Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > International Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

About the future of horse racing in Europe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cosmicsports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About the future of horse racing in Europe
    Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:58pm
Hi

I 'm writing you from Greece.
I 'm a fan of horse racing and perhaps you can help me.
What I 'm trying to find out is how the horse racing industry is doing economically across Europe.

I hope that some of you can answer the questions I 'm going to ask.

In Europe the three countries with the longest horse racing tradition and multitude of events are the UK, France and Ireland.
So I believe that in those three countries the racing industry is doing well, or relatively well.
I am interested more in the other countries such as Spain, Benelux, Germany, Eastern Europe and the Balkan countries.

In Greece since football betting with fixed odds was introduced in the 90s, horse racing has been more or less sliding downwards over the years.
The popularity of football betting is immense and of course people do not have the money and the time to follow both football and racing.

So I wonder if this is the case in your country too.
Can this -or does this- lead to the end of horse racing ?
Are race courses closing down (like ours is danger of) or have your racing authorities succeeded in keeping things going and how ?

I would appreciate your contributions which will help us in understanding matters relating to horse racing.
 Post Reply Post Reply