Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Ben & Mark Currie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 11:49am
It's only a rort if your not in on it
EAD
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

It's only a rort if your not in on it

Would have to be my least favourite saying if all time - it’s a friggin rort no matter which way you look at it
to the victor
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Originally posted by Batman Batman wrote:

It amazes me that owners would continue supporting these people. Any honest person would be wanting to distance them self from this debacle. Unless of course, you place winning prize money as your only motivation. I think it is a disgraceful situation. 😡😡😡😡😡

Some owners just follow the gear, if not provide it. That’s why occasionally, instead of just banning trainers, they should look into banning horses.

That’s already started with some like steroids hasn’t it? Agree though. Start with a 3 month ban on a horse similar to bleeders.
In general the notion that there should be a blanket ban on horses because of the actions of individuals is a load of shyte. If owners are knowingly involved in shonky practices then provide the evidence, convict and ban them and withhold their share of any prizemoney it earns in their absence. 

Spot on 3bm. Especially these days where syndicates are involved

What is the current disincentive to owners to use cheating trainers?
to the victor
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:13pm

Non really.  Its just a matter of conscience.  Thats why I suggested a 3 month ban, which basically equates to spelling a horse.  If a horse returns a positive then it cannot race again this prep.

Problem is when a case is appealed.  This is particularly an issue in QLD in the current set up where appeals are directly referred to QCAT.  The wait list means they take at least 6 months to be heard.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

Non really.  Its just a matter of conscience.  Thats why I suggested a 3 month ban, which basically equates to spelling a horse.  If a horse returns a positive then it cannot race again this prep.

Problem is when a case is appealed.  This is particularly an issue in QLD in the current set up where appeals are directly referred to QCAT.  The wait list means they take at least 6 months to be heard.

Maybe a sliding scale of bans depending on substance - culminating in long bans for blood doping. And maybe racing authorities all need to have a proper appeal system in place. Cheating needs to be eradicated, racing taken into the 21st century and what is happening here is cheating encouragement. Unfair to connections of cheating horses? Doing nothing is unfair to everyone else.
to the victor
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:11pm

Trainer Ben Currie buoyed by integrity meeting

Queensland’s leading trainer Ben Currie felt a momentum shift for the better yesterday when he received encouraging news on a couple of fronts.

Currie appeared at the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission yesterday and left feeling upbeat about the ongoing investigation into alleged race day treatment at one of his stabling complexes during the past month. “I had a meeting with them today which I thought was very positive. Hopefully we’ll have it all cleared up,” Currie said. “I’ve been saying the whole way through that I haven’t done anything wrong and that’s what will come out I guess. Obviously it’s ongoing so it’s tricky to know what to say.”

Currie’s father Mark has had his trainer’s licence suspended while he faces 12 charges of race day treatment of horses on April 7 and four of improper practice. Two stable hands employed by Ben Currie were stood down on April 13 as the QRIC delved deeper into possible breaches of the rules of racing.

Questions were also asked of Currie by stewards about the improved performance of With A Promise, shock winner of the Tails Stakes at Doomben. Backed from $61 into $19, With A Promise produced a dramatic form reversal, having beaten one runner home in two starts leading into the race.

“She was third-up from a spell, stepped up to a mile (1600m) and was suited by a heavy track,” Currie explained. “I would have told the stewards on the day but I had to get the other horse into a truck and get it home.”

The other horse was Amanaat, who incurred ghastly injuries by smashing his head against the metal partition between his and an adjoining barrier stall while wrestling a barrier attendant on Saturday.

“The damage was slightly better than first thought. He has fractured his jaw but it will not require wiring,” Currie said.

“He lost several teeth and received cuts and bruising. He needed some antibiotics and something for the pain and we’ll keep him at the stables and look after him for the next few weeks.”

Currie said the difficulty may centre on getting the talented sprinter to eat initially.

Originally with David Hayes and Tom Dabernig in 2016 and a winner on debut at Pakenham for the training partnership, Amanaat has won a further seven races from nine starts for Currie.

Currie hopes he can get Amanaat back racing toward the end of winter.

reductio ad absurdum
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 2:24pm
“I had a meeting with them today which I thought was very positive."
An unfortunate choice of words.   
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:22pm

"Mark Currie appeared today at the QRIC Brisbane headquarters to answer to 12 charges under AR 178E relating to the administration of a medication to a horse on race day without the permission of the stewards and four charges under AR 175 (a) relating to improper practice," Barnett said.

Currie is the fourth person connected to the Ben Currie stable to be banned in the past few weeks.

