Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Anyone got a spare plane for Margaret?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

I would love to see all of the players who threaten boycotts and strikes, form all sports, like the NRL players are, to follow through and actually do it.

The fact is that they have no understanding of history or loyalty or gratitude, they are in the vast majority greedy, over paid, self important, naive, immature mercenaries.

If it were not for trail blazers like Margaret Court and other amateur sports people, Sam Stosur and Andy Murray would be playing for ribbons ... and still losing.

... btw, JudgeHolden has nailed it above.Thumbs Up

If they are fairdinkum the ladies should demand they name all the stadiums Billie Jean King Arena- she was the main reason female tennis players are the most overpaid athletes in sport.
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:54am

I would love to see all of the players who threaten boycotts and strikes, form all sports, like the NRL players are, to follow through and actually do it.

The fact is that they have no understanding of history or loyalty or gratitude, they are in the vast majority greedy, over paid, self important, naive, immature mercenaries.

If it were not for trail blazers like Margaret Court and other amateur sports people, Sam Stosur and Andy Murray would be playing for ribbons ... and still losing.

Martina Navratilova who said it is not playing in next years Oz Open in protestWink
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 8:08am
whats dear ol margy up to today?🌺

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 11:48am
Cabo, if you were a fair dinkum unhinged lefty, you would be scanning all of the regional church radio stations to see if they got her on for a comment, so they can pander to their audience of 527 people, who love to hear anyone confirm their opinions and their righteous opposition to same sex marriage - Then you would have something to be OUTRAGED about ... but you'd be sh!tout of luck, because I'm pretty sure she's busy today - it's Ladies day at the local tennis club today, and her turn to cook the scones.
Col. Jessep: You want answers? Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to. Col. Jessep: You want answers? Kaffee: I want the truth! Col. Jessep: You can't handle the truth!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Martina Navratilova who said it is not playing in next years Oz Open in protestWink

Good decision - who would she beat, apart from Stosur?
Col. Jessep: You want answers? Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to. Col. Jessep: You want answers? Kaffee: I want the truth! Col. Jessep: You can't handle the truth!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 11:50am
... an Andy Murray.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 11:59am

... an Andy Murray.
& Liz Smylie !
I've only backed one certainty in my life....& it lost !
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

... an Andy Murray.
& Liz Smylie !
She wouldn't beat Margaret Court - on or off the court.
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 1:03pm

An open letter from Martina Navratilova to Margaret Court Arena

Martina Navratilova

Published: June 1 2017 - 12:03PM

Dear Margaret Court Arena,

Sporting venues named for athletes, or any place, really, named for whoever, are so named for one reason. That reason is their whole body of work. In other words, it is not just for what this person did on the field, on the court, in politics, arts or science, for instance, but also for who they are as human beings.

When you were named after Margaret Court, it seemed like the right thing to do. After all, Rod Laver already had the big stadium and Court is one of the all-time greats. I had long ago forgiven Court for her headline-grabbing comments in 1990 when she said I was a bad role model because I was a lesbian.

What I did not know about until now were the unabashed racist statements she made in the '70s about apartheid in South Africa. Saying that South Africa dealt with the "situation" (meaning people of colour) much better than anywhere else in the world, particularly the US: what exactly did she mean by that?

Fast forward to today and Court's announcement of her boycott of Qantas because of its chief executive's support of same-sex marriage, which basically means support for the LGBT community in general. That was bad enough. Now she is doubling down with her ridiculous comments about older women luring young girls on the tour to parties to turn them into lesbians. It's a good thing she didn't name anyone as I am pretty sure she would be sued for defamation.

It is now clear exactly who Court is: an amazing tennis player, and a racist and a homophobe. Her vitriol is not just an opinion. She is actively trying to keep LGBT people from getting equal rights (note to Court: we are human beings, too). She is demonising trans kids and trans adults everywhere.

And now, linking LGBT to Nazis, communists, the devil? This is not OK. This is in fact sick and it is dangerous. Kids will suffer more because of this continuous bashing and stigmatising of our LGBT community.

How much blood will be on Margaret's hands because kids will continue to get beaten for being different? This is not OK. Too many will die by suicide because of this kind of intolerance, this kind of bashing and yes, this kind of bullying. This is not OK.

We celebrate free speech, but that doesn't mean it is free of consequences - not punishment, but consequences.

We should not be celebrating this kind of behaviour, this kind of philosophy. The platform people like Margaret Court use needs to be made smaller, not bigger.

Which is why I think it's time to change your name. And I think the Evonne Goolagong Arena has a great ring to it. Now there is a person we can all celebrate. On every level.

Yours,

Martina Navratilova

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 1:28pm

Cabo, if you were a fair dinkum unhinged lefty, you would be scanning all of the regional church radio stations to see if they got her on for a comment, so they can pander to their audience of 527 people, who love to hear anyone confirm their opinions and their righteous opposition to same sex marriage - Then you would have something to be OUTRAGED about ... but you'd be sh!tout of luck, because I'm pretty sure she's busy today - it's L<span style="font-size: 13.6px;">adies day</span> at the local tennis club today, and her turn to cook the scones.

ol margys talk of gays, curses & devils etc makes her sound like your garden variety islamic sheikh.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 1:32pm
Will the gay tennis players boycott tournaments in qatar and dubai based on their treatment of gays? a much bigger signal right?

or just one stadium in the most tolerant country on earth?
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 1:38pm
thanks for posting the letter Djebel, Margaret Court is certainly a fallen idol in my eyes, never knew about the apartheid stuff when she was playing, no internet then

Again I say when I heard she speaks in tongues that was it for me, however her amazing tennis record is there for all time
Winner of the TBV Champion Tipster Award
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 2:23pm
only thing i can say after reading navratilova's diatribe...

"New balls please" 🎾

Edited by Gay3 - 01 Jun 2017 at 7:41pm
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 2:51pm
Appropriate Cabo, I like,
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 3:19pm
I wouldn't watch her play, just in case one popped out - like Anna Bolic ...PinchSick
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Appropriate Cabo, I like,

deserves a little chuckle carioca
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 3:59pm

I wouldn't watch her play, just in case one popped out - like Anna Bolic ...PinchSick

clever.
I wonder if Common Sense . >
Will ever make a comeback.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 5:16pm
The arena is named after her because she is a great Australian tennis player, FULL STOP. I could not care care less what nutty beliefs she has- I'm not the morals police- plenty enough putting their hands up for that job already.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Is that it? The entire Margaret Court loves apartheid dossier?LOL

What more do you want? She was fine with Arthur Ashe being banned because he was black and that SA was doing a good job of apartheid.

"Not entirely faulty"- Margaret Court's ringing endorsement of apartheid. We have no idea what questions were put to her from that newspaper page.

Rod Laver won the South African Open in 1969 and 1970: Ken Rosewall in 1971. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 6:17pm
Don't you just love those who put today's new age ideas / values / trendy beliefs on those 50 years ago. Can only hope the same will be poo poo'd by others in 50 or 100 years time....that would only be fair imo !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 6:27pm
Actually I reckon there's a very good chance a few of the posters on here will be looked back on as absolute numties 100 years down the track. Unfortunately they will be long gone & others will bearing the brunt of their stupidity
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Don't you just love those who put today's new age ideas / values / trendy beliefs on those 50 years ago. Can only hope the same will be poo poo'd by others in 50 or 100 years time....that would only be fair imo !

true oneone, but I for one remember being upset at apartheid, no need for her to speak out against it at the time but to endorse it Ouch

not saying I protested or took any action but apartheid definitely made me feel uncomfortable
Winner of the TBV Champion Tipster Award
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 6:56pm
Fair enough Whale....it was a time when attitudes were changing quickly. I'd be surprised if her attitude re apathied had not softened now.....may be wrong. My point is so many areas have evolved... attitudes to religion , climate preservation , discipline , multiculturalism , & so on & so on. Not always for the better either imo. We seem to have made life so much more complicated nowadays. Can always remember my mother being really upset over the stolen generation debate. She honestly believed it was generally done to help indigenous kids.... that their was a lot of goodwill in the process. We now know that there were also many sad stories....however to brand that generation as monsters because of it was in her eyes a miscarriage. How many indigenous leaders would we have now if it had never happened ? Who knows ?
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:10pm
Changed or cycled back for the umpteenth time oneone?

Just depends where you are on the chocolate wheel at any given time.

I can just see you and maxie and carioca in Ancient Athens or Rome down at the baths stroking a few young fellas 'egos'(euphemism warningLOL ) griping about how young people have no respect for tradition any more.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:11pm

An open letter from Martina Navratilova to Margaret Court Arena

Dear Margaret Court Arena,

Sporting venues named for athletes, or any place, really, named for whoever, are so named for one reason. That reason is their whole body of work. In other words, it is not just for what this person did on the field, on the court, in politics, arts or science, for instance, but also for who they are as human beings.

When you were named after Margaret Court, it seemed like the right thing to do. After all, Rod Laver already had the big stadium and Court is one of the all-time greats. I had long ago forgiven Court for her headline-grabbing comments in 1990 when she said I was a bad role model because I was a lesbian.

What I did not know about until now were the unabashed racist statements she made in the '70s about apartheid in South Africa. Saying that South Africa dealt with the "situation" (meaning people of colour) much better than anywhere else in the world, particularly the US: what exactly did she mean by that?

Fast forward to today and Court's announcement denouncing the Qantas executive's support of same-sex marriage, which basically means support for the LGBT community in general.  That was bad enough. Now she’s doubling down with her ridiculous comments about older women luring young girls on the tour to parties to turn them into lesbians. It's a good thing she didn't name anyone as I am pretty sure she would be sued for defamation.

It is now clear exactly who Court is: an amazing tennis player, and a racist and a homophobe. Her vitriol is not just an opinion. She is actively trying to keep LGBT people from getting equal rights (note to Court: we are human beings, too). She is demonising trans kids and trans adults everywhere.

And now, linking LGBT to Nazis, communists, the devil? This is not OK. This is in fact sick and it is dangerous. Kids will suffer more because of this continuous bashing and stigmatising of our LGBT community.

How much blood will be on Margaret's hands because kids will continue to get beaten for being different? This is not OK. Too many will die by suicide because of this kind of intolerance, this kind of bashing and yes, this kind of bullying. This is not OK.

We celebrate free speech, but that doesn't mean it is free of consequences - not punishment, but consequences.

We should not be celebrating this kind of behaviour, this kind of philosophy. The platform people like Margaret Court use needs to be made smaller, not bigger.

Which is why I think it's time to change your name. And I think the Evonne Goolagong Arena has a great ring to it. Now there is a person we can all celebrate. On every level.

Yours,

Martina Navratilova

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:13pm
I can honestly tell you the Child Welfare Dept ripped the heart of many a white married women in my day, it had wasn't a bloody one way street I can tell ya,
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:23pm
Suggest a bit of both. Doubt climate concerns have ever been as prevalent as they are now ( rightly or wrongly ). Same for multiculturalism - with the push for all types of people , their attitudes , cultures , religion ect to be all lovey dovey so tolerance will prevail & everyone will be happy ever after. Well that approach has a long way to go before it is proven to be correct imo. Certainly hasn't been a winner in this country as yet !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:27pm
Hey Second Chance - can you please try reading AT LEAST the current pages posts before you go repeating a half page identical post . Sheesh !
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:41pm
Suspect most would have found the relevant post extremely hard to read, given the unfortunate problem that occurred when posted.

So just trying to assist, and so extremely sorry if you have a problem with that. 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Changed or cycled back for the umpteenth time oneone?

Just depends where you are on the chocolate wheel at any given time.

I can just see you and maxie and carioca in Ancient Athens or Rome down at the baths stroking a few young fellas 'egos'(euphemism warningLOL ) griping about how young people have no respect for tradition any more.

" Well it wasn't a house, more like a shoe box, but it was house to us" ......lololol.
tell the young today, and they'll never believe ya!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic