Please visit VillageBet for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

best punting stories over the carnival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best punting stories over the carnival
    Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 2:36am

A couple of years ago I was in the nursery carpark on Emirate's Stakes day having a few beers. Anyway it got to the last race and I was down to my last 20 bucks. I went up to back some horse I can't remember then I saw this horse called Utility. I had this sudden flashback to this horse running 2nd on thousand guineas day a few weeks before. I looked at the form and saw that it had beaten Brom Felinity and Newport home in the race.

Newport had since won on oaks day and brom felinity had won the mares race earlier in the day. I looked up at the board and Utility was 50/1. but I had this strange confidence in it (or perhaps a few beers) and that the formline just jumped off the page. It had barrier 1 and they rail were off and everyone hunted wide on the turn, Utility hugged the rails and won easily. Turned 20 bucks into 1000 in 5 minutes. Went back to the nursery and gave my two mates 100 bucks each.

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Relampago View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relampago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 2:38am
Bullsh1t....

You didnt give your mates anything...LOL
Daintree Duke Fan Club President!!! RIP!!!

Melbourne Autumn Tipping Champion 2009!
Melbourne Spring Tipping Champion 2009!
fritta101 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritta101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 3:25am
Mine doesnt have to do with the carnival or the gallops but is good none the less. When i was at uni me and a few mates went to the local for lunch and a couple of pots, One of my mates went to put a $5 quinella on the next race at Globe Derby harness, When he put it on he put the worng numbers in, he went to cancel it but i said to to him, stuff it its only 5 bucks, Of course his ticket turned out to be a collect with the winner paying around 40 to 1. So for stuffing up his number i think he collected close to a grand, needless to say we didnt go back to uni, stayed at the pub and got rotten and had a hell of a day.
Testy Calls View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Testy Calls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 4:14am
Want a good story... I backed Utility for a place on that day!! Faaaaaaaaaaark!!
Got the balls to make the big calls..
Twits View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 4:31am
I actually did a very similar thing in that exact same race. I had had a rat of a day, could not get near it. Was down to my last $10, chucked it on Utility, from memory it paid $43?? on the tote. Hugged the rail and won easily.
From memory it won the Eclipse a couple of weeks later at Sandown too?? But I may have just dreamed that as I was doing cartwheels off my balcony when it got up.
princerubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 5:51am
yep Utilty was at $50 on the tote in Victoria, it was $40 on the bookies on track.

And yep he won the Eclipse two weeks later at about 18/1 and i didn't put a cent on him.
DiamondsAtDusk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiamondsAtDusk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 5:58am
had a few good spring carnival collects, nothing major, had Typhoon Zed the day he won up the straight (held on protest aswell) and got the Running double either side of him. Also remember having a quinella from memory the last race of the day (not sure which one) with Zankel & Rockford Bay which paid about $220 or something similar.
We Started Nothing.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 6:06am
I remember when Rockford Bay won the last on Derby Day. I  looked at the formguide and thought how the f^ck did that win?

He has won one race in Darwin in about 30 starts since and is still going around LOL

I had a massive collect when Tesbury Jack nosed out Typhoon Zed at Caulfield one day. I backed him straight out and had the running double into Miss Fantabulous. I loved old Tesbury.
alexxx View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 6:44am
walked upto the girls, they gave me their number straight up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 6:50am
Originally posted by alexxx alexxx wrote:

walked upto the girls, they gave me their number straight up

yeah the old fake number trick. Gets rid of them everytime!
shizzydirka View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shizzydirka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 6:53am
my best punting story was when i followed the tips of "BROOKE"............

wait.....no...that was the best laugh ive had at someone on the punt... my bad
SET THE SPINNAKER FOR THE LOSE
alexxx View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 6:54am
they wanted my number for my late mail also 
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 6:58am
I remember a young drunk was cheering, showing off and ranting to the general public on Derby day 07 when Sirmione romped them in the Mackinnon.

funniest thing was a few minutes later when he was checking his tickets he only had him for the place!LOL
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 7:15am
We were on a footy trip in Adelaide and went to the races. We were doing pretty well and had a few frothys and decided to load up in the last.
For some reason we gave probably the drunkest guy of all of us the money to place the bet, which was $2000 win on the favourite, which was paying $2.90 and was number 3.
Anyway the d1ckhead put it on the 13, which was paying $18!
The long-shot almost won and came 2nd, lost by about 6 lengths though:)
But it gets better... don't know what happended to the ticket, don't know who the booky was, but reading the paper the next day the $18 2nd place getter won... it won because the jock of the winner weighed in light!!!
Of course we went back there, but nobody could help us out... And, of course the guy who threw the ticket away had many beer bongs all the way back to Vic!
scoot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 7:19am
i backed utility that day to.
Josh_call View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh_call Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 7:21am
mine is the same as blakes.
cup day 2 years back. typhoon zed 2nd, liger 3rd
protest went through and was upheld so typhoon zed 1st liger 2nd had $1 on the exacta for a cool $400 smackeroonies
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 7:56am
A few years ago at Randwick totes a friend and i were keen on betting on Sorenstam, who was $12  then suddenly dropped to $10 before the jump, so we kept circling all the bookies looking for anyone offering $12, and with seconds to go i yelled to one bookie $200 on no 12 please" only to realise that no 12 was Rewaaya at $3, who luckily won!!!  Tongue
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 8:01am
I was at the valley one day with my old man and some of his mates. One of his mates gives me 100 bucks to put on a horse in Adelaide. I come back with the ticket and he screams he's put it on the wrong horse. It's too late to change as they're about to jump. The thing wins at 5/1 and he doesn't give me a dollar. Dad told me later on that night it was because he lost 2k on Hareeba earlier in the day.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 8:03am
Melbourne Cup Day 2002, I backed Media Puzzle, Inspire and Roman Arch.

Made a stack that day. The best day ever.
Testy Calls View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Testy Calls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 8:44pm
My best was Cox Plate Day 2000. I was in Sydney, working at the Olympics. I went out at around 5pm on the Friday, expecting a moderate night on the gas. One thing lead to another, and the night gradually got longer and longer. After visiting 4 or 5 pubs, we ended up in that $hithole Star City. Being blind, decided to have a flutter. Blew a stack, which added to the pain of paying for a bucketload of drinks. Got home at 11:30am!

My old favourite Sunline was running in the Cox Plate, so I made sure I got out of bed to watch that. She romped in, and I went back to bed. Fair to say, I was still pi$$ed.

I had remembered that there was a horse that I liked in the last race at the Valley. So I set the alarm, and woke up with just enough time to get down the pub. I checked the bank account when I got to the pub, it was in disgraceful condition! I think there was $146 in it.

After the night I had, I needed redemption. I pulled $100 out of the bank, and plonked it on the nose. The horse was paying $17. Didn't even bother backing it for a place.

The horse jumped in front, and travelled well to the turn.. With about 50m to go, it was still in front.. Then I let rip with the following at the top of my voice...

"GO THE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARKEN SHINER!!!!!!"

Fair to say I wasn't popular with the publican.

It got up, Mike Moroney and The Shiner had well and truly got me out of the $hit. Guess what I did after that? I called some mates and started what turned out to be another bender, got home at 6am the next morning. Good times.
Got the balls to make the big calls..
chillerz69 View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chillerz69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 9:06pm
one of the luckiest things iv seen in punting happened on saturday on the cox plate. The old man has a phone TAB account that he rarely uses with about 2k in it. anyway he loves whobe so he decided to whack 1k on its nose once it got out to $3.

the next morning he has asked me  to check his transactions online, because he just checked his phone account and he now has $9300. Since he never uses the phone betting, he didnt know you are meant to say the horses number and not its name. The voice recognition somehow misunderstood "1000 win whobegotyou" as "1000 win number 2 and 14", which is obviously zipping and so you think. I cant imagine how pissed he would have been if whobe won and the account was down 2k haha.
Odds On..Get On
Phar From Good View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phar From Good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by chillerz69 chillerz69 wrote:

one of the luckiest things iv seen in punting happened on saturday on the cox plate. The old man has a phone TAB account that he rarely uses with about 2k in it. anyway he loves whobe so he decided to whack 1k on its nose once it got out to $3.

the next morning he has asked me  to check his transactions online, because he just checked his phone account and he now has $9300. Since he never uses the phone betting, he didnt know you are meant to say the horses number and not its name. The voice recognition somehow misunderstood "1000 win whobegotyou" as "1000 win number 2 and 14", which is obviously zipping and so you think. I cant imagine how pissed he would have been if whobe won and the account was down 2k haha.

You can ring back and ask for the recording to be checked over ;) you pretty much had 3 horses running.... haha
Galati38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galati38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 9:34pm
DMG and I decided mid august this year to go down to sandown, of course school that day wasnt an option, so we caught two trains on a rainy day and went down to betfair park, after a run in with security i managed to get the quaddie in a last race photo = $350Smile 
Phar From Good View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phar From Good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 9:38pm
My best was last year was having a horrid run in the carnival so it reached emirate stakes day... down a bit and decided on a quaddie...

had 4 in first leg All silent wins (bit disappoint as was fave)...
next race had 4 running Bird of fire gets up at 15 (which is when nerves kicked in).... 
next race i had only 3 (Light vision, Baughurst and Capecover) a flood of money came for capecover who bolted in...
Last race i had 1 yes one my favourite horse (probably for this reason and love the breeding of show a heart) Rightfully yours who saluted in great fashion!

Won close to a grand was up for the carnival by a fair bit Clap
Gun Punter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gun Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 10:08pm
Fantastic stories guys, keep em coming!

I've never really had a memorable day off the top of my head, not for the good reasons anyway.  I always seem to be 1 winner away from a massive collect Cry.  Best day was about 4 or 5 years ago when I got a decent quaddie and daily double for about a 2.5k collect.

If Bauer won last year I would've won a stack hence it was not to be.  That photo finish will haunt me for the rest of my life!

If Hot Danish won a few weeks back I would have had a massive day also.  Cost me the Big6.

My big day must still be coming Thumbs Up!!
spleeep View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spleeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 10:23pm
My best punting story is earlier this year on Australia Cup day at Flemington when I got the quaddie.

I had to take Thursday and Friday off work that week as i had a severe case of the runs. Dehli belly, BAD. Anyway i was a broken shadow of a man, couldn't hold anything down, not even water, could hardly even get up if it werent to go to the dunny.

ANYWAY too much info; the races are on free to air, and im laying there alone, just hating life coz the missus is at work, therefore not there to look after me (normally i love it when she is at work on the weekends and leaves me alone hahaha). So i rang up the tab and deposited $150 into my account.

I'df never done a quaddie before but although it was a tough day of races some clear pick jumped out at me. Long stroy short i spent $120 (5x4x3x2) and got the quaddie and it paid 12k!!!

From memory in every race that day on my quaddie ticket, i actually had every quinella too!

1st leg - Scenic Blast at $15 (newmarket)
2nd leg - Heart of Dreams at $3.90 (cadbury guineas)
3rd leg - Niconero beats Theseo at $14 (Aus Cup) LOVELY!!!
4TH leg - Rockpecker beats Whobegotyou at $7

Needless to say i started to feel better after that, and the brown river subsided.

Spleeep Star

Am I gambling with more than my money? Probably...
antlowes View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlowes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 11:22pm
My biggest windfall was with 3 of my mates over some beers at the Doncaster in Randwick a few years ago. It was Cup day at Caloundra as well as one of the big jumps meeting in Vic. We had a quaddie at each meeting for $10 each. The Melbourne quaddie went out in the first leg and we only scrambled to get the Caloundra one on after a horse wouldn't load and had to be vetted. Needless to say all selections were rather rushed! Our $40 got us 55% of the final dividend so we must of had 72 odd combinations

I had Maslins Beach in the first leg (SC Guineas i think) which got up at $5 which was a decent start. Start bragging a little as you do.

In the second my pick Hard To Catch looked like he had left his run too late but managed to get the photo and at $20 my bragging became a little louder!

As i said previously the selections were a little rushed and for the Cup i had just scanned the field for wet form as it was a genuine heavy track. The only thing with any was named King Latarmiss so i duly included it without looking at the price. Ended up starting at 66's at to be honest gave nothing else a chance in the race - winning quite easily. By now my bragging turned to nervous excitement and the next 40 minutes saw my 3 mates and i pacing the floor of the Doncaster trying to decide whether we should back all other runners (we only had two in the final leg) to ensure some kind of profit. The TAB approximates showed that one of our selctions would pay $55k whilst the other was $100k plus (we only had 55% of these dividends).

If anyone has gone through that waiting for the final leg with the possibility of a huge payoff pending they will understand what we went through - it was deadset torture. Anyway we decided against backing the other runners as we were pretty confident a Rogerson runner would salute (Vegas Showgirl) and our other selection- Shin Kickin Cowboy (girl?) was also a chance.

The torture finally ended with Vegas Showgirl romping in and we has 55% of $55k or about $26,000 to show for our $40! At that stage i thought this punting game was easy and this kind of thing would happen every second weekend - two years or so later im still waiting for a similar situation!

Maybe this weekend will be the one Tongue
Pihanga View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pihanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 6:44am
some pretty good ones in recent years, 

finding rebel raider at midnight nz time on derby day eveand putting 20 snoz at 100/1 and 2/3 for my son who found it

finding sculptor in saab at 23/1 and then efficient cup at 17/1 and that redoutes thing sharkbite 12/1 and turning it all in to a $2k leonburger puppy that now weighs 60kg 

but perhaps the best was in 1986 when my little bro dreamt that rising fear was in the cup tri, so he boxed up all the realistic chances around it and got $15k back for his 200

and drawing dandaleith in both sweepstakes in 1978 and getting absolutely blotto at hartogen oil's offices and throwing up on the ferry on the way home to my $50 per week one bedder in kirribilli
Blue Breeze 3wins, 143k, Gr1 Auckland Cup 3rd, Gr2 Avondale Cup 2nd, Gr 3 Counties Cup 3rd.
3yo Showcasing half bro going into first racing prep and then for sale as a trial winner
Pihanga View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pihanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 7:02am
but the best derby day ever was 1989 when we went out to counties and needed about4 cup scratchings in melb for our horse pdv to make the cup field with 51.5kg, we have a huge day on the punt and back 5 winners, nayrizzi breaks down in the mackinnon, and apollo run and Hunter both jarr up big time, and then the frigging derby winner stylish century pays up and we are left one behind in the order of entry with nzer shannon lad in front of us, it doesnt pay up (and wins the QE the following sat) and at 9.30pm nz time jim bowler tells us over our huge brick mobile phone about the size of a car battery  that we are in and my brother throws up 3 litres of beer and red wine outside the bronze goat in ponsonby road , and we get on the plane next morning and finally sober up at the daily planetWink the following afternoon
Blue Breeze 3wins, 143k, Gr1 Auckland Cup 3rd, Gr2 Avondale Cup 2nd, Gr 3 Counties Cup 3rd.
3yo Showcasing half bro going into first racing prep and then for sale as a trial winner
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 8:10am

Lonhro farewell day Randwick 2004.

Backed almost every winner apart from Grand Armee and still left sad because I was in love with Lonhro (went and had a chat with him though which was nice).

Caulfield Cup day 2004 I backed 7/9 winners that was fun.

I was a great punter from Sept 2003 to October 2004 but now I'm too lazy and it sux :(.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic