Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

AFL 2017/2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 8:11pm
Do you have any preferences for the D's?
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 8:33pm
Anyone but Sydney, or GWS but that can't happen in the first week anyway.

I will be pretty confident against Port, even over there as we play Adelaide Oval well, as well as the Tigers. If I was forced to choose I would probably lean towards playing Richmond as I think there is a strong chance that they would crumble under the pressure, and I like the way we match up against them.
In the extremely unlikely event that we were to play a team currently below us then I would like to avoid Essendon. On their day the Bombers are a handful because they can score so heavily, we also can't cover Daniher (I don't think we can rely on him to kick zero goals, 6 behinds in the first half like he did last time).

I don't really rate the Bulldogs and I don't think there is any doubt that West Coast would be just making up the numbers should they get in.

I will be very happy if it were to finish as it currently stands. I would take my chances against Port in Adelaide, Geelong at the MCG (the game would surely be played there rather than at Geelong), Adelaide in Adelaide and GWS in the Grand Final. Obviously I am projecting the results for the later rounds.

Of course they do say be careful what you wish for..
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 8:41pm
I should probably point out that we are not certain to make the finals yet so I will really be happy just to be there.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:04pm
The snow's on Arjen, so are you posting your thoughts re the Demons from Hotham?  Wink
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 9:59am
I know you are only joking but I have never actually seen the snow in this country. I have been in Europe 3 times at Christmas/New Years and seen snow but never been to the snow in Australia.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 12:40am
Hahahaha! ... F off Eddie Maguire ... it was a 50 against Betts all day you whinging biatch! ... if it wasn't, it only made up for the 30 home town decisions during the game!!!

Gooooo The Swannnies!!!!Hug

Wow, what a game! Adelaide are soooo good, but really if they couldn't take advantage tonight - Rory Sloane got almost as many free kicks as the Swans, and conceded none? ... really ... who said umpires don't get intimidated! - then they wont beat the Swans again this season.

Come on Richmond ... it's August! ... do what you dodo well ... disappoint your fans and hand us 4th place!!Thumbs Up

Worst game Rohan has played in months, but who cares! ...Wink

Good Luck to the D's and the Bombers and all the other villager's teams ... Big smile
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:13pm
By the letter of the law it was a 50m penalty as the umpire hadn't called play on but no one would question that Mills had gone off his mark and had clearly played on. The umpire should have just used some common sense and reset the mark rather than compounding his original error (not calling play on) by also giving a 50m penalty.
There was also a contentious decision a bit later on when an Adelaide player, I forget who it was, was lining up for goal from about 40m out and a Sydney player, I think it was Hannebery, clearly went inside the protected area and should have been called for a 50m penalty. The shot at goal missed.

In saying that the umpires did not cost Adelaide the game and if anything, over the course of the entire game, favoured them.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:19pm
Not a Crows fan but was at the game last night, and I still can't fathom how they lost that. But not a bad loss for them I think. Can't see the Swans beating them again, Crows were clearly the better team. GWS the only danger for mine.
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:25pm
I would still rate Adelaide as a stronger chance than Sydney as well. I have the Giants clearly as the team to beat.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 5:40am
Swans only won because they received the "get square" from the umpires in the last quarter.

At one point, my son mentioned that the frees were something like 24-8 to the Crows, and St Rory had 7 of them! ... he is certainly the flavour of the month ... finished with 8 for and just 1 against ... pretty good when you consider he made 14 "legal" tackles.

My feelings are, that if they meet on the MCG, the crowd is less of a factor, and it's a different game if the Swans get an even break from the maggots - that has to happen some day, right?Cry 
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 1:11pm
I think 11 goals 14 behinds to 13 goals 5 behinds is a key reason why Sydney won. The Swans simply took their chances while Adelaide was erratic in front of goal.

The Crows also won the inside 50 count 63-42.

Goal kicking accuracy usually evens out in the long run, unless you are St Kilda, so I think it is fair to suggest that Sydney would need to play better should the teams meet in the Finals.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 1:50am
Sorry, I got that free kick count wrong - 28-14 - how embarrassing!Embarrassed... very similar to the 20-8 they copped in the GF last year ... but who's counting!Wink

If the umpiring is anywhere close to fair next time they meet, then Adelaide will need to play better, because they also need to overcome their awful record against the Swans.

I won't hold my breath if it is in Adelaide again, but if it's at the MCG, who knows ... might be neutral?

Anyway, there is clearly very little between them.

Melbourne and Essendon look to have both locked up a finals spot - I'm confident that the D's will flog the 'pies for you Arjen!Thumbs Up

Still a few twists and turns, and interesting games coming up to sort out some log jams ... Swans will need to flog Carlton to give themselves any chance of pinching 4th, Port will no doubt towel up the Suns, then St Kilda v Richmond on Sunday arvo may be pivotal for both sides ... Big smile

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 6:58pm

As a Woods supporter I've taken the opportunity to comment on Tim Watson's revelations as per that below.  Further input from TBV members most welcome.

ps no taking the p1ss unless it's really funny.  Wink

ESSENDON great Tim Watson has revealed what was on the agenda at Collingwood’s board meeting on Tuesday night.

Vision filmed by Channel 7 through the Holden Centre windows exposed a variety of objectives the Magpies are seeking to address via the whiteboard in the room.

Watson discussed the various discussion topics on SEN radio.

They were:

— A restructure of the list management division  That really means get rid of the dead wood, which sounds like a great idea given its incompetence over recent seasons.

— Providing a mentor for the senior coach  A mentor?  That makes sense, but only providing it's someone the coach can bounce matters off in strictest confidence.

— Improving specific areas of Collingwood’s game, including kicking skills, goal kicking, tackling and ruck work  What the #!* have the phalanx of specialty coaches been doing over the last few years? Shocked

— More input from the club’s leadership group in list management and recruiting.  See point 1 above - Jesus wept, surely the list management and recruiting people should have the competence to take considered decisions.

— Formal education for player leadership.  You're either a leader or you're not, full stop

— Review and repair Total Player Payments (TPP) model over the next 12 months  no comment

— Greater transparency in future staff appointments  In other words the Gubby Allen appointment was a total #!* disaster at every level

— A more visible head of football why did they get rid of the marvelous Neil Balme, whoops see Graeme Allen above, and  

— A staff survey wanted more opportunities for player/coach feedback so there was a systemic breakdown in the up/down business model? and greater evidence for living the club’s values  Wank talk

And nothing about Eddie's recent failures as President, or Pert's as CEO.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 8:57pm
At the moment Lance has kicked more goals than Gary has had touches.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

at the moment Lance has kicked more goals than Gary has had touches.

Where are you Doc?  Tongue
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 2:26pm
I was in a private box at the game, and I'm just sobering up now!BeerOuch

I said to one of my mates at 3/4 time, I reckon Carlton will be thinking Mad Monday, and the Swans will let rip ... didn't expect that!Shocked

What do you say about Buddie? 

Rohan had another sloppy game, 3 goals I think, and half a dozen tackles that nobody else in the game could have made ... I don't think there is another player that possesses his "elite" straight line speed (would have been an Olympian for sure if not for footy) ... and he would get more of the ball if the Swans were not so "Buddiecentric" ... just doing his job, his "breakout" game will be something to see Wink
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

As a Woods supporter I've taken the opportunity to comment on Tim Watson's revelations as per that below.  Further input from TBV members most welcome.

ps no taking the p1ss unless it's really funny.  Wink

ESSENDON great Tim Watson has revealed what was on the agenda at Collingwood’s board meeting on Tuesday night.

Vision filmed by Channel 7 through the Holden Centre windows exposed a variety of objectives the Magpies are seeking to address via the whiteboard in the room.

Watson discussed the various discussion topics on SEN radio.

They were:

— A restructure of the list management division  That really means get rid of the dead wood, which sounds like a great idea given its incompetence over recent seasons.

— Providing a mentor for the senior coach  A mentor?  That makes sense, but only providing it's someone the coach can bounce matters off in strictest confidence.

— Improving specific areas of Collingwood’s game, including kicking skills, goal kicking, tackling and ruck work  What the #!* have the phalanx of specialty coaches been doing over the last few years? Shocked

— More input from the club’s leadership group in list management and recruiting.  See point 1 above - Jesus wept, surely the list management and recruiting people should have the competence to take considered decisions.

— Formal education for player leadership.  You're either a leader or you're not, full stop

— Review and repair Total Player Payments (TPP) model over the next 12 months  no comment

— Greater transparency in future staff appointments  In other words the Gubby Allen appointment was a total #!* disaster at every level

— A more visible head of football why did they get rid of the marvelous Neil Balme, whoops see Graeme Allen above, and  

— A staff survey wanted more opportunities for player/coach feedback so there was a systemic breakdown in the up/down business model? and greater evidence for living the club’s values  Wank talk

And nothing about Eddie's recent failures as President, or Pert's as CEO.

haven't had a smile off my face since 10.30 this morning....loving the Buckley Haters' agony...

LOL
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 1:26pm
Buckley signing for another two years, means they must be waiting for Ross Lyon to finish up in the West so he can move back to Melbourne and ruin another team.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Buckley signing for another two years, means they must be waiting for Ross Lyon to finish up in the West so he can move back to Melbourne and ruin another team.

seriously...why the hell does Bucks cop it when Lyons and Brad Scott are far worse....?

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

seriously...why the hell does Bucks cop it when Lyons and Brad Scott are far worse....?

Cannot for the life of me work out how Lyons still has a job
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

in the past few months Brad Scott came up as a possible coach for Collingwood next year. I couldn't fathom that, he is spectacularly unsuccessful with North
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 4:09pm
Don't follow football much and don't really know the players by sight apart from a few stars. Was reading the Herald Sun today, saw a picture of Nat Fyfe being tackled by Heppell of Essendon I think. My first reaction was since when does Fremantle have women playing for it, he fair dinkum looked at first glance like a butch, overweight , carpet munching female
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 4:35pm
What can you say about the D's, but very unlucky Arjen? Unhappy

Interesting finals series coming up, everyone has their chance with the week off. Two of the top 4 come in on losses, minor premiers losing 2 in a row ... has a team ever won the GF having lost their last two home and away games? ... I'm sure it wasn't the plan!
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 10:01pm
Dustin Martin signs for 7 years @ Tigers=$8.4 mill $1.2 mill a year, turned down $10 mill from Kangas
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 7:37pm
Done good for a Sydney boy!Thumbs Up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 7:40pm
Doc we knew he was one of yours immediately after seeing the tatts.  Wink  
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 7:58pm
Yep, he wasn't far from Bankstown at all, just straight down the M5.  
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 12:01pm
How is Dustin Martin a 'Sydney boy'?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 2:55am
Yep, learned his football with the Campbelltown Blues ... qualified as a GWS Academy Selection if they had been half smart!
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:55am
He grew up in Castlemaine. He was only in Sydney for about a year. He 'learnt' his football at Castlemaine and then improved it at Bendigo.

As for the GWS Academy, the Giants didn't even exist at the time so I am not sure what you expected them to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>