Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Darren Weir - Police Investigation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 12:31pm
Got you and you're right there are far to many who cheat and don't get caught. 
Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 12:40pm
I think its good Weir is under investigation because for me, its hard to do the form around his horses - when some run poorly and then run out of their skin the next start. I have always said it to mates that its a frustration. 
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Heavenly Glow Heavenly Glow wrote:

I think its good Weir is under investigation because for me, its hard to do the form around his horses - when some run poorly and then run out of their skin the next start. I have always said it to mates that its a frustration. 

You could say that about most trainers..
Heavenly Glow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavenly Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

No. I can only say it about Weir. Form reversals around his horses are common and suspect. It messes with my form study. That is my experience anyway. Other trainers it will only happen on the odd occasion. 
Hartnell is dominant View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartnell is dominant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 4:02pm

Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

No. I can only say it about Weir. Form reversals around his horses are common and suspect. It messes with my form study. That is my experience anyway. Other trainers it will only happen on the odd occasion. 

Well when Weir has 600 horses on his books, and sometimes many in the one race, you have to expect that. they can’t win every start. They are not machines
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:58am
That property out at Baringhup will be a hard sell. Too off the beaten track & boutique for most training businesses.

Assuming he avoids jail time, and isn’t sent to the wall with the earnings from his forced divestment being deemed proceeds of crime, does the disqualification prevent him from setting up a breeding business?
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 11:14am
Not allowed to be on a registered premises of any trainer or a racetrack, so he is not allowed on the property at Baringhup. Can’t have anything to do with breeding, racing or yearling sales. Can’t bet on racing. Can’t own horses, can’t have anything to do with the sport.
Has to move out of his house in ballarat as it is on registered training premises
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
nodebt View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nodebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:12pm
Racenet comment re a news story on Wier posted 7th Februrary
"One big race in particular has been the subject of much scrutiny on social media in recent days and another has also caught the eye of pundits on twitter."
Out of interest any forum members able to answer or post links
Would be interested in having a look at replays.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:21pm
One of the big jumps races won Mclean has been talked about a bit
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by nodebt nodebt wrote:

Racenet comment re a news story on Wier posted 7th Februrary
"One big race in particular has been the subject of much scrutiny on
social media in recent days and another has also caught the eye
of pundits on twitter."
Out of interest any forum members able to answer or post links
Would be interested in having a look at replays.

Go onto racing.com and watch Cougar Express and Bit of A Lad race at sandown in August.
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:54pm
Jockey's action on the McKinnon winner has been much discussed
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 3:54pm
How can they stop him going to a pub for a beer and having a bet?
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

That property out at Baringhup will be a hard sell. Too off the beaten track & boutique for most training businesses.

Assuming he avoids jail time, and isn’t sent to the wall with the earnings from his forced divestment being deemed proceeds of crime, does the disqualification prevent him from setting up a breeding business?

Could he set up a huge wave pool to compliment the 100 tonnes of sand that was trucked in.

Or have massive beach party's ?
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Paul Hogan Paul Hogan wrote:

Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Could he set up a huge wave pool to compliment the 100 tonnes of sand that was trucked in.

Or have massive beach party's ?

I've heard he's opening a Battery World Franchise in Ballarat
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:33pm

Group One winners

Extra Brut (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Brave Smash (Kris Lees)

Amphitrite (David and Ben Hayes and Tom Dabernig)

Land of Plenty (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Age of Fire (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Voodoo Lad (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Sopressa (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Humidor (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Group Two winners

Nature Strip (Chris Waller)

Ringerdingding (Chris Waller)

Kenedna (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Whispering Brook (Simon Miller)

Leonardo Da Hinchi (Mick Price)

Group Three/Listed winners

Theanswermyfriend (Chris Waller)

Verry Elleegant (Chris Waller)

Night's Watch (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Kemono (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Yogi (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Krone (Mick Price)

Gallic Chieftain (Archie Alexander) 

Kiwia (Archie Alexander) 

Fifty Stars (David and Ben Hayes and Tom Dabernig)

All Too Huiying (Phillip Stokes)

Civil Disobedience (Anthony Freedman)

Pleasuring (Mat Ellerton and Simon Zahra)

Thermal Current (Mat Ellerton and Simon Zahra)

2YOs

Yes Yes Yes (Chris Waller)

Hulk (Chris Waller)

Nussink (Patrick Payne)

Indiscretion (Phillip Stokes)

Other notables

The Gatting Ball (Mick Kent)

Declares War (Matt Cumani)

Euroman (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Junipal (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Thunder Cloud (Ciaron Maher/Dave Eustace)

Holy Freeze (Peter and Paul Snowden)

Furrion (David and Ben Hayes and Tom Dabernig)

Hawkshot (David and Ben Hayes and Tom Dabernig)

Chauffeur (David and Ben Hayes and Tom Dabernig)

Amerock (Mitch Freedman)

Dee Jay Artie (Mitch Freedman)

Bellaria (Leon and Troy Corstens)

Anjana (Mick Price)

Social Spin (Mick Price)

Boomstock (Mick Price)

Ozi Choice (Mark O'Donnell)

Banacheck (Patrick Payne) 

Invincible Amici (Patrick Payne)

Silentz (Phillip Stokes)

Camp View (Phillip Stokes)

Prima (Phillip Stokes)

Mr Quickie (Phillip Stokes)

Not A Single Woman (Phillip Stokes)

River Mist (Mat Ellerton and Simon Zahra)

River Jewel (Mat Ellerton and Simon Zahra)

Zaide (Josh Julius)

Westham (Josh Julius)

brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:38pm
Thanks PT. Handy list. Looks like EuMa (not surprisingly) and Waller scored well!
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:39pm
HHD too!
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:47pm
Mitch freedman and Archie Alexander both picked up some pretty good country/progressive gallopers
They picked up about 40 between them I believe.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 1:21pm
Does anyone know how Darren is doing, health/mental side of things ?
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

Does anyone know how Darren is doing, health/mental side of things ?

I would hope he is doing okay
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 2:50pm
I wondered that myself.  Does he have kids ? Would be hard for them if he does.
animals before people.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I wondered that myself.  Does he have kids ? Would be hard for them if he does.

Yes he has two teenage daughters.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 8:00am
Darren Weir heads back to farm after moving out of Forest Lodge

Banned trainer Darren Weir spent his final week at Forest Lodge recommending new trainers for horses, briefing them on the gallopers’ idiosyncrasies and fitness levels and bidding farewell to his long-time staff.

He also had to wade his way through the complicated transferral of ownership of many horses in which he had an interest.

Weir was given 10 days to get his business interests in order, including the transfer of his Ballarat stables to Ciaron Maher, following a crippling four-year disqualification last week after the discovery of three ‘jiggers’ in his master bedroom at the property.

The 48-year-old left the Forest Lodge property earlier this week, and is understood to have settled back into his farm at Treveson Park in Maldon.

The Sunday Herald Sun has been able to confirm that several owners and friends of Weir — although shocked by the swift nature of the raids on his property and his subsequent suspension — have been in contact with him to inquire about his welfare and to offer personal support.

“Everyone makes mistakes,” one person who preferred to remain anonymous said this week. “No one wants to see him crucified.”

Maher admitted it had been “awkward” in sorting out the transfer of Forest Lodge last week, but stressed that everyone involved knew it had to be achieved.

“It was like standing in someone’s living room and they had to sell their house; and I was just the guy trying to buy it,” Maher said. “But Darren and his team were very straight forward … they knew it had to be done.”

Weir briefed Maher on the former horses transferred into his care, including stars Extra Brut, Nights Watch, Humidor, Voodoo Lad, Sopressa and Gailo Chop.

Weir’s former staff — most of whom will now be redeployed with Maher — were shattered by what has transpired last week.

But some showed their support to their former trainer by changing their Facebook profiles to include images taken with the five-time champion trainer.
PhillipC View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 8:09pm
This was posted a few days ago showing where the majority of the horses have gone (hope this link works) http://cdn.racing.com/-/media/racing/files/weir-horses
http://www.equinehaven.com.au
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:06pm
Of the 75 staff at Ballarat, 12 have been let go by Maher and his team due to having less horses.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:37pm
Pretty decent outcome really
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:12pm
If Darren Weir is deeply remorseful over time, he could actually become an asset to the industry, in horse protection, conduct and standards.
Some people, after the dark, see the light, and can actually entirely reverse their purpose, and turn bad into good, and end up leaving a new legacy. A better legacy than lifting up trophies.

Point being, if he isnt jailed etc, it would be nice if the industry could encourage him to go on the front foot, with a new purpose and be an asset. Its something that shouldnt be ruled out.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:45am
DKW = China

EAD
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:46am

A bit like asking a pedo to become a school teacher

Edited by Gay3 - 20 Feb 2019 at 9:17am
EAD
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:36am

Seek help, or counselling Redemption, you are on a different planet, remorse? look at his rap sheet, the bloke is a recidivist and will never change, don't waste industry money on assisting him either, there are so many honest toilers out there that just need half the chances Weir was given to lift their lot in life, in most cases the difference between a good trainer and an average trainer is.....wait for it, ....a good horse.
Weir can face the music, if he is only found guilty of buzzing them up, a lesser sentence will follow, anything more sinister, well, the music might be very loud indeed....let's see.

Edited by Gay3 - 20 Feb 2019 at 9:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 25>