Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > International Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Aussie Contingent- Royal Ascot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndiCap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie Contingent- Royal Ascot
    Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 1:54pm
Courtesy of AAP

Nine Australian horses feature among the record 164 overseas entries for the Royal Ascot meeting.

The world's highest ranked sprinter Chautauqua is among 44 entries for the Diamond Jubilee Stakes along with last year's winner, American Undrafted who beat Australia's Brazen Beau.

The Hawkes Racing-trained Chautauqua won the opening leg of the Global Sprint series, the Lightning Stakes in Melbourne, and runs next in the Chairman's Sprint Prize in Hong Kong on May 1.

That race is also a challenge leg and if Chautauqua wins that and either the Diamond Jubilee or July Cup in England, he would collect a $US1 million ($A1.28 million) by winning three legs in three different jurisdictions.

Australian Group One winners, Godolphin's Holler, the Chris Waller-trained Japonisme and The Quarterback, trained by Robbie Griffiths, are also among the nominations for the sprints.

Godolphin also has Australian-trained import Bow Creek entered for the Queen Anne Stakes.

Bow Creek runs in Sunday's QEII Cup in Hong Kong.

Vancouver, the 2015 Golden Slipper winner, is also nominated for the Queen Anne for trainer Aidan O'Brien in an attempt to claim a European win before he joins the Coolmore Australia stallion roster later this year.

The Royal meeting runs from June 14 to 18.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:03pm
8 of the 9 are battling to win in Australia.Big smile
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 4:32am
Not really part of the Aussie contingent but Foxwedge had a winner in the US on Thursday called Star Empire for Wesley Ward. He will be going to Ascot for the Coventry. 

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 6:04am
Acapulco - US winner last year as 2YO @ Ascot, won last weekend at Churchill Downs is another Wesley Ward entry.

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 12:13am
The Ward contingent - 

• Wesley Ward with Acapulco after winning the Queen Mary Stakes at Royal Ascot in 2015 PHOTO: carolinenorris.ie
Wesley Ward talks exclusively to Sean Clancy on his Royal Ascot assault 

“NONE of the above – right now.” That’s how Wesley Ward answered if he was nervous, excited or watching the weather, 12 days before his annual raid on Royal Ascot.

“I know they’re expecting a lot of rain this weekend, which is good, hopefully it gets out of the way of us,” Ward said on June 2nd. “Every year, you figure things out. I’m starting to get the shipping down, which ones can go a little early, which ones can go a little later; it’s a learning process. When I first went, I just got lucky, and won those races the first year, having that fast ground, all the arrows pointed to my side. Throughout the years, I’ve found out the negatives. If it rains, we’re all in trouble coming from here.”

Ward’s eight-horse string has settled in at Manton. The heavy lifting is over, now it’s just primp and pamper before the five-day festival, the pinnacle for Ward.

“If I had to choose between Royal Ascot or the Breeders’ Cup, I’d choose Royal Ascot. If you had to choose, obviously you want to win anything you can, I’d like to win a $4,000 race at Belterra,” Ward said. “It’s just an amazing place, there are so many American people who don’t know what it’s about, it’s an unbelievable feeling to be there, to win there.”

Ward returns with his Royal Ascot winners from last year – Undrafted, winner of the Diamond Jubilee, and Acapulco, winner of the Queen Mary before finishing second in the Coolmore Nunthorpe at York in August. Beyond those returnees, Ward comes loaded with his usual arsenal of two-year-olds.

Ward talked about each.

Create A Dream for the Albany: “She has been there the whole time since she won at Ascot earlier this year. She’s right on target. From the onset, she was the best one I had, from the breaking process and the early workouts at Palm Meadows, she was the best. As soon as you start breezing on the grass, you can tell, she was breezing like she was a four-year-old. Mario Pino worked her, he was throwing her down and she was going in 22 and change, as slow as she could go, just gliding over the grass, we knew she was something special.”

Lady Aurelia for the Queen Mary: “It was a bit of a question because I did not break this filly. When I break them, they go on the dirt and the grass, they get a good feel of it, months and months of galloping on the grass. I got her late, it was foreign to her, she got outworked on the grass, I flipped her back to the dirt, she zipped out of there, boom, the light went on before her race at Keeneland. There was a little bit of a question mark about if she would take to the grass. I sent her to Arlington, wow, like scintillating works. I can’t see her losing. They are awesome good works on the grass. She breathes different air against her opposition she’s working with, she breaks three or four behind them, settles, eases out and widens. It’s not like she’s widening against horses who are just horses, she’s doing it against quality horses. You look at the watch and think, ‘that can’t be.’”

Undrafted in the Diamond Jubilee: “He’s a really quirky dude as soon as you take him out of his tobacco barn where he lives at Keeneland. At the Breeders’ Cup he was an eighth of a mile from where he lives, he circled the stall, washed out. Last year, he settled right in at Manton and we got to Ascot early. That really helps him, he gets the nervous jitters out the first day and then settles right in. I hope it’s the same this year.”

Acapulco in the Commonwealth or King’s Stand: “I sat down with Michael Tabor that night at York, he asked if we should push forward to the Breeders’ Cup. I said, ‘I think we can do it, but any time you’re pushing forward to races, especially at two, you’re risking injury. What would you rather do, go to Royal Ascot and work backwards?’ He said, ‘absolutely that’s what we want to do.’ We ran her in an allowance race at Turfway this winter and believe it or not, she had to run to win, she ran a nine on the sheets, then I backed up. She won her prep at Churchill, she’s over there now and settled in. I’ve planned this since August. Everything’s perfect.”

Silvertoni in the Windsor Castle: “She’s doing good, she’s won both her starts, she showed me she likes the grass, she’ll work twice at Manton. She should be in great shape.”

Big City Dreamin in the Windsor Castle: “She loves the grass, she’s a big imposing filly, she won her only start, in the first two-year-old race at Keeneland, and I think she’s going to run a big race.”

Star Empire in the Coventry: “He won a really nice maiden race at Belmont, by six or seven lengths. He’s by Foxwedge, an Australian champion sprinter. The owner of Foxwedge sent me three Foxwedge weanlings to my farm in Ocala, just bring them up just how I would bring mine up. I think he’s going to be really, really tough.”

Red Lodge in the Norfolk: “She broke the track record at Belmont Park. She’s going to run against the boys, she’ll get a little weight, I like her.”

reductio ad absurdum

djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 10:01pm
Gold Fun

Previous

Edited by Gay3 - 13 Jun 2016 at 10:14pm

reductio ad absurdum

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 7:54pm
Scenic Blast, ex Royal Ascot runner, looking super Clap Clap

Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 2:23am
Lady Aurelia for the Queen Mary

Smashed them
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 1:15pm
My Dream Boat's damsire is Choisir & Noholme shows up in the 6th gen of the sire.

He's more Australian than Russell Crowe. Send us the trophy.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 1:38pm
Good grief Red Hare that's the same as them saying all Australian breds are more English or USA than Australia because the original bloodstock came from overseas.  Credit due to Choisir with the dam's of two winners yesterday and Noholme crops up in anything with Dancing Brave etc.  Pago Pago is quite a regular also and even Strawberry Road, Shannon and Bernborough appear sometimes - great to find these in the pedigrees.  If you want to go back further probably not one horse racing at Ascot this week hasn't got multiples of Carbine, Trenton and Darebin.  While the mares Achray, Southern Cross and quite a few others also appear regualarly.

I always feel proud to know they went out and contributed to the better gallopers and didn't just get lost in the crowd.  But their progeny overseas are just that - no longer true blue Aussies. They took on the world and left their mark. 
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 8:36pm
Just to put it in perspective.  Tapit the USA sire of the Belmont Stakes winner Creator has Carbine in his pedigree 56 times.  Trenton is there 22 times, Sir Modred 3 and Souther Cross twice but coming out on top is the Sydney Cup winner Darebin who is in his pedigree 71 times.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 4:51pm
"He's always been a second tier horse for us but a good Group one horse at that."

Next time take a top tier horse.Lamp
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

"He's always been a second tier horse for us but a good Group one horse at that."

There is something very very wrong that a horse can be a group 1 horse yet is considered a second tier horse. Something very very wrong with that.

reductio ad absurdum

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 10:44am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

There is something very very wrong that a horse can be a group 1 horse yet is considered a second tier horse. Something very very wrong with that.

Not really- all G1s are not created equal. There are so many of them in Australia that you can snag a G1 without being in the top grade. The Canterbury Stakes was a dreadfully weak G1 this year, as it often is.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 11:23am
Anywhere to see replays of Ascot?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic