Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 G1 Caulfield Cup 2400m

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Kingy Kingy wrote:

Gotta agree with the Williams on KWD.
I just don't understand it... He doesn't ride for Weir. It's Yendall, Rawiller, Allen or Lane. 
I thought it was a very tough run he gave KWD last start.  I watched the horse pretty closely and am in the opinion that it should be in the paddock. That last run seemed to take a lot out of him. 

But I suppose if anyone can get the horse to peak again it's Weiry. I just don't think KWD will run top 5. Massive lay.

Williams rides for Weir in town almost every weekend
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 8:46pm
The 53kgs might have had a significant bearing on who rides him (KWD) & whilst on the topic, gee Ben Melham will be doing it tough to also make 53kgs.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

COM v Red Verdon- who wins that h2h? Why?

I have COM on top of the ratings, so for me he is going to beat RV home.

The reason is that I have watched RV's last three runs, and he loomed up to win, but he just faltered late.

His form is fantastic, but I think he is about 12 months off being a fully matured galloper, and for me he will run well but can not win.

I might be wrong, but that is why it is called gambling.

I also think he will be better for the run here in Australia and be better suited at Flemington over the 3200m.

The CliffsofMoher can not run 3200m, so I think this is the race he has been set for, he has proven he has settled in, even though he has not won at 2400m, his form has been in high quality 2400m races, where as RV's 2400 form includes wins at a lower level early in his career.

I just think RV will be better suited at Flemington, and that he is 12 months off being a consistent winner at this level.

If people like him I am not going to say do not back him, but he is one I am taking on.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 9:22pm

Gotta agree with the Williams on KWD.
I just don't understand it... He doesn't ride for Weir. It's Yendall, Rawiller, Allen or Lane. 
I thought it was a very tough run he gave KWD last start.  I watched the horse pretty closely and am in the opinion that it should be in the paddock. That last run seemed to take a lot out of him. 

But I suppose if anyone can get the horse to peak again it's Weiry. I just don't think KWD will run top 5. Massive lay.
Peaked fifth up hitting 2400 for the first time last prep, comes into this race fifth up hitting 2400 for the first time.

Tough lead up run for stayers = good lead up run imo
Mug-Punter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mug-Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

COM v Red Verdon- who wins that h2h? Why?

I have COM on top of the ratings, so for me he is going to beat RV home.

The reason is that I have watched RV's last three runs, and he loomed up to win, but he just faltered late.

His form is fantastic, but I think he is about 12 months off being a fully matured galloper, and for me he will run well but can not win.

I might be wrong, but that is why it is called gambling.

I also think he will be better for the run here in Australia and be better suited at Flemington over the 3200m.

The CliffsofMoher can not run 3200m, so I think this is the race he has been set for, he has proven he has settled in, even though he has not won at 2400m, his form has been in high quality 2400m races, where as RV's 2400 form includes wins at a lower level early in his career.

I just think RV will be better suited at Flemington, and that he is 12 months off being a consistent winner at this level.

If people like him I am not going to say do not back him, but he is one I am taking on.

RV and it's simply 2 reasons why -

Lloyd doesn't care about winning CC but the major reason RV will be in blinkers. They have held off using them all prep back home till Saturday. This is RVs GF.
The Mugg
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 10:41pm
Cliffs of Moher
Homesman
KWD
Ace High
Farmermick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmermick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:17am
I have read the many posts on the various forums and no one has really touched on the rail being out 6m for the Caulfield meet, last time it was out 6m it had a huge bias for on speed runners, CC is a race for well handicapped horses and those who had Yucatan as a moral then you could easily pick Gallic Chieftain making good ground into 4th finished a race strongly enjoys the back up gets a luxury weight and draws 2 which i an guessing maybe 4 pairs back the rail which is about as far back as i would want to be with the rail out 6metres with the bias.
Good luck all with your selections
Ethical Farming
Boutique Horse Stud
Medicinal Plant Research
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 6:05am
KWD
Youngstar
Chestnut Coat
Red Verdon
The Cloffsofmoher
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 8:17am
Ace High will do me here. Probably be gone at the 600 now.
There off! View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote There off! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 8:21am
NFI really.

Duretto, Red Vernon and Youngstar.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 8:56am
Caulfield Cup used to be one of my favourite betting races but now it's a lucky dip. Too many different formlines: too many unanswerable questions.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 9:07am
Its pouring rain here. Im near the track.
This is really bringing The Cliffsofmoher into it even more.
Maybe even Duretto. 

Track might not be too affected, but its certainly getting a little soggy at the moment.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 9:13am
Youngstar's chances have gone up tenfold with this rain.
Carrying 51.5kg.
3 runs on wet, for 3 wins.

$6 is becoming value.
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:29am
Who was the last 4 year old mare to win a Caulfield cup? Just doesn’t happen these days
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:44am
Jameka? 2016?
jimbob04 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbob04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:45am
Ace high in this
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Breeding Above All Breeding Above All wrote:

Who was the last 4 year old mare to win a Caulfield cup? Just doesn’t happen these days

LOL
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Speediskey Speediskey wrote:

Jameka? 2016?

Haha, geez clearly I’m suppressing that memory
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:42am
Jon Snow is good odds for a horse that stays and likes the rain. 
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:42pm
Cliffs of Moher
Best Solution
Chestnut Coat
Red Verdon
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by jacko1 jacko1 wrote:

But how wet does the track need to be for Jon Snow to run well? He goes better in a heavy track then a soft track
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Originally posted by jacko1 jacko1 wrote:

But how wet does the track need to be for Jon Snow to run well? He goes better in a heavy track then a soft track

He was 1/2 length behind the favourite two starts ago over 1600m on a good3. The sit/sprint didn't suit him last time. He handles the firm, but any rain boosts him. 
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 1:22pm
Glad to see some money for VENTURA STORM. best roughie in the race imo.
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 4:20pm
Cliffs of Moher
Ace High
Youngstar
KWD

Luck all!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:25pm
Best Solution
Ace high
homesman
KWD
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:29pm
Red Verdon/Cliffsofmoher
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Breeding Above All Breeding Above All wrote:

Best Solution
Ace high
homesman
KWD

BEAAAAAAUTIFUL
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:48pm
What a ride that was!!
Kingy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:49pm

I bloody hope JAAMEH gets a run. Still spewing about that bloody protest and how quickly it was dismissed Angry

I'm always wary of anything Cosgrave is riding.. even from barrier 17 he could win this with one of his peaches. I'll be taking a few bets into BEST SOLUTION.

SOUND CHECK should run a ripper. I'm more keen for SC in the Melbourne Cup as 2400 is too short. He's a ripping stayer imo.

I think VENTURA STORM is the best roughie in the race. Has been building very nicely this prep.

DURETTO's another I could see winning this, especially drawing the pole. Will need luck of course but the horse does like to be cuddled up and inside of runners from a few races I've seen. Definitely having something on at 20-1. 

Then there's the locals, IMO KINGS WILL DREAM wont run top 5. 1 run too many imo. on the other hand, ACE HIGH looks like he's dead set primed 100% for his grand final. I'm pretty keen to back him too. The is fine, excellent jockey on and he hasn't had to run in the slop in NSW, which I think is a massive plus.

Great race to have a bet on a few and come out on top.
Am hoping JAAMEH gets in, otherwise I'm already on and keen to back;
ACE HIGH
BEST SOLUTION
SOUND CHECK
VENTURA STORM

Great race. Cosgrave... you just have to bet on anything he's on board. 

What a trade on the fair! Biggest lay of all time with KINGS WILL DREAM. BOOYAAA BABY!!!

Best CC on the punt eva!
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 5:50pm
Gee the way they walked mid race nothing out the back stood a chance, J Mac at least showed some initiative on the Taj Mahal. Well dne still to the winner he was still strong on the line.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>