Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2020 MM Yearling Sale Discussion Page

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2020 MM Yearling Sale Discussion Page
    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 2:07pm
Might make it cleaner for the Gay and Co, to have a discussion page.

Thanks, it's a pity I didn't look hard enough when I posted in another MM thread! I'm worse than the members I'm 'supposed' to be adminnig LOL

Edited by Gay3 - 13 Mar 2020 at 4:00pm
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 2:14pm
Good idea Goldey.  Thumbs Up

Had Lot 80 down as a possible for the Yearling Comp.  $1m - no thanks.

See Buff's half brother in was passed at $170k.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 3:03pm
Gee SC I haven't been able to pick the ones I've wanted for years.  The prices just went through the roof.
Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:52pm
I have a list of 9 that i like in this sale. 2 went through today. 7 to come. 

The Tivaci colt looked great and went for a bit more than i expected. Hawkes just keeps bidding. They like, they buy. The Cable Bay filly was a touch cheaper than i expected, being passed in for 70k in the ring with 100k reserve. They accepted 80k from Freedy.

115 Cable Bay filly A.Freedman 80K
247 Tivaci colt J.Hawkes 240K
495 Brazen Beau colt
546 Shalaa filly
606 Cable Bay colt
613 Flying Artie colt
698 Shalaa colt
839 Pierro filly
855 So You Think filly

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 11:13pm
Made a note on my phone to follow this lot... 

80 - I Am Invincible x Amanpour
128 - Written Tycoon x Bel Mer
142 - All Too Hard x Bollinger Rose
261 - Frosted x Eagles Destiny
301 - Frosted x Fast Fleet
322 - I Am Invincible x Friday Hussy
471 - Starcraft x Leone Chiara
531 - Written Tycoon x Minaj
748 - Frosted x Serenely Discreet

No real rhyme or reason to the list.

I think Bel Mer has produced some excellent racehorses so far & this bloke looked every bit $500k to me in the photo. Reckon Sun Bloodstock have bought well for $175k...
Didn't think the Amanpour colt would go for $1m, but I suppose you have to add a zero for the sire...  
I like everything about Frosted, except the AP Indy top line (which i'll admit is a bit mental)... 
I always found it weird that Leone Chiara produced an absolute gun from her first season, then spent the next 10 chasing the 'commercial' opportunity. Finally, she returns to Starcraft & i'm interested to see whether there's still lead in the pencil... 
Liked the racing style of Minaj, even if she was no superstar. Hopefully this black filly is a jet... 

saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 11:50pm
I am with you re the Bel Mer, Red Hare.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:04pm
$10k at a premium sales doesn’t say much
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:07pm
314             Newgate Farm     C     Snitzel (AUS)     Fontiton (AUS)          Ciaron Maher Racing/Dermot Farrington Bloodstock     $575,000

I like this one.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:07pm
Hi Bill.  Do you have any favs?
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

314             Newgate Farm     C     Snitzel (AUS)     Fontiton (AUS)          Ciaron Maher Racing/Dermot Farrington Bloodstock     $575,000

I like this one.
I think Fontiton was one of the early Aus purchases using brogers's Performance Genetics selection process. Went into the Blue Diamond as $2.25 favourite and came out with heat stress, two bone chips in the front fetlock and a 10 meeting holiday for MZahra. A fair effort to pocket $25k for 5th, all things considered.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 3:00am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Hi Bill.  Do you have any favs?

acquaintance Isn’t buy much in Australia more in Japan and breeding there as well,so haven’t even layed eyes on a catalogue,just taking quick look through results.
He may not be able to resist though. 🤗
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 5:20am
The price on the Written Tycoon filly out of Karuta Queen surprised me.  Yes, he's a good stallion and the dam is off to a good start, but...still.  

The million dollar colts don't surprise me because they're speculative plays for stud fees later on.  If that $1.9M Deep Impact colt goes to stud and sires 40 foals per year at $20,000 fee, he's paid that off and then some before his first foals his the track.  

At $1.5M, the filly needs to show she can produce in her first 5 or so foals or the market will turn on her, so she needs her foals to sell for a minimum of $300,000 depreciation + stud fee + agistment just to break even.  If she goes to someone like I Am Invincible at $150k fee, then at a minimum her foals need to sell for $500,000 just to break even.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 3:19pm
$1.8m for the Platelet colt... outstanding record, but you have to wonder how many times she rode the lightning.

Brave Smash, Stratum Star, Tosen Stardom, Mahuta, Palentino, Trust In A Gust... discussion for another thread, but there has to be question marks on all of them. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 5:35pm

Arrowfield StudCDeep Impact (JPN)Honesty Prevails (AUS)Galletta Construction Co Pty LtdNSW$1,900,0009/1 14:14

CressfieldCExceed and Excel (AUS)Platelet (AUS)Hawkes RacingNSW$1,800,00010/1 13:34

Strawberry Hill StudFWritten Tycoon (AUS)Karuta Queen (AUS)  Sheamus Mills Bloodstock (FBAA)VIC$1,500,0009/1 15:52

Yarraman Park StudCHinchinbrook (AUS)Harlem Heat (AUS)James Bester/Tom MagnierNSW$1,150,0009/1 13:28

Milburn CreekCExceed and Excel (AUS)Dream in Colour (GB) Tom MagnierNSW$1,100,0008/1 18:24

Bhima ThoroughbredsCRedoute's Choice (AUS)Gresset (AUS)Zhiqiang AnCHINA$1,100,0009/1 13:08

Segenhoe StudCI Am Invincible (AUS)Adrift (NZ)Waller Racing/Mulcaster BloodstockNSW$1,050,0008/1 12:14

Rosemont StudCI Am Invincible (AUS)Amanpour (AUS) Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott RacingNSW$1,000,0008/1 12:37

Yarraman Park StudFI Am Invincible (AUS)Set to Unleash (AUS)Asian Bloodstock Services LtdHONG KONG$1,000,00010/1 17:14

Edinburgh ParkCExceed and Excel (AUS)Smokin' Alice (USA)Gerald Ryan/David RaphaelNSW$1,000,00010/1 18:22
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 5:44pm
For those confused by the lack of accompanying text, the above apparently summarizes the highest priced yearlings thus far, in descending order.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

For those confused by the lack of accompanying text, the above apparently summarizes the highest priced yearlings thus far, in descending order.

How the kiss did you work that out ?
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 5:40pm
I have a ouija board.
Taxidriver View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taxidriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 3:19pm
Here is my two bob's worth.

Of the lots I saw these are the ones I thought stood out on type. I ignored those that were well above my pay grade.

Book 1

Colts

178 Capitalist * Chipanda (Sepoy)                $200k
303   Shalaa * Fimatino (NASD)                     $160k. My No.1.
451   Air Force Blue * La Bella Luisa (Clang)    $150k
770   Capitalist * Silent Cash (Secret Savings) $120k.

Fillies

180   American Pharoah * Choice of Colours (RC) $260k
458   Shalaa * Lady Moura (RC)                          $325k
716   Capitalist * Sagaronne (Real Saga)             $110k
786   Savabeel * Society Lady (OReilly)               $330k  My No. 1.

Book 2

913   Divine Prophet * Jetting to London (Jet Spur)  $160k
959   Your Song * Queenofthegalaxies (NM)             $24k

Did struggle to find any from Baramul that pleased the eye. I was not alone it seems.

Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 6:05pm
8 out of 10 for first season sires. When maybe 10% of sires are commercially successful that means you are on a hiding to nothing. But, best of luck.
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taxidriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 6:19pm
I wasn't confident about Capitalist until I saw a few good uns. Thought the hype was excessive. However, many look like early runners, smallish and easy movers..
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:18pm
They were fairly varied in type, which may not be a good sign
  The Winning Ruperts were more consistent overall & more like the expected W.T. mould
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taxidriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:16pm
On the consistent theme, Glencoe
what did you think of the Shalaa's overall?
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taxidriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:29pm

Wonder if some vendors are bemused by having a yearling rejected by the rigorous MM inspection team, and then watching Baramul have 56 selected on merit, of which 36 sold. A cracking 64% clearance rate. The overall clearance rate was 88%, including the Baramul draft...Is there a credibility problem here?
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:37am
The reports on Shalaa are very positive. They were well received in the sales ring
Interestingly he has quite an inbred pedigree by Aust. standards . Can our more learned colleagues enlighten us whether this will be an asset or a hindrance?

One who made "overs " because of their strong impressive types was Sooboog. It will be interesting to see what happens at lesser sales.

When I was a vendor Gerry's high pass in rate never worried me. That is his problem.
Through him MM have provided an excellent opportunity for vendors in 4 states. MM have always supported their sales to the max.  I believe it was Gerry's intervention that kept Adelaide going when it was really struggling
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

The reports on Shalaa are very positive. They were well received in the sales ring
Interestingly he has quite an inbred pedigree by Aust. standards . Can our more learned colleagues enlighten us whether this will be an asset or a hindrance? 

Well our learned colleagues may be busy, so I'll poke my nose in.  

Don't believe his inbreeding will be a problem, rather the reverse.  Though I'll admit to being right into line breeding.

Two Gp 1 winning sons of Invincible Spirit from different female families have siblings Kris and Diesis in the 3rd remove.  Wouldn't think even another line of Sharpen Up wouldn't overload the boat.

Love Danzig 3 x 3, don't know if any more is required however the ubiquitous Danehill could figure in successful matings

Sir Gaylord appears in the pedigree of heaps of superior gallopers in Oz and being so far back wouldn't mind another instance.

Over to others.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 2:16pm
And without hijacking Glencoe's post, some might also care to suggest what outcross influences they'd like to see in his matrons.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 2:35pm
Talking about Danzig, there appears to be 13 MM yearlings with three strains of Danzig.

Equally interesting Lot 521 has Diesis (Sharpen Up) top and bottom.

And Lot 523 reinforces Invincible Spirit's sire Green Desert via Cape Cross, sire of the colt's grand-dam.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 4:15pm
Make that:

"Talking about Danzig, there appears to be 13 MM yearlings by Shalaa with three strains of Danzig.

Equally interesting Lot 521 by Shalaa has Diesis (Sharpen Up) top and bottom.

And Lot 523 by Shalaa reinforces Invincible Spirit's sire Green Desert via Cape Cross, sire of the colt's grand-dam.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:35pm
Shalaa might appreciate a line or two of Tamarett/mixed Marriage
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:38pm
And probably Bletchingly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>