Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Competitions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2017 Yearling Competitions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2017 Yearling Competitions
    Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:13am
Just a note that the yearling sale Catalogues are up for NZ Bloodstock, Magic Millions and Inglis Classic sales.

There will be 2 comps again next year - same rules as this year.

2017 Yearling Comp - spend $1mllion on a maximum of 6 yearling s across all sales

2017 Bargain Comp - 3 yearlings (2 primary and 1 reserve) at $20k and under.

Please don't post any picks as yet - I will open the threads after Christmas.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

StormSiren View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 8:48am
Thanks Dizzy Clap
Lost in the magical world of racing. Storm Siren & Speed Hero.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 9:04am
I have about 20 shortlisted already in both the MM and NZ sales..... I need a life.  LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 9:16am
Haha... that's been my evenings the last couple of days as well.... unfortunately my current short list is not exactly short... just done the first cull, now I need to start looking at the pedigrees!! Pinch

Still have a fortnight or so lol...
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 12:42pm
Only starting to look but lot 4 is double Juliet with Sovereign Edition to boot.  If he looks anything he'll probably have to go in.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 2:08pm
I want that one!!!!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 2:43pm
We'll just have to share then.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 2:58pm
I'm liking #777... might have to be patient with her though Smile
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 3:13pm
Gee stormsiren I'm only up to 31.  Mind you working at the same time and looking when I'm waiting for something!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 3:23pm
Haha... I skipped ahead with her - had looked through All Too Hard's breeding record and checked to see if she was at the sale. Would like to be that far ahead!!

I'm around the 600 mark but that's just on the initial cull - will have to go back through all of the first shortlist and see if the pedigrees are of any interest!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 3:32pm
That said... can't tell if she's a little back at the knee on the off-fore... they've made it tricky with the shadows...
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

We'll just have to share then.

Referring to the bloke from little Britain, I want that one as in I want them all
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 3:56pm
So many to pick from, how can I just pick so fewLOL
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 4:15pm
That's the trouble!!!!!  I always knock out winners for non winners.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 5:42pm
Really furious? The last couple of weeks suggest otherwise....
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 6:30pm
Really I knocked out a Stratum from the Classic Sale which I originally had put in so I could put in an I am Invincible (which has won but is very weak).  The Stratum was only $9K so very cheap and I decided might have big problems.  2 starts and 2 wins later!
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 7:03pm
Thanks Dizzy.

As always i will be reserving my selections to Easter.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 9:03am
This Magic Millions sale is too hard to go through.  Too many I like so to hard to knock back to one or two!  I now know why I stuck to the other comps.  Better that they are combined but so many horses!  All shapes and sized.  Some lovely and some weird pedigrees.  Some interesting combinations some just thrown together.  Honestly going through the lot is giving me a major head ache.  And like Beliskner my picks will come in later anyway.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 9:14am

I know furious, I have whittled my MM picks down to 30! LOL  With MM I am trying to find a 2yr old, not much luck to date....Embarrassed

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 9:23am
Three first season sires throwing the types I like so far are Dundeel, Sizzling and Spirit of Boom.  After the last few years of First Season Sires not coming up early it will be interesting to see what prices any of the first season sires get.  Some nice types for most of them but some hits and misses also.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 9:32am
I've got my list almost sorted. Need to check out the types of the Classic/Premier/Easter selections so they may change... then I'll add one more. Hopefully all in budget ;-)

SALE LOT SIRE DAM
StormSiren MM GC 777 ALL TOO HARD DISTINCTIVE LASS
StormSiren MM GC 162 DREAM AHEAD LARA'S GLITTER
StormSiren EASTER   O'REILLY BETTER ALTERNATIVE
StormSiren CLASSIC 90 I AM INVINCIBLE AMBERS WALTZ
StormSiren PREMIER 111 HIGH CHAPARRAL MISTY BLUE
StormSiren        
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 9:44am
I don't have your clear head Storm Siren.  I'm still marking horse after horse which have something interesting going for them!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 10:17am
I've done that every other year Furious! Trying to come up with a formula to narrow it down a lot quicker and hopefully be more precise... will wait and see if any of them are any good. 

Did stray on the I Am Invincible - but I think it will be made up for being its in the gold riband or whatever section of the sale with the million dollar slipper bonus...
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 10:20am
It's easy to mark most I am Invincibles - he throws nice types.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 10:44am
Think my final one will be lot 10 - Declaration of War x Festival Princess. Will see how they sell.
Delta Deel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Deel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 11:18am
I have got through the 1st 100 at Karaka with only 10 picked out, new year new restraint for me!!
https://group1selections.wordpress.com/
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 12:56pm
That's probably right from the 1000+ at the MM I've got about 70 marked to look into.  But to get down to one - thats proving very hard!  Price and sale ring antics will knock alot out.  I know they'll go overs just on pedigree and photo.  But who knows.  They might fail their xrays.
Delta Deel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Delta Deel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:21am
How about this for potential staying blood. One of my favourite female lines in NZ:

Lot 259
CHESTNUT COLT
Box H 16
Foaled 18th November 2015
Branded: nr sh; 25 over 5 off sh
Sire
Jakkalberry (IRE)

Dam
Lioness
https://group1selections.wordpress.com/
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:10pm
I'll be very interested to see what the Lord Kanaloa filly sells for - just don't want to break the budget on one horse...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:20am
First of mine #10 - Declaration of War x Festival Princess $110k to Paul Perry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic