Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Cardinal Pell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 119>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 6:39pm
Actually it's the popular Pope Francis, and the powerful liberal bishops and cardinals of the CC who inform his decisions, that have stopped the process of really doing something about this disgusting mess. Francis was supposed to be a reformer of this kind of stuff, but it turns out that he never had any intention of doing so. The previous pope did want to do something about it - but he made history by stepping aside because he saw what was ahead, and who was surrounding him in the vatican. There are some pretty powerful folks dubbed the "lavendar mafia" who might be called to account one day, but not any time soon. Pell is an enemy of theirs, by the way.
Don't shoot the messenger! Just telling the facts.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 9:01pm

Cld abuse royal commission: Catholic Church blocks victims' path to further compensation

Updated about 2 hours ago

Catholic crossIndependent review of the Melbourne Response — the church's program set up in 1996 by then-archbishop of Melbourne George Pell to deal with sexual abuse claims made against it.

Mr Ryan's report was released in 2015 but it was suppressed by the church for more than a year.

A redacted version was publicly released by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse last Friday at the conclusion of hearings featuring senior Catholic figures.

In order to receive compensation from the church under the Melbourne Response, victims had to sign a deed of release waiving their right to other avenues of legal compensation.

The Ryan report recommended the church no longer require victims sign the deed to receive their money.

It also recommended that those who signed it in the past have it waived so they can seek further compensation.

The church today said it rejected the recommendations.

It also knocked back the recommendation to make compensation available to victims' families or carers.

It cited the need to ensure its redress scheme remained affordable and sustainable.

The Ryan report also recommended the church increase the compensation available to victims to at least $150,000.

The church earlier agreed to meet the base figure.

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:03pm
A new nook coming out :

Cardinal, The Rise and Fall of George Pell

details abuse of altar boys by georgie porgie in the 90's
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

A new nook coming out :

Cardinal, The Rise and Fall of George Pell

details abuse of altar boys by georgie porgie in the 90's

What crime has george pell been charged with? (Ive heard that line before )

it may happen, but lets allow due process and the rule of law play out.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:27am

Victoria Police receives advice on investigation into Cardinal George Pell

Beau Donelly

Published: May 16 2017 - 11:22PM

Victoria Police has received advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions about its investigation into Cardinal George Pell, days after fresh details of historic sex abuse allegations were aired.

Detectives from the Sano taskforce, the squad set up to investigate historic child abuse allegations, will now consider the DPP's advice, police spokeswoman Creina O'Grady said on Tuesday night.

"Victoria Police can confirm that it has received advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions relating to a current investigation into historical sexual assault allegations," she said.

"As with any investigation it will be a decision for Victoria Police as to whether charges are laid. As this remains an ongoing investigation, we will not be commenting further at this time."

Police would not comment on any recommendations contained in the brief.

Cardinal Pell, Australia's highest ranking Catholic official, was interviewed by three members of Victoria Police in Rome last October. The 75-year-old took part voluntarily.

Cardinal Pell has always vehemently denied sex abuse allegations made against him.

Fairfax Media last week reported explosive details of child sex abuse allegations levelled against Cardinal Pell that are contained in a new book, Cardinal: The Rise and Fall of George Pell, by ABC reporter Louise Milligan. The allegations against Cardinal Pell relate to his time as both a priest and as Archbishop of Melbourne.

On the weekend, lawyers for Cardinal Pell strongly denied the allegations, and said they were false, "unjustifiable, scandalous, deliberate and calculated to cause the most shocking damage imaginable to Cardinal Pell".

The legal letter also claimed the publication of the book's allegations were a "deliberate attempt to influence the public opinion in a manner that would make it impossible for our client to receive a fair hearing in court should he be charged".

A separate statement from his Rome office on Saturday night, in response to a request for comment on the allegations, accused the book's publisher, Melbourne University Press, and media organisations including Fairfax Media of "interfering with the course of justice".

"Cardinal Pell will not seek to interfere in the course of justice by responding to the allegations made by MUP and media outlets today, other than to restate that any allegations of child abuse made against him are completely false." 

A brief of evidence against Cardinal Pell was returned to the Office of Public Prosecutions for consideration last year.

The Sano taskforce was set up to investigate allegations that emerged from the 2013 Victorian parliamentary inquiry into child sex abuse involving religious and non-government organisations.

The taskforce also investigates allegations of abuse arising from the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/content/adaptive/theage/victoria/victoria-police-receives-advice-on-investigation-into-cardinal-george-pell-20170516-gw6dcc.html

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:25pm
So what's new? The witch hunt continues, some schmuck wasted too much time writing a book (with "fresh details"?), and the element in Vic police who want to burn him still have nothing. Big news here.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:44pm
On what basis do you describe actions by the Victoria Police and the Director of Public Prosecutions as a "witch hunt?".

And the allegation that there's an element in the Vic Police that wants Pell burned is just that - an unsubstantiated allegation.

Bottom line is that as in any investigation evidence is taken and a decision ultimately made as to whether or not a prima facie case exists.  And that's about where things stand at the present time.

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

On what basis do you describe actions by the Victoria Police and the Director of Public Prosecutions as a "witch hunt?".

And the allegation that there's an element in the Vic Police that wants Pell burned is just that - an unsubstantiated allegation.

Bottom line is that as in any investigation evidence is taken and a decision ultimately made as to whether or not a prima facie case exists.  And that's about where things stand at the present time.

I think I alluded to those things during the thread, but yes, let correct procedure and hopefully justice be done. I'll be very surprised if Pell is found guilty of anything, let alone child abuse. If I'm wrong, good.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:28pm
Just wasted half an hour of my life skimming through this thread... There's about 20 posts that have anything to do with Pell being accused of anything. About 70% of the rest is PT keeping people "informed" about the latest BS, 20% crap about who believes in what and why, and a lot of random comments.

You could apply that to most threads here. (Except that Dr E wisely kept out of this one.)
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:43pm
I think I posted something somewhere?
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

I'm a filthy protestant (as my catholic missus would say) so, if I had wanted exposure to paedo's growing up, I had to join Boy Scouts (missed out there too!).

I do have a mate who went to Catholic Schools and was taught by Brothers in the early 70's ... went on to become a Teacher himself. I remember the rumors and innuendo in the mid 80's and asked him about it ... his answer was matter of fact and chilling ... he said, whatever you've heard, it's true! ... he said that he was a luck one, but he knew of plenty of victims.

Needless to say, in spite of my missus' protests, our kids are all proud public school graduates (and never went to Boy Scouts either!)

Knew it!Wink

... I actually chatted with my mate recently - the NSW Catholics WILL run out of money paying for what happened up here.

... imagine how good a Catholic Education could have been, if they had all that lovely Protestant/Gonski tax money subsidising the fees, and it wasn't just draining out the other end, compensating victims ....Unhappy
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:31pm

I'm a filthy protestant (as my catholic missus would say) so, if I had wanted exposure to paedo's growing up, I had to join Boy Scouts (missed out there too!).

I do have a mate who went to Catholic Schools and was taught by Brothers in the early 70's ... went on to become a Teacher himself. I remember the rumors and innuendo in the mid 80's and asked him about it ... his answer was matter of fact and chilling ... he said, whatever you've heard, it's true! ... he said that he was a luck one, but he knew of plenty of victims.

Needless to say, in spite of my missus' protests, our kids are all proud public school graduates (and never went to Boy Scouts either!)

Knew it!Wink

... I actually chatted with my mate recently - the NSW Catholics WILL run out of money paying for what happened up here.

... imagine how good a Catholic Education could have been, if they had all that lovely Protestant/Gonski tax money subsidising the fees, and it wasn't just draining out the other end, compensating victims ....Unhappy

It's all about $ for you doc.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:55pm
You guys didn't mention spending money allocated for Catholic education into pastoral activities instead.  

This is the big sleeper which will almost certainly emerge in the shytefight that's going to occur over proposed school funding.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

You guys didn't mention spending money allocated for Catholic education into pastoral activities instead.  

This is the big sleeper which will almost certainly emerge in the shytefight that's going to occur over proposed school funding.

Eh?
I think the very rich Catholic Church should pay for their own schools.
Sworn Revenge View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sworn Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:55pm
Attended my daughter's confirmation tonight. The church had " booked " Archbishop Denis Hart for the gig. Call it keeping the peace with her mother whom chose this path for her or simply moral support for my child. Either way I wanted to give myself an uppercut and suppressed self loathing for the entire duration.

Let's hope that if God does exist he loves a hypocrite because clearly by my attendance mine knows no grounds!
It's only called gambling when you lose
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:06am
Is that Dennis "better late than never" Hart, SR?Ouch
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Sworn Revenge Sworn Revenge wrote:

Attended my daughter's confirmation tonight. The church had " booked " Archbishop Denis Hart for the gig. Call it keeping the peace with her mother whom chose this path for her or simply moral support for my child. Either way I wanted to give myself an uppercut and suppressed self loathing for the entire duration.

Let's hope that if God does exist he loves a hypocrite because clearly by my attendance mine knows no grounds!

It ain't the way it's neant to be these days.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:34am

Cardinal George Pell set to be charged with serious sex offences

Published: June 29 2017 - 9:25AM

Cardinal George Pell, Australia's highest ranking Catholic, is set to be charged with  serious sex offences today.

Victoria Police are expected to announce the charges within hours. 

There are expected to be up to three serious sex assault charges, including at least one count of rape.

The announcement is set to send shockwaves through the Catholic Church in Australia and around the world.

As Australia has no extradition treaty with the Vatican, Cardinal Pell may avoid prosecution should he choose not to return to Victoria, but he is expected to come back to fight the charges.

Three detectives from Victoria Police's Sano Taskforce travelled to Rome to interview Cardinal Pell about the allegations last year.

In May this year, Victoria Police received advice from the Department of Public Prosecutions regarding the investigation.

It was the second time the DPP had been asked to review the brief.

On May 25, Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said a decision was "imminent" about the investigation into Cardinal Pell.

He has previously been accused of sexually abusing a number of boys.

He has repeatedly and emphatically denied all allegations, but said he would continue to co-operate with the police investigation.

Cardinal Pell was a priest in Ballarat before becoming Archbishop of Melbourne and then being appointed as a Cardinal.

More to come

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/national/cardinal-george-pell-set-to-be-charged-with-serious-sex-offences-20170628-gx0v8y.html

max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:57am
PT no doubt holds fast, as I do, to the principle of the "presumption of innocence".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:09pm
If guilty, the CC hangs its head in shame again. and hopefully it helps the victims get some sort of peace and justice.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:23pm
Great news.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:37pm
He is a great man and innocent.
Charge the fraudulent Pope instead, for believing in Climate Change Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

PT no doubt holds fast, as I do, to the principle of the "presumption of innocence".

I do indeed max, but it is great to see him get his opportunity in court under oath, isn't it? This has been going on long enough, we need resolution, as does the Catholic Church.

He will come back wont he, or will the Vatican protect him as they did in the Vatican Bank fiasco?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:47pm
He is innocent.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:48pm
Whilst I am no fan of the bloke it will be interesting to see the evidence tested in court.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

I do indeed max, but it is great to see him get his opportunity in court under oath, isn't it? This has been going on long enough, we need resolution, as does the Catholic Church.

He will come back wont he, or will the Vatican protect him as they did in the Vatican Bank fiasco?

we have no extradition with the vatican. but we do with italy. if the vatican protect him, the italian authorities can charge him if he steps outside the vatican city. hopefully, he cooperates on his own accord like he has so far and returns when required to do so.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:59pm
I don't know whether he will return voluntarily or not. I know if I was falsely accused, I would be keen to repudiate the allegations. His reaction to the charges being laid will be interesting.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:03pm

I don't know whether he will return voluntarily or not. I know if I was falsely accused, I would be keen to repudiate the allegations. His reaction to the charges being laid will be interesting.

You might want to defend your name or honour but when things come down to one persons word against another things can turn ugly against the innocent.

If he truly believes in God than he will have no fears.

Which has always struck me as odd with his refusal to fly for the Royal Commission. Wouldn't God be protecting him or choosing to take him when he sees fit ?

Why would he be afraid of dying ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:07pm
He is supposed to be holding a press conference at 4:30 EAST
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:08pm
AEST (bloody lysdexia Angry)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 119>