Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australian Open Tennis 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

My first bet of the week........always bet against Stosur!!

God bless her.

Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

God bless her.

What price the winner subby?
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:34pm
Watson $2.00 Stosur $1.80 pre-game
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 9:21pm
Hi, I need a cab at Rod Laver Arena....going to the airport.

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

God bless her.

What price the winner subby?

Only $2
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Kyrgios hasn't got the temperament to win a grand slam- he's a flake.

FLAKE.

Did you hear the 7 commentators? "He's only young. Plenty of other players were like this ... blah blah blah blah."

No they weren't. Get a grip. Nobody else turns it up cold like Kyrgios. Someone should be kicking his arse, not making excuses for him.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:27am

Australian Open: Nick Kyrgios says it is time for him to get a coach after loss to Andreas Seppi

Updated 29 minutes ag

Nick Kyrgios' "disappointing" Australian Open loss to Andreas Seppi could be the final straw that leads the Aussie firebrand to hire a coach.

In a frank press conference on Wednesday night, Kyrgios said he battled injury and struggled with the mental side of his game in the five-set loss to Seppi.

The knee injury, according to the 14th seed, is at least partly due to a half-hearted preparation that included too much basketball.

While taking responsibility for his "poor management" in the off-season and admitting he hoped not to make the same mistakes again, the 21-year-old said a coach would help him focus.

"That's one area where I need to start taking a bit more seriously," he told reporters on Wednesday night.

"I don't think there's anyone in the top 100 without a coach apart from me, so that needs to change."

He would not bite when asked who he would like to have in his box, but admitted he was still seeing a psychologist as part of his ATP sanctions for tanking at last year's Shanghai Masters.

Kyrgios getting in his own way

The critical media conference was reminiscent of one he gave after a fourth-round loss to Andy Murray at Wimbledon last year.

On that day he reiterated he did not "love" tennis but did not know what to do without it.

It is clear he is still struggling with focus and consistency, admitting he gets in his own way.

"That's how it's been my whole career really," he said.

"I put my head down and want it, but things happen.

"It's just me not being able to be consistent, not really wanting it."

Despite winning three ATP titles in 2016, Kyrgios' behaviour has cost him fans and tens of thousands of dollars.

He faced jeers from the Australian crowd after the match, which he said was tough to hear, but was contemplative about the loss.

"I'm disappointed but I'm OK. I'm alright," he said.

"The world keeps spinning. I lost one match."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-19/nick-kyrgios-admits-its-time-for-a-coach-after-open-loss/8192646?section=sport

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:41am
I know how to get Kyrgios to focus on tennis. Give all the money you have in the bank now to charity, then spend one year doing the job you would have if you didn't have tennis.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:45am

I know how to get Kyrgios to focus on tennis. Give all the money you have in the bank now to charity, then spend one year doing the job you would have if you didn't have tennis.

And that job isn't playing in the NBA eitherLOL. It's more likely to be driving a taxi.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 7:32am
E + E I am sorry if you backed him but how good was that ? It made my week seeing the spoilt, entitled bogan lose it from 2 sets up Clap
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

E + E I am sorry if you backed him but how good was that ? It made my week seeing the spoilt, entitled bogan lose it from 2 sets up Clap

No need to be sorry Whale. Yes I was on him. Had seen enough after his embarrassing display in the 4th set and traded out for a loss. After I was out I was cheering for him to lose too!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:56am
Pretty well documented the Kyrgios match last night. Absolutely cruising before the wheels fell off. Looked to not even be trying in the 4th set which is disappointing. The rest of the big names continue to fire though and that’s been good for punting. Pretty much been a flawless 3 days with Kyrgios the only hiccup. Up significantly so far and hope to build further as we go. Probably back Konta in the women’s (against my better judgement) first up before moving on to whatever options come up as we go through the day.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:00pm
Anyone back Djokovic @1.01 today? How's the heart? Down a break in the 5th.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:07pm
who would back a tennis player at $1.01 , $10,000 to win $100 Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:09pm

Plenty still do. There is tremendous money bet on tennis matches and it's not significantly stifled by extremely short priced favorites.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:13pm
kyrios pulled out of the doubles - sore stomach! has to be the biggest sook in australian sport.

marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:17pm

Plenty still do. There is tremendous money bet on tennis matches and it's not significantly stifled by extremely short priced favorites.

not a bad earner for dodgy players if they just happen to drop a set
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 7:43am

I was warming to a once in a blue moon tennis bet because I think Williams and Kerber are good risks. So I pick out Pliskova. Only problem with her I discover after a few more minutes checking is she is 0-7 against Radwanska who she is drawn to meet in quarter final. Hmm Confused

No-name takes Radwanska out but Pliskova is a third the price now.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:33am
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:37am
The other side , who is right ?

WHILE calling an Australian Open tennis match ESPN’s Doug Adler described Venus Williams’s strength and aggression by saying, “You see Venus move in and put the gorilla effect on. Charging.”

Cue twitter explosion and global meltdown.

“Appalling stuff” said New York Times Tennis Reporter Ben Rothenberg, tweeting that it’s “Horrifying that the Williams sisters remained subjected to it still in 2017.”

I totally understand and can see why people are outraged, but before you call the lynch mob let’s think about Doug Adler’s intentions.

Do you truly believe he compared Williams to an animal to make a comment about colour?

No? Then put the pitchfork down and walk away.

Do you believe Doug Adler was saying that one of the strongest players is really strong, and gave it context by mentioning something else with great strength?

Yeah? Then there’s no real problem here so put the pitchfork down and walk away.

“But the comparison of humans to animals is disparaging and an embarrassment to humanity”

When someone is told they’ve got the “heart of a lion” or they’re as “strong as an ox” it seems to be fine right? With my flabby arms and generous gut I’d be honoured to be compared to something strong and assertive rather continually being told my “hips are too honest” by people on Instagram.

Venus Williams one of the strongest and most talented athletes in the world and all Adler was trying to do was compliment her on it.

"She puts the Gorilla effect on. Charging". Just wtf. This is not cool @ESPNTennis @espn pic.twitter.com/L46Bwf6sEh

— Shanna 🍍 (@PinaCocoblog) January 18, 2017

Assuming what someone is thinking, then throwing a tantrum because they’re thinking it — that’s a sign of someone desperately searching for a way to be outraged. And that’s sad.

But people who want to get offended by something are just that, wanting to be offended and today they’ve found a reason. The most outrageous thing to me here is society’s willingness to be outraged.

I’ve got no doubt Adler wishes he said something else. He’s probably already thought of hundreds of other things he could have said but as American author and keynote speaker Tim Fargo says “some people take offence like it’s a limited time offer” and he’s going to cop some heat for a few days.

But it’s not.

So while you’re busy taking note of colour and working out what to be offended about tomorrow,

just know that Doug Adler was just watching and calling a tennis match between two incredible athletes.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 10:27am
Oh crikey, what a blooper, poor guy Embarrassed that's the trouble with live commentary!!
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 10:33am
Jack Sock to upset Songa and Berdych to beat Fed today.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 10:34am
Tsonga!
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 11:19am
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

kyrios pulled out of the doubles - sore stomach! has to be the biggest sook in australian sport.

I hope we never have to depend on him in Davis Cup...

gutless waste of newspaper space, no gonads...Angry

would love all his sponsors to pull the plug...might bring him down to earth...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

I hope we never have to depend on him in Davis Cup...

gutless waste of newspaper space, no gonads...Angry

would love all his sponsors to pull the plug...might bring him down to earth...

Are you aware how the world works? He is the most watched and talked about player at the Open. TV, papers and sponsors love him.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 1:30pm
what has that got to do with anything Sub,  Trump is the most watched person in the world, do you love him ?

and I doubt that sponsors love him, there is a mark and he has overstepped it

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:11pm
Krygios sells papers and he gets the ratings. People love him, or love to hate him. Either way, both groups tune in to watch him. Sponsors dream.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:17pm

I've been busy all morning so haven't bet anything yet but didn't mind Sock. Has been in great form so far this year. I know he's down a set now but wouldn't surprise to see it still go the distance.

Federer dominates the H2H with Berdych so not sure. Both are on the downward too IMO. I'm inclined to trade this smoke from the outset. Back Federer just as he begins his 1st service game and trade out at the end of the game. Rinse and repeat until it gets to a tiebreak (although I may stop at 4-4).
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:18pm
Smoke = match and I need a new auto-correct
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:52pm

I've been busy all morning so haven't bet anything yet but didn't mind Sock. Has been in great form so far this year. I know he's down a set now but wouldn't surprise to see it still go the distance.

Federer dominates the H2H with Berdych so not sure. Both are on the downward too IMO. I'm inclined to trade this smoke from the outset. Back Federer just as he begins his 1st service game and trade out at the end of the game. Rinse and repeat until it gets to a tiebreak (although I may stop at 4-4).

Much better Federer tonight. Shame he broke so early though, means the trading fun is over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic