Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

AFL 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 51525354>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 4:17pm
if Melbourne and WC play GF next year...they can thumb their noses at the club...Thumbs Up
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

Exactly Sub, I would take Zac Dawson before both of them

we have enough mediocrity already...Ouch

Scharenberg, Langdon, Keefe, Williams, Varcoe, Wells Phillips, Aish,, Sinclair, Maynard 

Smith and Goldy are the class...

Scharenberg will be very good.....IF he can get fit. Maynard I like too.

IF he can get fit...that's the bottom line...

Langdon looked special early on, so did Williams...Tom will probably still kick on but Marley has developed into a little thug and should be moved on...

Goldy has been shabbily used by Bucks...played best on ground in his micro season this year...but still got the chop...surprised he's willing to take more...other clubs would welcome him with open arms...

Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 5:44pm
Just wondering how the Geelong can trade away their third first round pick and have the AFL sign off on it. When the AFL stated you had to use at least 2 first round picks in 4 years?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:23pm
told ya...

THE PRE-FINALS bye will be back in 2017.

Clap
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Toll Road Toll Road wrote:

Just wondering how the Geelong can trade away their third first round pick and have the AFL sign off on it. When the AFL stated you had to use at least 2 first round picks in 4 years?

Have they acquired a future pick from another team?
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 6:29am
Originally posted by Beliskner Beliskner wrote:

Have they acquired a future pick from another team?
I don't think so.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 6:32am

told ya...

Clap
Pity it's back Ouch I think it takes away from the whole finals match and gives clubs a chance to have injured players return like the Bulldogs did. No real point finishing in the top 4 now and getting the advantage to the weeks off.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 10:04am
What on earth is Geelong doing. Caddy to Richmond and Richmond sent picks 24, 56 & 64 to Geelong. I think Richmond are the big winners in this trade. To me Geelong look to have lost the plot like Hawthorn
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:49pm
What type of player is he besides being a 'big bodied midfielder'?
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 2:47pm
Josh Caddy was a nice player but he's always going to be cream on top, not what makes your team good.

Sam Menegola looked a better player than Caddy so if there is only room in the team for one "big bodied midfielder" then Menegola looks the one.  Pretty simple really.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:04pm
Menegola does look good and is in the best 22 for Geelong. Caddy is also a very good player at 24 years of age.  At most Caddy is a B grade player in the cats side. I just think he was worth more than what they got for him. Richmond are the big winner out of that trade.
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 3:14pm
I agree Richmond got the better deal but it's not as lop-sided as you put it.

Caddy was a 7th overall draft pick that has proven to be a nice talent who should have a nice 200 game career.  Unlikely to ever win a best & fairest or win you a Grand Final.  

As a Cat fan, I liked him because he had a crack but it's not devastating that he's leaving.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 7:39am
Didn't Geelong use the compensation pick they got from Gold Coast as compensation for Gary Ablett to get Caddy?
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 9:09am

told ya...

Clap
Pity it's back Ouch I think it takes away from the whole finals match and gives clubs a chance to have injured players return like the Bulldogs did. No real point finishing in the top 4 now and getting the advantage to the weeks off.

• 7 other Finals teams had the bye too.
  • Do only the bottom four Finals clubs have injuries?
  • Fans want to see the best team win. Competition wants to see the best team win. Gives everyone a chance to put their best team on the park.
  • Big advantages remain for teams finishing higher up the ladder.
  • Top 4 teams still have the double chance.
  • Top 2 teams of each quartet get the home final.
  • Bulldogs had nothing, played finals in WA and Western Sydney, zero advantages, except brilliant management, coaching and a team full of hungry, talented men.

Mayor
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Mayor Mayor wrote:

told ya...

Clap

• Fans want to see the best team win. Competition wants to see the best team win. Gives everyone a chance to put their best team on the park.
  • Bulldogs had nothing, played finals in WA and Western Sydney, zero advantages, except brilliant management, coaching and a team full of hungry, talented men.

That's the whole point Mayor of finishing in the top 4. It's reward for being the best and having a well manage list throughout the year. Now that they have a bye and a weeks rest for all the sides in the finals the advantage is taken away. I don't think the doggies would have done so well if not for the bye. They got very important players back from injury with that week off.  had they had to go straight into the first round of the finals I think they wouldn't have gone so deep and won the GF

Teams that finish in the top 4 had to many byes and days between games. They lost momentum IMHO.

I'm glad the doggie won the flag it was a Cenderella story.  But do you think if Sydney, Hawthorn or Geelong had won the flag the AFL would have the bye?
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 10:07am
Just looking forward to Supercoach next year Cotchin might be a cheap steal. Cotchin should get even more cheap easy touches now with Caddy & Dion P getting the hard ball out to him
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:36am

Originally posted by Mayor Mayor wrote:

told ya...

Clap

That's the whole point Mayor of finishing in the top 4. It's reward for being the best and having a well manage list throughout the year. Now that they have a bye and a weeks rest for all the sides in the finals the advantage is taken away. I don't think the doggies would have done so well if not for the bye. They got very important players back from injury with that week off.  had they had to go straight into the first round of the finals I think they wouldn't have gone so deep and won the GF

Teams that finish in the top 4 had to many byes and days between games. They lost momentum IMHO.

I'm glad the doggie won the flag it was a Cenderella story.  But do you think if Sydney, Hawthorn or Geelong had won the flag the AFL would have the bye?

you say that good teams manage their lists...but the Doggies had some of the worst luck imaginable with injuries...(as did Freeo)...and almost certainly cost them points which might have placed them higher...I like the idea of teams going into finals with the best and fittest players available... so I voted for the bye...

the comp will benefit from not just being a 4 team final series...no point having a top eight if only four can win...

Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 12:02pm
All teams manage their list but some manage their lists better than others. The doggies did very well with their injuries and how they covered them. That speaks volumes about their medical staff, fitness people, coaches and the list manager who built their current list.

Freo did have injuries but their list depth got found out and they didn't have the players to cover the injuries. Look at Gold Coast I think something is really wrong there with the amount of injuries and long term injuries they get. It might be the fitness people or medical staff?

I think you have to be in it to win and anyone can win in the final 8. Indeed you will have a better chance of winning it finishing in the top 4.  But that is reward for finishing with more wins than the other sides.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 12:05pm

Just looking forward to Supercoach next year Cotchin might be a cheap steal. Cotchin should get even more cheap easy touches now with Caddy & Dion P getting the hard ball out to him

you can take Cotchin...Dead

just give me first pick in the draft...Clap
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 12:08pm
First pick could be arranged but question is who to take with it? There are some gun kids coming up this year like the Bonte & Cripps. I think these guys will be in plenty of the Classic game sides. I'd be wanting them if they were still around in the Draft game if they were in around my pick Thumbs Up
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 12:25pm

First pick could be arranged but question is who to take with it? There are some gun kids coming up this year like the Bonte & Cripps. I think these guys will be in plenty of the Classic game sides. I'd be wanting them if they were still around in the Draft game if they were in around my pick Thumbs Up

you do josh...what odds Danger going first?

Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 12:28pm

you do josh...what odds Danger going first?

Yes he'll be gone by the time I generally get a pick Ouch Can Fyfe bounce back this year?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 12:35pm
wait and see on Fyfe...surprised Freeo are treating Barlow so shabbily..

Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 12:44pm
Agree about Barlow. Do you think that might have something to do with Ross the Boss? Ross did the same  thing to Luke Ball at St Kilda. Said his time was up and didn't give him much opportunity. Ball then went to Collingwood and played for several more years in their best 22
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 1:00pm
talking about fantasy and Barlow...first year I played, took the young Barlow and he was killing it with massive points...then, of course, he broke his leg...always had a soft spot for him....

Ross Lyon is an odd-bod...seems a nice bloke but can't change his spots...

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 1:09pm
draft order...Danger, Treloar, Gawn, Shaw, Boyd, Hodge, McVeigh... 

I intend taking all the mids named as backs...lack of good defenders cruelled me last year...
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 1:28pm
You did well taking Barlow in his first year. He's been a gun for many years since. I think given the chance he can still pump out the big fantasy scores. Only problem I see with Barlow for next year is if he is in Ross's plans?

I'm going for gun midfielders and at least one gun ruck. Then I'm looking at DDP players forward and defence.

Treloar is a jet and should have won the pies B&F
Big Maxie is a gun and you did well getting him this year
McVeigh & Hodge are a little long in the tooth for me now.

Williams (GWS) had a big break out year and I'll be watching him closely
Pittard (Port) seems to be the go to man in the Port defence. He just doesn't seem to pump out to many huge scores
Laird (Adel) worth every cent of his asking price.
Docherty (Carl) I won't be making the same mistake again leaving him out. I think he'll be better value than Heath Shaw early on in the year. I'll get Shaw later on when he's cheaper.

Dyson Heppell (Ess) might really come back from the year off and slay them next year?
Duty will lose his DDP next year and I don't think he'll be value for money

Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 3:49pm
The media have used the word ruthless to describe the Hawks ditching
Lewis & Mitchell .. Maybe I'm ruthless too as I'm cool with it.
They were the past, o'meara and Tom Mitchell our future so bring it on.
I'd bet that the 2 recruits have better yrs than the 2 traded.

Hopefully o'meara goes mental - Mitchell will do well unless injured no doubt.
Also quite hopeful re vickery doing a job and bringing the ball to ground for the dangerous small forwards an area where the Hawks clearly were lacking last yr.

Can they be a sniff next yr? Probably wrong person to ask as I'm so 1 eyed
But I think if everything clicks you never know.

Freo the big improvers from this yr...1: 1 you might wanna consider backing up on them to atleast make the 8.. Decent odds and heaps of quality coming in / back in to that team.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 4:03pm

draft order...Danger, Treloar, Gawn, Shaw, Boyd, Hodge, McVeigh... 

I intend taking all the mids named as backs...lack of good defenders cruelled me last year...

Way too old. McVeigh especially. Money is in GWS defenders. Zac Williams was a star for me this year, but you cant go wrong with any of their backline, except Davis.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

The media have used the word ruthless to describe the Hawks ditching
Lewis & Mitchell .. Maybe I'm ruthless too as I'm cool with it.
They were the past, o'meara and Tom Mitchell our future so bring it on.
I'd bet that the 2 recruits have better yrs than the 2 traded.

Hopefully o'meara goes mental - Mitchell will do well unless injured no doubt.
Also quite hopeful re vickery doing a job and bringing the ball to ground for the dangerous small forwards an area where the Hawks clearly were lacking last yr.

Can they be a sniff next yr? Probably wrong person to ask as I'm so 1 eyed
But I think if everything clicks you never know.

Freo the big improvers from this yr...1: 1 you might wanna consider backing up on them to atleast make the 8.. Decent odds and heaps of quality coming in / back in to that team.

OMG...you are a case, EI...

get a life that isn't brown and gold...

Mitchell (S) and Lewis will have huge years with their new clubs...like Johnno and Heater...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 51525354>
  Share Topic