Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australia Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by WarriSymbol WarriSymbol wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Geez, just move on.  Enjoy Ozz day.  Celebrate this great country.
Celebrate the fact we are all young and free.  All of us.
Free to do whatever we like and be whoever we like.
All we have to do, be we black , white, or brindle, is take the chance we are offered , and run with it.
We are all mates.  We all look out for each other.   
Happy Ozz Day all youse  larrikens Thumbs Up

Surely Federation Day makes more sense as a fully inclusive national day all Australians can celebrate.
On 26 Jan 1788 the majority may have been young but they certainly were not free.
Indigenous peoples Invasion Day calls aside, the fact is while we celebrate all that is great about this nation on Australia Day the date this takes place represents the opening of an offshore British prison camp.

Hope everyone has a great day and find a couple of winners.

Very naive IMO.

Move the day to Federation Day and the same people will be complaining that they don't recognize the 6 separate British States which united to form the Commonwealth.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Originally posted by MJM MJM wrote:

Can't we just have an Australia Day and make it a happy one with no agendas being pushed , get to the races have a barbie invite your aboriginal, Muslim, Greek ,Italian , kiwi , Yankee whatever over have a few beers and be happy for the great country we live in .

Happy Australia Day to all on this board I hope you all have a lovely day with family and friends and the only people who should suffer should be the bookies

Great sentiment MJM, one which I share Thumbs Up

Fine.  Except it shouldn't be held on the anniversary of the First Fleet's arrival.  
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Can't we just have an Australia Day and make it a happy one with no agendas being pushed , get to the races have a barbie invite your aboriginal, Muslim, Greek ,Italian , kiwi , Yankee whatever over have a few beers and be happy for the great country we live in .

Happy Australia Day to all on this board I hope you all have a lovely day with family and friends and the only people who should suffer should be the bookies

Fine.  Except it shouldn't be held on the anniversary of the First Fleet's arrival.  

it was once held on the first Monday after or on 26th Jan...so the actual day wasn't that significant...

I think Ian Macfarlane explained it succinctly today...we can still celebrate it but just not on the anniversary of Pip's landing...

better to find a resolution than keep having friction every year and spoiling the whole shebang...

if we celebrate it on Jan 25 perhaps it would solve the issue....

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 10:49pm
ian macfarlane has the courage of his conviction .... after he has left public office.

not the first there.

will his new mining industry job mean a new found respect for indigenous land as well?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

ian macfarlane has the courage of his conviction .... after he has left public office.

not the first there.

will his new mining industry job mean a new found respect for indigenous land as well?

always considered him an idiot...but he actually made sense today...Wacko
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Pretty sure the British weren't first here.

Sorry . I know you are a stickler for facts,,,,,is the word pedantic ?  
I should have said,   first whitie to land, run up the flag, claim the place, settle, and populate.
Does that make you feel better all over  ???

animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 1:52am

Wouldnt matter what day it was held on, there would always be someone ready to find fault with it.
Should be celebrating it was the British got here first, and not the Portugese/Dutch/or blue eyed blonde Germans.  If they had been the first comers there would be no indigenous people left now.
Spot on aa!

And it's over now, and everyone seems to have had a lovely day off work, which is as much as it means to most people, including the most of our original citizens ... and a handful of them had their opportunity to do some bed wetting and flag burning, and they only assaulted a couple of people that the media granted us a report on, well away from their own back yards that is! ... can't imagine it was a great day for many women and kids, once the patriarch had got a boot full by lunch time!

Anyway, most of those citizens who carried out their patriotic celebratory duties today, tinnie held high, snag sanger in the other, will be doing their patriotic duty tomorrow too ... phoning in to work complaining of a severe bout of the Invasion Day Flu, and using up another sickie! ... if they don't, they simply have not integrated, and should be deported immediately!!!Big smile
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Rattlesnake View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 6:50am
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

it was once held on the first Monday after or on 26th Jan...so the actual day wasn't that significant...

I think Ian Macfarlane explained it succinctly today...we can still celebrate it but just not on the anniversary of Pip's landing...

better to find a resolution than keep having friction every year and spoiling the whole shebang...

Caving in to a loud minority on this issue won't bring about any 'resolution.' These activist groups will simply then move on to their next target.

It's comparable to the groups that oppose horse racing. They target specific goals in the hope that people will relent in an attempt to calm things, but after achieving that success the groups will move on to the next target, always with an eye on the end goal.

If people want to use the term 'invasion,' they also logically then need to accept that the invaders comprehensively conquered the peoples already on this land. A technologically more advanced group overpowers a less advanced group and takes their land. It's basically the story of human history. Just ask the Aztecs or Inca. Oh, wait...
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 7:58am
Who cares what day it's on? The Queen's birthday's not the Queen's birthday, Christmas is just the winter solstice, Easter was flogged off the Jews and who the cares when Labour Day is? Personally I reckon the calendar is a bit cluttered- we should move it to August some time. Spread them out a little.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Rattlesnake Rattlesnake wrote:

Caving in to a loud minority on this issue won't bring about any 'resolution.' These activist groups will simply then move on to their next target.

It's comparable to the groups that oppose horse racing. They target specific goals in the hope that people will relent in an attempt to calm things, but after achieving that success the groups will move on to the next target, always with an eye on the end goal.

If people want to use the term 'invasion,' they also logically then need to accept that the invaders comprehensively conquered the peoples already on this land. A technologically more advanced group overpowers a less advanced group and takes their land. It's basically the story of human history. Just ask the Aztecs or Inca. Oh, wait...

Hmm, accept they lost.  Well there is a precedent, we have another public holiday "celebrating" having our own arses well and truly kicked militarily. Maybe we could sell it like that?
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:07am

Pretty sure the British weren't first here.

Sorry . I know you are a stickler for facts,,,,,is the word pedantic ?  
I should have said,   first whitie to land, run up the flag, claim the place, settle, and populate.
Does that make you feel better all over  ???

Facts are so annoying, they can get in the way of a good opinion

Fortunately the world is now being run by a man who makes them up as we go along

That can only go well Thumbs Up
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:08am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Who cares what day it's on? The Queen's birthday's not the Queen's birthday, Christmas is just the winter solstice, Easter was flogged off the Jews and who the cares when Labour Day is? Personally I reckon the calendar is a bit cluttered- we should move it to August some time. Spread them out a little.

precisely, Judge...it's all semantics...

but August is unacceptable...too cold to run around in flag-clothes...

leave it in January...but on a date when the fleet is still on the high seas, heading down-under...Confused

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:32am

Hmm, accept they lost.  Well there is a precedent, we have another public holiday "celebrating" having our own arses well and truly kicked militarily. Maybe we could sell it like that?

If they are going to view the events as an invasion, they clearly did lose. 

The more advanced conquered the less advanced. Try finding a continent on Earth (apart from Antarctica) where this didn't occur, it's the basis of human history.

How absurd it is to be applying 21st century moralizing to events that occurred hundreds of years ago.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:36am

Plenty of Aboriginal people and their supporters obviously.

Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:37am
Australia Day is the 26th January and always has been. We used to have the public holiday on the nearest Friday or Monday so everyone could have a long weekend but the actual Australia day was always the 26th.

Yesterday 20 odd million Australians enjoyed their day off anyway they wanted. Some may have done a bit of flag waving which is fine. I find it intensely irritating that a small but loud group who dare to presume they speak for the indigenous people of this country can get so much attention.

If they want to protest " invasion day" go and burn the British Flag outside of Westminster. That's where the decision to send the First Fleet was made.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:39am

The more advanced conquered the less advanced. Try finding a continent on Earth (apart from Antarctica) where this didn't occur, it's the basis of human history.

How absurd it is to be applying 21st century moralizing to events that occurred hundreds of years ago.

Is it time we just got over WW1 or WW11 yet and forget about those lives lost?

Should the US just get over the war of independence or the civil war? Surely they are over it now?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Australia Day is the 26th January and always has been. We used to have the public holiday on the nearest Friday or Monday so everyone could have a long weekend but the actual Australia day was always the 26th.

Yesterday 20 odd million Australians enjoyed their day off anyway they wanted. Some may have done a bit of flag waving which is fine. I find it intensely irritating that a small but loud group who dare to presume they speak for the indigenous people of this country can get so much attention.

If they want to protest " invasion day" go and burn the British Flag outside of Westminster. That's where the decision to send the First Fleet was made.

Clap

3,000 - 5,000 people in Sydney protested. You'd think it was half the country by the way it's being represented. Beware vocal minorities, especially in this time of social media.

IMO these protests are going to receive push back as more people come out to celebrate the day in opposition.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:45am

Should the US just get over the war of independence or the civil war? Surely they are over it now?

Ridiculous examples, even for you.

It's not about forgetting lives lost or sacrifices made, it's about not holding the other bloke's ancestors responsible you peanut.

Do you hold the Japanese and Germans of today responsible for the ancestors actions?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

when it was simply a long weekend we didn't have the angst we do now...

does it really matter to the average Aussie who just wants a day off to act like a boozed-up drunken flag...?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:47am

Ridiculous examples, even for you.

It's not about forgetting lives lost or sacrifices made, it's about not holding the other bloke's ancestors responsible you peanut.

Do you hold the Japanese and Germans of today responsible for the ancestors actions?

To the victor the spoils. To the vanquished ''go screw yourself....we won'' and we're going to let you know it. 
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 8:54am
I can't see any good reason why australia day should be on the anniversary of the penal colony. I doubt there are many with any great affection for that particular day.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I can't see any good reason why australia day should be on the anniversary of the penal colony. I doubt there are many with any great affection for that particular day.

You make a fair point Tlaz. Took one look at the joint and thought "hmm, this is a good place to let our worst fester".

It don't 'arf bring a tear to your eye.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:17am

Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

You make a fair point Tlaz. Took one look at the joint and thought "hmm, this is a good place to let our worst fester".

It don't 'arf bring a tear to your eye.

LOLLOL..the whole argument is so childish...most Aussies just want a day to make fools of themselves...(me included)...any day is fine...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:25am
The date doesn't bother me, it is what the day represents. Christmas hardly represents what the day is meant to mean(even on a different birth date to the fellow)

They say we are celebrating inclusiveness and what a tolerant welcoming country we are, yet we wont consider the feeling of non inclusiveness  felt by many.

I just think that some empathy should be shown and an intelligent conversation should be held. We are going to great lengths apologizing and having a constitutional recognition referendum to recognise first peoples , but seemingly dont want to show interest in discussing a clear sticking point in that overall conversation. 
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:28am
do Germans have a national day celebrating WW!! Rattle ?
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:36am
Good point about the Germans
What do other countries do. Say America or France???
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:43am
Catering to a loud minority. Lol, good one Rattlesnake. Gov't has been doing that for years re gay marriage etc.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Good point about the Germans
What do other countries do. Say America or France???

who cares what other countries do?

would you be More Joyous if we followed their lead? Wink

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:46am

What a pile of rot. Dreadful comparison.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 9:47am

The date doesn't bother me, it is what the day represents. Christmas hardly represents what the day is meant to mean(even on a different birth date to the fellow)

They say we are celebrating inclusiveness and what a tolerant welcoming country we are, yet we wont consider the feeling of non inclusiveness  felt by many.

I just think that some empathy should be shown and an intelligent conversation should be held. We are going to great lengths apologizing and having a constitutional recognition referendum to recognise first peoples , but seemingly dont want to show interest in discussing a clear sticking point in that overall conversation. 

the impossible dream in this era of Trump and "Turnball" (was that a typo?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>