Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Darren Weir - Police Investigation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:49am
The most amazing thing about his career was that he won almost a million in prizemoney, and his only win was nondescript 2 yo maiden in Ireland, and he then raced on for almost 7 more years without a win!!! Stern Smile

I doubt there is one that could go close to matching that for the frustration factor!Censored

Glad he's found a nice home, was it a bookie who bought him???LOL
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

Not necessarily the nomenclature most here would use, but 10th is a place in the Cup... It has to be At First Sight based on the rest of the description.

You learn something new every day! LOL

I saw her today & yes, it's At First Sight, he left on the float this morning  for permanent retirement with others Big smile

Edited by Gay3 - 02 Jun 2016 at 10:19pm
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:53pm
Treble today - Great trainer
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:23pm
treble and a half actually

296.5 winners for the year
last season was 297.5
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:16pm
MK are both those figures for up to June 2 or is the 2nd what he reached for the season?
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 1:32am
Originally posted by Pardon_My_Dust Pardon_My_Dust wrote:

Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

Not necessarily the nomenclature most here would use, but 10th is a place in the Cup... It has to be At First Sight based on the rest of the description.

You learn something new every day! LOL

I saw her today & yes, it's At First Sight, he left on the float this morning  for permanent retirement with others Big smile

Word of the day PMD
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

MK are both those figures for up to June 2 or is the 2nd what he reached for the season?

I can help with that,

last season his final tally Aug 1 - July 31 was 297.5

only one win off beating his last season at the moment
J.Hawkes has the commonwealth record of 334 winners for the season. At this rate Weir will go very close.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:35pm

Weir approaches historic mark

BY ADRIAN DUNN - @ADRIANDUNN2
19 hours ago Horse Racing

Trainer Darren Weir. (Pic: Getty Images)

Sometime before the weekend is over, maybe as early as Friday, Darren Weir will join the ‘300 club’, one of racing’s most exclusive clubs.

After a quartet of winners –  Praecereus, Torelli, Telopea and Stormcraft – on Thursday at Bendigo, Weir’s tally of winners this season moved to 297, one shy of his personal best set last season.

And, with 21 runners, including three at Friday’s Geelong meeting, between Friday and Sunday, Weir is poised to not only set a new benchmark for himself, but to become only the third Australian trainer to reach 300 winners in a season.

David Hayes was the first Australian trainer to reach the triple ton when he prepared 306 winners in 1991-92 season. Hayes’ record was eclipsed 11 years later when John Hawkes trained 334 winners. Both Hayes and Hawkes sit in Australian Racing’s Hall Of Fame.

At the start of June, Weir needed to average just 21 winners in the final two months of the season to rest the title away from Hawkes. It now appears a matter of when, not if, the boy from Berriwillock, the tiny town in north-western Victoria, will set a new national training mark.

Weir, whose stunning season is headlined by winning the Melbourne Cup with Prince Of Penzance, has three runners – Artie Dee Two, Maddie Moo Moo and Tenacitus – engaged on the synthetic surface at Geelong.

He ramps up his assault on Saturday with 10 runners at Ladbrokes Park as well as Puccini in the G2 Eagle Farm Cup (2200m) at the re-opening of the Eagle Farm track.

On Sunday, at Warrnambool and Pakenham, Weir will saddle up a further seven runners. Given the strength of the stable it would surprise if he did not train his 300th winner before the curtain falls on the weekend’s racing.

Over the past five seasons, Weir has trained a stunning 1206 winners.

Brad Rawiller, an integral part of Weir’s success, also moved to within one win of his 10th successive season where he has ridden a century of winners.

Rawiller rode three of Weir’s winners - Praecereus, Telopea and Stormcraft - at Bendigo to push his season’s tally to 99.

He has four rides at Geelong – Artie Dee Two and Tenacitus – for Weir and six rides at Ladbrokes Park with five Kenedna, Zandarral, Wish Come True, Something To Share and Sooboog for Weir.

ARTIE DEE TWO HAS SINCE WON THE FIRST AT GEELONG TODAY

SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 6:01pm

Weir backs 'Boog to break bogey

He's got 15 runners country-wide on Saturday and trainer Darren Weir has pin-pointed his best chance, although he might excuse punters for not following him in on this occasion.

Sooboog has been tough to catch, but clearly has more talent than two wins from 12 starts suggests - and Weir is backing in the former Hawkes Racing galloper to pull out his best in the Ladbrokes Cash In Handicap (1300m) at Sandown.

Outside factors have played their part, but Sooboog's past seven starts have followed a yo-yo pattern - with runner-up results in the Listed Moomba Plate and Group 2 Euclase Stakes interwoven with midfield finishes, most recently in the Group 1 Goodwood.

Weir did chuckle when putting his weight behind Sooboog as his best - acknowledging he hasn't been a punter-friendly horse - but he did turn the Snitzel colt's form around in his first start for the stable with a flashing-lights run in the Euclase.

"He's definitely my best chance tomorrow, for sure," Weir told Racing.com's Racing Ahead on RSN 927.

"He's drawn a little awkward [in barrier 12], but we'll know how the track's racing by then.

"He definitely should've finished closer in The Goodwood, for sure. He just didn't have much luck.

"He hasn't gone backwards, he's in the same order so hopefully that's good enough.

"I'm a bit keen to ride him pretty quiet anyway, so I think he'll be hitting the line well."

Sooboog is a $4.40 chance with CrownBet.

Weir has three runners entered in Stakes races at Eagle Farm, and with the predicted downpours set to hound the revamped track, he said Shades Of Bella (Listed Juanmo Stakes) is the only one of his trio with wet form.

Puccini is in the Group 2 Eagle Farm Cup (2200m), while G1 winner Stratum Star will look to get back into some form in the Group 2 QTC Cup (1300m).

"Went terrible his first run up here [in Brisbane]," Weir said of the Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes winner.

"He certainly has improved a lot since then. He looks great. I saw him have a gallop yesterday morning, and he really stretched out really good.

"The wet ground's a concern, I don't think he's going as well as he can go, but he's certainly improved a hell of a lot on his past few runs."

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 8:26pm
Can anyone refresh my memory?
Wasn't there an "episode" a few years back @ Warrnambool where the stewards had issues with some of weirs horses in relation to a trainers bonus?
I seem to recall they scratched a few of them under unusual circumstances
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Wasn't there an "episode" a few years back @ Warrnambool where the stewards had issues with some of weirs horses in relation to a trainers bonus?

Been a stack of 'episodes' with this bloke.

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 8:31pm
He seems like a great character to know, especially back in the 60'sLOL
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Bi Carb Bi Carb wrote:

Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Got any proof?
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Originally posted by Bi Carb Bi Carb wrote:

[QUOTE=Shrunk in the Wash]Can anyone refresh my memory?

Got any proof?

Kinther King
Grey Juene
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 11:10am
UPDATE ON THE WEIR SPRING STARS

Australian Guineas winner Palentino is set to step up his preparations for this year’s Spring Carnival.

Trainer Darren Weir said the son of Teofilo, who has won three of his seven starts and was last seen finishing runner-up in the Alister Clark Stakes at Moonee Valley in March, will commence galloping at his Warrnambool stable this week.

Yet to determine a target for the rising four-year-old, Weir said there were plenty of options for the colt who is currently rated a $21 chance in CrownBet’s Cox Plate market.

“We could kick him off in the Regal Roller (1200m) at Caulfield in August and then go to the Memsie Stakes (1400m) and the Makybe Diva (1600m),” Weir said.

“Or we could kick off in the P.B. Lawrence (1400m) and go to the Memsie and the Makybe or we could wait for races like the Rupert Clarke (1400m) and the Toorak Handicap (1600m).

“It will just depend on where he’s at in his preparation.”

Weir, who has currently trained 316 winners this season and is in hot pursuit of the Commonwealth record 334 winners set by John Hawkes in 2002/03, said Palentino would be joined at Warrnmabool this week by fellow stable stars Signoff and Tosen Stardom as they also ramp up their spring preparations.

After missing last year’s spring carnival through injury, Weir said the race that stops the nation was the main target for 2014 Emirates Melbourne Cup fourth placegetter Signoff.

“Signoff’s good and his main goal is hopefully the Melbourne Cup,” he said.

“He’ll probably follow a similar path to what Prince Of Penzance did last year.

“Tosen Stardom will probably kick off in the Makybe Diva.”

Weir said Lucky Hussler was also back in work but was yet to determine a target for last year’s Toorak Handicap winner.

He said Magic Millions 3YO Classic winner Mahuta was the most forward of his leading spring contenders.

“Mahuta had a good solid gallop at Burrumbeet on Thursday,” Weir said.

“He’s the most forward and he’ll probably head towards the Regal Roller and the Memsie.”

tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 11:12am
Also he had 4 winners yesterday so his season tally is 320.
Hawkes record is 334
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 3:26pm
Off topic, but does anybody know if Weir gets many expensive yearlings?  Or are they usually lower to mid range buys?
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 3:59pm
In the past no, but he has new client Mr Zhang (Yu Long Investments) who has been buying up big both tried horses and yearlings, 90% of his horses are now with Darren
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 12:27pm
The most over rated trainer in Victoria.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Based on?
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 12:30pm

Who are the better trainers in Victoria?
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 12:34pm
Um... no
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 1:51pm
I would sight examples such a Glorious Sinndar and Goldstream as examples I how good he is. 

Neither could get out of their own road when with Kris Lees. Heading south to DKW they have improved sharply and quickly.

Although maybe these examples show how bad Kris Lees is at training stayers Shocked
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 2:02pm
Lips Areios
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 4:19pm
Out smarted himself.

One or four other horses would have been just as suited if not more so to that race.

reductio ad absurdum
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 8:47pm
Not sure l follow stables as much any more but as far as the Weir stable goes they had to make hay while the sun shines and he (with a little help ... good onya kids you work hard) seemed to throw a lot at doing that.

l'm just thinking that stable will now have to get really really good at the placing of the horses they have - good luck Smile

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 3:03pm
Another dart misses - Foxanne
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 3:05pm
Didn't do much in the trial either
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 5:23pm

Another dart misses - Foxanne
Not sure why you hate Weir - but at least your consistent
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 5:51pm
He doesn't hate Weir, just doesn't like his training methods - which is fine. It's just a bit of banter!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>