Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australian Open Tennis 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Injury breaks are the bane of tennis. Of course they are going to be used tactically. Get rid of them.

Clap

was a rort last night...don't anyone try to say that break didn't turn the match...he has to have had a needle...

How do you figure it turned the match? Nadal broke Federer's serve the very next game.
Nadal had all the momentum even after the timeout. Couldn't finish the job.
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:22pm
Well I must say I'm astounded by saying its a rort to have a medical break if it's legit , it's in the rules so it's above board IMO, whatever treatment he got only let him play with the ability he had on the night, footballers do it,
cricketers do it , boxers cortisone their knuckles, and some go to work with a touch of ritilen in em.lol.
( spelling with Ritalin may be off)
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:28pm
Rafa pointedly declined to buy into the "argument". 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Injury breaks are the bane of tennis. Of course they are going to be used tactically. Get rid of them.

Clap

was a rort last night...don't anyone try to say that break didn't turn the match...he has to have had a needle...

How do you figure it turned the match? Nadal broke Federer's serve the very next game.

it takes ten to twenty minutes for the needle to take effect...Nadal was superior during that time...then it kicked in and so did Fed's extra energy...

I'm with Cash on the treatment dispute...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Rafa pointedly declined to buy into the "argument". 

what else would you expect...

but if one can get assistance at a vital stage, while the other doesn't, it's skewed...

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Well I must say I'm astounded by saying its a rort to have a medical break if it's legit , it's in the rules so it's above board IMO, whatever treatment he got only let him play with the ability he had on the night, footballers do it,
cricketers do it , boxers cortisone their knuckles, and some go to work with a touch of ritilen in em.lol.
( spelling with Ritalin may be off)

oh come on...the "treatment"...off camera...was the difference...

shouldn't be allowed more than a quick rub...

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:44pm
How do you know if Raffa didn't have treatment BEFORE the game, he's had a niggling wrist injury recently.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:50pm

Clap

it takes ten to twenty minutes for the needle to take effect...Nadal was superior during that time...then it kicked in and so did Fed's extra energy...

Nadal was hardly solid on serve throughout the match and basically nothing changed in the 5th other than after 3hrs+ he was no longer able to scramble to save break points as well. Federer won 5 games in a row to win the match. A bit of straw clutching to say tha a needle kicking in was the reason when the players are so evenly matched at their best anyway.

Nadal just faulterred a touch at the end of a tough match and that's all it takes when two all time greats are going at it.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:00pm

Clap

when I heard Federerer post game last night it really got my attention when he referred to it  He said during the injury time he had a massage and it loosened up his legs, no reference to an injury. Sounded dodgy then, still seems dodgy
Winner of the TBV Champion Tipster Award
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:03pm
For crying out loud. He did nothing wrong. He received treatment during a legal medical time out. Where were the complaints when Nishikori and Wawrinka had legal medical time outs against Federer.

Sour grapes from those in Nadal's corner.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:12pm
Not at all I wanted Federer to win but people are allowed to speculate.

didn't see Stan but watching Nishikori it was pretty obvious that it was a genuine back injury
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:20pm
I don't generally watch the game, because it doesn't interest me watching sooks throwing racquets and screaming aimlessly, and blaming everyone else when it goes badly.

I do however like sporting "events", like Wimbledon, or a major final, so I was disappointed to miss what sounds like a classic!

I did see the after game interviews, which were outstanding in their own right!

I just wish our leading players possessed the character and manners of these two true champions! 

I'd be inclined to watch them play, and wouldn't mind if they never won an event ... wouldn't waste my time at present, they are just embarrassingDead
Col. Jessep: You want answers? Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to. Col. Jessep: You want answers? Kaffee: I want the truth! Col. Jessep: You can't handle the truth!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:45pm
Your post made me lose a little respect of you doc, these two champs have been on the circuit for 15 yrs, they are well known for their admiral way they behave and their flair for great tennis, but you have watched a couple of disrespected imbeciles and they have warped your judgment , mores the pity doc you missed a great game!
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

didn't see Stan but watching Nishikori it was pretty obvious that it was a genuine back injury

Federer had a genuine groin injury. There is no doubting that. Nishikori had treatment in the rooms and then later courtside, no different to Federer.

I don’t understand the problem people have with it.

Nadal actually bends the rules at times and nobody seems ro care.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:10pm

Your post made me lose a little respect of you doc, these two champs have been on the circuit for 15 yrs, they are well known for their admiral way they behave and their flair for great tennis, but you have watched a couple of disrespected imbeciles and they have warped your judgment , mores the pity doc you missed a great game!

My opening remark was a bit harsh doc, should have said disappointed, apologies
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 10:55pm

I'm shattered!LOL

Don't get me wrong, I've just never really been a massive tennis fan, but being a sports fan, you watch whatever is on when you can, particularly if it's a big game or match, it becomes more of an "event", like say the Olympics where we are all fans of sports and athletic disciplines we have not watched or spoken of for 4 years!!! ... Used to always watch the Aussies in majors, Davis Cup, etc, but our current crop of dick heads have just narrowed my interest.

I acknowledge Federer as one of the best ever, and would be my all time favourite player, alongside Ken Rosewall, who is one of the greatest gentleman of our sporting history.

Normally last night's game would have been the type of game I would have buckled in for, but just had other things pressing ... my loss.
Col. Jessep: You want answers? Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to. Col. Jessep: You want answers? Kaffee: I want the truth! Col. Jessep: You can't handle the truth!
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 7:02am
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

Federer had a genuine groin injury. There is no doubting that. Nishikori had treatment in the rooms and then later courtside, no different to Federer.

come on, Sainters...you are known to be a huge Fed fan...take emotions out of the equation and see what actually happened...

Fed was looking really shaggy at the end of the 4th...then he disappears, comes back and still looks stiff for two games...then miraculously he looks fresher and reels off 5 games to win...conclusion:

big needle...

Carioca...attention before the match is not the same as during, especially after four draining sets...Fed's "attention" changed the course of the game...and ruined a classic encounter...

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 7:05am

you keep spouting this as part of your defense of your idol, Federer...

what rules has he bent?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 7:49am
The match turned many times throughout. Fed was on top in the 1st and then all of a sudden gets broken twice in the 2nd. Next minute he gets one break back and after losing the 2nd proceeds to dominate the 3rd winning it 6-1. Then out of nowhere Nadal turns it around and wins the 4th. MASSIVE presumption that the turnaround in the 5th was due to the injury timeout rather than simply another fluctuation that had already occurred multiple times throughout.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 7:50am

what rules has he bent?

Supposed to be 30 seconds in between points. Nadal regularly takes much longer and is rarely penalised.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 7:55am

The match turned many times throughout. Fed was on top in the 1st and then all of a sudden gets broken twice in the 2nd. Next minute he gets one break back and after losing the 2nd proceeds to dominate the 3rd winning it 6-1. Then out of nowhere Nadal turns it around and wins the 4th. MASSIVE presumption that the turnaround in the 5th was due to the injury timeout rather than simply another fluctuation that had already occurred multiple times throughout.

you will excuse me if I just laugh...LOLLOLLOL

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 7:57am

what rules has he bent?

Supposed to be 30 seconds in between points. Nadal regularly takes much longer and is rarely penalised.

even more laughable...next you will say he bounces the ball longer...

puleeease !!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 7:58am

I'd love to laugh too. How about you help me by explaining why you think the swing in the match part way through the 5th was any different to the 3 or 4 others during the game? That will have me in stitches I'm sure.

Only conclusion I can draw is you only turned on your TV at the end of the 4th.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 7:59am

what rules has he bent?

puleeease !!

Stop embarrassing yourself jujuno. You clearly have little idea of the game. It's clear where your opinions on the subject can be discarded.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:03am

I'd love to laugh too. How about you help me by explaining why you think the swing in the match part way through the 5th was any different to the 3 or 4 others during the game? That will have me in stitches I'm sure.

I was glued to it all through the four hours...it was very noticeable how a ragged Fed began to look almost fresh in the fifth while Nadal still looked ratty...wonder why?

you will never convince me otherwise...let us leave it here...

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:05am

what rules has he bent?

puleeease !!

Stop embarrassing yourself jujuno. You clearly have little idea of the game. It's clear where your opinions on the subject can be discarded.

I can guarantee I know more about tennis than anyone on here...I used to cover it...

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:08am

I was glued to it all through the four hours...it was very noticeable how a ragged Fed began to look almost fresh in the fifth while Nadal still looked ratty...wonder why?

you will never convince me otherwise...let us leave it here...

Sure you were.

Didn't think you'd be able to explain the difference. Oh well.

Looking forward to hearing your tennis opinions when you get around to watching another match in 11 months time.    
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:09am

what rules has he bent?

puleeease !!

I can guarantee I know more about tennis than anyone on here...I used to cover it...

And yet you didn't even know about the 30 seconds between points rule.

I can guarantee you don't know more about it by feel free to keep deluding yourself.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:13am
well I was a tennis pro, I know a little about it
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:23am

And yet you didn't even know about the 30 seconds between points rule.  

I can guarantee you don't know more about it by feel free to keep deluding yourself. 

stop adding laugh emoticons as though you're joking...you may pretend you are but are even more vehement than I...

I asked where Nadal broke the rules...you answered...I asked if he also bounced the ball too many times...where oh where in any of that was there an indication of not knowing the rules...

but of course, you're joking...LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic