Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 W.S Cox Plate 2040m

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 7:23am
I. Going to shoot bambi

Go Rostropovich
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:05am
The list I saw had field of 9
Red Rancher View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:13am
Did anyone watch the barrier draw on racing.com today?

The spokesman for Godolphin said Winx needs to beat Benbatl by 20 lengths to deserve being the best horse in the world as he is no Enable or Cracksman. He said Winx is only beating very moderate opposition based on Best Solution's win the the CC and if the world handicapping panel is honest Cracksman should easily be re-rated the best horse in the world based on his last start win.

Where do you begin? Cracksman is a world class middle distance mudlark who doesn't race on firm tracks because he cant win.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Red Rancher Red Rancher wrote:

The spokesman for Godolphin said Winx needs to beat Benbatl by 20 lengths to deserve being the best horse in the world as he is no Enable or Cracksman. He said Winx is only beating very moderate opposition based on Best Solution's win the the CC and if the world handicapping panel is honest Cracksman should easily be re-rated the best horse in the world based on his last start win.

Where do you begin? Cracksman is a world class middle distance mudlark who doesn't race on firm tracks because he cant win.

I find it's best to make my boldest statements about things that will never be tested so can't be refuted.Tongue
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:31am
Seems odd, Cracksman has lost a few races, just won some by a head and been dominant in a couple. I think his 3rd or 4th biggest winning margin in his life was beating Avilius by 3.5 lengths.
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:40am
So field of 8?

Winxy in 6.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Red Rancher Red Rancher wrote:

Came across as a fair bit of tongue in cheek to me, he played the heel role well to the crowd.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

So field of 8?

Winxy in 6.

“Winxy”?
Red Rancher View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:56am
[/QUOTE]

Came across as a fair bit of tongue in cheek to me, he played the heel role well to the crowd.[/QUOTE]

Cheeky yes, but I thought his comments were genuine. Some o/s don't rate Winx and they believe Benbatl has a real chance of winning. Godolphin have just won 3 big Melb Group 1's so they have some confidence.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 8:58am
I don't think Benbatl will even run 2nd, Avilius a moral to run 2nd or 3rd
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 9:16am
Good decision not to allow Trap For Fools to run Thumbs Up 
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 11:18am
Avilius should push up along the rails to the first turn, make everyone go wide and do the donkey work, then let Avilius drift back, save energy.

I believe Avilius can cause a huge upset and win.
Humidor got within half a length last year, saving about 7 to 9 metres if I recall correctly.
If Avilius hugs the rails after making the field go wide at the first turn, its game on.
Avilius has the turn of foot to switch off heels at the 200, and go BANG.

$16 to $20 is value.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 11:33am
Avilius is not as good as Hartnell and he could never beat her
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

Avilius should push up along the rails to the first turn, make everyone go wide and do the donkey work, then let Avilius drift back, save energy.

I believe Avilius can cause a huge upset and win.
Humidor got within half a length last year, saving about 7 to 9 metres if I recall correctly.
If Avilius hugs the rails after making the field go wide at the first turn, its game on.
Avilius has the turn of foot to switch off heels at the 200, and go BANG.

$16 to $20 is value.

Well at least you get points for looking outside the box.
3 days ago you had Avilius tailed off 20 lengths from the 2nd last horse, now you have him pushing up along the rail to the first turn.

IMO. Neither will eventuate. But points for trying.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Donald Hiltonson View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Hiltonson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 11:51am
She’s unbeatable at MV in my opinion. I mean, she’s unbeatable anywhere but particularly the way she corners like a Ferrari around that final bend, she’s even harder to beat there.

The only thing that’s gets her beat would be a real stinker of a ride or a concerted team effort from the other jocks to deny her clear running.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:01pm
I disagree.

Avilius is coming off a win at 2500m, the drop back to 2000 is now ideal.
Has a strong fitness edge in my opinion.

You combine stamina, plus turn of foot and plus a rails run, you have yourself a real chance.

I keep thinking how Humidor got to within half a length last year.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Hiltonson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:29pm
I like Avilius too in something a bit easier but narrow victories over the likes of Jaameh and Dagny arent probably quite the right formlines to be beating Winx.

You keep on going on about this rails run as if the other horses are just going to step aside and let it scoot up the rails but it’s unlikely, it’ll will probably settle well back like it normally does and have to come ride around the bend which will make it impossible to beat her. Realistically it’s just racing for a place like all the others.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 1:15pm
Despite all of her wins in succession, this is the most important race of her career. If these internationals beat her, her legacy will be forever tarnished by anyone overseas and by many here. She just simply has to win and win well.

Go Winx.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

Despite all of her wins in succession, this is the most important race of her career. If these internationals beat her, her legacy will be forever tarnished by anyone overseas and by many here. She just simply has to win and win well.

Go Winx.

Good post.
Very true

Benbatl has a decent enough reputation.
If she rounds him up and Bowman pushes her right out and demolishes the field, that does add credence.

This is ultimately sport, and anything can happen. Look at what happened to Kings Will Dream in Caulfield Cup.

Who knows what Winx may have to endure. If she gets inconvenienced and gets up to win by a nose in a thrilling photo finish, in many ways, I think that would be the fairytale finish, as she would have to overcome the odds and guts it right out with courage. That would be just as admired as a huge margin.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Hiltonson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 1:51pm

Go Winx.

I don’t agree at all. I think her legacy is pretty well set in stone by now. 21 group ones and 3 cox plates, they can’t take em off her. There’ll be plenty of shock initially if she gets beat but in the long run it’s hardly going to make much difference to her legacy if she happens to drop one as a 7 year old.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 1:53pm
2 of her 3 wins have been in Course record time in the Cox Plate and still people talk fitness edge about others .
O/S never say a good word about other horses and we do have the Worlds best to 2000m .

Last Saturdays C.C was the biggest farce I've seen on a Racetrack in a lot of years.

Winx raced 4 wide the entire trip last year and ran new Course figures .

She wins this untouched.   Ideally drawn with nothing in there capable of matching her final 800m.

Get on the queue at any price.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

2 of her 3 wins have been in Course record time in the Cox Plate and still people talk fitness edge about others .
O/S never say a good word about other horses and we do have the Worlds best to 2000m .

Last Saturdays C.C was the biggest farce I've seen on a Racetrack in a lot of years.

She wins this untouched.   Ideally drawn with nothing in there capable of matching her final 800m.

I agree Max. I gave up looking for something to beat her ever since she skipped through the bottomless heavy and won the George Ryder the way she did. She's a freak. Only danger to me is if as a 7 year old mare in springtime she wakes up Saturday morning and decides she doesn't want to do this racing business anymore. Mares can do that. But otherwise she's just too good, especially around Moonee Valley.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I agree Max. I gave up looking for something to beat her ever since she skipped through the bottomless heavy and won the George Ryder the way she did. She's a freak. Only danger to me is if as a 7 year old mare in springtime she wakes up Saturday morning and decides she doesn't want to do this racing business anymore. Mares can do that. But otherwise she's just too good, especially around Moonee Valley.

Your a Gem Baguette .
Feel honoured in being the first to agree with me in 7 years.

I NEVER agree with anyone ,    as that would only make both of us wrong ...      
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Donald Hiltonson Donald Hiltonson wrote:

Go Winx.

I don’t agree at all. I think her legacy is pretty well set in stone by now. 21 group ones and 3 cox plates, they can’t take em off her. There’ll be plenty of shock initially if she gets beat but in the long run it’s hardly going to make much difference to her legacy if she happens to drop one as a 7 year old.

Did you hear Matt Chapman this morning?

If Benbatl or Avilius beat her, everyone in Europe will say she wasn't any good. They are saying that now. She needs to win this one to silence dipsh!ts like Matt Chapman. If she loses they will say that a third rate UK horse beat her (which I don't agree with, as he started fave in the Queen Anne), if she wins they will say she beat their third raters.

Euro's are a hiding to nothing.

Mark my words, her worldwide legacy is on the line, us Aussies know how good she is, but overseas they don't rate her that highly.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:19pm
The Euro's have us on a hiding to nothing.

There is no successful outcome for Winx here except to win and win well.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:24pm
Should she get beaten, unlikely as that is, I for one couldn't give a fig about how some in the NH might seek downgrade her.

And I also don't believe the vast majority of Australian opinions of her will alter if she gets beaten.

She's won nearly 30 on the trot for f-sake.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:26pm

Was gonna say just that..if she loses then she isn't as good as we all thought, if she wins then the opposition wasn't top class
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:53pm
So if she get beaten we should rate her on one below par performance rather than the 28 successful wins before-hand?

Mohammad Ali for example was a true champion, but inevitably got beaten.  Tell me how his legacy is tainted by defeat.
Stainvita View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stainvita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:56pm
How many of the Euros have previously  raced on a Greyhound Track?
If your hands aren't shaking you haven't put enough on.
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 5:00pm

They don't want to get too carried away.
Luke stopped riding a 3/4 fit Black Caviar half way through the race and still beat their best sprinter.
Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>