Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2019 Aust & NZ Jumps Racing Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 11:39am
Is Al Haram still in the same ownership or did he get sold?
Bordering on one of those expensive flops.
Unless of course they planned on importing him for a $10k maiden hurdle in NZ
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 11:48am
Owner: Te Akau Star Struck Syndicate (Mgr: Karyn Fenton-Ellis MNZM)
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 12:17pm
Thanks horseshoe
Pretty sure that is different to the owners he had in aus
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by horseshoe horseshoe wrote:

Owner: Te Akau Star Struck Syndicate (Mgr: Karyn Fenton-Ellis MNZM)

David Ellis from Te Akau Stud purchase Al Haram for only $42,500 at the Inglis online auction in Oct 2018. He’ll take improvement from today’s run.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 11:41am
TRENTHAM

R1 - No.6 - Kangaroo - maiden chaser but in a good stable & ran a cheeky race when 4th last time. Each way

R3 - No.3 - Gallante - hot favourite but Rogie looks to have got him in great form. Win

R5 - No.2 - Chocolate Fish - looking for every inch of today’s 5500m trip, will keep grinding home when others are faltering. Win

GAWLER

R1 - No.4 - Sweet Lullaby - she’s very promising & the great P.Payne/R.Cully combo, enough said. Win

R2 - No.2 - Felix Bay - first jumps run this year but his last flat run was very tidy & gets Pateman aboard. Each way.
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

TRENTHAM

R1 - No.6 - Kangaroo - maiden chaser but in a good stable & ran a cheeky race when 4th last time. Each way   4th (43.8l)

R3 - No.3 - Gallante - hot favourite but Rogie looks to have got him in great form. Win (Pulled Up)

R5 - No.2 - Chocolate Fish - looking for every inch of today’s 5500m trip, will keep grinding home when others are faltering. Win (Pulled Up)

GAWLER

R1 - No.4 - Sweet Lullaby - she’s very promising & the great P.Payne/R.Cully combo, enough said. Win     2nd

R2 - No.2 - Felix Bay - first jumps run this year but his last flat run was very tidy & gets Pateman aboard. Each way. Winner, Great Ride Pateman

NZ jumpers let you down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 4:42pm
Yes horseshoe, the NZ jumpers let me down at Trentham. But it was all recouped in full with the win on Felix Bay at Gawler - great ride by Pateman & Amy McDonald has definately got the knack with jumpers.

Noticed a Kiwi invasion into Aust jumping ranks over the next few weeks. You’ve mentioned Jackfrost & Gobstopper are both already here.

Amy McDonald has picked up Master Poet (by Mastercraftsman) & Ciaron Maher has got Ablaze (by Raise the Flag).

Craig Phelan is here with Cochise and Shelly Houston returns with Lucky Tonight & Clapathuna.

The next 2 months of jumps racing will be hotly contested 👍
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 12:41pm
Big day of jumping at Pakenham

Wells is back over the steeples in his final Australian campaign.
After contesting the National in August he is heading to the US for a race in New Jersey in October
This space has been intentionally left blank
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 12:45pm
The race Wells is targeting is the $500,000 Grand National Steeple at Far Hills, New Jersey on October 21
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 12:48pm
Gobstopper Race 4
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 12:55pm
I’ll have a go at all 6 jumps races:

R1 - Michelin : one more chance!
R2 - Elvison : sons of Elvstroem make great jumpers
R3 - One for Later : close up behind handy horse recently
R4 - Killarney Kid : he always gives his all
R5 - Sweet Lullaby : promising mare
R6 - Solar Coaster : won well at Pakenham earlier in the year

Good luck to all!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 4:14pm
Wells is a beast.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 5:44pm
Pretty good day of punting with 3 winners from 6 tips - Michelin @ $2.40, Elvison @ $3.60 & Sweet Lullaby @ $2.00.

I was feeling that age might have caught up with Wells as an 11yo, but as CG said, he’s a beast. Great win, congrats to Craig & Kath for keeping him in great nick.

CG, what’s happening with your hurdler Andrea Mantegna? He looked like a tired horse at Gawler the other week. Is he continuing this season or heading to the paddock? He’ll definately win more hurdle races in future seasons if looked after.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 5:49pm

Gobstopper Race 4

Great tip horseshoe

Do you think he can run out the 4200m of the Victorian GN Hurdle in 2 weeks?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 5:49pm
Last run at Gawler was a disaster.
Here is the post race report:

What a frustrating race to watch for owners of big Magna who made the trip to Gawler to contest another hurdle race last Saturday. With winkers added to get him to focus more on his racing. he jumped well from the barrier and settled into third spot just as the leaders dropped anchor, and he fired up immediately. Unfortuanately the pace was horrible for a lap and a half, and Magna pulled all the way. Jockey Richard Cully should have given him his head and allowed him to bowl along in front. Instead he chose to fight him for 2000m, and no horse can finish a race off after doing that much work in the run. He did however work to the line well under the circumstances to finish fourth. The horse has pulled up remarkably well and we will plan to take the winkers off and change jockeys before finding him another jumps race before the end of the season.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Gobstopper Race 4

Great tip horseshoe

Do you think he can run out the 4200m of the Victorian GN Hurdle in 2 weeks?

He tips anything and everything that comes out of NZ.  Wink
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 6:38pm
After the GN (Andrew Campbell) Trainer will take Gobstopper home (For a break) Then set him for the Jericho Cup (There is a qualifier on 29th September) and if he wins that he'll head to Warrnambool in December
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 1:02pm
Strange the same posters here "love "jumps racing and yet disparage flat racing.

I find watching jumping a process of waiting for some poor animal to fall and REALLY hurt it self, an eyes through the finger ordeal.

Many instances failed flat racers, "racing" beyond what their breeding says they should.

Softy, you talk of love for money as opposed to love of horses? What is your take on jumping?

SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 11:53pm
I noticed today that a promising jumper from a couple of seasons ago Duke of Boneo resumed from a tendon injury. Was previously with Weir but has been sold to Jane Duncan at Swan Hill. Resumed over the unsuitable trip of 1200m at Mildura but did a good job. When he gets out to a trip I can see him winning another race. I’m not sure if they plan on jumping again, probably too late for this season, but will be interesting to see where he ends up.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 12:07pm
Fantastic trio of jumps races today at Sandown, so let’s roll out some tips for the 2 feature events:

Crisp Steeplechase

SLOWPOKE RODRIGUEZ - has always promised to win a big race & I think his turn might come today. Freshened up since the Grand Annual & the mid-range 4200m distance will be perfect.

Victorian Grand National Hurdle

I have reservations about KILLARNEY KID & GOSTOPPER running out the longer 4200m trip, so I’ll go for the recently arrived Kiwi jumper TALLYHO TWINKLETOE. He was an absolute gun hurdler in NZ back in 2015 going from a maiden hurdle to go on to win the NZ GN Hurdle in his first campaign. Has had plenty of time on the sidelines since but seems to have come back in top order with an easy win at Te Aroha.

Amy McDonald’s horse FELIX BAY can run a place at big odds too.

SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 12:08pm
Why on earth is the Crisp so early in the day?
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 1:02pm
Can’t see Wells getting beat here
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 1:12pm
Wells.... freak
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 1:20pm
What a brave brave horse. Clearly headed and fought back
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 1:35pm
Slowpoke did not jump well enough. Wells very brave.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Slowpoke did not jump well enough. Wells very brave.

This sums up the race very well. For Wells to be racing as well as he is as an 11/12yo is a testament to the horse & the Durden’s. They’ve always resisted the Oakbank & W’Bool carnivals and focussed on the later season features.

The run of the 100/1 shot Fulmineus was a brave effort too, he ran the race of his life for 4th place only 6 Lens behind Wells.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 3:16pm
This is the Letter of the Week in the Editorial of this weeks Winning Post. Sums it up well

Let them race

Retirement. It’s something I look forward to. Only 9855 days left until I cast off the shackles of employment. However, not everyone shares my enthusiasm for the sweet respite of retired life.
Whilst I’m not personal friends with Wells, nor am I besties with Bashboy, I think I can safely say that Wells isn’t looking forward to being forced into retirement in 12 months and neither was Bashboy prior to being thanked for his service and having a gold watch slipped over his fetlock.
Racing needs horses that people can get behind — horses that capture the imagination of the public or even just the racing public.
Occasionally champions like Black Caviar and Winx come along, put bums on seats and are clearly good for racing for a plethora of reasons.
Then there are horses of far less note that people love for all sorts of reasons.
They might be horses that are owned or trained by battlers, they might be horses that have had more than 100 starts, they might be jumpers.
These last two categories are my favourites. I loved watching Jungle Ruler (115: 20-12-12) grow an extra leg on bottomless 10s and I still have a soft spot for Crafty Cruiser (148: 13-21-16), who late last year as an 11-year-old ran second in the Jericho Cup. Old Crafty has won more than $1 million and I’ll be sad when he’s forced into retirement in 12 months, too.
These are just two examples of horse that contribute to the compelling narrative of racing. I find them infinitely more interesting than the three-year-old blueblood who has eight or nine starts and then heads off to stud.
Jumps racing is my passion and I find it incredibly disappointing that we send sound horses into retirement at a seemingly arbitrary age regardless of their condition.
Seeing Wells win the Mosstrooper again was brilliant. He is a champion of the sport and I’ve enjoyed watching him race all over Victoria.
His connections seem pretty adamant that the horse is sound enough to continue his career and if this is still the case in 12 months’ time, why shouldn’t he?
Surely, Kathryn Durden and a vet are in a better position to determine Wells’s ability to continue racing than a number on a page.
Some argue that it would be bad for optics if we didn’t cap the age to which horses could race and they were to break down on the track. I’d suggest this wouldn’t look any worse than a young horse breaking down.
In my mind it’s simple: if a horse is fit to race, it should be allowed to race. If it can pass a vet test, let it race.
A couple of weeks ago at Roscommon in Ireland, See Double You won a hurdle at the age of 16 — only three years the junior of his jockey! What a great story.
Racing needs heroes, so I don’t understand why we are so keen to pension them off. I’m keen on retirement but I’m a school teacher, not a racehorse.

Mark Beecham
Camberwell (Vic)
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 10:14pm
Really looking forward to the clash of Wells v Tallyho Twinkletoe in the GN Stple at Ballarat in 3 weeks. TT is going to have a significant weight advantage. Given Wells had 73.5kg in last years race, and he’s since won another Mosstrooper & another Crisp, what weight will he get? Maybe 74.5kg like Bashboy in 2015?

Anyone know what’s happened to Big Blue? Like Wells he’s by the great Galileo. He won the Galleywood Hdl at his only jumps start for 2019 & hasn’t been seen since.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

This is the Letter of the Week in the Editorial of this weeks Winning Post. Sums it up well

Let them race

Retirement. It’s something I look forward to. Only 9855 days left until I cast off the shackles of employment. However, not everyone shares my enthusiasm for the sweet respite of retired life.
Whilst I’m not personal friends with Wells, nor am I besties with Bashboy, I think I can safely say that Wells isn’t looking forward to being forced into retirement in 12 months and neither was Bashboy prior to being thanked for his service and having a gold watch slipped over his fetlock.
Racing needs horses that people can get behind — horses that capture the imagination of the public or even just the racing public.
Occasionally champions like Black Caviar and Winx come along, put bums on seats and are clearly good for racing for a plethora of reasons.
Then there are horses of far less note that people love for all sorts of reasons.
They might be horses that are owned or trained by battlers, they might be horses that have had more than 100 starts, they might be jumpers.
These last two categories are my favourites. I loved watching Jungle Ruler (115: 20-12-12) grow an extra leg on bottomless 10s and I still have a soft spot for Crafty Cruiser (148: 13-21-16), who late last year as an 11-year-old ran second in the Jericho Cup. Old Crafty has won more than $1 million and I’ll be sad when he’s forced into retirement in 12 months, too.
These are just two examples of horse that contribute to the compelling narrative of racing. I find them infinitely more interesting than the three-year-old blueblood who has eight or nine starts and then heads off to stud.
Jumps racing is my passion and I find it incredibly disappointing that we send sound horses into retirement at a seemingly arbitrary age regardless of their condition.
Seeing Wells win the Mosstrooper again was brilliant. He is a champion of the sport and I’ve enjoyed watching him race all over Victoria.
His connections seem pretty adamant that the horse is sound enough to continue his career and if this is still the case in 12 months’ time, why shouldn’t he?
Surely, Kathryn Durden and a vet are in a better position to determine Wells’s ability to continue racing than a number on a page.
Some argue that it would be bad for optics if we didn’t cap the age to which horses could race and they were to break down on the track. I’d suggest this wouldn’t look any worse than a young horse breaking down.
In my mind it’s simple: if a horse is fit to race, it should be allowed to race. If it can pass a vet test, let it race.
A couple of weeks ago at Roscommon in Ireland, See Double You won a hurdle at the age of 16 — only three years the junior of his jockey! What a great story.
Racing needs heroes, so I don’t understand why we are so keen to pension them off. I’m keen on retirement but I’m a school teacher, not a racehorse.

Mark Beecham
Camberwell (Vic)

Whilst I agree with this sentiment I would love to see these horses go to Europe to test their jumping and racing ability.

reductio ad absurdum
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 11:41am
Wells could carry 80kg and still win.
He only needs to stay upright and they won’t beat him IMO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>