Greg Britnell was last week suspended for 18 months and in doing so became the third stablehand to be suspended since Currie's Toowoomba stables were the subject of suspicious activity on Weetwood Day on 7 April.

Cameron Schwenke was suspended for three months on 11 May after being found guilty of assisting in the administration of a substance to seven race horses on Weetwood Day and Silde Canda was found guilty of providing false evidence during the investigation and suspended for three months on 15 May.

This is like a video game. Have to defeat all the underbosses first.

linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:58pm
The handling of this matter thus far beggars belief.
to the victor
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:03pm
You are right TJ!

You would think that if are employed in his stable, you are a chance of being thrown under the bus the next time something takes place, and he has no more relatives to ask to step up.

His local, must have some tall stories to tell!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:03pm
Stewards have to make sure they get it right these days, It is not as simple as it was in the old days when Stewards would see something that looked fishy and the protagonists would be out for a year or two, They have to cross their i's and dote their T's first.

That seems to be the case here. When they finalise it I suspect it will be big.

reductio ad absurdum
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:35pm
The long term inuendo has been about the performance of Ben Currie's horses has it not? 

Presumably all the horses involved in the recent suspensions were not his otherwise RQ has some questions to answer.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:20am
Absolutely 3bm, he's the licence holder and yet everyone around him is going down? something not right here, however, the stewards did say more to come.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:36pm
Ben Currie to front QRIC Inquiry
Toowoomba thoroughbred trainer Ben Currie has been issued a direction to appear at a reconvened Queensland Racing Integrity Commission (QRIC) Stewards Inquiry on Monday 28 May, as part of the ongoing investigation into race day treatment at his Hursley Rd Toowoomba stables.
ENDS.
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:41pm
Probably no one left to take the blame now. Smart move QRIC
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:22pm
Their defence rests on the interpretation of AR178AA so nothing to do with anyone or anything to "blame".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

Their defence rests on the interpretation of AR178AA so nothing to do with anyone or anything to "blame".

Settle down BK. It was a pisstake at the fact 4 people from the stable have been banned in the past few weeks
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 9:21am

I have no doubt their legal team may find a loophole to allow Ben to walk free. But is that right? All owners continually supporting the stable, must either believe he is a genius, or they do not care by what methods they achieve success. Personally, I prefer a trainer that always abides by the rules and tries to win by being a good horseperson. I will never condone cheating, and find these recent cases all leaving a very bad impression of this industry. Good lawyers might get them off, but hopefully honest owners will leave the stables to let them know it’s unacceptable.
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:54am
Some owners are prepared to let the legal process take its course without pre-supposing an outcome Batman. In any case my filly with the stable broke her leg at trackwork a few weeks ago which I suppose the likes of you would consider to be karma for my "support of the stable".
Underground View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:01am
playing the victim lol. suave 
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:06am

Some owners are prepared to let the legal process take its course without pre-supposing an outcome Batman. In any case my filly with the stable broke her leg at trackwork a few weeks ago which I suppose the likes of you would consider to be karma for my "support of the stable".

It’s not Karma, it’s what overuse of PEDs does - puts too much stress on their bodies.
to the victor
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:28am
Gee Black Night no one with any heart or goodwill would wish that upon you, to loose your filly, it's the ultimate kick in the guts, I feel for you as I do any owner/breeder/strapper/trainer so I'm prepared to wait, as you say......Liam Birchley, same same...let's wait......
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:27pm

No, I do not wish harm on any horses, no matter who the trainer is. Trying the sympathy card is pretty odd behaviour for you though. The enquiry will take place followed by the legal process of appeals if required. But if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it might just be a duck. 🤓🤓🤓
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:38pm
He trains a lot of winners but what is the highest grade he has won ?

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:11pm
2 x Gr3, 10 x Listed
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 6:09am
Wow. Toowoomba is really getting a shake up. Could be a positive thing

Toowoomba track workers stood down after positive drug tests
Queensland Racing Integrity Commission (QRIC) stewards have today stood down three track workers after testing positive to illicit drugs during no notice testing at Toowoomba.
The track riders tested positive to methyl amphetamine, cocaine and cannabis and have been stood down pending the return of secondary testing.
QRIC Commissioner Ross Barnett said the Commission had adopted an anywhere anytime approach to drug testing of racing participants.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 6:29pm
No updates from within the Currie camp? 😳😳
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 9:00pm
It's hit the fan well and try now........
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 9:00pm

Press Release from @QRICStewards

monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 9:00pm
Happy, happy days. Don’t let the door hit you on your ass on the way out you drug cheat!!!!
https://www.punters.com.au/news/ben-currie-facing-31-charges-_169235/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>