Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Alpine Eagle to Armidale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Beliskner Beliskner wrote:

Originally posted by Sworn Revenge Sworn Revenge wrote:

Originally posted by Beliskner Beliskner wrote:

Definitely a coup for Tassie breeding, really good to see quality stallions prospects such as Needs Further and Alpine Eagle are heading down there, sure Alpine Eagle would probably get a 'better' book of mares on the mainland, but still you know he'll probably get a huge book, depending on how big they set his fee.

With the likely fee still in the mid thousands it does become a decent proposition if you like the bloodline.

When you do your sums taking a mare from Vic to Tas and back is still going to be cheaper than going to a Toronado and Dundeel way more expensive.

Appreciate I'm not factoring in current market commerciality but I think for Vic breeders it's a viable option.

I didn't consider VIC breeders, he is certainly a prospect i'd have expected to be standing on the mainland.
it was mentioned today that they had had two offers to stand him at a mainland stud. one at 15 dealing to 12 and the other 12 fixed. Armidale are sticking with Tassie so hopefully the support is there. booked Spirit in today with a discount for making the booking on the day.
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
Sworn Revenge View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sworn Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 11:55pm
Nice one Slowdown. A mate of mine flew down to check a mare we had in goal to NF as well as attend the parade. He confirmed that those words came straight from Wolf Blass re Vic studs wanting to stand him. He reckoned close to 300 turned up which I reckon is a good result. I heard 20 booked to AE at the discount to sign up immediately.
It's only called gambling when you lose
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:22am
yep caught up with them yesterday Sworn, had a bit of a chat. great numbers yesterday and as I said I hope that Armidale gets the support for him.its a huge punt to bring a stallion of this quality to Tasmania. bringing in Ned and now Eddie means the quality of the Tasmanian herd has the opportunity to improve. we already do a great job when you looks at the likes of the horses who make the trip over the water. take Tshahitsi's win on Saturday. kicked their butts on a $2500 service fee. lets not forget what the other studs are also doing down here with Grenville bringing in the well bred stallions Lionhearted and Mawingo and Gee Gee Stud with Wordsmith and Clangalang.

Tasbreeders are starting to get younger people involved to continue working with the current members to continue their good work. I feel with future news in regard to bonuses and with the new stallions coming into the system Tasmanian racing and breeding can only continue to improve.

lets hope we can get some mainland horses over to our stallions. $1100 will get your mare across the water and back . vet fees, agistment etc you will find is a lot cheaper than the mainland. give it some thought breeders. Tasmanian breeding could do with your support.

should anyone have any questions I am sure I can help answer them. that's my Tasbreeders input but its not just about that. I am pretty proud of what is going on down here so I want to spruik it.

Cheers Slowdown

Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:54am
by Dave

$50,000 bonus for ALPINE EAGLE announced.

Armidale Stud the owners of ALPINE EAGLE have announced the “$50,000 ALPINE EAGLE 3YO Stakes Bonus” on any Group and Listed race in Australia.

It is payable to any horse sired by ALPINE EAGLE that wins any 3YO stakes race anywhere in Australia.

Armidale Stud proprietor David Whishaw commented, “We are excited by ALPINE EAGLE and we want to reward breeders and owners that support ALPINE EAGLE and his subsequent progeny”. He further stated that “we believe ALPINE EAGLE ticks all the boxes for becoming a successful sire and we have decided to put our money where our mouth is”

*Subject to terms and conditions outlined below.

Terms and Conditions of the $50,000 ALPINE EAGLE 3YO Stakes Bonus.

• $50,000.00 will be paid to the owner of any horse sired by ALPINE EAGLE in any 3YO stakes race in Australia from his first crop.
  • Must be sired by ALPINE EAGLE means Eligible horse.
  • A race winner means: the horse declared to be a winner by the Stewards at the time correct weight is declared.
  • In the event more than one ALPINE EAGLE sired horse is declared a winner by the Stewards at the time correct weight is declared, by way of a dead heat, that bonus will be divided equally between the two owners.
  • A Stakes race is defined as a schedule of ‘Group and Listed Races’ which are published by the Racing Australia at the commencement of each racing season and run during that season.
  • Payment of the ALPINE EAGLE 3YO Stakes Bonus will be made subject to the following:
    1. Armidale Stud is satisfied (acting reasonably) that the Owner or Owners are entitled to receive their respective proportion of the bonus under these Terms and Conditions; and
    2. Armidale Stud is satisfied (acting reasonably) that the winning horse(s) has tested negative to a swab taken by the Stewards pursuant to the Rules of Racing; and
    3. Armidale Stud receives confirmation from the Stewards that they are satisfied that there has been no breach of the Rules of Racing.
  • Once these conditions have been satisfied, the bonus will be paid to the eligible Owner or Owners as published by Racing Australia at the time of the win, within 30 Days of these conditions being met.
  • Without detracting from the spirit in which these bonuses have been offered, Armidale Stud reserve the right to amend these Terms and Conditions at any time.
  • All horses sired by ALPINE EAGLE in his first season at Stud (2017) are eligible for the Bonus.
  • The ALPINE EAGLE 3YO Stakes Bonus is to the value of $50,000 per “designated race”.
  • The “Bonus” include goods and service tax (GST)
  • An “Eligible horse” is entitled to one bonus only.
  • The bonus” does not constitute any part of the prize money payable under the Rules of Racing for a Designated Race and it is a condition of any Designated Race that the Race Bonus is not considered a prize under Australian Rules of Racing.
  • The Breeder (unless in the ownership),  the Trainer (unless in the ownership) and Jockey of any ALPINE EAGLE 3YO Stakes Bonus winner are not entitled to any part of the “Bonus”.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:58am
pretty good offer considering there are 5 races in Tassie alone not to mention the mainland racing. could be a real money spinner with a good horse. we were selling Spirit's first two but with that sort of a bonus we may have to reconsider on the A.E. foal.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:22am
It should be paid to the breeder.
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:24am
This $50000 bonus will not add any value to an Alpine Eagle yearling.

reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 1:48pm
I am inclined to lean to the breeder getting the bonus , too.
But anyway, its a nice incentive and good luck , Slowdown . Hope you crack it Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Stallions Inc View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stallions Inc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 5:38pm
Great looker, great pedigree, had enormous talent. Not much to dislike and just needs opportunity.
https://stallionsinc.wordpress.com/
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:02pm
The aim is to get an improved price to the breeder and encourage owners to purchase their yearlings at the same time however I can understand your thoughts Djebel. I think it will benefit the seller as mainland purchases should head this way for the best of them. Given Armidale's bonus is on any 3 year old stakes race in Australia it should create extra interest. with the likes of Darren Weir etc already coming to the sales I can see some good prices for his progeny.
the other thing is that there is many who breed to race their own. for a bonus of 50 grand I would expect their will be quite a few breeders retain their yearlings for a crack at the stakes races.

just my thoughts....
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:31pm
reductio ad absurdum
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 10:01pm
been waiting for this to come up on youtube. it was the promotional clip played on the day of the stallion promotion.

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 3:33pm
$ 8 Million in Extra Prizemoney – Unbelievable!
Tara Madgwick - Thursday, 13 July 2017
Not if you support Alpine Eagle in his first year at stud!

Armidale Stud are excited to launch the 3YO Alpine Eagle Stakes Bonus.

Alpine Eagle

Alpine Eagle

A $50,000 bonus will be on offer for every one of the 162 3YO Stakes races on the Australian racing calendar. With races ranging from 1000m to 2500m, this provides an unbelievable opportunity for Alpine Eagle's first crop. 

"It's a way of us supporting those who support us," said Armidale Stud manager David Whishaw.

"We believe if you breed to, or buy progeny by Alpine Eagle, there is a strong chance that you could be $50,000 better off.

"Not only should this be a nice incentive for those who breed to race, but it will provide added commercial appeal in the sales ring too."

The Alpine Eagle 3YO Stakes Bonus will be payable to the registered owner(s) of any of Alpine Eagle's Progeny from his first season at stud (2018 foals) that win a 3YO stakes race anywhere in Australia.

For further information and terms and conditions please visit www.armidalestud.com.au/50k-bonus/

Alpine Eagle (High Chaparral x Zephyria) won his only start at two (1100M) by five Lengths, won the Group II Autumn Classic (1800m) at Caulfield at three, and then backed up in the hotly contested Group I Australian Guineas (1600M) where he was very close second behind Wandjina beating Group I winners Stratum Star and Kermadec. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGKF6MfEBvc

Alpine Eagle stands his first season at Armidale Stud at a fee of $7,700. 

For more information contact;
David Whishaw 0407868269 david@armidalestud.com.au
Rhiannon Whishaw 0438302056 rhiannon@armidalestud.com.au
Robyn Whishaw 0419100634 robyn@armidalestud.com.au
Bluey View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:54pm
Good luck Slowdown... he is a very impressive looking horse, and as you say the $50,000 could easily be won in Tassie so I am sure his progeny will be well sort after in the your sales. Might even entice mainland buyers to leave their purchases with a Tassie trainer .   $50,000 nothing to sneeze at
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 9:44pm
that's right Bluey, a quick return. with a bit of luck he throws mainland quality horses and then you have plenty of races to choose from. a huge run in the Australian guineas. ran green and nearly won it. pretty exciting  breeding for Tasmania.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 9:17am
With A.E. bred along the same cross as Dundeel we can only hope we see some good ones down here. Armidale may have gotten it right twice with Needs Further and Alpine Eagle.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 1:13pm
That would be great to see them strike it right again.
animals before people.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 9:46pm
gets his first winner today. won by 4 lengths+

Alpine Eagle Off The Mark

Mark Smith - Sunday June 27

Heavily backed to make a winning career debut in a 1009m maiden on the Tapeta at Devonport on Sunday, Alpine Wolf made it look all so easy with a four-length romp to credit his sire Alpine Eagle with his first winner.

Ridden Daniel Ganderton for trainer Mark Ganderton, Alpine Wolf travelled sweetly just off the pace. He was still on the bit when cruising up to the leaders in the straight. Alpine Wolf extended his lead to four lengths on the line with little more than a shake of the reins.

https://twitter.com/TasBloodstock/status/1408982124934299656" data-oembed_provider="twitter" data-resizetype="noresize" data-title="Alpine Wolf" style="box-sizing: border-box; max-width: 400px; text-align: center;">
https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29va2llX2V4cGlyYXRpb24iOnsiYnVja2V0IjoxMjA5NjAwLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2hvcml6b25fdHdlZXRfZW1iZWRfOTU1NSI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJodGUiLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3R3ZWV0X2VtYmVkX2NsaWNrYWJpbGl0eV8xMjEwMiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250cm9sIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH19&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1408982124934299656&lang=en&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.breednet.com.au%2Fnews%2F14383%2Falpine-eagle-off-the-mark&sessionId=9f3f351b2ea2e53cd6700288c5e16179680a0350&theme=light&widgetsVersion=82e1070%3A1619632193066&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1408982124934299656" style="box-sizing: border-box; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 400px; height: 492px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;">

Charge Forward gelding Lacerate grabbed second, a half-length in front of the Wordsmith gelding Gee Gees So True.

A homebred for the Calabro family, Alpine Wolf is the second named foal and first winner for the 3-time winning West Quest (CAN) mare Copper Dancer.

A regular visitor to Alpine Eagle, Copper Dancer has a yearling filly by the son of High Chaparral (IRE) and revisited him last spring after missing in 2020.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:06pm

Robbie Griffiths' love affair with a sale-topping Alpine Eagle filly he bought in Tasmania can go to a new level on Saturday if she wins the Group 2 Thousand Guineas Prelude (1400m) at only her second start.

Throntari caught Griffiths' eye the moment she walked out of her box at the 2020 Magic Millions Yearling Sale and he, along with long-time bloodstock confidant Peter Ford, had no trouble bidding to $95,000 to purchase the striking black filly.

A standout in the initial crop of Armidale Stud's young stallion, Throntari is the first foal out of winning Musket mare Must Be Mink.

"I loved her when she stepped out in Tassie," Griffiths said.

"I thought she was the jewel of the crown over there - a beautiful, black Alpine Eagle filly, very much like her dad, who was an exceptional racehorse.

"She actually ended up topping that sale.

"She had me at hello, we bought her and luckily for us she's evolved into the filly that she has."

animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:04pm
I've been noticing a spate of SA winners from him lately; as expected they're needing more than their 2yo year to start hitting their straps.
I was amazed when Tassie was able to procure him & as ever, Armidale are doing a great job with him, especially as he suits so many mares, no doubt one of the main reasons for going after him Heart

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 6:25am
he is going great with the extra year on board now. I know that the trainers with the winners have just about all suggested they are well above average. 
I have sent Rebel and Renegade's dam to Armidale to foal out their full brother/sister then to be covered by Alpine Eagle. If they continue to perform i am considering putting the resultant foal through the sale. 

Alpine Eagle covered 138 mares last season and will be somewhere around 80 this year. Doing a great job and doing Tassie proud. 
It will be interesting to see how he goes over Needs Further mares. already bringing in the sex balancing of Lady Giselle as per Mystic Journey. 
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 11:11am
Anything by High Chaparral deserves a look for stud duty.  Yes you will get a cross of Lady Giselle in the Needs further cross you get the exact same Special cross in him also through Fairy Bridge and Nureyev.  That has seemed the best cross for Special.  Hope your foals are good ones for you Slowdown.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 5:20pm
Cheers Furious, i have a great looking gelding here by him now a two year old. haven't rushed him into any form of work as its pretty clear they need a bit of time. i have also still got a small share of the filly Bill Ryan purchased by him out of Spirit. 
H.C. sons really seem to be doing the job. fantastic opportunity for us down here. 
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 6:43pm
I see the Griffiths team has thrown Throntari into the deep end ie a Group 2 race at Caulfeld on Saturday.  That after her debut win in a 3yo maiden on a Heavy 10 at Wangaratta.

Huge ask given the WFA plus penalties conditions.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 3:55pm
And runs last.  Stable needs a good foot up the ass.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 4:00pm
Looks a scrawny little thing
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 8:28am
a good result last night in the TASBRED Maiden. 1st,3rd and 4th and a fantastic finish by the winner Dawn Eagle. bred in Deloraine so a truly local win. 
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 3:34pm
and another today. alpine flyer wins at 2nd start in south oz
Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 10:56pm
Good to see him getting some winners as early 3yo's Slowdown. Hope he can be another High Chap success story down under. He should be a force to be reckoned with in Tas for the next decade and i hope to see some over here too.

If the opportunity arises in my circles in the future i would love to race a share in one. The High Chap's are rippers and Alpine had class and a turn of foot.

So far i've had a High Chap, a So You Think, currently got a Toronado and a Contributer and still on the lookout for a Dundeel, Tivaci and Alpine. 
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 7:17am
gday Vivarchi, what is standing out to me so far is the winners records

Alpine Wolf - 2 wins from two starts
Verbano - 1 win from one start
Throntari - won first start - 2nd start was in a stakes race
Queenborough Flyer 1 win from one start
Speak no Eagle - 1 win from 1 start
The Map - 1 win from 1 start
Alpine Flyer - won 2nd start
Dawn Eagle - won at 5th start but with two 2nd placings prior. 

pretty good start. there have been others tried as two year olds but apart from the odd one it seems pretty clear that they need to be 3 to perform.

i will send you a p.m. of a trainer down here who has quite a few . it might be of interest to you if you are chasing a share.
cheers Slowdown.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>