Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Big Duke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:40pm
You simply cannot win when you're as far off the lead as he was. The amount of work he had to do to put himself in the position he was at the 600m-400m was Herculean and wasn't always going to leave him gassed for the last bit.

Settled too far back when you know there will be a tear away leader, and left his run too late. And I've always been a Boss fan.
Sunline...simply supreme
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:54pm
It simple maths - give them too big a start - you will lose.

Mice - I agree it was a different contest, however he needed a more positive rider than Boss IMO.

Anyway - he will be even better next prep. Onwards & Upwards.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

You simply cannot win when you're as far off the lead as he was. The amount of work he had to do to put himself in the position he was at the 600m-400m was Herculean and wasn't always going to leave him gassed for the last bit.

Settled too far back when you know there will be a tear away leader, and left his run too late. And I've always been a Boss fan.

I could also be argued had Big Duke settled closer to the lead he would have used too much energy to do so. And then not have as much energy to burn in the straight because the tank is near empty. He could have finished further back.

He had his chance.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

I thought he was close enough at the 600 and had a nice cart up into the race, but then as 3BM mentioned seemed to get lost turning for home and lost ground between the 600-400 which peobably was the difference between winning and losing IMO.

I've never been a huge Boss fan but rate him in these staying horses, so had no hesitation backing the horse on Saturday with the UBET money back for 2nd-3rd offer. Certainly don't think it was a butcher by any stretch. If I didn't get money back perhaps I'd feel differently.

Great campaign by the horse all the same and as Sir Gov said onwards and upwards.

Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:39am
Couldn't see a problem with the ride.  He looked a big chance at the 200 but died on his run.
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 1:05am
Great ride.

Close enough if good enough
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 1:23am
I agree he may have won with the same ride as the winner, but 3 lengths off that horse at the 600m in a 2 mile race doesn't rate as too far back to be in a winning position imo. If he was ridden as he was in the Chairmans he runs midfield like the other on pacers did chasing LS' silly pace.
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:20pm
Every chance
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Mr Grieves Mr Grieves wrote:

Couldn't see a problem with the ride.  He looked a big chance at the 200 but died on his run.

That is the way I read it.

Hopefully the Caulfield Cup is his main spring target with the Melbourne Cup a bonus on top.

reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Grieves Mr Grieves wrote:

That is the way I read it.

Hopefully the Caulfield Cup is his main spring target with the Melbourne Cup a bonus on top.

I think that's the plan. 3rd up Caulfield Cup ideal
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:59pm
Looks very good, nice kick off for him
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 4:09pm
HE was good, hit the brick wall late but that was to be expected
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 6:50pm
Improved a lot , on track for the Melbourne Cup
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 4:05pm
That was like trackwork
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 4:10pm
Trainer says Moonee Valley Cup and then to Flemington
Owners are also considering running him next week at Caulfield instead of Moonee Valley
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 1:03pm
Nom for the Japan Cup - thoughts djebel??
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 4:04pm
Hmmm here come the Avduffer comments
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 10:24am
Won't stay 3200 unless it's another POP
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 10:32am
Weir saved all the magic stuff for Humidor yesterday, Big Juke was simply not up to it
EAD
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 11:28am
He disappointed but they walked yesterday.
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 11:40am
Was only there yesterday for a track gallop wasn't he?
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 12:02pm
went ordinary & was expected to perform.......maybe too hard the track (Iam clutching?)
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm
Race was a farce. 3L first to last in a 2500m race . They absolutely walked early and I don’t think he liked it, then couldn’t really build momentum. I don’t think he’s good enough for the Cup but wouldn’t read too much into that race.
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 12:28pm
Similar run to POP
Disregard at your own peril
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 12:35pm
Had two cracks at Sydney cup and couldn’t win twice.. wouldn’t say he’s a strong 3200 either...
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 2:05pm
I think he is a struggle at the distance to.

He ran away from Auvray and the rest of them at 2600m last time out and Auvray came back and made good ground off him in the last 200m.

That race was not as high rating as when POP ran second in track record time to The United States and so for mine he is a $101 shot at Flemington!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 4:04pm
Saying he can’t stay 2 miles is a bit tough, he was beaten less than a length in the 2017 Sydney Cup over 3200m by 2 pretty good stayers in Polarisation & WSTB.

He’s had a lucrative preparation this spring picking up some nice prize money cheques in the Metropolitan Hcp and AJC St Leger.

But for mine he’s had 1 too many runs in the campaign if the main aim was the Melb Cup. Not sure why he needed to run yesterday. I see him finishing somewhere between 10th to 15th in the Cup.
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 6:44pm
Weir thinks he may need another hit out in the Lexus.
@value_punter
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 10:33pm
Will win.
That is all.
Mark my words.
1.3 Lengths
Time 3.21.47
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 3:06pm
Best of them Aussies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>