Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australian Open Tennis 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 6:07pm
but his temperament may improve, I wouldn't write him off though I would love to
FORMER winner of the TBV Champion Tipster Award
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Might be  motivational by Rocket Rodney

we could only wish...to speak of them in the same breath is almost sacrilegious...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 8:12am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Warwrinka struggling here. Very likely to trade out for a small loss. Most likely if it gets to 6-6 OR immediately he is broken. If he starts going better that could change.

Game still going at 1 set all.

This was a 1.6 unit loss. Traded out when he was broken to go down 5-4 in the 1st. In hindsight this was a bad trade and a little annoyed with myself for making it. Will explain why another time as I'm out of action for likely the rest of the day.

Result for the week on these selections was +1.1 units.
Did have a few other bets over the weekend but won't count in the talley. Traded the Warwrinka/Nishikori match back and forth in the 1st set for a good profit. Did he same with the Brisbane final last night but only until Dinitrov broke in the 5th game. Another good profit.

Will take Haase to win 1 unit in Auckland this morning. 2nd up should start around noon AEDT.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Kyrgios hasn't got the temperament to win a grand slam- he's a flake.

You told us that Djokovic was "dominating" Federer overall when the H2H was all square so pretty sure you don't have much of an idea about tennis. Has already won 3 tournaments last year beating impressive fields in each. No reason why he couldn't win a grand slam.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:46am
Tough match but Haase wins in straight sets in the end. +2.1 units
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 12:14pm
Not really a tip as it's just for a bit of action over the next hour or so but have backed Schwartzman in Auckland to win 1 unit. Will include in the tally anyway.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 1:07pm

Not really a tip as it's just for a bit of action over the next hour or so but have backed Schwartzman in Auckland to win 1 unit. Will include in the tally anyway.

Good start. Lost his way and the set though. Out for -0.8.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:05am
Don't mind Ryan Harrison this morning in Auckland. To win 1.5units.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:35am

You told us that Djokovic was "dominating" Federer overall when the H2H was all square so pretty sure you don't have much of an idea about tennis. Has already won 3 tournaments last year beating impressive fields in each. No reason why he couldn't win a grand slam.

Refresh my memory. Doesn't sound like me.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:49am

Don't mind Ryan Harrison this morning in Auckland. To win 1.5units.

Carve up. 6-1 6-2

Now +2.8 units
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:53am

Apologies, the word wasn't "dominated" it was "comprehensively owned". Probably worse.

http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/australian-open-tennis-2016_topic56473_post1305330.html?KW=Federer#1305330

It must be a little troubling for those who continue to believe that Federer is the GOAT that there have been not one but two players in his own time who comprehensively owned him. Greatest of all time but not greatest of his own time. Perhaps not.LOL

Federer was greatest of Hewitt/Roddick/Safin time. He is clearly not greatest of Nadal/Djokovic time.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:03am
Made an ill-fated foray into the women's game yesterday. Quickly reminded me why I had banned it.

Aus open qualifying starts today. Unsure if I'll take anything here yet.

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:10am
I am always wary of players seeded in Grand Slam tournaments in the tournament  immediaty before it. If you are expecting or hoping to go into a second week in the major tournament, do you really want to be playing on the second half of the week directly beforehand, or going through your recovery and prep. A 70% effort in these tournaments is better than net sessions as long as you dont gas yourself. No surprise to see seeds under-performing in Sydney
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:18am

Apologies, the word wasn't "dominated" it was "comprehensively owned". Probably worse.

http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/australian-open-tennis-2016_topic56473_post1305330.html?KW=Federer#1305330

It must be a little troubling for those who continue to believe that Federer is the GOAT that there have been not one but two players in his own time who comprehensively owned him. Greatest of all time but not greatest of his own time. Perhaps not.LOL

Federer was greatest of Hewitt/Roddick/Safin time. He is clearly not greatest of Nadal/Djokovic time.

100% correct Tiazoleotl.Thumbs Up How many grand slams has GOAT Federer won since Nadal and Djokovic were out of nappies on the tennis court?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

I am always wary of players seeded in Grand Slam tournaments in the tournament  immediaty before it. If you are expecting or hoping to go into a second week in the major tournament, do you really want to be playing on the second half of the week directly beforehand, or going through your recovery and prep. A 70% effort in these tournaments is better than net sessions as long as you dont gas yourself. No surprise to see seeds under-performing in Sydney

Like betting on barrier trials.LOL
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:19am
Some pretty diverse and interestimg music at the Oz Open. Just pay $30 after 5 ground pass and you get to see the bands. I will go and see Jimmy Eat World and if anyone is going to see Living End, make sure you catch The Bennies first. Not sure organizers know what they have got themselves into. Every song is basically a love song to smoking weed, with a lot of swearing. They are a superb live band. Will be extremely entertaining to see.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:27am

100% correct Tiazoleotl.Thumbs Up How many grand slams has GOAT Federer won since Nadal and Djokovic were out of nappies on the tennis court?

Djokovic first entered the top 10 in early 2007. Federer has won 8 grand slams in that time.
Nadal first entered the top 10 in mid 2005. Federer has won 13 grand slams in that time.

Do you ever get tired of embarrassing yourself?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 2:59pm
This afternoon/evening:

Troicki to win 1 unit.
Thiem to win 1.5 units.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:21pm

This afternoon/evening:

Troicki to win 1 unit.
Thiem to win 1.5 units.

Troicki won.
Thiem lost 1st tie break. Out for -2.8ubits.

One step forward and two back!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 9:12am
Auckland: Bahgdadis to win 1.5units
Sydney: Thiem to win 1.5 units. Wasn't convincing by any stretch last night but will back up on him here.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 2:34pm

Sydney: Thiem to win 1.5 units. Wasn't convincing by any stretch last night but will back up on him here.

Easy win for Bahgdadis.

Will only back Thiem to win 1 unit on further though. Tough match late last night and may have fatigue issues.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 5:35pm

Easy win for Bahgdadis.

Will only back Thiem to win 1 unit on further though. Tough match late last night and may have fatigue issues.

Cruises 1st set. Down two breaks in the 2nd. Seen enough here. Probably still wins but I'm out for -0.1 units.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 7:07am
I was warming to a once in a blue moon tennis bet because I think Williams and Kerber are good risks. So I pick out Pliskova. Only problem with her I discover after a few more minutes checking is she is 0-7 against Radwanska who she is drawn to meet in quarter final. Hmm Confused
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 7:32am

I was warming to a once in a blue moon tennis bet because I think Williams and Kerber are good risks. So I pick out Pliskova. Only problem with her I discover after a few more minutes checking is she is 0-7 against Radwanska who she is drawn to meet in quarter final. Hmm Confused

was it E+E who said you have no idea about tennis LOL
FORMER winner of the TBV Champion Tipster Award
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 12:01pm
Press conference with Nadal yesterday:

Q: You're injury free?

N: Yes

Q: So you're pain free then?

N: Pain free was years ago LOL LOL

Plenty here can identify with that, I imagine Wink

Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 1:02pm
Heard that, doesn't often crack jokes, that was quick and humerous I thought.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 7:38am
Great day of action yesterday in more ways than one. Betting couldn’t have gone much better, basically rolled from game to game with the only bump in the road being Troicki falling in a heap after being 2 sets up (traded out for a small profit anyway though). Only got to watch the Federer game as I was working during the day but going on his performance and his draw its hard to see how he is going to get much further than early 2nd week. Could see him beating Berdych in the 3rd round but after that it gets incredibly tough for him and not sure his performance last night (or in perth) is good enough.

Plenty of action again today. A couple to watch today:
Dimitrov - first up on Margaret Court tonight. Great effort to win in Brisbane beating some good players including Nishikori in the final. Could be back to his best from a few years ago when he was top 10. Around 50-1 for the tournament and maybe worth a small nibble. If he continues in the same form as Brisbane he will be tough to beat for anyone anyway.
Alexander Zverev – first up on Hisense this morning. Young up and comer who has beaten Federer the last two times they played. Ranked top 25 currently after a breakout year in 2016 and a definite top 10 player of the future (quite possibly by the end of this year). Doubt he can win the tournament this year but a big watch on him.

A couple of the usual suspects in Nadal and Djokovic also on court and should win as expected. People talking up Verdasco as a tough opponent for Djokovic after he had match points against him in Qatar the other week but suspect that was just Djoker brushing off the dust. In any event 5 sets is a different story and I would be surprised to see him seriously troubled. Raonic another of the title contenders should Murray/Djoker slip up also on Margaret Court today.

Womens – who knows. Serena up this morning as well as Konta (Sydney champ) and Radwanska. All probably win but without my money. Made a brief entry to the women’s tournament yesterday for a small profit and probably won’t try my luck again. There’s a reason they have been banned!
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 9:20am
My first bet of the week........always bet against Stosur!!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 11:07am
Poor effort from Zverev after a lightning start. Still has a way to go in the grand slams it seems and will need a big turnaround from here. A timely trade out for me after the first set so a decent profit regardless but still expected much more from him.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

My first bet of the week........always bet against Stosur!!

God bless her.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic