Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Greyhounds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

advert. advising 70% greyhounds killed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: advert. advising 70% greyhounds killed
    Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 11:06am
Ok the above has been proven incorrect.  The Add says 70% greyhounds killed with average like 18 months.  Which I heard another person say is when most start racing.  Why is it legal to have an add which is giving untruths put on by the state government.  No wonder the man in the street believes the worst. 

Edited by Gay3 - 12 Aug 2016 at 7:16pm
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 11:19am
By 18mths they've been broken in & deemed to have potential or not. Many anecdotal reports suggest 70% of each litter is put down with 8 being the average size for greyhounds.
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 11:27am
Yes Gay and that was proved wrong.  Its a bit of tit for tat but that add really stinks as already the breeders have come out and said it's wrong.  That it is closer to 6%.  Have no idea whether that is right or not but there is a big difference there.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 12:32pm
I can only go on what I know for certain & 3 small breeder/owner/trainer aquaintances have openly admitted the above to me, it all comes down to 'economics' Unhappy
I reared one as a pet in the 70s. Unfortunately I ended up in a relationship with a trainer who virtually took over (yes, as weak as Angry) but imo, due to her early days working miles with the horses, she was very fit & forward. Won at 13mths (unheard of) & continued thru' with short spells culminating in the final of the Oz distance Championship in which she couldn't take part due to breaking a hock bone in winning the semi. Many a time she was offered live prey on the lure & not once was she interested, just loved to chase.
I don't believe methods have changed but that they've simply gone underground.
I do however believe those dogs who won't chase hard unless they've had kills, should never be bred from. Fantasy world I know!
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 1:27pm
the NSW government is going hard in on this campaign, it's in all the newspapers and prime time on TV..there's no way back now for NSW I'm afraid..
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 1:49pm
The add is purely and simply saying can't have 70% of dogs killed.  No one wants that but it isn't true so I still say its a add which is very wrong.

I know for a fact you can train without kills.  Cousin does so, Uncle did so - no longer alive.  There are good and bad and yes the bad has to be sorted out.  

Bit like the swimmers complaining about drug uses swimming against them.  The governing bodies have to pick themselves up and take responsability for wrongs done and not sorted out.  It will be hard to govern but the clean trainers have to be able to come forward and tell "we saw this and want it stopped" without loosing their sport.

You obviously had no one to go to back in the 1970's.  Hopefully that has changed and people see the need for a better management of wrong doers.  I remember cheering when the elephant juice trainers got kicked out of racing.  We all have people prepared to do the wrong thing.  But there are still plenty who do the right thing day in and day out.  They are in the sport because they love their dogs and working with them.  I don't believe that should be taken away from anyone who is innocent of any wrong doing.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 2:04pm
they can say what they want, all media usually do and people swallow it, I hope you learn that about the media today Furious..this is not the first time any media outlet has lied or fudged figures about a story...don't be so naive pls..
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 2:47pm
I just don't believe in lying.  Sorry Fiddlesticks I never take what I hear as gospel so I don't think I'm naive just wish people would learn to tell the truth.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

I just don't believe in lying.  Sorry Fiddlesticks I never take what I hear as gospel so I don't think I'm naive just wish people would learn to tell the truth.

if you watch and listen very carefully to everything going on around you, humans have moulded lying into our psyche as something that's totally acceptable, just for example listen to trainer or jockey interviews and you read between the lines of what sort of people or persons they really and what they really get up to, so much of life around us all fakery and staged..lying is as common as salt n pepper..
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 8:55pm
Legislation passed today. Not one National crossed the floor.....so much for all the outrage !
Give peace a chance
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 9:29pm
I hope I haven't got this wrong,..but I'm certain I heard on radio during the week, that the 70% figures of greyhound deaths included figures from the
American industry,.that being the case people have been mislead but I think it's fallen on deaf ears,..the closing down of this industry will ferret out the
politicians who will have there snouts in the trough when land developers jump in to divvy up the spoils of track closures!
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 2:44pm
The numbers in the report etc were all the opinion of a trainer who got caught live baiting. Court battle looming
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 2:52pm
Hadley,.Latham,.and another bloke going in to bat for the grey. Industry on sky,. did you happen to see it heavy10 ?
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 2:59pm
No I didn't, I have heard Hadley go off his nut though on his radio program. I can't see how they can get this through based on lies. I can't see how this won't get very messy in court. It's just all so dodgy, obviously Baird has another agenda
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 3:09pm
I'm tipping a long shot here,..if it comes in,. it will be the demise of Baird !
Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

By 18mths they've been broken in & deemed to have potential or not. Many anecdotal reports suggest 70% of each litter is put down with 8 being the average size for greyhounds.

your friends are obviously brain dead if that's what they reckon.

after costing on average 7k+ pls to ONE pup rear to 18months they get knocked on the head? bullgelati.

most dogs aren't broken in till 13-14 months. that stakes a month. they get a month off before pre training starts. pre training takes up to 10 weeks followed but a short break.

by this time its close to 19 months and they still have been in a field or most have been near 500m.  the vast majority of dogs continue to improve until they are 30months.

wastage is the biggest lie told in this disgrace.

Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I'm tipping a long shot here,..if it comes in,. it will be the demise of Baird !

he's quite clearly a world class prick but he's given himself 3 years to kiss enough assess to get back in.

Kong View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:10pm

Yes Gay and that was proved wrong.  Its a bit of tit for tat but that add really stinks as already the breeders have come out and said it's wrong.  That it is closer to 6%.  Have no idea whether that is right or not but there is a big difference there.

the add is so illogical it is ridiculous.

breeders spend thousands breeding and rearing then put them down without letting them mature.

do horse breeders knock their 2yo's off if their first prep is average?

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 6:16pm

Well I think you would be wrong then. All the so called "up in arms" Nationals have towed the line....& the ALP are also starting to go weak at the knees.....if the decision was now reversed there would be an even bigger outcry imo !
Give peace a chance
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Kong Kong wrote:

the add is so illogical it is ridiculous.

breeders spend thousands breeding and rearing then put them down without letting them mature.

do horse breeders knock their 2yo's off if their first prep is average?

The only thing illogical are blokes like you not accepting that there is.....& always will be.....very high levels of wastage in the game. Maybe if you accepted that & then made a case for why the vast majority of non - punters should accept this fact you might have a better chance
Give peace a chance
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Well I think you would be wrong then. All the so called "up in arms" Nationals have towed the line....& the ALP are also starting to go weak at the knees.....if the decision was now reversed there would be an even bigger outcry imo !

Lot of water to go under the bridge yet one one,.some might see the folly of their ways ( nationals) and do a u turn,..like I said it's a long shot !
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Kong Kong wrote:

Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

your friends are obviously brain dead if that's what they reckon.

after costing on average 7k+ pls to ONE pup rear to 18months they get knocked on the head? bullgelati.

most dogs aren't broken in till 13-14 months. that stakes a month. they get a month off before pre training starts. pre training takes up to 10 weeks followed but a short break.

by this time its close to 19 months and they still have been in a field or most have been near 500m.  the vast majority of dogs continue to improve until they are 30months.

wastage is the biggest lie told in this disgrace.

Wow!! What takes them so long? Mine won her 1st race at B'rat at 13mths & a 720m at 15mths. She had 30+ starts with 27 top3 so no one can say she burnt out early. Temlees were tough Wink
Gallopers are maturing faster & greyhounds in reverse Ouch
My 'acquaintances' not friends, breed 1 or 2 litters/year for themselves as would at least 40% in the industry who breed, race & train their own.

Edited by Gay3 - 12 Aug 2016 at 6:42pm
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 6:46pm
Are you sure it was 13 months Gay?

I believe some of the politicians against the ban refused to vote, hence it seems like none crossed over
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Heavy10 Heavy10 wrote:

DOB: Feb 77
Apr 1 78  1st B'rat 451 followed by 2nd@ 647 3rd@ 451
Jun 3       1st   "     647 then 2nd
Jun 27     1st  Geel. 592
Oct 13     1st  Olympic  511  at 1st city attempt  21mths

44 starts  14/12/7  not bad for $200 as a pet out of the Sporting Globe

I believe some of the politicians against the ban refused to vote, hence it seems like none crossed over

Edited by Gay3 - 12 Aug 2016 at 7:03pm
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Heavy10 Heavy10 wrote:

Well that's a real show of strength.....give in without a whimper ! If this issue went to a vote the non-Greyound industry vote would win hands down imo.....& I think all the polices are starting to realise this. I mean this place (TBV) is hardly neutral territory
Give peace a chance
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:14pm
Anyway it's gone passed the arguing about numbers stage....average Joes don't need convincing.....don't have to be Einstein to work out there arnt too many old greyhounds walking around !
Give peace a chance
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Anyway it's gone passed the arguing about numbers stage....average Joes don't need convincing.....don't have to be Einstein to work out there arnt too many old greyhounds walking around !

Not getting into an argument on here again. My time has been spent elsewhere.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:29pm
As I've said before I'd like to see it be given another chance.....however until those in the industry get their heads out of the sand it would be a waste of time & just fodder for another shoot down. Arguing the numbers is not the answer
Give peace a chance
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:08pm
the gap left by greyhound racing in NSW will be filled in 2seconds by something else..
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

the gap left by greyhound racing in NSW will be filled in 2seconds by something else..
well I don't think a Premier was the reason South Sydney folded fiddles,..and rose again albeit with more than a nudge and a wink from R& P
but it's marvellous what genuine people can do IF they stick!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic