Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Best and Worst race callers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best and Worst race callers
    Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:29am
I know this is an old subject that comes up all the time but I thought with one of the best in the the business in Ian Craig retiring it should get another run!
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

Jarryd View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:33am
Worst : Hilton Donaldson, although he is good at picking a winner in running with 50m to go.
Niconero View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niconero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:46am
i love adam olzsanski (spelling?) when he does the country meets, agree with the hilton donaldson call.
djmurray View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:52am
Two of the worst are Terry Bailey and Brian Markovic, they are just horrible! Terrible voices and shocking judges.
bachi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:53am
Very hard job to do.
You should never be in a hurry unless your 50 metres from the post and you're in front!
scoot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Jarryd Jarryd wrote:

Worst : Hilton Donaldson, although he is good at picking a winner in running with 50m to go.

hahahahah.

you reckon, only if he is on it. usually he is still calling whatever he backed as it is plodding down the straight.
Blake View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:55am
Olszanski is a bit of a Star imo, when Greg gives it up i'd say he will take over on all platforms.
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:05am
Best: Greg Miles, Darren McAulay (Perth racecaller, he is fantastic)

Worst: Hilton Donaldson, the Australian guy calling in Japan (has anyone heard him?? he is crap-listen to his call of last Sunday's Tenno Sho, where he sounds confused the whole way around, or even worse was his call of the 2007 Japan Cup, where Admire Moon was three lengths in front before he realised that he was a contender, and he still stumbled on the name...)
kiwi88 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:11am
Best: David Raphael, Tony Lee

Worst: Alby Gain

Problem with racecalling is once they're past there best it's very hard to get rid of them.
Blake View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:21am
Does Alby Gain call in Mauritius? the japenese bloke who calls in english is absolutely terrible.
Blake View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:21am
sorry andy, didnt see your post!
dan moor = gun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan moor = gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:31am
the back in behind them guy pisses me off. i think its markovic

every frickin runner is back in behind them
Like a Melbourne tram going down flinders lane!
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:38am
Most of the American callers you hear are diabolical. Much worse than any of our callers in my opinion.
shizzydirka View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shizzydirka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Blake Blake wrote:

Olszanski is a bit of a Star imo, when Greg gives it up i'd say he will take over on all platforms.

agreed
SET THE SPINNAKER FOR THE LOSE
djmurray View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 9:09am
Ian Craig along with guys like Wayne Wilson and Greg Miles have been the best for many many years, there more of a throw back to old school callers who learnt there trade on radio, In recent history Bryan Martin and Tappy where experts in there trade as well.

Some more of my favourites are Toowboombas Pat O'Shea who has been probably my fav caller for the last 20 years, John Hunt was fantastic calling the trots in WA, the late Brian Blackmore was very 'aussie' and did a great job but his protege Rick Macintosh is a dead ringer for him. Tassie has some really good callers guys like Colin McNiff and Shane Yates.
WA has one of the best in the business in Darren McAulay
Easily the best dogs caller in the land is Paul Ambrosoli he's such a great ambassador for greyhounds, Ron Hawkswell does a super job in Melbourne along with Rob Testa, in QLD Paul Dolan has been the voice of greyhound racing for as long as i can remember and does a good job.

David Fowler and Dan Mielicki are at the top of the tree when it comes to harness racing, both know the game well and it shows. Jim Jacques is SA also does a good job. Ever since John Hunt retired in the west the standard of calling over there is terrible but i guess they where always going to be big shoes to fill. A quick mention to Adam Crettendan and Mark McNamara who both are good callers, McNamara obviously the heir apparent when Kevin Thompson retires.

Just a few blasts from the past, Easily one of my favourite callers of all time was Tassie's Peter Gilligan, He was one of the funniest characters i think racing has ever had, lines like "he's so far back he couldn't shoot the leader with a .303" or "this favourite's in more trouble then Kurt Cobain with a shot gun". I hear he left to work on local tv anyway he was great. Another fav of mine was Terry Spargo, I know he's been around the place alot but my lasting memories of him where calling in Brisbane in the 80's and early 90's, Loved his calls. Just a couple more names the stick in my mind as being good callers where Brian Bennett who used to call trots in Vic up until the late 90's and John O'Flaherty calling Warrnambool dogs both where good.

I know this post has gone on for too long but i cant go without adding some bad ones, In an earlier post i mentioned Terry Bailey and Brian Markovic, But there's plenty more shockers out there. Alan Hull at Wagga is painful to listen too doesnt matter if he's calling gallops or trots the guy is hopeless his stale old lines make me want to be violently ill, The days of Ron Papps in Adelaide are long gone thank god he was enough to make you turn the radio off. Chris Barsby in Qld still is irritating but is much better then he used to be. Just one final mention to Stuart Maxwell the guy that calls the trots at Young, Easily the WORST caller i have ever or will ever hear! I watched a race there not the long ago and a horse sat one by one for the entire race and he missed it for the entire race until the run on when it finshed down the track! Its not a one off thing either only a few weeks back a horse come from last on the turn out about 5 wide and won by about a length in the end but he only called it in the final 10m of the race! Its a disgrace that he's aloud to call.

Anyway cheers guys n gals
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 9:17am
worst - Markovic followed by Alan Thomas 'WOW THE FAVS LEFT AT THE START' (means its a neck behind where it shoudl be).

Best - that bloke from NZ
Tommo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 4:48pm
I consider Tony Lee to be, by a fair margain, the best racecaller.

The American callers are the worst.

andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Blake Blake wrote:

sorry andy, didnt see your post!

I'm glad to see you agree, he is sh*t isn't he?? Couldn't call two flies up a wall.
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 7:14pm
Is Tony Lee the guy that ALWAYS says before a G1 race "Let's bring it on!!!"

Love it.
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:01pm
G.Miles & I like Mark Shean & AT as well.  Miles can call a photo with the best of them and the other two can be humourous, if not the most accurate callers in the business.  Plus, G.Miles is improving still.  How good was his 2008 Melb Cup call!!

I also like the Sydney race caller on 927.  His call of the Grand Armee & Makybe Diva BMW was pretty good.  He has a good voice for radio and delivers a great call without sounding rushed.

Agree with everyone else, American race-callers are the worst anywhere in the world.  It's about on par with their racingPinch
john.spencer View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john.spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:35pm
Hilton Donaldson for in-running. For mine, he is a good judge of how well a horse is travelling . j.s
kiwi88 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by andynr123 andynr123 wrote:

Is Tony Lee the guy that ALWAYS says before a G1 race "Let's bring it on!!!"

Love it.

That's George Simon, up north.
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 9:24pm
Aah thanks for that kiwi
BetterHalf View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BetterHalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 10:07pm

Agree re: Americans.. It wouldn;t have even been worth listening to the Derby if you couldn;t see the vision.

Niconero View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niconero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 10:09pm
The accent just throws me off, let alone the quality of calling.
Whenever I watch the Derby i have to mute the tele, its just to painful.
silver View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 10:39pm
There's a lot of good callers, most of the Sky callers are outstanding, incuding Hilton Donaldson.

The very top guys and best to listen to:
Greg Miles
Wayne Wilson
Steve Hawkins

Ok callers, but not the best voices:
Olszanski
Sheen
Flindell
David fowler
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2009 at 9:50pm
Now I have heard something I don't want to hear - Hilton Donaldson singing Meatloaf...

:S
Samson View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 7:35am
Greg Miles is the best. Mark Shean sh*ts me to tears.
dennis View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 9:26am
Good ones, Bad ones.......lets face it when yous get a winner there all good.  Must admit did favour Bill Collins ( very articulate )  I think thats because of our higher educational levels in Victoria compared to the rest of Australia. 
Good luck.
Adladain View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adladain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 9:29am
Adam Olszanski, good voice and puts personality into his calls.

But, Terry Bailey was hopeless today at flemington, especially in the last.
Throughout the entire race he called the no. 3 Zupacool, Zupatwo.
He was still calling it Zupatwo, when it sprinted to the line and won.
Daintree Duke R.I.P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic