Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Bendigo trackwork death?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bendigo trackwork death?
    Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:04pm
Link to article

A woman has died after she fell from a horse at Bendigo Racecourse and a second horse fell on top of her.

Police and Ambulance were called to the course at 9.45am on Tuesday after the fall, but the woman in her 40s died at the scene.

WorkSafe is investigating the death.

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:05pm
Sadly a female trackrider in her 40s has passed away after falling from a horse at Bendigo racecourse at 9.45 this morning
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:11pm
Too many, too young. Very sad
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Too many, too young. Very sad
and mostly female
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:01pm
The tight-knight Bendigo racing community is in mourning after a female track rider in her 40s tragically died following a fall in a jumpout at Bendigo Racecourse on Tuesday morning.

The rider was attended to by paramedics on-course but was unable to be saved.

WorkSafe, with the cooperation of the Bendigo Jockey Club, are investigating the circumstances of the incident in which one horse fell.

That horse was euthanised by a veterinarian as a result of the injuries it had sustained.

In a statement, Racing Victoria confirmed the incident and said it is working with the Bendigo Jockey Club to offer its assistance to the family and local racing community.
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:53pm
Sorry to hear of another terrible accident, hope all that was possible was done re the paramedics attendance, the timeline especially will tell.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:58pm
Report I heard that sadly she was already gone when they arrived (within minutes)
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 3:26pm
what a rotten day :( How sad :(
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 5:11pm
Just heard the name . Thoughts with the family
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 6:09pm
An incident at the Bendigo Racecourse on Tuesday morning has claimed the life of rider Donna Philpot.

It is understood Philpot was taking part in barrier work around 9:00am when her horse suffered an injury and stumbled, WorkSafe said.

The rider then fell to the ground and was struck by her horse.

Police said in a statement Ambulance Victoria was called to the scene but Philpot could not be saved.

Philpot was a veteran rider in North Queensland before moving to Bendigo in 2014 with husband Gus, a trainer and former jockey, and their two daughters Jessie and Montana.

She retired from race riding before moving to Victoria due to injuries, but continued riding trackwork for her husband and other Bendigo-based trainers as a registered stable employee.

A lightweight jockey, Philpot was the first female rider to win the Cairns Amateur Cup.

She rode for the final time on Melbourne Cup day 2013 after a long career in the saddle,

Daughter Jessie has followed in the footsteps of her parents, with the move south allowing her to participate in the Racing Victoria Training Program and is currently on a three-month loan with the Canberra-based training partnership of Keith Dryden and Scott Collings.

RV Chief Executive Giles Thompson said Philpot was much loved in the racing community.

“On behalf of the Victorian racing industry, I would like to extend our thoughts and heartfelt condolences to Donna’s family and friends on the news of her passing as a result of a tragic accident at trackwork this morning," Mr Thompson said.

“Donna devoted much of her life to thoroughbred racing and was a loved and valued member of the racing community. Her sad passing will be felt by many within the industry."

Bendigo Jockey Club chief executive Aaron Hearps said a WorkSafe investigation had commenced into the incident.

“This was a tragic accident and one that has deeply saddened all at the Bendigo Jockey Club and our local racing community," Mr Hearps said.

"WorkSafe have commenced an investigation into the incident and the Club will afford them every support in doing so."

The BJC and RV are working together to support the family, local racing community and industry employees with counselling at this sad time.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 6:11pm
Tragic Cry Condolences to everyone touched by her passing Heart

Briga FliednerBendigo is a sad old town this afternoon. We are absolutely heartbroken at our loss of our beautiful friend Donna Philpot.
The dictionary doesn't have enough words to describe Donna but here is a few. Warm, welcoming, reliable, sensible, capable, selfless, the most wonderful wife and mother, incredible horsewoman and fabulous cook.
To Gus, Jess and Montana our deepest Sympathy.
RIP Donna you will be sadly, sadly missed 🙏
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 6:42pm
That is bloody awful, I just hope she didn't suffer.
Thoughts are with Gus and the girls and all involved with the Bendigo club.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 6:55pm
Even worse Angry

To those clubs who run 'jumpouts' where Ambulances ridiculously are not required, I hope you watch this. Clubs rave about what they make out of 'jumpouts' which differ from 'trials' in several ways, namely no Ambulance and therefore a saving of $700 odd. Clubs have even skimped on barrier attendants in the past. Some small volunteer clubs are under pressure by trainers and some industry personnel to run jumpouts and it is sold to them as a profitable venture.

Well this morning a mother of two died in a jumpout at Bendigo. There was NO Ambulance present. In a more remote location, the Ambulance wait would have been much longer. Who was checking the gear - vests, boots, skull cap to see it was all within date? Think about it Racing Victoria. Obviously horses need to be educated via jumpouts and RV should be ensuring Ambulance presence and paying for it. Not the clubs.

I have been vocal about this for a long time in meetings to no avail. I am not in the position to say whether an Ambulance on course would have saved this lady or not but why take a chance? I'm sure Ambulance attendance will now be compulsory but it is too late for this lady. RIP.

skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 7:02pm
What the? I assumed it would have to be mandatory to have an ambulance on course?
Minutes and seconds can be everything in accidents
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 7:09pm
RIP Donna. A sad accident that rocks a close knit racing community. Horrible day.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:35pm
Gee how sad. Rest in peace and condolences to her family. Incredibly sad and tragic.
Sunline...simply supreme
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:47pm
My deepest sympathy to Gus Philpot, and daughters Jessie and Montana and her partner Zach on the tragic loss of wife, mother and friend Donna Philpot. A tragedy for all.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 9:21pm
Gee, I remember Gus Philpot .     Very tragic for all the family and wider community.
Thoughts and sympathy with all of them at this terrible time.  
animals before people.
Dillwar View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dillwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 9:33pm
Very sad. Condolences to family and friends.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 9:36pm
Sad news and horrified to hear about the ambulance situation.

Gus rode Fine Cotton from memory
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 7:21am
Well that's all in the past. As for the Ambulance situation it doesn't sound good and there's work to be done there and in a couple of areas actually as has been pointed out. Just sad it took this accident to bring it to notice again. 

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 10:35am
My condolences to the family, a tragic loss that's becoming too frequent RIP.
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 7:52pm
This is so terribly sad for her husband and 2 daughters and the whole racing community in Bendigo.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:27am
Majella Mary Ballantine The attraction to racing clubs in running jumpouts is that Ambulance presence is not compulsory. Im not sure what the risk difference is between trials and jumpouts Fran Houlahan. In fact I would think that jumpouts - with the provision that trackriders of varying levels of capabilities are allowed to ride - would be of a higher risk. My belief is that it is in RV's best interest and it is their expectation of trainers that horses turn up to the races educated. Therefore RV should be paying for Ambulance and barrier attendants. It should not be left to the discretion of the club, many of whom concentrate on the bottom line and forgo Ambulance presence. Not only does this create a high risk environment, but exposes the club to possible liability. Surely with a $15 million profit, RV could do that much.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:32am
G Philpot's brother got badly smashed up in a fall, as a jockey. Dangerous business.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:49am
If the barriers were on track ( and that's a gimme ) imo it's all part of trackwork and a medical team should be in attendance until the track is CLOSED for the morning!
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

<span ="">Majella Mary Ballantine</span> <span><span> <span -ft=""tn":"K""><span ="UFIComment _1n4g"><span><span>The
attraction to racing clubs in running jumpouts is that Ambulance
presence is not compulsory. Im not sure what the risk difference is
between trials and jumpouts </span>Fran Houlahan<span>. In fact I would think that jumpouts - with the provision that trackrider</span></span><span><span><span>s
of varying levels of capabilities are allowed to ride - would be of a
higher risk. My belief is that it is in RV's best interest and it is
their expectation of trainers that horses turn up to the races educated.
Therefore RV should be paying for Ambulance and barrier attendants. It
should not be left to the discretion of the club, many of whom
concentrate on the bottom line and forgo Ambulance presence. Not only
does this create a high risk environment, but exposes the club to
possible liability. Surely with a $15 million profit, RV could do that
much.</span></span></span></span></span></span></span>

She's absolutely right. They should always have an ambulance crew on scene for these jumpouts. Clubs like Bendigo never hold official trials so these unofficial ones are ran like usual trials, there is no difference. There have been several falls in the recent Bendigo trials, and I've been saying for a while they need a crew there. Expecting the poor trackmen to double as first aiders and find themselves working on a critically injured friend is tragic and I hope they are given extensive counselling and care by RVL.
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:46pm
I'm really surprised by this- I would think it was mandatory to have barrier assistance and ambulance available.. Is it a formality (ie. They don't consider it 'official' jumpouts so don't supply them?) or does it cost a lot to have them on site? Not that cost should be an excuse as said by others
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 1:00pm
$700 is all.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:43pm
$700 for what? An hour? For a medic, or a real ambulance?

As pragmatic & emotionless as it sounds, the decision process would likely ask; Are privatised medics capable of treating someone that has been crushed or trampled by 700kg+ of force, or are you paying them to hold hands & pray whilst the real treatment arrives? If so, can we train the people on course to perform that role?

How many ambulances capable of treating that level of trauma do we think there are in the state, let alone regional centres? If the state funded emergency provider was giving preferential treatment to sporting clubs, I would hope that they'd do it for more than $700.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>