Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 Gold Coast Magic Millions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:09pm
Yeah, Goldey.   Interesting indeed. 
animals before people.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Miss that interview Goldey.  What happened?  When you get over 1000 horses in a catalogue there have to be some second tiers listed.  But the breeders have really got them looking well and that seems to be what sells today.  The cheap lots obviously have issues - but where is all this money coming from?

Breeders trading between themselves?
to the victor
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:55pm
Not going to say how I interpreted it, needless to say it sounded like a gaff to me, but i'm peanut small time horse enthusiast.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Yes Shrunk, Lot 503 looked a $400,000 yearling on pedigree.  Must have had a significant weakness or awful X-rays.  The lot was offered on behalf of Bob Peters from WA, and purchased by the Parnhams also from WA so a likely a buy-back I'd say.

As for 639, Hallowed Crown has been a hard breeding-barn sell for Arrowfield and this might now be the case with his yearlings.  Maybe it's the Street Sense aspect because you'd be hard pressed to fault his bottom half.

Thanks 2nd
Im still puzzled. I might have to make a phone call and see if I can get a small share on the cheap.
Love both families
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 3:28pm
Did I hear right, Sunlight was the most expensive purchase to win the millions at only 300k? 
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 3:31pm
Probably true.  Most winners come from the mid range but prices have got dearer in the last three years.  Very hard to find a good won selling below $100K now.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Heavy10 Heavy10 wrote:

Did I hear right, Sunlight was the most expensive purchase to win the millions at only 300k? 

I heard that too.  Also if she wiins the G Slipper she will be the first fillly to win the double ??
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Probably true.  Most winners come from the mid range but prices have got dearer in the last three years.  Very hard to find a good won selling below $100K now.

Understand your sentiment mate and I'm not there to see confirmations etc but some from very nice families did go cheaply
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:47pm
Mind you, that's probably why I've been failing in my breeding ventures
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:23pm
From what I understood $360,000 is the most expensive horse to ever win on aMM day
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 12:43am
The most expensive horses rarely deserve the price tag, nor go on to recoup it. Seen enough provincial one win wonders for $750k and in my view they are either buybacks or backdoor deals. Or some expert judges are very poor at their job.
to the victor
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:44am
Well Kaepernick has won back his price tag of $400K and went close at the weekend.  No Looking Back was first past the post in the MM only to loose on protest and she cost $500K and won that back also.  Plenty of horses ie Winx don't come back for this race day.  They have other races in their sites.
JoanFerguson View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoanFerguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:55am
Look at horses like Winx and BHB
Too good for MM restricted races
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

The most expensive horses rarely deserve the price tag, nor go on to recoup it. Seen enough provincial one win wonders for $750k and in my view they are either buybacks or backdoor deals. Or some expert judges are very poor at their job.
Realistically everybody should keep their hands down once bidding hits $300k-$400k.  As you say, hard to know what's legit when the big $$ get thrown around.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:31am
Winx cost less than sunlight
Breeder View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Breeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:52am
The interesting thing about Winx was that she was the third choice on their list of potential purchases. By the time she came in the ring they had been out bid on 2 and someone had to persuade their bidder to make one last final bid. Call it fate, good fortune or just being lucky but Winx has certainly paid them back with plenty of thrills as side from the money. 
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Breeder Breeder wrote:

The interesting thing about Winx was that she was the third choice on their list of potential purchases. By the time she came in the ring they had been out bid on 2 and someone had to persuade their bidder to make one last final bid. Call it fate, good fortune or just being lucky but Winx has certainly paid them back with plenty of thrills as side from the money. 

They need to thank the buyers of the previous lots for out bidding them.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 12:18pm
....and the underbidder in Winx would feel sick.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic