Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Best Melb Trainer to syndicate with?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pendlebury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Melb Trainer to syndicate with?
    Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 10:07pm
Hello All,

1st post here.
I am looking at getting involved in an part ownership of a horse soon and am wondering if anyone recommends a trainer to go with?

I am happy to pay up to $100/week for trainers fees (10% share)

I do want good communication and a proven trainer.

Have considered Price, Hayes/Dabernig, Ellerton/Zahra.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Group 1 Selections View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Group 1 Selections Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Pendlebury Pendlebury wrote:

Hello All,

1st post here.
I am looking at getting involved in an part ownership of a horse soon and am wondering if anyone recommends a trainer to go with?

I am happy to pay up to $100/week for trainers fees (10% share)

I do want good communication and a proven trainer.

Have considered Price, Hayes/Dabernig, Ellerton/Zahra.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Never had a horse with Mick Price but have bought a couple of his cast offs and have rung for his opinion of them a few times. Seems like a very genuine bloke, knows his horses in his stable. Even those slower ones he has got ridden of.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 11:03pm
I rate Archie Alexander as an emerging star. Good pedigree.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 11:06pm
You can't go past Moody, O'Brien or Kavanagh ........Tongue
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 11:12pm
I currently have horses with darren weir, Mainly battlers but one multiple city winner. Can't say a bad word about my experience.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Sully83 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sully83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 12:18am
We have had horses with Moody, Price, Waller, Gai, Sam Pritchard-Gordon, the Freedman bros, Lloyd Kennewell and Gerald Ryan. 

Of them, Waller and Gai provide the most updates, which probably reflects the volume of staff they have - you pretty much get one every week regardless of whether the horse is in work or not. The problem is that they are sometimes disjointed, as I suspect they are being written by different people week to week. Gai's updates are usually pretty amusing, but you have to read between the lines a bit to work out what exactly is going on. I haven't had one with Gai run yet, so I don't know what her comms are like around raceday, but Waller is very good at sending a pre-race voicemail usually the morning before each run, which given the volume of runners he normally has is pretty impressive.

The Freedmans generally provide frequent, high quality comms when the horses are in work. We usually get weekly voicemail updates from Anthony or Lee, which are usually pretty informative.

Of the others, Sam P-G does a good job with voicemail updates as well. Moody has also started sending regular voice updates, which are usually pretty detailed and informative. Mick Price also sends very regular updates when the horses are in work. We receive very little from Gerald Ryan, but the horse with him is still a baby. so that may improve as they get closer to racing. Lloyd Kennewell sends sporadic written updates when the horse is in work.

Hope that helps.

whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 12:20am
good write up sully
Sully83 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sully83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 12:45am
Cheers! Not all Melb trainers obviously, but I'm not sure it matters too much these days.
ncarter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 1:56am
Which trainers are charging 1k a week when in work?
Sully83 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sully83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 3:14am
The Syd-based trainers are definitely the most expensive. Our trainers range from up near $150 per day to as low as $90 per day. Then add in all the other bits and pieces each month and it's not a cheap hobby if they aren't winning! That's why syndicates are so good. Small investment for a bit of fun, which is what racing should be about.
Sully83 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sully83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 3:26am
For the OP, only one of my trainers is over $100p/w purely in training fees for a 10% share, and that is a Syd based trainer. 

But there are a lot of other costs you need to factor in, and fees won't be consistent each month. Throw in a few vet bills, a trip to the farrier, track fees, and other bits and pieces, a 10% share with most Melb trainers located at a Metro track can cost around $500-600+ all inclusive per month when they're in work. 
Pendlebury View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pendlebury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 10:53am
Some good posts there guys. Cheers.

Good post Sully83, I always thought it would be best to steer clear of Waller, Moody & Gai due to the volume of horses they have and getting somewhat lost in the system but by your experience they seem to be quite good.

I'll look into Freeman aswell. Always liked him.

I had a look at Archie Alexander Whitt0 and he looks to have a few BC3 horses in his stable from a quick glance. Connection there somewhere perhaps?

I'll keep looking for the horse I'm keen to be involved in for now, a Hinchinbrook horse is something I'd like to consider.

Thank you all for your thoughts and feel free to post any potential horses you think are worth looking into for a share of as most people here have a pretty good understanding/opinion on the subject.

tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 11:29am
I've had a small share in a horse through Darren Dance's ATB for a year or so, and so far so good. They are currently offering a Sebring colt to be trained by Weir

Ownership shares begin at:
5% shares = $5,500 incl GST 
10% shares = $11,000 Incl GST

Ongoing monthly costs:
5% share – $180 (training), $45 (spelling)
10% share – $300 (training), $90 (spelling)

Also have a street cry colt to be trained by David Hayes

And a few others,

check out http://atracehorses.com.au/horses-available

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 11:42am
Troy and Leon Corstens are flying and you get continual video updates of trackwork and private trials and emails as an owner, even though my horses were complete duds.
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pendlebury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 1:27pm
Hmmmmm....

I'm liking this Street Cry Colt Tillyras.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 4:29pm
Amy Johnston just tweeted out she has bought Ballinaclash for $45k. Quite a promising horse. Last start Warwaick Farm winner, only a 3 year old gelding sold out of Godolphin today. I cant see how you couldn't have some fun with a share in this horse for a minimal outlay.
Sully83 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sully83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 7:22pm
I involved in a 2yo Medaglia D'oro x Turnstiles (Anabaa) colt with the Freedmans that has trialled well, and looks promising. I think they still have shares left in him and I think 10% will set you back about $10-11k.
Sworn Revenge View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sworn Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 9:38pm
Concur with Subastral. Decent correspondence from Malua Racing and with the father taking a closer role I can see their stable getting increased success
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pendlebury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 10:12pm
$45,000 for Ballinaclash seems quite cheap to me. Wonder why Godolphin has passed this one on?

Will keep an eye on it.

I had looked at that one Sully83. Hard to go past these Medaglia D'oro's at the moment. Will dominate here in Australia I think for a few more years to come.

Will make a decision soon.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 10:48pm
Medaglia could be the next Redoutes!
Sully83 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sully83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Sully83 Sully83 wrote:

I involved in a 2yo Medaglia D'oro x Turnstiles (Anabaa) colt with the Freedmans that has trialled well, and looks promising. I think they still have shares left in him and I think 10% will set you back about $10-11k.

This bloke ended up being Golden Spin. I know one forum member who bought a share. While we knew he had ability, his development this prep has surprised us a bit!
Hay List en View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hay List en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 12:20pm
You've got a beauty there Sully.  I have been following him as I know somebody who has a small share - why didn't I have a REAL bet on him yesterday after his stunning win the start before!
The Thin Green Line - supporting the rangers who protect the world's wildlife
doubledown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubledown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 12:52pm
Wow, congrats Sully - and the member who bought in!

Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 3:32pm
[QUOTE=Sully83]For the OP, only one of my trainers is over $100p/w purely in training fees for a 10% share, and that is a Syd based trainer. 

But there are a lot of other costs you need to factor in, and fees won't be consistent each month. Throw in a few vet bills, a trip to the farrier, track fees, and other bits and pieces, a 10% share with most Melb trainers located at a Metro track can cost around $500-600+ all inclusive per month when they're in work. 

Geez mate, I've just read this, the joys of retirement. If you're paying these kind of fees you need a man in a white coat, you mean to say you pay 5-6k a month?. ........no wonder your trainer drives a 300k merc, I had my last horse with a Syd metro trainer, 100 bucks a day, 100% ownership. ADL metro trainer = 85 bucks a day and yes there were extra's, but 3500 was the most I coughed.......God help you if you are happy with 6k......that's madness. Oh, and that's in full work, and to think I charged 45 bucks a day @ Flemington and Rosehill 25 years ago.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 3:39pm
My trainer charges $9 a day plus vets/travelling etc. (sth east SA) Wink horse is no good though. 
Hay List en View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hay List en Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 4:05pm
So with 100% ownership Bonjour, $100/day or $700/wk or $3000/mth - how long ago was that?  And extras never went over $500/mth
The Thin Green Line - supporting the rangers who protect the world's wildlife
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Hay List en Hay List en wrote:

So with 100% ownership Bonjour, $100/day or $700/wk or $3000/mth - how long ago was that?  And extras never went over $500/mth

Last year! Costs haven't gone up that much.....someone is having a lend.
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

My trainer charges $9 a day plus vets/travelling etc. (sth east SA) Wink horse is no good though. 

$9 a day , no wonder the horse is no good it must be eating fresh air.... A typo?
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 5:11pm
That's 9 Ozzbacks a day Noccy.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Amy Johnston just tweeted out she has bought Ballinaclash for $45k. Quite a promising horse. Last start Warwaick Farm winner, only a 3 year old gelding sold out of Godolphin today. I cant see how you couldn't have some fun with a share in this horse for a minimal outlay.

I've a feeling this might've won the other day sub Thumbs Up
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic