Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Greyhounds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

advert. advising 70% greyhounds killed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:02pm
Furious it is obvious you are a dog lover. They are magnificent animals......loyal to a fault. I bet you could no more euthanise your dog at 2 or 3 years of age than I could.....so why do you support an industry where it is the norm to do so ? I have no doubt that most owners / owner trainers get little joy out of doing it either. Fact of the matter you cannot keep adding & adding.....slow young ones / fast old ones / injured ones ect without it becoming a very costly / time consuming exercise. Maybe a few "special" ones get to live a long normal dogs life. Bottom line though If you want to stay in the game you have to keep making room for new ones - so their is little alternative other than to cull. I do think those that have spent many years in the industry become desensitised to it all.... & can somehow justify it as being part of the game. Similar with live baiting.....a necessary practice to stay competitive ( bit like athletes justifying taking performance drugs in a sense ).

So we are both dog lovers.....just see the same issue very differently.
Scientist & Global Warming Expert
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 11:47am
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

But will people still bred them if racing stops?

furious the quickest way to make an animal extinct is to remove its usefulness.

look up "show" greyhounds. they are an ugly breed.

Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 11:50am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Furious it is obvious you are a dog lover. They are magnificent animals......loyal to a fault. I bet you could no more euthanise your dog at 2 or 3 years of age than I could.....so why do you support an industry where it is the norm to do so ? I have no doubt that most owners / owner trainers get little joy out of doing it either. Fact of the matter you cannot keep adding & adding.....slow young ones / fast old ones / injured ones ect without it becoming a very costly / time consuming exercise. Maybe a few "special" ones get to live a long normal dogs life. Bottom line though If you want to stay in the game you have to keep making room for new ones - so their is little alternative other than to cull. I do think those that have spent many years in the industry become desensitised to it all.... & can somehow justify it as being part of the game. Similar with live baiting.....a necessary practice to stay competitive ( bit like athletes justifying taking performance drugs in a sense ).

So we are both dog lovers.....just see the same issue very differently.

you make definitive statements which you either know are wrong or you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm guessing you have a paddock full of pet horses?

Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 11:54am

And I started this because the add put out and endorsed by our state government is full of lies and I hate lies!  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Making people believe a lie isn't right.  You say no dogs should die.  I say lots of dogs have good caring owners and trainers who look after them into their old age.  You are unprepared to care about these people or their love of the sport and the dogs.  As the good Dr says.  This has opened up a can of worms.  I love animals and people need more contact not less.  Animals can be mistreated - so can people and usually by the same people.  If someone can hurt an animal they can hurt a person or child.  But animals can bring people back from the edge of despair.  They can be a guide to people in prison helping them learn new life skills etc.  Animals are important in so many ways and there are people out there working to shut down any industry to do with animals.  Well the premier has opened up the doors and I fear for the future.

furious their are so many people who feel powerless in this. a majority of owner/trainers are older people, many are retired. racing dogs gets them out of the house and active. they can catch up with friends at the track. I've got no doubt there will be people pushed over the edge.
Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 11:58am
rumour going around TABCORP have told the NSW govt they wont be paying them any $$ from greyhound racing in other states or from Trackside.

this means the subsidy from greyhound racing to the t/b's and trots has vanished.  that will cost tens of millions.

bet vlandys didnt see that coming.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Kong Kong wrote:

rumour going around TABCORP have told the NSW govt they wont be paying them any $$ from greyhound racing in other states or from Trackside.

this means the subsidy from greyhound racing to the t/b's and trots has vanished.  that will cost tens of millions.

Interesting.....can't see what Trackside has to do with it though ?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 2:51am

Whilst there is logic to your argument Dr.....it is a path that leads to nothing ever changing. It means humans can do what ever they darn well like to animals... .as you can always throw up some example somewhere else that minimises / justifies it. The fact remains there is no practical way to dramatically reduce "wastage" in the greyhound industry......& your argument only serves to muddy the water to preserve the status quo . The biggest single issue for me is that it is not an "essential" industry..... the end game of purely providing a means for a small percentage of the population to have a bet is not sufficient to justify the inherent animal cruelty. I mean I also hate live export.....& would love to see it get rissoled as well... however at least it is feeding people.

What Baird is saying is that there is no logical way to improve the position.....that even with the best intent it will again deteriorate back to the smokes & mirrors crap that has always undermined the way the game operates. Even now the focus seems to be on the figures in the report.....as if that really matters. You know , I know & blind Freddie knows that many thousands of dogs are used as a commodity by industry participants. Few are genuine pets. Few get to live a long life. The industry needs to get over the semantics & admit this is the case....& then try to convince the general community that they can significantly improve the situation. If they can genuinely do this they may deserve another chance.

... and there you prove your ignorance and dishonesty.

If as you claim, you had actually read the industry response to the report and recommendations (that was totally ignored just before Baird rushed his legislation through the backdoor), you would know that is in fact completely wrong. 

BTW, please direct me to an industry that involves humans domesticating or interfering with animals that is as you say "essential" ... there are none.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 3:50am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Whilst there is logic to your argument Dr.....it is a path that leads to nothing ever changing. It means humans can do what ever they darn well like to animals... .as you can always throw up some example somewhere else that minimises / justifies it. The fact remains there is no practical way to dramatically reduce "wastage" in the greyhound industry......& your argument only serves to muddy the water to preserve the status quo . The biggest single issue for me is that it is not an "essential" industry..... the end game of purely providing a means for a small percentage of the population to have a bet is not sufficient to justify the inherent animal cruelty. I mean I also hate live export.....& would love to see it get rissoled as well... however at least it is feeding people.

What Baird is saying is that there is no logical way to improve the position.....that even with the best intent it will again deteriorate back to the smokes & mirrors crap that has always undermined the way the game operates. Even now the focus seems to be on the figures in the report.....as if that really matters. You know , I know & blind Freddie knows that many thousands of dogs are used as a commodity by industry participants. Few are genuine pets. Few get to live a long life. The industry needs to get over the semantics & admit this is the case....& then try to convince the general community that they can significantly improve the situation. If they can genuinely do this they may deserve another chance.

... and there you prove your ignorance and dishonesty.

If as you claim, you had actually read the industry response to the report and recommendations (that was totally ignored just before Baird rushed his legislation through the backdoor), you would know that is in fact completely wrong. 

BTW, please direct me to an industry that involves humans domesticating or interfering with animals that is as you say "essential" ... there are none.
Refer my reply in the "Greyhound" thread......awaiting your reply from my hypothetical ! You represent the problem with the industry....not fair dinkum....head in the sand & baffling everyone with B/S so it will revert to business as usual. Actually that's not fair....you have already stated "ITS NOT ABOUT THE GREYHOUNDS"....enough said !
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 8:58am
Political suicide committed by some nationals, bye bye Grant
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Kong Kong wrote:

I sincerely hope this is true. Been very little support from either code.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:28am
As has been pointed out numerous times it's very easy to refute the wastage question. Just point out where all the thousands of non chasing/ retired greyhounds are. Should be easy if they are not knocked on the head but are running around happily somewhere.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

As has been pointed out numerous times it's very easy to refute the wastage question. Just point out where all the thousands of non chasing/ retired greyhounds are. Should be easy if they are not knocked on the head but are running around happily somewhere.

Same place the slow horses are most probably.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Heavy10 Heavy10 wrote:

Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Same place the slow horses are most probably.

The opinion of people who support the other codes but not greyhound racing are worthless to me. Hypocrites. You and oneone are just w@nkers. Really hope harness racing and thoroughbreds in Nsw lose funding like suggested in another thread.

On the plus side, hoping lot of northern nsw trainers join us on the gold coast, exciting times ahead for greyhound racing in this part of the world
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:00am
Ok in anwser to Oneonesit's question.  Didn't the greyhound people and their dogs travel to Sydney one day in protest.  Were all those dogs young?  How do I know I wasn't there - were you.  I know my Uncle and cousin haven't killed their dogs.  How many other country people are in the same boat.  My daughter was traveling up to Queensland last week and overnighted in a very small country town who once a year have a grey hound festival.  That is their major fund raising event and keeps the town alive.  So there is another dead country town.  I can only speak for the ones I know.  Not all are killed.  

The litter average is probably wrong.  Even I've know normal dogs who only have had one or two pups.  Others are born dead.  So how does the idea that people are killing new borns so that they don't have to register them come about?  Sorry oneonesit.  It's too late now the legislation has been past but I have no idea how blatent lies can be reinforced.  I don't even know the average age of a greyhound.  I know each breed has a different life span.  Small dogs can make it to there late teens while big dogs often struggle to make it to 8 years.  In my life of owning mostly crosses I've had dogs die at 3 year old (injured and broke a bone in its back at a boarding kennel) - this one came home and I was patting it (as a 3 year old myself) and it bit me on the face.  Not at all like the dog and that is when they found the injury - non fixable back then who knows today.  Next one Mum and Dad had to send to my Uncle on a farm as he kept jumping out of the yard and dad would get a phone call and have to go pick him up.  As we didn't have a car this wasn't easy so the dog had to go.   We lost the next dog as a 16 year old of old age. Then another lived till 8 - even though he was a small breed - things happen.  Then the next one lived till 4 and died of cancer.  Next one lived till twelve and we have an 8 year old now.  So dogs do have different life spans - even pets.

Now if you are a greyhound breeder do you have graves all over the place or do you perhaps keep an area where you bury the dogs.  Things like this have to be asked.  Not jumping to conclusions that everything is black.  

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:28am
Furious we seem to be running two active threads on this at the moment - i have sort of answered that in the Poles & Wires thread. I take little joy in the legislation being passed last night - i still believe we will still have Greyhound racing in this state going forward. I expect some compromise. I do think the industry will now be much more serious about the wastage in the industry - & in some areas like breeding gains can be made. Still cant see how it is going to change how the hobby trainer does his thing - unless you restrict him to one dog every 12 years or so to ensure he looks after it until it dies naturally (which is ridiculous). My concern has ever only been for the welfare of the dogs. I accept it will never be as good for the average greyhound as for other dog breeds. The reason is obvious - greyhounds are seen as a commodity & not pets by a lot within the game - so the outcomes will obviously be different.I just wanted significant improvement - which i think will most likely still be the long-term outcome
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:38am
oneonesit - on the news this morning the legislation has been past.  The premier dug a hole and barracked himself in it.  You say commodity I say to many an investment which you can treasure so you have an interest in life after retirement.  Something to keep yourself fit and social.  Even in the cities where it is easier to get about old people can be isolated an drift off into a world of their own - which is not good for anyone.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:41am
As with my cousin.  In the country sold the dairy - nothing to do afer working hard his whole life - so get a few dogs and keep yourself busy.  He loves them and they love him and maybe they run for their supper but that is what working dogs do.  What ever breed or industry.  On city people on the stock market think of animals as commodities.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:42am
Or maybe NSW premiers are in that boat also.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:47am
People can still love & care for a greyhound - this decision does not stop that. In fact those that keep their dogs will be doing it only for that reason -  the same as all other dog breeds ( except a few like Security, working ect)
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:53am
Yes but they can't even have races between themselves for fun!  That is also illegal.  So once again isolation and nothing to keep you busy and enjoying life.  Sure you can walk the dog.  But you can't take the dog to the pub or any social meeting.  That is part of what the greyhound culture is.  People in the city just don't know how country folk have entertainment.  That town is heartbroken.  My daughter saw this.  Has the premier?
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:54am
And even if he did would he care.  They are a little country town with no prospects of money going into his coffers so no wool off his back.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Heavy10 Heavy10 wrote:

The opinion of people who support the other codes but not greyhound racing are worthless to me. Hypocrites. You and oneone are just w@nkers. Really hope harness racing and thoroughbreds in Nsw lose funding like suggested in another thread.

such a potty mouth, is that part of the greyhound owners code of conduct...lol

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:28am
that is heartbreak speaking fiddlesticks
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:36am

Any chance you have had " foot in mouth disease" in a previous life ,.fiddles?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:52am

oh please, what is he losing.??? nothing, he's based in QLD and is not losing anythng, in fact he just admitted that when the NSW dogs come across the border they will have a great time..

heartbreak...LOL deary me..
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 12:11pm
Fiddlesticks what do you love the most in the world?  Well say someone said to your neighbour you can't do or have this anymore.  Wouldn't you be effected - even remotely?  When we get hurt its human nature to strike out at things.  I'd prefer to go and cuddle the dog.  He knows how to get me through a bad day.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 1:25pm

Fiddlesticks what do you love the most in the world?  Well say someone said to your neighbour you can't do or have this anymore.  Wouldn't you be effected - even remotely?  When we get hurt its human nature to strike out at things.  I'd prefer to go and cuddle the dog.  He knows how to get me through a bad day.

please tell em again what is heavy10 losing..??

he's crying about something that has no effect on him or his life..

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 1:46pm
He knows as we should all be aware that this is only a curtain opener.  Cats kill.  Will they make it illegal to own a cat.  Or dogs attack children - so dogs must go.  Once a precedent has been set you never know where it will lead and I don't like the picture I'm getting at all.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 3:34pm
The decision by the NSW gov.to shut down the greyhound ind. saddens me,for one major reason,it's setting Aussie against Aussie,.not the parasites
that suck the guts out of the state coffers,breeding like rabbits and offering nothing in return,.the sleese that drive around their cesspool of sewage who
control the drug and sex trade,land developers who will sell their soul for an earn,.and hypocrites who allow rebated money to be dumped into pools
to the detriment of the small punter,..none of these will be affected,.the word wastage being bandied about for the shutdown IMO is rubbish!.its political.
I have worn several hats in my working life ,.whether it be animal,vegetable or mineral and there has been wastage in all...There are two legged
animals that should be included in the wastage system but alas we feed them up ,.give them what they want so they can do it all again,..but the old
bloke and his misses who take their animals for a walk,.keep a degree off fitness themselves spend good money on their dogs,.petrol for travel,.
maybe hire a casual for the meet,.ease the pressure on the medical side because they stay active,.nah not a big enough earn there,.let them eat cake.
They want to close wenty like we did Harold park ,.build grand units and penthouses so we will always be remembered.
What you have done MR BAIRD ,..is undemocratic and UN AUSTRALIAN!
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

please tell em again what is heavy10 losing..??

he's crying about something that has no effect on him or his life..

OK, I also live well away from any threat of terrorism, so cares if they blow up you Sydney people, doesn't affect my life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic