Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Augusta is back.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Augusta is back.
    Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 6:26am
Augusta Proud back to her best.

Augusta Proud
Grand filly Augusta Proud bounced back to her brilliant best at Morphettville on Saturday when she stormed home to win the listed Dermody Stakes (1050m).

In getting up to beat Cerberus Gal with a brilliant finishing burst, Augusta Proud clinched the jockey's premiership for Chad Lever - who finished a half win ahead of rival Simon Price at the last Adelaide meeting of the season.

Ridden off the speed, Augusta Proud ($2.25 fav) was able to come with a strong burst when asked to accelerate between runners by Lever and beat Cerberus Gal ($7) by a nose.

Third home was the previously unbeaten Orbiting Belle ($6), a further length back.

A record breaker - the only horse to ever complete the Gold Coast and Adelaide Magic Millions 2YO Classic double - Augusta Proud is a daughter of leading Vinery Stud stallion More Than Ready.

Despite having not won a race since the $1.5 million Conrad Jupiters Magic Millions 2YO Classic (1200m) at the Gold Coast last year, the outstanding performer has run a string of excellent races.

Only two runs back she ran fourth, just over two lengths from Takeover Target, in the Group One The Goodwood.

She was also placed in no fewer than four other stakes events in both Melbourne and Adelaide.

Leon Macdonald"While she didn't win during her last preparation she ran a number of good races," winning trainer Leon Macdonald said.

"She was running in some good quality races and certainly wasn't disgraced," he added.

Augusta Proud's record reads out at seven wins and four minor placings from just 15 starts.

The filly has not only become a favourite of the Leon Macdonald stable, but also one of South Australian race fans in general.

Augusta Proud has earned a staggering $1,598,778 - not bad for a filly who could have been yours for just $50,000 at the 2007 Magic Millions Adelaide Yearling Sale.

Macdonald said the filly would have her next start in either the Spring Stakes in Adelaide or Cockram Stakes at Caulfield.

He would see how she performs at her next start before deciding on a race or two to target during the spring.

"I'd have a look at perhaps giving her a bit of a freshen after her next run and pick out something at Flemington for her," he pointed out.

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 7:01am
Great effort there.

Many would have given up with a young filly but MacDonald has got her back to her best.

Should be a force in Melbourne this spring. Great for racing. Thumbs Up
reldas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reldas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 7:07am
Teeth clenching, fist squeezing, breath holding moments until the announcement of the winner in that nose hair finishClap
Relampago View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relampago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 8:41am
winning in  Adelaide does NOT mean she is back to her best....

Good to see, but wouldnt be getting carried away just yet
Daintree Duke Fan Club President!!! RIP!!!

Melbourne Autumn Tipping Champion 2009!
Melbourne Spring Tipping Champion 2009!
Zenden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 6:31pm
Thought the same relampo, glad to see her win, but back to her best and called a champion just a little premature at this stage.
wilsd004 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilsd004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 8:49pm
We were there watching her run and had plenty of coin on her too. It was a pretty amazing run, she was no-where 100 metres out she just could not get a run, but then one opened up and boy did she fly home, even with 50m to go she looked no hope but got there by a nostril I reckon on the line. Took about 10 mins to get the judge to call her a winner and when it was the people in the grandstand erupted.
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 9:09pm
Like this filly but would want to see her improve on that to be any credible threat over the spring in Melbourne.
The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 10:25pm
Got home by an inch
Josh_call View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh_call Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 10:36pm
has anybody seen the photo??
The Muffin Man View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Muffin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 11:12pm
Claiming a horse is back after winning a listed race in SA by a lip is a bit rich for me. I'll be waiting to see more.
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22
Jolls View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 11:22pm
Would be interested to see the photo. To my eye it never looked like she got past the inside horse, was pretty happy when her name came up though Thumbs Up 
Season 2012 = 102 Years since Collingwood has beaten Carlton in a Grand Final.
Josh_call View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh_call Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 12:02am

i didnt think she got there either

msbcooper View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msbcooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 12:37am

LINCOLN MOORE

July 26, 2009 11:30pm

CHAD Lever couldn't have scripted a better end to the 2008/09 South Australian racing season.

Lever landed a winning double including the $70,000 Dermody Stakes aboard Augusta Proud to capture a last stride win in the SA Jockeys' Premiership.

"It was an exciting way to finish the season," Lever said yesterday.

Going into Saturday's Morphettville meeting a half-win behind Simon Price, Lever said he didn't feel any extra pressure on himself despite riding the race favourite in the feature, and needing one win to secure the title.

"I'd been trailing all year and if I had have been in front it might have been a different story but I didn't think about the title too much." he said.

And he produced the perfect ride aboard star filly Augusta Proud, cutting down Cerberus Girl in the shadows of the post to clinch a special victory.

"I thought I had won on the line and I looked across and asked Ryan (Plumb, Cerberus Girl) and he also thought I had got there," he said.

"They had to take a second print with the photo which delayed the result little."'

The premiership battle turned into a rollercoaster day for Lever and Price with the latter taking a half-win margin into the day.

Price was in the winner's circle early before Lever hit back aboard Magical Pearl before clinching the title aboard Augusta Proud.

August Proud's Dermody margin was only a nose, and Lever said to finish the season with a feature race victory was the perfect finale.

"To combine with my boss (Leon Macdonald) and a group of owners from Port Augusta, being from there myself, was a great way to finish the season."

And Lever has already made a goal of chasing the elusive 50 metropolitan wins next season.

"I rode 49 last season and didn't quite get there this year, but the premiership was my goal and hopefully I can get to the 50 next season."

silver View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 12:38am
The TV camera at Morphetville is just to the right of the post which gives the impression the inside horse has the advantage.
msbcooper View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msbcooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 12:44am

RACE 7 : DERMODY STAKES - 1050 metres

On jumping away PERGRAM (J Maund) shifted out and brushed STARFISH (M Neilson).

Near the 800 metres ORBITING BELLE (D Smith) shifted in onto AUGUSTA PROUD (C Lever), which was obliged to steady to avoid heels. In being steadied AUGUSTA PROUD was inclined to get its head up and race keenly. D Smith was reprimanded and advised to in future take greater care when shifting ground.

In the vicinity of the 700 metres, as the pace eased, DANCESCAPE (P Mertens), which had commenced to race keenly, was obliged to steady off the heels of QUEENIN CAPER (L Meech) and brushed the running rail on a number of occasions. In consequence JAALIPPY (D Tourneur) was forced to steady away from the heels of DANCESCAPE and in being steadied, shifted out abruptly, severely hampering DEER PARK (L Hopwood).

Near the 700 metres, as the pace eased, AUGUSTA PROUD (C Lever) was obliged to steady off the heels of ORBITING BELLE (D. Smith). In being steadied AUGUSTA PROUD was inclined to get its head up.

From the vicinity of the 400 metres DANCESCAPE (P Mertens) was obliged to race in restricted room outside the heels of QUEENIN CAPER (L Meech), which rolled out marginally, and inside of AUGUSTA PROUD, which held its line.

From the entrance to the straight DANCESCAPE (P Mertens) and AUGUSTA PROUD (C Lever) had difficulty in obtaining clear ground

Approaching the 200 metres DANCESCAPE (P Mertens) was disappointed when attempting a run between QUEENIN CAPER (L Meech), which rolled out and AUGUSTA PROUD (C Lever), which shifted in to improve.

Correct Weight for this event was delayed to permit R Plumb, the rider of the second placegetter CERBERUS GIRL, and Mr L Kennewell representing Mr G Kennewell, the Trainer of the filly, to view the official image. This process was unduly delayed owing to a technical failure preventing the transmission of the Judge’s image to a monitor at the Scales.

wilsd004 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilsd004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 12:45am
We were at the track basically on the line and our first impression was that she got home.
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 3:26am
Yep she had either got there or a dead heat - (tv cameraman was pretty sure she had got there).  It looked like she got the dive in and when they do that they usually win by a nose in that type of finish.

And hows the form out of the Goodwood - Takeover Target wins then serves it up to them in the July CUp til the last 200m (and suffers a bad injury) but I AM Invincible is second and wins the Monash, Commanding Hope is third and wins the last at MV and Augusta Proud is 4th and wins the Dermody (defeating Cerberus Girl who was a close second to Typhoon Tracey 3 starts back then second to Champagne Harmony after that with third going to Oribiting Belle who had won its only two previous starts).
Roidz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 4:45am
The horse I'd be watching from this race would be Orbiting Belle. Not bad for a 2yo.
The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 8:13am
Originally posted by msbcooper msbcooper wrote:

RACE 7 : DERMODY STAKES - 1050 metres

On jumping away PERGRAM (J Maund) shifted out and brushed STARFISH (M Neilson).

Near the 800 metres ORBITING BELLE (D Smith) shifted in onto AUGUSTA PROUD (C Lever), which was obliged to steady to avoid heels. In being steadied AUGUSTA PROUD was inclined to get its head up and race keenly. D Smith was reprimanded and advised to in future take greater care when shifting ground.

In the vicinity of the 700 metres, as the pace eased, DANCESCAPE (P Mertens), which had commenced to race keenly, was obliged to steady off the heels of QUEENIN CAPER (L Meech) and brushed the running rail on a number of occasions. In consequence JAALIPPY (D Tourneur) was forced to steady away from the heels of DANCESCAPE and in being steadied, shifted out abruptly, severely hampering DEER PARK (L Hopwood).

Near the 700 metres, as the pace eased, AUGUSTA PROUD (C Lever) was obliged to steady off the heels of ORBITING BELLE (D. Smith). In being steadied AUGUSTA PROUD was inclined to get its head up.

From the vicinity of the 400 metres DANCESCAPE (P Mertens) was obliged to race in restricted room outside the heels of QUEENIN CAPER (L Meech), which rolled out marginally, and inside of AUGUSTA PROUD, which held its line.

From the entrance to the straight DANCESCAPE (P Mertens) and AUGUSTA PROUD (C Lever) had difficulty in obtaining clear ground

Approaching the 200 metres DANCESCAPE (P Mertens) was disappointed when attempting a run between QUEENIN CAPER (L Meech), which rolled out and AUGUSTA PROUD (C Lever), which shifted in to improve.

Correct Weight for this event was delayed to permit R Plumb, the rider of the second placegetter CERBERUS GIRL, and Mr L Kennewell representing Mr G Kennewell, the Trainer of the filly, to view the official image. This process was unduly delayed owing to a technical failure preventing the transmission of the Judge’s image to a monitor at the Scales.

So, where is the official image? Interesting, the jockeys premiership was decided on the result and of all races to have a technical glitch, it was this one. Does the photo exist? Confused
rubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 8:20am
Official image is on racingsa website (from the inside view) - Augusta Proud is clearly ahead in the image.
MannyG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MannyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 6:52pm
http://www.trsa.com.au/news/290709Dermody.htm

From the looks of that you could call it a Dead Heat; I haven't actually even seen the race so I dunno. But interesting nonetheless.
Nathan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 2:19am
That image shows Augusta's nose being fractionally further over the line though. 
Jolls View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 2:35am

Yep, got home by the looks of that
Season 2012 = 102 Years since Collingwood has beaten Carlton in a Grand Final.
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 2:43am
Looks fast enough to me. Thumbs Up
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 9:21pm
Will be a test this weekend against Midnight Mustang, Arinos et al...

I think she'll win.  I'm not sold on that Gran Sasso form.
Hotham Heights View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotham Heights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 9:57pm
$4.60 about Midnight Mustang on TAB Sportsbet!! He'll be half that price on Raceday and should be way to good for them from barrier 1 with Rawiller on board!!
Nathan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 11:37pm
She has a terrible barrier, as usual. But she'll still be hard to beat.
Relampago View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relampago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 12:09am
If she is as back as people were claiming, she would want to win this tomorrow...
Daintree Duke Fan Club President!!! RIP!!!

Melbourne Autumn Tipping Champion 2009!
Melbourne Spring Tipping Champion 2009!
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 12:13am
And the drama continues from that race.

Judge's Dermody decision not final - beaten trainer
Brad Waters
Friday, 7 August 2009

The Dermody Stakes was run nearly a fortnight ago at Morphettville but Adelaide trainer Gary Kennewell said he was considering mounting a challenge to the result.

Augusta Proud was awarded the race in an extremely tight photo over the Kennewell-trained mare Cerberus Gal, but Kennewell is in no doubt a dead-heat should have been declared at least.

“I’m still convinced my filly won the race,” Kennewell said. “I was in Darwin at the time but I thought she had a margin on the line over Augusta Proud on the TV monitor.

“I sent my son Lloyd who was representing me on the day to have a look at the photo finish and he said it was blurry and even with a magnifying glass it was difficult to make a call one way or the other.

“At the very least it should have been a dead-heat.”

Kennewell returned from Darwin midweek and will visit Thoroughbred Racing SA’s offices to inspect the print of the finish himself.

“I don’t know all the legalities of it all so I can’t really say what will happen,” he said. “But I truly believe Cerberus Gal won the Dermody Stakes or dead –heated in it so we’ll see what happens.”

Nathan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Relampago Relampago wrote:

If she is as back as people were claiming, she would want to win this tomorrow...

Your such a stickler these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic