Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Climate Change - Global Warming..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 283284285286287 540>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 10:03am
Interesting info re volcanoes & their effect on climate Smile

And now we have a volcano erupting in the tropics, and this will have major implications to the weather for next year, and given I have had a lot of questions about it, I will quickly cover it here.

Usually, and from all the papers I have read, volcanoes always have a net cooling effect on the globe, especially the ones in the tropics. They spew out millions of tonnes of Sulphur Dioxide, and this then goes up into the stratosphere, and cools the globe, by reflecting sunlight off these particles back out into space.

However, whilst that is a net gain, by cooling and making us wetter due to increased low level clouds, it also slows down the trade winds and may just ruin next years La Nina attempt.

It’s more to do with shifting the Inter tropical convergence Zone, and this mechanism moves the trade winds further South. So this is going to be very problematic, in that models do not have these stochastic events entered into them.

In the next Weekly Wrap Up, I will cover this in a bit more detail, as despite the slow down in trades, its usually very wet the year after an eruption.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 1:10pm
Why has Tasmania been so hot in the last few weeks? Tasmania is my planned bolthole after the heat makes the big island intolerable. At this rate I'll have to go to Antarctica.Angry
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 3:01pm
I went to Tassie in about Feb 1982 (I think), and it was 40+ and bush fires!... climate changes, and we can't stop it.

Modelling is just an attempt to legitimise the fraud, that man is responsible.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 3:05pm
It is rather a shame that the cause(s) of the Ice Age(s) is a matter of contention. One popular theory cites long time scale fluctuations in solar intensity, but it is not "settled science". Another implicates the closing of the Central American land bridge, causing big changes in oceanic salinity, all of which is well beyond my ken.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

I went to Tassie in about Feb 1982 (I think), and it was 40+ and bush fires!... climate changes, and we can't stop it.

Modelling is just an attempt to legitimise the fraud, that man is responsible.

I know why you didn't go back Doc.

Tasmania was supposed to be underwater by the mid 1990's.

That was where the term "Drowned Rats " originated.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 3:10pm
I like Tassie, been back a couple of times, hope it doesn't disappear under the rising sea levels any time soon ... like in the next billion years!Wink
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 10:11pm
I know a man down there who told me some 10 years ago he wouldn't buy near the coast for the rising sea levels reason.
After nearly 50 years in the Hospital System , I had quite a lot of time in the Psychiatric areas and I can assure you , few would be as mad as that man, completely engulfed in the global warming hoax.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 7:53am

Victoria is set to be drenched with up to three times its monthly rainfall average mostly over two days with "unprecedented" thunderstorms due to hit the state on Friday and Saturday, which could lead to flash flooding.

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning with heavy rain and thunderstorms forecast to move across the state from the west from tonight.

Senior forecaster Scott Williams said the heaviest storms were set to hit Melbourne and the state's north and north-east late on Friday night and into the early hours of Saturday.

"I don't think I've ever seen such a deep low form over Victoria whilst we've got this moisture around," he said.

"So to that extent we are a little bit in unchartered territory in terms of the weather.

"This is a very big event, a very widescale event and it's right at the top end of rainfalls that we've seen in Victoria in the last 30 years."

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

<p ="first">Victoria is set to be drenched with up to three times its monthly rainfall average mostly
over two days with "unprecedented" thunderstorms due to hit the state
on Friday and Saturday, which could lead to flash flooding.

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning with heavy rain and thunderstorms forecast to move across the state from the west from tonight.

Senior
forecaster Scott Williams said the heaviest storms were set to hit
Melbourne and the state's north and north-east late on Friday night and
into the early hours of Saturday.

<div ="inline- right Tweet ded">

"I don't think I've ever seen such a deep low form over Victoria whilst we've got this moisture around," he said.

"So to that extent we are a little bit in unchartered territory in terms of the weather.

<blockquote ="quote--pullquote">

"This
is a very big event, a very widescale event and it's right at the top
end of rainfalls that we've seen in Victoria in the last 30 years."

30 years and 100 years before that.
The weather channels & predictions weren't as available then , But I'm sure it was climate change .   We get it every year and then some.
It will be Summer in Oz tomorrow , I blame that for the warming.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:33pm

Tesla to switch on SA mega lithium battery on Friday, hitting Musk's deadline

Cole Latimer

Published: November 29 2017 - 5:02PM

Tesla is carrying out its final tests before the world's largest battery installation goes live on Friday, hitting Tesla chief Elon Musk's 100-day construction target.

The date was an important one for Mr Musk, who bet Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes via Twitter that Tesla could build and install the unit power in 100 days, or the $US50 million ($64million) system would be free.

The system began energising on Saturday, swiftly reaching a third of its potential 100-megawatt charge and meeting both the Australian Energy Market Operator and South Australian government requirements for operation.

During this week's ongoing testing phase, the battery has provided energy grid security support to South Australia.

South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill said the battery storage system will help support South Australia during the upcoming summer season, and reduce its reliance on other states for additional energy.

"While others are just talking, we are delivering our energy plan, making South Australia more self-sufficient, and providing back up power and more affordable energy for South Australians this summer," Mr Weatherill said.

He said Tesla has delivered an enormous amount of work into bringing the project online in such a short time.

"The world's largest lithium-ion battery will be an important part of our energy mix, and it sends the clearest message that South Australia will be a leader in renewable energy with battery storage," he said.

South Australian Energy Minister Tom Koutsantonis called the battery's most recent developments a global energy milestone.

South Australia's grid scale Battery in Jamestown has begun charging. Today we lead not just the nation, but the world. Some said it couldn't be done, some even said it shouldn't be done, they're all wrong. https://t.co/nvYQTthp37

— Tom Koutsantonis (@TKoutsantonisMP) November 25, 2017

The 100-megawatt battery system, which can provide 129-megawatt hours of energy, is designed to reduce intermittency issues and manage increased demand during summer peak loading periods, potentially providing enough energy to power 30,000 homes for eight hours, or 60,000 homes for four hours.

It is paired with French firm Neoen's Hornsdale wind farm, located near Jamestown, about 200 kilometres north of Adelaide.

The system is part of South Australia's wider $550 million plan to power the state. Elon Musk won't be present for the switch-on, the SA state government said.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/business/energy/tesla-to-switch-on-sa-mega-lithium-battery-on-friday-hitting-musks-deadline-20171129-gzv8qo.html

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:41pm
I see the price of Lithium and Cobalt, the elements used in the new-fangled batteries, has soared to dizzy heights. One wonders if this won't become the brick wall this kind of idea is about to hit. I dare say some prospecting will be in progress in areas known to carry the minerals required.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:43pm
Maybe some horse trainers can start digging up the cobalt they hurriedly buried.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 2:32am
How many diesel generators have been commissioned in South Aus since the last renewable disaster, in preparation for the inevitable Summer Blackout Season?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 2:32am
Almost every business with any reliance on power has had to buy one.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 10:01pm
Haaaaarrrrrrp -geoengineering.... did anyone order a supercell storm ?
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 10:06pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-09/liddell-coal-plant-closes/9243180

When all the coal fired power plants are closed and renewable energy is easily meeting all demand, Turnbull will claim credit for that too.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 12:02pm
Read an article yesterday, Australian businesses are very wasteful with their energy use compared to overseas firms. This is because of years of extremely cheap energy , there was no need for efficiency of use.
They have failed to adapt their methods to the times, so yes they are being hit with greatly escalating prices but are not doing much to help themselves.

Households, that is a different matter
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 1:05pm
This terrible climate change delusion.

Our Scientific outlets claim their weekly predictions are correct 45% of the time.

Need I tell you that makes them wrong 55% of the time.

Can't get it right on a weekly time frame but you brainwashed victims believe them when they predict over a 100 year period.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

This terrible climate change delusion.

Our Scientific outlets claim their weekly predictions are correct 45% of the time.

Can't get it right on a weekly time frame but you brainwashed victims believe them when they predict over a 100 year period.

macca they have over 100 years of data proving an increase in temperature. climate change has Nothing to do with predicting day to day weather. 

JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Read an article yesterday, Australian businesses are very wasteful with their energy use compared to overseas firms. This is because of years of extremely cheap energy , there was no need for efficiency of use.
They have failed to adapt their methods to the times, so yes they are being hit with greatly escalating prices but are not doing much to help themselves.

Households, that is a different matter

There's probably a heap most households could do too, whale. Awful lot of wastage. Add to that the fact that the modern Australian living room is roughly the same size as my grandparent's house was. Which has to be heated, cooled, lit etc.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 7:41pm

Victoria is set to be drenched with up to three times its monthly rainfall average mostly over two days with "unprecedented" thunderstorms due to hit the state on Friday and Saturday, which could lead to flash flooding.

Senior forecaster Scott Williams said the heaviest storms were set to hit Melbourne and the state's north and north-east late on Friday night and into the early hours of Saturday.

"This is a very big event, a very widescale event and it's right at the top end of rainfalls that we've seen in Victoria in the last 30 years."

How did this prediction actually play out ? Many of the Climate Believers are probably disappointed in how underwhelming it was !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 9:35pm
All the best Jay Weatherwall ... I hope your Big Battery becomes a tourist destination ... cant see it doing much more than that, oh, and costing a ship load of money and providing major disappointment ... it's what the Tesla man does!Wink

Tesla’s Quality Woes Affect More Than 90 Percent Of Their Cars

Nine current and former Tesla employees revealed that the vast majority of Tesla’s Model S and Model X vehicles require fixes after leaving the assembly line.

Citing Tesla’s internal tracking system, the same people said to Reuters that quality checks routinely revealed defects in more than 90 percent of Model S and Model X vehicles inspected following assembly.

Tesla responded to the report by saying that their “quality control process is unusually rigorous, designed to flag and correct the tiniest imperfections” but denied to provide any post-assembly defect rates. 

Sorting the quality before initial assembly is crucial for automakers, because repairs don’t only cost money but time as well. In comparison, less than 10 percent of the cars Toyota makes have to undergo post-manufacturing fixes.

A former Tesla supervisor said that “so much goes into rework after the car is done ... that’s where their money is being spent”. Tesla claims that most of their post-manufacturing defects are minor and resolved in minutes.

These issues are normal with any new car but the persistent defects with the established Model S and Model X paint the picture of a company “still struggling to master basic manufacturing”, the workers said. 

Cars requiring fixing are known as “kickbacks” within Tesla and their issue ranges from minor things like dents and scratches to more complicated like malfunctioning seats. Defects included “doors not closing, material trim, missing parts, all kinds of stuff. Loose objects, water leaks, you name it,” another former supervisor said. “We’ve been building a Model S since 2012. How do we still have water leaks?”

The most serious cases however are headed to one of Tesla’s outdoor parking lots to await repair. The workers said that the backlog on the lots, known internally as the “yard”, has exceeded 2,000 vehicles at times. When asked about it, Tesla denied that such “repair lots” exist. 

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/12/teslas-quality-woes-affect-more-than-90.html

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

[QUOTE=maccamax]This terrible climate change delusion.

macca they have over 100 years of data proving an increase in temperature. climate change has Nothing to do with predicting day to day weather.
QUOTE :----

They have thousands of years of data and now know horse shxt isn't going to smother England any time soon.
They have over 100 years to see mustard gas won't wipe us out and appear to be cooling on the belief the ozone layer will tip us all into space.
The worry about splitting the Atom is on the drawing board and the rise of Germany is another worry we truly have but global warming , Not a problem ... we will all have our own beach..
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 10:13pm
OHHH MY GOD < THE END be about to arrive. "End Of The World ‘Weeks Away’ After Biblical Plagues Start On Earth", one reads, while another claims that "End of World ‘IN WEEKS’ as signs '10 Bible plagues to destroy Earth have started’".

One of them begins "THE end of the world is coming in weeks and the first of the Biblical 10 plagues have already been seen, according to extraordinary claims". But those extraordinary claims should come with extraordinary evidence – and while there are some strange things going on, the apocalypse simply isn't about to arrive.

All of those reports are a little confused, not saying exactly how or why the world is about to end. But they mostly point to a claim made by David Meade, who wrote a book called 'Planet X – The 2017 Arrival', and says that the end of the world is coming in October.

Mr Meade has reportedly suggested that Planet X or Nibiru – a huge planet that apparently inhabits our solar system – will come smashing into the Earth soon, and destroy everything here.      Except TBV
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 6:25am
Are you ''collaborating'' with Redemption maxie?
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 6:59am
macca - the CEO of AGL has decided to close down liddel power station. He will replace with a mix of renewables gas, batteries and an upgrade to Bayswater coal fired - consumers will pay 20% less for their power. sounds really  bad.
Of course this might lead to blackouts and the end of the world as well
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 7:32am
The LNP COALition, the party who claim to be the party of free enterprise bullying companies over their investment decisions, presuming to know better, because it makes a mockery of their sad anti renewables ideology 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

How did this prediction actually play out ? Many of the Climate Believers are probably disappointed in how underwhelming it was !

That post doesn't belong in this topic but I could not be bothered searching for the right one- it's weather, not climate. I thought it was an unusually bold, balls-to-the-wall forecast by the BOM. That's why I posted it. I wasn't surprised they didn't get it right, as far as Melbourne goes.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 12:26pm
The difference between weather and climate is a measure of time. Weather is what conditions of the atmosphere are over a short period of time, and climate is how the atmosphere "behaves" over relatively long periods of time.
   All Cyclical and jumped on by Psychiatrics to get their head on TV.
        One big Delusion .       
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 283284285286287 540>