Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australian Open Tennis 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australian Open Tennis 2017
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 12:30pm
Kicks off in two weeks time so thought I'd start this thread as a catch all for the entire summer of tennis. Hopman Cup and Brisbane International (fantastic field this year) started yesterday and already good betting opportunities. Should be the usual bonanza on Betfair. They've been sending out a few promos where they'll boost your winnings by 20% up to a certain amount. Had one for the Big Bash and also a general one for all markets a few weeks ago. Hoping they have one for the Aus open as well which would be icing on the cake.

Betting wise so far was on Kyrgios last night against Lopez who he accounted for comfortably. And just jumped on Ferrer half way through the 1st set against Tomic.
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:23pm
Will be playing Troicki against Nishioka in Brisbane on a couple of hours time. He usually goes well on the early tournaments and Nishioka is a Challenger level player. Will back to win 1 unit. If the 1st set it tight will most likely trade out after it's finished. If Troicki is dominating I will probably play it out the whole match.

Probably back Federer in Perth tonight to win 1 unit as well. He has had 6 months off but hasn't rushed things and I would suggest he wouldn't be playing if he wasn't ready to go. He crushed Evans in the 3rd round of Wimbledon last year and it will likely be a similar story here.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 6:06pm
I get very confused with all the Russian and Polish women...

all but Glad Wenitsova...Wink 
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Will be playing Troicki against Nishioka in Brisbane on a couple of hours time. He usually goes well on the early tournaments and Nishioka is a Challenger level player. Will back to win 1 unit. If the 1st set it tight will most likely trade out after it's finished. If Troicki is dominating I will probably play it out the whole match.

Probably back Federer in Perth tonight to win 1 unit as well. He has had 6 months off but hasn't rushed things and I would suggest he wouldn't be playing if he wasn't ready to go. He crushed Evans in the 3rd round of Wimbledon last year and it will likely be a similar story here.

1st set of the Troicki game was tight enough but he always had the upper hand and looked to take control at the end. Will stay in here unless there is a long weather delay or something like that.

Federer ended up being too short for someone returning from injury so only ended up backing him to win 2/3 units. Currently on serve in the 1st set.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 6:50pm
You love this time of the yearI think, and do very well.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 6:56pm
Hope you win on the punt E & E. The actual tennis in these nothing tournaments just bores the sox off me. Might be me just getting older....just find  tennis has lost all its mojo. Occasionally will watch a few games in the women...until I realise I am just an old perv & go back to Storage Wars or Supervet !
I've only backed one certainty in my life....& it lost !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Hope you win on the punt E & E. The actual tennis in these nothing tournaments just bores the sox off me. Might be me just getting older....just find  tennis has lost all its mojo. Occasionally will watch a few games in the women...until I realise I am just an old perv & go back to Storage Wars or Supervet !

I don't disagree with you entirely OneOne. Outside the grand slams I wouldn't follow/watch it if I wasn't betting on it. And hey, I probably would have been at the bar instead of court 5 at Flushing Meadows in August if I hadn't had a big bet on Gasquet (lost CryLOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

You love this time of the yearI think, and do very well.

Thanks Whale, hoping the coming weeks are profitable again too! Thumbs Up

I actually started betting basically the whole season last year but don't bother posting outside the slams as no one is really interested. But like racing, how can you beat a sport where there is action aplenty every day of the year? Well nearly every day, they do have a 6 week break from late November to now.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:18am

1st set of the Troicki game was tight enough but he always had the upper hand and looked to take control at the end. Will stay in here unless there is a long weather delay or something like that.

Federer ended up being too short for someone returning from injury so only ended up backing him to win 2/3 units. Currently on serve in the 1st set.

Troicki game was delayed until this afternoon due to storms in Brisbane basically as soon as I posted this. The match wasn't a blowout by any means (although the was clearly on top) so ended up trading out to lock in a 0.7 unit profit.

Federer cruised as expected.

Nothing for me this afternoon but a couple tonight.
Nadal against Dolgopolov in Brisbane to win 1.5 units. Should easily get the job done here. Looks in great form after beating three top line players last week. On the off chance he was to lose a set I will trade out for a loss. Otherwise play it out.

Kyrgios against Pavlasek in Perth to win 0.5 units. Very short but will be a demolition job almost certainly.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 6:57pm
Kyrgios with a leg problem. Dominating on serve but visibly having problems. Will trade out after the 1st set regardless here I think. May have to take a loss regardless of who wins it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 7:12pm

Kyrgios with a leg problem. Dominating on serve but visibly having problems. Will trade out after the 1st set regardless here I think. May have to take a loss regardless of who wins it.

Won the 1st 7-5. Looking a bit better the last 10 min or so so will stay in for a while and see what happens.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 6:18am
Good to see Nadal in form.

'I am never going to be the fittest guy on tour. I'm 6'5", 195 centimeters, so it's not easy for me to be like Ferrer or Murray or these players that are very low center of gravity.Stern Smile

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 11:13am
Kyrgios won a tough match in straight sets. Nadal cruised.

This afternoon:
Nishikori to win 0.5units
Ferrer to win 1 unit

Will tally the results tonight but up around 5.5 units currently.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 1:44pm

This afternoon:
Ferrer to win 1 unit

Nishikor up 4-0 in the 1st and loses 6 straight games and the set. Traded out for 1.6unit loss. He is diabolical on serve currently. Probably goes on to win now I'm out.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 5:35pm

This afternoon:
Ferrer to win 1 unit

Nishikor up 4-0 in the 1st and loses 6 straight games and the set. Traded out for 1.6unit loss. He is diabolical on serve currently. Probably goes on to win now I'm out.

Late to update as have been indisposed.
Ferrer won 1st set and has fallen to pieces almost. Lost 2nd and traded out for 1.5unit loss.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 9:19pm
Doha tournament on as well (also Chennai). Starting shortly - Goffin to win 1 unit.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 10:14pm

Doha tournament on as well (also Chennai). Starting shortly - Goffin to win 1 unit.

One of those days. Out for a 1.6 unit loss.

Overall result currently +0.7
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 1:23pm
Let's try again today:

In Brisbane:
Raonic (starts soon) to win 1 unit.
Nadal (tonight) to win 1 unit

In Perth:
Kyrgios but a watch on the first few games prior to betting. He struggled with a leg injury he other night so would want to confirm he is ok as Sock is very good too.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 9:52am

Let's try again today:

In Brisbane:
Raonic (starts soon) to win 1 unit.
Nadal (tonight) to win 1 unit

In Perth:
Kyrgios but a watch on the first few games prior to betting. He struggled with a leg injury he other night so would want to confirm he is ok as Sock is very good too.

Both cruised. Kyrgios was broken early so wasn't a bet.
Overall +2.7 units.

This morning Starting in 10 min: Warwrinka to win 1 unit.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 10:11am
interesting thread this. I hope your units are big enough to make it worthwhile
Winner of the TBV Champion Tipster Award
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 10:28am

interesting thread this. I hope your units are big enough to make it worthwhile

I wasn't going to mention how much specifically I bet on these because I assume that most people care more about whether the strategy wins or loses than how much. But in any event I'm currently betting these to $100 units. Also, when I say "to win 1 unit" I am saying to win 1 unit AFTER commission. So the amount bet will be different depending on both your unit size as well as your Betfair discount rate.

Once the Aus open starts it will be hard to continue straight out selections like these because with so many games the plays will change constantly depending on start/finish times etc. Also the strategy will change somewhat. I will probably just recommend games here and there which will be good to apply my more active trading strategy.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 10:32am
E + E, none of my business really but I guessed $100
Winner of the TBV Champion Tipster Award
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 10:35am
Warwrinka struggling here. Very likely to trade out for a small loss. Most likely if it gets to 6-6 OR immediately he is broken. If he starts going better that could change.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 10:41am

E + E, none of my business really but I guessed $100

All good mate. I'm happy to let people know if they're interested so no issue.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 12:00pm

Warwrinka struggling here. Very likely to trade out for a small loss. Most likely if it gets to 6-6 OR immediately he is broken. If he starts going better that could change.

Game still going at 1 set all.

This was a 1.6 unit loss. Traded out when he was broken to go down 5-4 in the 1st. In hindsight this was a bad trade and a little annoyed with myself for making it. Will explain why another time as I'm out of action for likely the rest of the day.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 12:41pm
Tennis is dead to me, now that I cant bet against Ana Ivanovic in the early rounds of a slam, where she invariably loses to a $5 pop.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 1:12pm
cannot understand Laver rating Kyrgios so highly...hope that stroke didn't damage his reasoning powers...

Unhappy

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 2:59pm
Ranked 13 in the world and doesn't really give a sh.t about the sport. That's a fair amount of natural ability that he possesses.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 3:02pm
Might be  motivational by Rocket Rodney
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 3:35pm
Kyrgios hasn't got the temperament to win a grand slam- he's a flake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic