Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Another Life Another Time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Life Another Time
    Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 1:38am
Bit of a longish story but please bear with me.

Wife and I visited a favourite bookstore in Benalla today, and spent $98 on this and that, mainly Australiana and some 20th century world history.

As we left Cheryl noticed some free books outside and suggested we might as well have a look.  I noticed a very old thick hard-cover "Boys Own" type book and said I'd grab it as it reminded me of boyhood days when I read similar material. 

On examination it when we arrived home found an inscription inside the book cover: "To Dear Allan from Auntie Elvie".

You got it.  This was indeed a book, the book, that my mother's best friend (not really an auntie) had given to me in Melbourne sometime during the 1950's.  Perhaps lost or given away 50 years ago, here it was again in our lounge room.

Memories flooded, and indeed the odd tear in the eye.

Just thought I'd share the story with you, as I will with my sisters when we catch up in 10 days or so.

It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Jolls View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 1:41am
Thats spooky
Season 2012 = 102 Years since Collingwood has beaten Carlton in a Grand Final.
chef_d View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chef_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 2:21am
great yarn, what are the odds on that hah
The truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is. -WC
Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 2:39am
does it read any better this time around RFF?
Skipper View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 2:51am
Amazing story Runfer..

You ol' softy you Smile
Slim Pickens View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slim Pickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 5:00am
Don't think the bookshop was too happy with you Runfer, without the inscription they would've been able to put it in the paying section LOL
Gotta admit it is a bit ' doo doo doo doo'
Some omen tips for tomorrow,
Caulfield R9 # 11 Belong to many.
Doom. R7 #12 How Canny.
Chelt R7 # 7 Devil may care.
Happy reading.
Who says i'm dumb?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic