Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

AL SAMER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AL SAMER
    Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 9:05pm
seems to be kicking along ok. group placegetter and city winners from limited runners.

what are peoples thoughts on him so far and his fee?
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 9:15pm
Going along ok BAZZ, even given his yearlings have been largely been shunned by buyers.

ps happy birthday fella.  Clap

pss the fact you're posting here and now suggests the missus isn't into giving you a special birthday present this evening.  Cry

\
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 11:00pm
got a yearling filly myself. nice type, looks as though she might go early.
Horse breeding is like religion, if you don't really believe in what you are doing it is purely social
pacific View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 11:42pm
ditto shiner...big scopey fella
BAZZ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 8:40am
all presents taken care of runfer....Thumbs Up
and thx
yogy bear View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogy bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 9:52am
emirates sent plenty of good mares to him first season. Then his crops and quality dwindle after that. I agree he is going well, but think he will fall away
ardroy View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ardroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 5:21pm
Not so sure Yogy. We have seen other stallions find a nice winner or two in their first season  and be able to overcome the lighter seasons, or in the case of a horse like Statue of Liberty - find one above average horse, miss two seasons and still be able to command big books at a higher than original fee
stallion View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stallion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 8:46pm
i was talking to Emirates Last week about Mutawaajid and Al Samer apparently they are dealing with Al Samer, and are supporting him with top mares  this year.
yogy bear View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogy bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by ardroy ardroy wrote:

Not so sure Yogy. We have seen other stallions find a nice winner or two in their first season  and be able to overcome the lighter seasons, or in the case of a horse like Statue of Liberty - find one above average horse, miss two seasons and still be able to command big books at a higher than original fee
my issue is that he was supported with above average emirates mares first season. These mares justified a stallion standing above 10k .2nd and 3rd season he did not cover that quality of mare. So i think ppl may be jumpin on bandwagon a tad early. Just a theory however
pacific View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 11:56pm
A stallion will make it despite the mares he gets.  Whether the stud supports him is of very little consequence to anyone who looks at the yearlings they continually serve up at sales, they have no idea....
yogy bear View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogy bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 8:25am
so what about fu peg and elusive quality, breeders jumped on the bandwagon because of some good results from very top mares. Then we saw their true colours. Not every stallion gets an equal opportunity
ardroy View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ardroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 9:26am
Your right Yogy,  many stallions fail due to lack of opportunity rather than lack of ability. The odds say your right about Al Samer, but if he can find a quality horse from this first crop, the rest probably doesn't matter.
take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 12:52pm
i am probably sending my mare devastate to him this year
dont put mouth in gear before engaging brain

www.marrss.com
yogy bear View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogy bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 1:22pm
but are his top horses this season because of the quality of mare he recieved, and can he replicate this from an inferior mare in his 2nd and 3rd crops. Does his commercial appeal drop off and then breeders that are jumping on bandwagon this yr lose big time. Starcraft is in the same situation
shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 1:26pm
12th on the current season sire table and nothing cheaper than him ahead except Bearcat in WA I would say he is quite good value.
Horse breeding is like religion, if you don't really believe in what you are doing it is purely social
stallion View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stallion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 3:57pm
i think for the price Emirates are selling him at, and the trainers are still buying them. so there must be some good news to come. Already 7 winners this year. why not take a punt. Lonhro never fired until his third season and now look.
Shotover View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 4:00pm
Such a beautiful mating, Al Samer x Devastate.  Deserves a SW.

What about the younger brother May Haab?  A NSW option for those who can't make it to melbourne.
yogy bear View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogy bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 11:01pm
15k yearling average is hardly selling well. My issue is solely the bandwagon ppl jump on so quick. His stats are distorted because of his good first crop of mares and in the long run this will balance out
take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 8:47am
what about all the stallions whose first few books were of poor to ordinary in quality? who have bad firures,are their figures distorted too?
and why else apart from pedigree would people "jump on the bandwaggon", could it be performance? whatever the reason for it

www.marrss.com
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 9:47am
yogy, you keep referring to these first season "good mares" and I'm flat out trying to find any that I would consider "good".  Sure, there are quite a few out of very good families however the black type is not up close ie dam or her dam nor is there black type for any of the progeny apart from a couple of minor staked placed runners.

I don't have the time to check out each and every mare however I did look at most of the ones with named 2yr olds and certainly the ones with runners.

I'm of the opinion that he has done a good job considering what was sent to him and that most will improve as three year olds.  He raced and won as a two year old as he was an above average race horse.  If you want his progeny to run and win as two year olds then you need to send him mares who will produce a two year old or a genuine black type producer who could be sent to anything and still come up with a runner.  The latter are few and far between and the former are busy up in the Hunter "making" first crop stallions.  Wink

I think he is good value for money especially if they are prepared to deal and the bonus is that he is out of one of the best female families in the book.  Given his inbreeding I would be inclined to go for an outcross and am looking at him for a mare that has no ND.   Mind you, the mating with Devastate is very interesting due to the dupe of Pas De Nom.  Good luck with that. 

ardroy View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ardroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 1:27pm
I think Yogy has other reasons to "knock" this stallion and he should declare his interest. A quick read through his posts might reveal the truth.
yogy bear View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogy bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 12:20am
sorry that i have an opinion. Read into it what you want
shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 1:44am
I think you just have to accept him for what he is, a good value breed to race prospect. No, he is not a easter sale prospective sire but his price is not indicative of that and with winners on the ground and a price drop he is good value and may well do better in the future. Remember his oldest runner are only 2 turning 3 so to jump off the bandwagon at this stage would probably be premature.
take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 1:42pm
"I think he is good value for money especially if they are prepared to deal and the bonus is that he is out of one of the best female families in the book.  Given his inbreeding I would be inclined to go for an outcross and am looking at him for a mare that has no ND.   Mind you, the mating with Devastate is very interesting due to the dupe of Pas De Nom.  Good luck with that. "

given the colt that i have by danbird, (triple pas de nom. 5 natalma etc, so much for 6 legs and eyes like marty feldman ) i was going to send her again to him,but now that he is in south oz, thats out of the question at present,so the next best thing to me was al samer plenty of good mares dups in the mix with him

i am sending another mare to keffelstein possibly two,a few people on here have knocked him (keffelstein) for whatever reasons, but i have seen his stock,and seen him in the flesh (hes got  jowels like bob menzies)and seen his stock at the races (Miss inform etc) and no, i have no interest in him apart from supporting him as a sire this year

www.marrss.com
stallion View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stallion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 1:57pm
I agree with take2, Good racehorse, exceptional pedigree. i had a look on the stud book and they were not top mares. So Al Samer is doing a good job to have 7 individual winners in his first crop. i spoke to Eddie and they are dealing at 4,400. for me that is good value
choppy View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 8:04pm
We are in NSW and sent a mare to May'Haab last year and sending her back this year. He is a really nice type, and we are just breeding to race. Thought Al Samer did pretty well this year.
Count to Ten before opening your mouth!!
BAZZ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 8:45pm
good to see he had his first listed winner on caulfield cup day  with mr chard winning impressively.Clap
shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 11:59pm
and up to 10th on the 2nd season sires table with only limited runners. Still should get even higher when my filly wins the Karrakatta Plate...................Big smile
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 9:53am
Hope she does for you Shiner. Named as yet?
shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 10:02am
Not yet but she has had a prep and just spelling until December. She is full siter to Samer's Choice who has won his first 2 trials so we are hoping.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic