuine commercial stallion V a discounted dead in the water stallion
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 2:07pm
He may well succeed, but simply can't see him being overly commercial early on.

Depending on the quality of his mares he might get 4 or 5 into Easter, maybe 10 at Melb Prem and 15 at MM which are the only sales where you stand a chance of turning a regular profit above costs of about $40k to get there.

Which means there'll be 80-100 or so in each of the first three years that'll either be sold at a loss or retained to race at breeder's risk.

However good luck and good fortune to those who consider him the real deal.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runnerdance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 7:04pm
2nd chance... if he wont be commercial early on he never will be...

he will be a red hot first season stallion of his year when yearlings sell. I think you could comfortably double the numbers you quoted

as previously quoted... as is the case with any stallion make sure you are in top 20-25% of his mare book

he will prove to be the equal of Hinch / SM... type = profit
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 7:25pm
Mare book quality important. Type even more so
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 7:26pm
Even given the Newgate marketing expertise consider 10 in Easter, 20 in MP and 30 in MM is pie in the sky stuff for a horse that ultimately proved to be seriously wanting at the higher level.

However each to their own RD, you may well be proven correct, and total congrats if that proves to be the case.

Biggles View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 8:57pm
I wouldn't mind betting he gets more than ten in the Easter Yearling Sale. Look how popular Smart Missile has been, this has a lot to do with being related to Northern Meteor, and he wasn't a Gr 1 winner. Also it's not only about the sale results I think he is the real deal and will be a good sire.
Flying High
smallbreeder View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smallbreeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

He may well succeed, but simply can't see him being overly commercial early on.

Depending on the quality of his mares he might get 4 or 5 into Easter, maybe 10 at Melb Prem and 15 at MM which are the only sales where you stand a chance of turning a regular profit above costs of about $40k to get there.

Which means there'll be 80-100 or so in each of the first three years that'll either be sold at a loss or retained to race at breeder's risk.

However good luck and good fortune to those who consider him the real deal.

THE SCAM

The top 10 yearlings will be bought by a stallion owner, that's called "marketing". They will be shared among "dummy" clients, who don't know what's going on. Those top 10 yearlings will be either owned by the stud who stands the stallion (that's called a loyalty bonus) OR they are foal shares with the stallion owner. Free publicity with 7 times more convincing power than a paid "Ad", all for the price of "half commission" at the sales. Works every time, dummys keep jumping off the cliff.

200 mares covered, maximum 50 sell at a profit. Dumb breeder races the rest, and loses $1000s or sells and loses $1000s Thumbs Down

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind or a fool from any direction
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>