Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Bit Lifter First time Resons?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bit Lifter First time Resons?
    Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:34pm
Could someone please explain what the purpose of this gear change is?

Breathing problems chocking down?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

punter1 View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:40pm
reasons not resonsOuch
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:41pm
Keeps the bit high in the mouth so horse cant get it's tongue over it.
SPRINTER SACRE - "SIMPLY THE BEST"
punter1 View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote punter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:50pm
Whats the reason its getting used though horse chocking down breathing difficulty?
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:57pm
To prevent the tongue getting over the bit, if it gets over the bit the horse can't breath properly, nor can the jockey steer properly..tongue tie works a million times better IMO bit lifters are naff.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:27pm
Perfectly answered Quez bar the tongue tie which does as you say, work well but  a large % of horses resent it intensely. Much has to do with how comfortably it's fitted, too tight cuts the circulation & is extremely painful, too loose & away she goes LOL.
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Quezacotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quezacotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:55pm
Womens panty hose make the best toungue ties, generally two loops around the tongue then tied underneath the bottom jaw does it...have seen some done too tight using the wrong material, it's awful, the tongue is all blue etc...eech.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 6:48pm

Gee Quez, haven't heard anyone use naff for awhile, love it myself, discribes things well, though I am not a fan of tongue ties, does anyone know how the winning tongue plate bit is working? Suppose to be an alternative to a TT and bit lifter.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 7:00pm
Got some very poor reviews on Cyberhorse, GAJ, all claiming it to put more pressure on the tongue thereby encouraging 'its'' removal Smile. Some also stated it was being endorsed by non riding trainers who were most likely given 'incentives' Wink
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 7:40pm
Thanks Gay, Can I ask if you have any solutions, have you used the tria bit or is there another way to avoid the TT. obvious things like dentistry have been addressed with this mare.
JoH View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 8:44pm
Gay3, I don't know if it'll fix your mare's 'issues' but I had an endurance horse with a similar problem.  I was at my wit's end and ended up trying a bit with a french link on him and it worked a treat. 
He didn't seem to want to get his tongue over the bit any more and whether it was playing with the link or the extra room the french link gave him I don't know ... but whatever it was , the 'issue' was gone.
Every horse is different, so no guarantees, but might be worth a try.Smile

suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 9:30pm
Thanks JoH, hopefully your advice will come in handy for later viewers with that problem, however I'm presently not one Big smile, check out the OP Wink. I'm now a devotee of the new Triabit, a lovely kind device which does a way with the nutcracker action of most & by way of its' position in the mouth, lends itself to less tongue fiddling. Horses seem to relax beautifully in them & I see close to 25% seem to be wearing them now, tantamount to their popularity. Not cheap at about $90 but hey.........it's a drop in the ocean in the overall scheme of things LOL
JoH View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 10:16pm
No worries Gay3 - looking at the Triabit its looks like it would give a similar result to a French link (removing the nutcracker action) but without making any allowance (extra room) for the tongue.

As far as the cost, bits are no different to just about anything else - you get what you pay for.
 I wouldn't consider $90 too dear for a bit that suits your horse and means you regain control. 

Having a horse get his tongue over the bit doing slowish work on State Forest 'roads' was bad enough - to have it happen during track work or a race would be off the scared-out-of-my-wits scale for this little black duck.  Embarrassed

suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 10:48pm
Thank you Gay and Joh , will get a tribit for this mare, hope it helps her, can't stand watching her suffer with the tt , if she is comfortable she will probably perform better.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 12:18pm

Due to the almost straight design of the 'ring' piece, the bit takes on a half moon shape which causes it to stay higher on the bars & across the tongue, thereby making it harder for them to retract tongues enough to get them over Smile. I find with any type of central join(s) it can drop low enough to allow easy tongue retraction but damned near every horse is different ay? LOL 

eta: Coincidentally I've just come across these which look ideal if one is forced to use a tie:

http://www.comfytie.com/index.php?p=1_14

Edited by Gay3 - 27 May 2012 at 6:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic