Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Village Administration - Support and Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

A bit browned off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A bit browned off
    Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 9:30am
I'm sick of not getting an up-to-date index of threads and posts when I log on. Always about 8-12 hours behind the current time. 

I hit the refresh button constantly, log off, log on again ... then you get a "somehat" updated board, but never current - and in need of constant updating every minute (and then you still have NONE of the current posts).  It's BORING!! I can NEVER see any current posts; all the times shown are hours behind; every time I switch to a different forum everything is AGAIN hours out of date; my own posts and any replys to them do not appear in the index at all until much later.

Maybe tomorrow, when the topics are already dead, the posts i'm NOW trying to see will appear. But what's the use of that? We used to be able to post messages and have quick replies to them.

The conversational side of the forum has been totally lost, and that was its main strength as far as I'm concerned. I'm not interested in leaving delayed messages for people to pick up a day later. Anyway, the post is already lost and forgotten and dropped to the bottom of the index WELL before anyone has even seen it!

Really this is too frustrating to be called an interactive forum anymore. If you can't reply to someone within several hours and can't read what has been recently posted, then it's just a delayed message board system. I thought they went out with the ark.

I accept there are teething problems, but it's been awhile now.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Nostradamus II View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nostradamus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 2:07pm
Hmmm, I have no problem. My posts appear straight away. Like the new format.
hobo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 4:10pm

Mine is always up to date too.

Hoss, maybe if you try deleting T V out of your favourites and then add the HOME page to your favourites, and enter the Forums that way.  That should fix the problem...
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 6:13pm
Hoss, I understand your problem but I know for sure it has something to do with the settings on YOUR internet browser. I have no such problems on my computer and many others are the same way. I am using Internet Explorer 7 on a PC machine. Can you please look in your browser settings and tell me what you have for "Browser History: Settings: Check for newer versions of stored pages".
Mayor
Hoss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 12:31am
Hi Mayor,
I'm using Explorer 7 with a PC (Windows XP Pro, 2006 version), but I think my problem might be with my firewall or virus blocker (McAfee). I'm sure it's not with the forum itself, although I think many security systems are now interfering with a lot of functions that used to be automatic (e.g. most file downloads especially images).

Under "Check for newer versions of stored pages" I have chosen "Automatically".

Anyway, it seems to be an intermittent problem. Sometimes if I hit Refresh I seem to get an up-to-date page. Occasionally not. I have to hit Refresh every time I open a new page which is a bit of a bind but not an extreme problem! I can live with that.

Occasionally, though, it seems I can't get a page that is the latest version, or it keeps reverting to an old one.

But don't worry about it. I can muddle along. It's called "learning to please your computer". Sort of like "learning to fulfil the expectations of your wife's cat " which I also know a lot about. Just male life on planet Earth! 
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 3:30am
lol Hos can'y you just use the active topics button and select the time perios like "post in last 2 hours"
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 3:30am
rofl shocking spelling errors there. Just got a new slimline keyboard.
Hoss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 4:54am
Thank all. I've just realised that the laptop with Explorer 7 works OK. It's the PC with Explorer 6 that stuffs up. Maybe that's it. Anyway, I'll follow your advice.
Mayor View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 7:58am
No worries, it's all valuable information Hoss, so thanks for letting us know about your frustrations. The recommendation is for everyone to upgrade to IE7, I guess. I'm happy with IE7, especially how you can set a number of your favourite web pages to open up automatically as tabs when you open the browser. Very cool.
Mayor
dennis View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2007 at 4:20am

Its f....ked Hoss, some of my gratest literature has disappeared from here over the last couple of weeks.  Look you just retire to the Ponderossa for one or two years and I'll  hold the fort for the time being and bring the place back to some sort of sanity, I reckon the poofs, lesos and academics are just starting to take over again.  But on a personal note Hoss, you would not be the best person to be  side by side in the trenches you know.

Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic