Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australian Open Tennis 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I could tell Venus was in trouble from her first service game, where Muzuruga was having no problem returning. Court was slow which didn't help but wouldn't have changed the result. Went to bed after first set, when it was all over red rover.

Yep it was pretty clear that Muguruza was on top pretty much right from the start. Williams had a couple of break points but really apart from that she was under the pump. Second set was a wipe out so glad I didn't bother continuing to watch although it did only go for 25 or so min.
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

I could tell Venus was in trouble from her first service game, where Muzuruga was having no problem returning. Court was slow which didn't help but wouldn't have changed the result. Went to bed after first set, when it was all over red rover.

Yep it was pretty clear that Muguruza was on top pretty much right from the start. Williams had a couple of break points but really apart from that she was under the pump. Second set was a wipe out so glad I didn't bother continuing to watch although it did only go for 25 or so min.

Tonight will be a cracker. Want to see Fed add to his list of titles and he is deserved favourite but this should be a lot closer than the betting suggests. Could well go the distance.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 2:06am
Federer, what a champ. Just awesome.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 3:46pm

Tonight will be a cracker. Want to see Fed add to his list of titles and he is deserved favourite but this should be a lot closer than the betting suggests. Could well go the distance.

A bit of an anti-climax but a great result all the same. How does he still play like this at 35? Amazing!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 3:49pm
Rosewall made it at 40, admittedly got thrashed. Genetics have a lot to do with it no doubt and of course maintaining the desire
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Rosewall made it at 40, admittedly got thrashed. Genetics have a lot to do with it no doubt and of course maintaining the desire

Appears the runner up was gone in the fetlock.     Hard man Roger without injury .      No hope with some.
I'm practicing safe texts,
I'm using commas.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 1:54pm

couldn't care less what Tomic said, he is being honest. If he can continue to make good money with that attitude and minimal effort, good luck to him. But the goose shot himself in the foot, endorsements are where the real money is made, his will disappear faster than light

This is true. I read the other day a very good point - how many of us can say we put in 100% effort every time we go to work? Tennis is his job and when you think of it like that then you begin to understand why he might not be putting in a full effort every time.

That said, I don't condone his behaviour as really if you don't like your job then find another. Also, the reality is that his ranking is going to be 69 after Wimbledon based on current projections and with 180 points to defend in a few weeks time he could easily sink below 100. When this happens he'll find himself having to qualify for a lot of tournaments and the money won't be coming quite so easily.

Will be down to number 98 when the rankings click over in a few hours. Sinking closer and closer to having to go through qualifying for the grand slams and already at that point for the Masters 1000s.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:46pm

couldn't care less what Tomic said, he is being honest. If he can continue to make good money with that attitude and minimal effort, good luck to him. But the goose shot himself in the foot, endorsements are where the real money is made, his will disappear faster than light

This is true. I read the other day a very good point - how many of us can say we put in 100% effort every time we go to work? Tennis is his job and when you think of it like that then you begin to understand why he might not be putting in a full effort every time.

That said, I don't condone his behaviour as really if you don't like your job then find another. Also, the reality is that his ranking is going to be 69 after Wimbledon based on current projections and with 180 points to defend in a few weeks time he could easily sink below 100. When this happens he'll find himself having to qualify for a lot of tournaments and the money won't be coming quite so easily.

Will be down to number 98 when the rankings click over in a few hours. Sinking closer and closer to having to go through qualifying for the grand slams and already at that point for the Masters 1000s.

The Tomic slide continues. Will be down to 145 at best this time next week.

At the other end of the list will be a return to 10 years ago with Federer & Nadal at 1 & 2. The results of Cincinnati this week will determine who fills which spot.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 11:21am

The Tomic slide continues. Will be down to 145 at best this time next week.

At the other end of the list will be a return to 10 years ago with Federer & Nadal at 1 & 2. The results of Cincinnati this week will determine who fills which spot.

Federer withdraws with a back issue so Nadal will be number 1 next week now. Also allows Murray to hold on to number 2.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 11:25am
My exclusive tip Zverev had a good win over the old guy at Montreal.LOL A change is gonna come, one of these days, but I've been singing that song for years now.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 11:56am

My exclusive tip Zverev had a good win over the old guy at Montreal.LOL A change is gonna come, one of these days, but I've been singing that song for years now.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

With 6 of the top 10 out injured he will be a massive chance again this week in Cincinnati. Have dusted off a small bonus bet on him for the US Open.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 11:35am
Serena planning comeback at Australian Open. Women often produce their peak performance soon after childbirth so I won't rule out her chances of success on that score. Age is more of a problem but 35 is the new 20 in tennis now so I won't rule out her chance of success on that score either. Surely not ... maybe.Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:24pm
Kyrgios into his first Masters 1000 final tomorrow morning. Just best Ferrer a few moments ago after winning two matches (including Nadal) yesterday. Match against Dimitrov tomorrow will be worth watching.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:30pm

Kyrgios into his first Masters 1000 final tomorrow morning. Just best Ferrer a few moments ago after winning two matches (including Nadal) yesterday. Match against Dimitrov tomorrow will be worth watching.

Super win over Nadal- best of 3 suits his body better than Grand Slam tennis.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:32pm

<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Super win over Nadal- best of 3 suits his body better than Grand Slam tennis.

Agree he still needs to prove himself in the slams. Has made a couple of quarters but needs to show more. Let's see what he can do in New York in just over a weeks time. Shame I won't be there this year.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 10:33pm
Alexandr Dolgopolov surely punted for a long time after one of the most blatant pieces of match fixing ever seen the other day. Alarming betting move prior to the game and got rolled accordingly. Didn't see the game as I'm not betting this tournament but by all reports his play was just as alarming.

http://www.sportdw.com/2017/08/dolgopolov-winston-salem-suspicious.html?m=1

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 9:44am
The Russian men seem to be inclined to that sort of thing.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 10:42am
Remarkable US Open coming up. All the old top guns are either hobbling (Nadal especially see YouTube) or out. Can the youngins finally win something? If Federer is fit, however, and recovered from recent back problems, he should win easy.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 10:46am

Remarkable US Open coming up. All the old top guns are either hobbling (Nadal especially see YouTube) or out. Can the youngins finally win something? If Federer is fit, however, and recovered from recent back problems, he should win easy.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

It's a joke of a draw. Top half way tougher than bottom half. I've used bonus bets to back a few here (Fed, Dimitrov & Zverev) but really looks Federers for the taking. Nadal looks a massive lay at $4. When was the last time he did anything in NYC?

I'm ready for 2 weeks of 8pm sleeps and 1am wake ups. Won't be fun but hopefully we get a result.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 9:49am

Remarkable US Open coming up. All the old top guns are either hobbling (Nadal especially see YouTube) or out. Can the youngins finally win something? If Federer is fit, however, and recovered from recent back problems, he should win easy.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

It's a joke of a draw. Top half way tougher than bottom half. I've used bonus bets to back a few here (Fed, Dimitrov & Zverev) but really looks Federers for the taking. Nadal looks a massive lay at $4. When was the last time he did anything in NYC?

I'm ready for 2 weeks of 8pm sleeps and 1am wake ups. Won't be fun but hopefully we get a result.

Successful first day but going to be a loooooong day at work after being up at 1am! Tossing up whether to lay Zverev @1.02 later this morning for a laugh. Seems way too short for mine. Will probably steamroll into the next round but is still to prove himself in grand slams so you never know.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 2:04pm

Successful first day but going to be a loooooong day at work after being up at 1am! Tossing up whether to lay Zverev @1.02 later this morning for a laugh. Seems way too short for mine. Will probably steamroll into the next round but is still to prove himself in grand slams so you never know.

Couldn't resist. Layed him at 1.025 for a $12 liability. Cheering for a shocker now!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 2:13pm
Tomic says he is not fazed, has worked his way up the rankings before, will do it again LOL

No way. he has the heart of a hamster, but no problems he is rich, unlike all those losers in factories he derided 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 2:28pm

Tomic says he is not fazed, has worked his way up the rankings before, will do it again LOL

No way. he has the heart of a hamster, but no problems he is rich, unlike all those losers in factories he derided 

The problem for Tomic now is that he is ranked 140-odd and will probably have to go through qualifying for just about every ATP level tournament. Or he starts playing challengers but no guarantee he wins many of those anyway. Will no doubt get a wild card into the Aus open so if he happened to fluke a good run there he could conceivably be back in the top 100.

Update: Zverev broken in his 2nd service game. He is teasing me!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 2:34pm
I doubt Tomic is that rich. It won't last long the way he spends it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 3:38pm
Yep Zverev teased me!
Won the 1st 11-9 in the tiebreak. Oh well. Still traded out for a minuscule profit.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 3:47pm

I doubt Tomic is that rich. It won't last long the way he spends it.

agree, he was talking about $10 million, would do me nicely but the fool will go through that in no time
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 2:16pm
Federer taken to a 5th set here. Crazy match!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 4:45pm
who won ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 4:55pm

who won ?

Fed 6-4 in the 5th. Was up an early break, or broken when serving for the match (had match point) but then broke straight back to take it.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 5:07pm
Great.

I hope those 2 Oz Brats are kicked out quick.

They are destroying Interest in our home grown.    Roger must be near the too old basket but what a great player , person and role model.
I'm practicing safe texts,
I'm using commas.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic