Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

AFL 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AFL 2016
    Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 8:43am
The cats look the obvious improvers from last season,
with danger, selwood, henderson + menzel (hopefully playing a full season).
also have a very nice draw:
playing last seasons top 4 only once each (only play port once too, who should improve).
+ the expected weaker teams:  giants, lions, ess - twice each.
pretty much makes them a lock for the top 8 + a solid chance of top 4.
market hasn't missed them..so not sure if punting value.

if you fancy the hawks to make it 4 in a row, probably best to wait until
after rd 9 or so. have 6 "losable" games in that 1st 9 + it would be reasonable
to expect them to start a tad slowly...follwed by 5 games that they should win..
so say 6 + 3 after 9 would be acceptable...even 5+4 not a disaster.
+ the predictable "too old" talk will come out if they show any signs of being past it
so could get a juicy price by then.

the dogs were exciting last season but have no hope of winning it imo..
syd look on the way out - any news with buddy?
port could be back up there
the roos have missed their window, were never good enough imo.
the 2 wa teams will be up there, you'd expect
+ maybe ade another in the mix.

i'd like to see y'ablett play the whole yr - as any footy fan would, i imagine.
we all want to see the best.

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 10:01am
Geelong look the obvious improver on paper but it's the game style that needs tweaking, not just the personnel.  Bringing players in does not a finals appearance make. 

As for the draw, that is how it works isn't it?  My understanding is they break it down in to sixes on where you finished. If you finished in the middle 6 like Geelong, you play the top six sides only once from the year before, the middle six twice and the bottom six once.  Or similar to.  Happy to be corrected but that is my understanding.

Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 10:14am
i didn't know that about the draw, but after a quick google, it seems you are right.

Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 10:34am
As a fan of A team down the bottom it's so annoying that teams like Geelong have one average year then pick up all these guns and will be straight back up the top.

I support Brisbane, we have lost so much young talent because they either miss their Mums or they don't want to put in the hard yards and want instant success. Then the free agency doesn't help, why would a player 25+ who is a gun wanna go to a cellar dweller, they are chasing premiership's. Then Eddie whinges about us starting a footy academy to try lock in local talent, dead set!

Anyway Hawks will prob win another premiership.
LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 11:01am
Back to the hybrid rules game - 

Why don't the Hawks play the top Irish team? Instead of Aus v Ireland.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 5:14pm
they could probably beat Barcelona if they turned they hand (feet)
to the world game, too. Smile
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 5:19pm
Geelong are well and truly overhyped. Only Dangerfield is a good addition. Selwood and Henderson meh. Their backline will be a year older, and there were already signs last year they were slowing down. They have also traded away future draft picks, so the pressure is on to perform.
They missed the finals last year because they weren't good enough, not due to injuries. They have not all of a sudden become this super team overnight.
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 6:02pm
Geelong's form was poor for the most part of the season but the injuries sustained to key players makes it hard when you don't have depth, like Geelong don't.  Clark/Vardy/Menzel/Stanley/Rivers all missed most or half the season.  Can't afford to be injured when you have no depth because it highlights the weaknesses in other players.

Bringing the players in is about taking the focus off the one or two elite players in the team.  Dangerfield means pressure is off Selwood and Scott Selwood means Cam Guthrie is freed up to play more offensively than in a tagging role and so on it goes...  Henderson takes pressure of Taylor & and ageing Lonergan in the back half.  

For Geelong, the question will be how much improvement comes from Kolodjasnih (??)/Thurlow/Horlin Smith/Gregson/Lang/Murdoch and if Menzel/Vardy/Clarke/Stanley can stay fit.  If so - I think Geelong could quite easily return to the finals and potentially the top 4.  

The game style is the thing that needs to change - it was difficult to work out what they were trying to do at times last year so will be interesting to see.

The hype at this time of year for any team is ridiculous and totally unjustified unless you're Hawthorn and have the runs on the board.  

LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

they could probably beat Barcelona if they turned they hand (feet)
to the world game, too. Smile

Only at the MCG though Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 5:59am
Originally posted by Heavy10 Heavy10 wrote:

As a fan of A team down the bottom it's so annoying that teams like Geelong have one average year then pick up all these guns and will be straight back up the top.

I support Brisbane, we have lost so much young talent because they either miss their Mums or they don't want to put in the hard yards and want instant success. Then the free agency doesn't help, why would a player 25+ who is a gun wanna go to a cellar dweller, they are chasing premiership's. Then Eddie whinges about us starting a footy academy to try lock in local talent, dead set!

i agree it's pretty hard for clubs like brisbane..you can't really blame blokes for
jumping ship..say you are getting close to or in your prime + the club is showing no signs
of being a sniff, why would you want to hang around? especially if family + friends are interstate.

+ in rugby heartland if the team is not successful the public lose interest..affecting crowds..
collingwood for example could be garbage for yrs + their fans will still pay the admission to watch them.

no idea really what the solutions are..maybe more $ form the afl. the respective club working
harder to make it a family sort of environment so the bond outweighs the carrot
of chasing success elsewhere. more work at grass roots to help develop the fan base...
but yes it is isn't easy.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 6:17am
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Geelong are well and truly overhyped. Only Dangerfield is a good addition. Selwood and Henderson meh. Their backline will be a year older, and there were already signs last year they were slowing down. They have also traded away future draft picks, so the pressure is on to perform.
They missed the finals last year because they weren't good enough, not due to injuries. They have not all of a sudden become this super team overnight.

you don't rate menzel?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 7:17am
further to mu post above about it being hard for struggling interstate clubs to keep
their better players..

winning some games would certainly help. if you are 25 ish + getting interest from other clubs
the natural thing to do is make an assessment of whether the club you currently play for
has any hope of winning a flag over the next 4-5 yrs..also you may become a better player
at a stronger club, learning from other good players + not getting as much attention from
the opposition as there are more good players to pay attention to.

so the club (coaching staff, selectors,etc) have to take some responsibility when the team
is not doing enough to give hope that a flag is possible over the next 4-5 yrs...
not having a dig, but i think it's fair to say the lions have been woeful the last 2 seasons..
so sort of digging their own grave.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 7:51am
1 more thing..let's say you stay + get to 30 ish..if the club is then
getting closer to being a sniff, they'd have no qualms trading you off if it suited them.
so why should you show loyalty to the club?
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:54pm

Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

you don't rate menzel?

Cant base a season around a guy as injury prone as him. (sadly)
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 2:35pm

I have no problem with the academy's at all. Just let all clubs have one and be on an even playing field in regards to academy's. Clubs used to have zones both metro and country. Here is an idea I've had for a while now. Let all clubs have a zone again.  Here is how I think it could work.
In West Australia Perth the Metro area is split half for two zones. Fremantle takes the south side and West Coast takes the North side. The rest of W.A is open slather for all 18 clubs to draft from.

South Australia the same split the city in two and Adelaide and Port Adelaide get half each. Then outside the metro area and N.T is opened up to all 18 clubs to draft from

QLD Brisbane Metro is for Brisbane and the Gold Coast for the Gold Coast for their zones. All other areas all clubs can draft from

NSW We split metro Sydney in half for both clubs. The rest of the state and Canberra is open for all clubs to draft from

Then in Victoria we give each club back their old metro zone. County Victoria will be open to all clubs to draft from like in all the other states. The AFL will look after the country TAC clubs and the metro TAC clubs will be looked after by their zone club.

Change the TAC Cup comp back to U19 from U18's. As mentioned all player in zones will play for and be zoned to their AFL club until they finish U19's.

After a players last year in U19's zoned to a club the club can list as many of it's zone players on the main using late round draft picks. Players not added to a clubs main list can then be added to the AFL draft pool for all clubs to pick from on draft day.

All clubs will have to be looked after funded by each club. No AFL hand outs. I think zone players should be allowed to be added to the rookie list if clubs have a big run of injuries throughout the year. This give clubs a chance to get top up players if need be.

I think this would could work and give all clubs a zone again.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 2:42pm

further to mu post above about it being hard for struggling interstate clubs to keep
their better players..

winning some games would certainly help. if you are 25 ish + getting interest from other clubs
the natural thing to do is make an assessment of whether the club you currently play for
has any hope of winning a flag over the next 4-5 yrs..also you may become a better player
at a stronger club, learning from other good players + not getting as much attention from
the opposition as there are more good players to pay attention to.

so the club (coaching staff, selectors,etc) have to take some responsibility when the team
is not doing enough to give hope that a flag is possible over the next 4-5 yrs...
not having a dig, but i think it's fair to say the lions have been woeful the last 2 seasons..
so sort of digging their own grave.
I think that is more the point of what you've said Ecair that clubs need to be very selective in what coaches and coaching staff they put in place. Kids today can't take the feed back or sprays of days gone by. I don't think many players of today would survive playing from the 1960's to 2000's. You got told in no uncertain way how things were to be done, along with the verbal stray that came with it.  Now days you have to pat the kids back and tell them how good they are but hey could you please do what I want this way.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 3:14pm
I actually think Brisbane are on the right track now, our biggest issue now is keeping team on the paddock, injuries have ravaged us last 2 years or so. Hopefully I can see some improvement over the next year or 2! 

Got some young guys coming through in key positions, just hope we can keep them! 
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 12:50pm

I actually think Brisbane are on the right track now, our biggest issue now is keeping team on the paddock, injuries have ravaged us last 2 years or so. Hopefully I can see some improvement over the next year or 2! 

Got some young guys coming through in key positions, just hope we can keep them! 
I really hope that Ryan Bastinac picks up the form of a few years ago he had at North. He's tough and hard at. If his form returns then he looks to be a very handy replacement for Redden 
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 3:08pm
How long did that draft go for last night. 23 picks in the fist hour is way to slow. I think the AFL need to tinker with it next year. They don't need the coaches to go up for the first player drafted to their club. Just punch in the player picked and Gill calls out the draft pick, name and new club.

At least some of the Academy pick worked with clubs being kept honest by other clubs nominating Academy players early in the draft
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:42pm
I'm guessing the academy 'bidding' stuffed things up a bit, it's a farcical system, it's already obvious most of the bids are strategic to just screw with other clubs, clubs screwing with clubs and with young kids heads.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Beliskner Beliskner wrote:

I'm guessing the academy 'bidding' stuffed things up a bit, it's a farcical system, it's already obvious most of the bids are strategic to just screw with other clubs, clubs screwing with clubs and with young kids heads.
Agreed about the other clubs playing games with the academy picks. Like I've mentioned above they should give all clubs a zone and it's theirs. They keep the kids until they list them or they end their U18/19's grade footy.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:14am
i've got wraps on the suns, but just too much of a risk to have
any decent $ on them to make the 8. so y'ablett reliant
and with the internal problems they've had, wait and see job imo.
if ablett is fit and well + they start ok, a team to watch imo.

--

betting wise the cats are certainties to make the 8 imo..
only $1:35 ish atm so not worth backing indivually but if you are looking
for another leg for a multi, a good option. I'd also wait, if possible, until after rd 1
where they'll most likely lose to the hawks + should get better than $1:40.

+ as mentioned earlier $4:50 around atm for the hawks to make it 4 flags in a row.
i'm waiting until some point after rd 7 + before rd 10. the plan is, after a loss
where the media start talking cr*p about how the hawks are looking old and slow.
might be ambitious but hoping for $6 or better.

i posted that in last seasons thread so just moving it over..

when mark "maclueless" maclure says the hawks are gone, Load Up Smile
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 1:06pm
I really think that Port Adelaide could really be the big improvers this season. They could finish in the top 4 and go really deep into the finals. They have a softer draw for finishing 9th last year.  This year Port only play Hawthorn, Sydney, Freo, West Coast & Geelong only once. They will need better luck with injuries than they had last year as well
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:39am
the victim of dustin martin's drunken feral slob behaviour
claims the afl pressured her not to press charges.
tried to post the atricle stating this from the herald sun..but
wanted me to subscribe when i went back to it.
kevin bartlett suggested the club ban him for 12 months + fine him $50k
payable to an appropriate women's organisation..snippet pasted below

“Not one word that violence against women is totally unacceptable. And this is at an AFL club that has the first and only female President. This allegation of this incident of threatening a woman to stab chopsticks in her eye as well threatening to kill her needed a more urgent and stronger response from Richmond.”

Bartlett continued: “It’s hard to imagine a more serious allegation. A 12-month suspension and a $50,000 donation to an appropriate women’s organisation seems a realistic and fair conclusion for the club, the AFL and the image of the game.”

from here
 http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-legend-kevin-bartlett-calls-for-12month-ban-for-dustin-martin/news-story/30969be16570c46b62f82d1222a571d6

atleast a couple of issues there.
 the afl being more worried about bad branding for the game
by allegedly trying to avoid martin copping a criminal charge - than giving him a fair whack and sending the right message. in the context of violence against women - it's an awful message to
send to kids who look up to afl players.

the club doing basically nothing to penalise him - or is that still to be decided?
martin obviously having a problem with alcohol + anger management..had a couple of issue previously that were made public + maybe a few others that were kept inhouse.

i'd go further than bartlett's suggestion + apply a 12 month ban from alcohol for martin
tested every week or so..any breach would mean maybe a 3-5 ban which would effectively end his career.

he's obviously 1 of those people that can't handle alcohol, ie don't know when to stop
+ are prone to becoming aggressive..would be doing the right thing by him for his health
+ for those that are around him imo.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:40am
3-5 year ban
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:48am
also....he really should be copping criminal charges with the potential
of doing some time.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 10:30am
agree...they are pussy-footing around this...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Mr White View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 11:27am
I agree Dustin Martin shouldn't have threatened this woman. It's totally unacceptable. There are now several stories out there of what went down.  In one story I've heard that this woman isn't backwards in coming forward to make comment on what she thinks and feels.  It's been said that she confronted Dusty which lead to him making the threats. Like I said I agree that Dusty crossed the line. But if this is true that she spoke out at Dusty in the restaurant. Then I think maybe this is what set things off.  What was stopping this woman just going up to the manager and having a quite word to him? She could have told the manager that Dusty was out of line and it was time for him to go home. Hence defusing the situation before it started. Also keeping her out of the firing line.
The other question I have is why wasn't the CCTV on? Sure there are some recordings form people in the restaurant on their phones. But it doesn't capture the events from the very beginning. It will be interesting to see what the police come up with and how the AFL then handle it
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 11:40am
Whitey , I suspect the CCTV was probably on but not a good look for owners who love the "celebritys dropping in (hence the fast lane entrance)to be providing the footage . Don't have to agree with it but I feel this could be the case
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Mr White View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 1:28pm
Yeah I think you could be on the money there Noccy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>
  Share Topic