Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australia whitewashes race

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australia whitewashes race
    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:58pm
Here we go again!

After Waleed Aly's Logies award speech where he informed us all that Australian television does not have any non white anglo-saxon representation on our screens, at least not until he came along, we now have another over privileged, person who thinks they know all about our society, talking rubbish.

Last night basketballer Liz Cambage, went on Charlie Pickerings show, and said that before she lived in the US she had never lived in a country welcoming of people of different race.

1. As was stated after Waleeds, quite obviously inept and unknowledgeable rant, there have been many different races that have hosted and portrayed roles on Australian television. One of our early cooking celebs was a French guy, in Gabriel Gate, and we now have Chinese, Vietnamese and indigenous people in this area. We have seen people such as Ernie Dingo, Deborah Mailman, and Aaron Peterson come through in the last twenty years or so, to forge very productive careers. We have seen some SBS presenters switch to commercial stations. We have seen entire series be based on ethnic lifestyles in Australia, in all genres.
2. The reason that Liz feels welcomed in the US is because she is a sports star. If she was just working at a Starbucks or at a hotel or some other everyday job, she would feel just as disenchanted and just as ostracised as she felt in Australia.
3. She says Australia has a racist society. I do not know this for sure, but she lived in Melbourne and I do not know if she travelled around Australia, but she is making a general conclusion on very limited exposure to the whole country. It is the same with her in the US. She only lives in one area or one city within the country. If she lived in Mississippi or some other state, she would find she is not as accepted as she is in a big urban city, like Dallas, where she played last year.
4. She seems to be a lady who has a big chip on her shoulder. In the interview she also says that she and her fellow WNBA players are not paid as much as the
men. Now I think she must have ben having a lend here, because as we all know athletes are paid, due to their earning power. Now this means that if the WNBA was able to generate billions in revenue, the teams would be able to afford the salaries and then she would have no reason to complain, so the only people who are keeping her from earning more, are the players themselves.

I think Liz thinks she is worth more than she is getting, but from what I have seen, she should be glad what she has and just get on with dribbling and throwing a basketball.   

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 11:09pm
She is living in la la land.  Because she can play a sport most of them worship in the US she is a star.  If she was a black female taxi driver in Lexington she would be treated like dirt.
What about the Washington Post owned Mag that headlined , after Christchurch,  " Shootings should implicate all white Australians " ?    By that token shouldnt it now headline  " Bombings should Implicate all muslims " ?? Confused
animals before people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 11:22pm
Personally I think every nation on the planet has a racism problem.

reductio ad absurdum
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 11:36pm
It's an inborn tendency for these poor souls to jump on the "Brown People" bandwagon as an excuse for every failure or set back they experience.
     The "Instinct" of the beasts.

I note a Lady in great demand at Sky at this time ,   Is From Iran and could well be our next Lady PM if she keeps her powder dry and her eyes on the road.
A great example of how far anyone can go, with realistic approach , free of the Paronoia that appears too often in our (relatively New) Settlers.

If Yo No lika da Plasa f----Off.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 1:00am
Lets remember we have a young Koori girl from Darwin going great here at the moment , and so far has never played the race game.  Just gets on with it and is in my opinion a real star in the making.
Jessica Mauboy.
animals before people.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 1:07am
Spot on AA

Jessica is all class
EAD
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Lets remember we have a young Koori girl from Darwin going great here at the moment , and so far has never played the race game.  Just gets on with it and is in my opinion a real star in the making.
Jessica Mauboy.

Happy to throw Lionel Rose into the ring on this discussion.
Straight after he won the world title, media asked Lionel what it meant to him to win as an Aboriginal, Lionel swiftly replied, "I won as an Australian".

Absolute class, and one of the finest boxers ever.

While I am at it, Evonne Goolagong has one of the most remarkable records in the history of tennis.

Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 12:28pm
I saw Liz on the TV and didn’t get that impression at all.
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 1:40pm
Firstly who seriously watches Charlie Pickering and who takes anything he says or presents seriously?

Second there is zero outrage from the usual suspects on twitter.
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 1:52pm
It is a comedy show, clearly she was JOKING
This space has been intentionally left blank
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 5:13pm
Okay so a five to eight minute interview, where a sports person talks almost exclusively about her tough upbringing (which I do not doubt was not pleasant in the schoolyard, but nothing that others who are fat or short or who speak another language have gone through), and also the fact that women earn less than men, when sport is a what you ear is what you create, industry, does not seem like a person with a chip on their shoulder.

I must have ben watching a different interview. And I thought she was dead serious.

I think what djebel said is correct.

Every nation has a racism problem, and she is only experiencing a section of both Australia and the US, she is not seeing the overall country's social behaviour.

Again as I did with Waleed. I ask how many anglosaxon white people are hosts and presenters on Japanese television, or Mexican television, or Brazilian television or commercial networks in United States.

I guess it is a different perspective for different people!    
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
 Post Reply Post Reply