Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2017 Melbourne Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 26>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 6:04pm
Tiberian seeks to give teaser stallion unlikely Melbourne Cup triumph

Tue 29 Aug 2017

By Andy Stephens

Who said equine romance was dead? One of the most unlikely tales of the turf will be complete if Tiberian wins this year’s Emirates Melbourne Cup.

The five-year-old advanced his claims for Australia’s iconic race when winning the Group Two Grand Prix de Deauville under Olivier Peslier on Sunday and is a general 25-1 to land the $6.2 million two-mile contest on November 7.

It is fair to say his connections did not have a Melbourne Cup winner in mind when he was bred.

Indeed, the liaison between his little known sire, Tiberius Caesar, and his dam, Tomasina, was more a marriage of convenience than anything else.

Tiberius Caesar won only one of his 25 races during a five-year career on the racetrack and was once a purchase from an £8,000 claimer. A stallion? The only thing he had going for him was that he had not been gelded.

His principal occupation had long been as a “teaser” for his more popular stablemates such as Derby winner Authorized on the stallion roster at Haras Du Logis, the French establishment which has been home to many Darley sires over the years.

The role of a teaser can be unfulfilling and, no doubt, more than a little frustrating. They merely have to help the dam get in the mood before the stallion is ushered in.

In an attempt to maintain his libido, Tiberius Caesar, was allowed a one-off dalliance with the mare Tomasina.

The result of the union was Tiberian, who is trained by Alain Couetil and has now won six of his 17 starts. He is set to go into quarantine at Newmarket next month before his date with destiny Down Under.

For part-owner Julian Ince, manager of Haras Du Logis, it has been almost like a dream. "He is running well, and we feel he will like the conditions in Melbourne later in the year," he said.

"We are going to do it the right way. We plan to send him down to Australia on the first shipment and see what unfolds from there."

Now 17, Tiberius Caesar is listed as having one other offspring - the three-year-old Yellow Storm, who won a minor event at Senonnes-Pouance in June.

Tiberian featured among a total of 140 horses nominated for the Melbourne Cup on Tuesday. Should he win, you fancy his Dad may get more opportunities to show that champions can be produced in the most unlikely of circumstances.

reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 10:56pm
Vwhat are people's thoughts on:
C

CHARLEVOIX

Could he be a Bart Cummings type horse or a Lexus Stakes (Hotham) type horse to get into the Cup field.

On paper he looks like a staying handicapper....hes paying big odds ($151 on Super TAB) but you never know..
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 11:03pm
Been up too long and not good enough.

reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 11:12pm
Of the horses who are paying big odds.......who could feature in the Cup?
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 11:45pm
Pacodali has ceptured my attention.
reductio ad absurdum
TOLEDO View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOLEDO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 12:13am
I like Harlem, his prep for the sydney cup seemed rushed, and i think he would prefer a firmer track than the sydney cup
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 2:01pm
For some reason (and i dont know why) Red Cardinal continues to just be in my mind.....so for people who follow overseas racing - what are your thoughtsnon Red Cardinal? Should I be looking at other horses? Is Red Cardinal good enough or not good enough do do well in the Cup?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 2:14pm
I would not steer you away from him.
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 2:36pm
Cheers djebel. Red Cardinal is out to $18 on TABS in Wa, i got him at 18 yesterday and 15 and 16 a few weks ago.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 2:37pm
Also why didnt see Polarisatuon amongst the noms for the Melbourne Cup or Caulfield Cup - does anyone know why?
Morgan Dollar View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morgan Dollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 3:43pm
Afternoon all,

Is Boom Time a chance to scrape in here? would the Lindsay Park team aim him for this?

Would likely need to win the Lexus of the BC to get in...
Go The Dollar..!
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 7:09pm
Hi guys:
Just was wondering.Was there any late nominations for the melbourne cup yesterday?.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 3:20pm
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 5:11pm
In what could be ground-breaking news for the Melbourne Cup, Racing Victoria has given the best indication yet that, in future, the Caulfield Cup winner may not face an automatic re-handicap for the Melbourne Cup 17 days later.

RV's executive general manager of racing, Greg Carpenter, on Wednesday lamented the lost link between the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups and said that he will make comment on the topic of the Cups penalty when weights for the one-and-a-half and two-mile handicaps are released on Tuesday.

"There has always been a wonderful link between the Caulfield and Melbourne Cup," Carpenter said. "That has been lost a little in the last decade as, of the last 10 Melbourne Cup winners, only one (Viewed in 2008) has run in the Caulfield Cup.

"I'm really keen to re-establish that link and I'll talk about that on Tuesday when I release the weights."

Carpenter confirmed that the issue of the Caulfield Cup penalty has resurfaced of late.

"That debate has been reignited in the last week or two," Carpenter said on Wednesday. "The Melbourne Racing Club is continuing their push for the Caulfield Cup winner not to get a (Melbourne Cup) penalty.

"The VRC (Victoria Racing Club), through their racing manager Martin Talty, has made it very clear that they are happy to leave it (decision on penalty) entirely up to me.

"I don't have to penalise the winner of the Caulfield Cup. They (VRC) would like to maintain the ability for the Caulfield Cup winner to be penalised if I feel it appropriate.

"So, one of my main research projects this year has been around that link. It's been a very hot topic again in the last two weeks."

jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 1:25am
Would it make much difference? I don't see international horses (who make up the bulk of the M Cup field these days) suddenly lining up. They should try and promote the C Cup as it's own race with it's own identity and conditions, the days of it being the main M Cup trial are long gone. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 4:01am
We can forget about Order Of St George coming down.
reductio ad absurdum
Morston View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 4:26am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

We can forget about Order Of St George coming down.

Aidan O'Brien has just said, on a TVs interview, that it is still one of his options.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 9:42am
OOST would get too much weight now, probably 58kg+ and Lloyd doesnt like horses in the Cup with 57kg or more, it seems 57kg is the point where he says "No" for one of his horses for the Cup.
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:13am
Interested to hear from the forum - what are your current ALL IN's?
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:03am
Way too early to be betting
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:04am
I like to bet after seeing the Melbourne Cup horses in the mounting yard
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 3:48pm
Racing Victoria on Tuesday morning moved to preserve the Caulfield Cup as a sought-after Spring Carnival feature by announcing dramatic changes to the way its winner is penalised into the Melbourne Cup 17 days later.

From this spring, the Caulfield Cup winner will not be re-penalised into the Melbourne Cup if it has already been allocated 56kg or more and alternatively, if the Caulfield Cup winner has less than 56kg in the Melbourne Cup, any potential re-handicap will not take the horse's Melbourne Cup weight beyond that mark.

RV's executive general manager of racing Greg Carpenter said at the release of the weights for the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups on Tuesday that history over the past 40 years showed it was 'very difficult' for a Caulfield Cup winner to be placed in the Melbourne Cup with more than 56kg.

"The issue of the Caulfield Cup penalty has been widely discussed and the VRC (Victoria Racing Club) remain of the view that it's entirely appropriate for the winner of the Caulfield Cup to be penalised if the handicapper wishes to," Carpenter said.

"On the basis of the research we've done as a handicapping panel over the past 40-year period, it seems obvious it is very difficult to win a Caulfield Cup and then 17 days run in a Melbourne Cup with more than 56kg.

"So, for this year, should the winner of the Caulfield Cup already have 56kg or more in the Melbourne Cup, the Racing Victoria handicapping panel won't be issuing a penalty.

"Secondly if the winner of the Caulfield Cup has less than 56kg, the quantum of that penalty won't take the winner beyond 56kg."

He explained the reasons behind the historic move: "Since the Caulfield Cup was first run in 1881, there have been 11 dual winners of the race.

"However, that link seems to be evaporating a little. In the past 10 years, only Viewed, who won the Melbourne Cup in 2008, actually ran at Caulfield in the Caulfield Cup.

"In the 10 years prior to that, seven Melbourne Cup winners ran at Caulfield."

Carpenter said Racing Victoria's handicapping panel had visited the past to see where the Caulfield Cup stood these days and he said it was obvious the race was no longer the obvious option for Melbourne Cup contenders.

"Over the last 40 years there have been five dual winners - Let's Elope in 1991 won the Melbourne Cup with 51kg, Doriemus won with 54.5 and Ethereal with 52kg.

"Two other dual winners, Gurner's Lane won with 56kg in 1982 and Might And Power also took the double winning the Melbourne Cup with 56kg.

"In that period, eight winners of the Caulfield Cup have run in the Melbourne Cup with 56.5 or more and none of them have been able to be placed. The best of them was Elvstroem who ran fourth with 56.5."

Carpenter said the amendments to the way the Caulfield Cup winner is re-handicapped will bolster the race, but he said that it was important handicappers keep the right to penalise lower-weighted winners of the Caulfield Cup.

"The other important part of the decision that I want to emphasise, a horse than already has 56kg or more in a Melbourne Cup already obviously has a very established profile," he said.

"I think it's appropriate that we retain the right at this stage to penalise a Caulfield Cuip winner who is progressive and who is down in the weights and the evidence of Let's Elope and Ethereal prove that.

"It's an important change of view by the handicapping panel and we are hoping it will reignite the link between the Caulfield Cup and the Melbourne Cup and encourage horses high up in the weights in the Melbourne Cup to run at Caulfield with some surety about where they will be in the Melbourne Cup weights if they win."

Click here for the 2017 BMW Caulfield Cup weights.

Click here for the 2017 Emirates Melbourne Cup weights.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 5:29pm
Red Cardinal seems ok weighted at 55kg, I the weight might be 56kg
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 5:53pm
How does a dual Oaks winning, 4 year old mare get weighted at 51.5kgs? Egg Tart looks pitch forked into the race imho.

If Chris Waller ever had even the slightest regret at not running Winx as a 4yo mare when hindsight & weights tell us she would have invited to the winners stall then I think thoughts must be crossing his mind??

Bombers41 View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombers41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:21am
Yes I like Egg Tart - she looked so dominant winning the QLD oaks, is well weighted, you'd think will stay and is still 50/1

Albert is the other one for me. He ran a strong 5th the Tenno Sho in Japan, but the other Japanese horse  ran 4th (Admire Deus) is getting all the attention. Prior to that race Albert won a strong race over 3400 in Tokyo - so you know he'll run the journey. Still decent odds about 25/1 with the TAB.

Hoffy95 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoffy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 10:43am
Egg Tart highly unlikely to run in the CC or MC I think Chris Waller has made that pretty clear already. 
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by mikey mikey wrote:

How does a dual Oaks winning, 4 year old mare get weighted at 51.5kgs? Egg Tart looks pitch forked into the race imho.

If Chris Waller ever had even the slightest regret at not running Winx as a 4yo mare when hindsight & weights tell us she would have invited to the winners stall then I think thoughts must be crossing his mind??

Her 104 rating gets 52.5 against the G1 template (which Carpenter only uses as a guide) then a 2kg allowance for being the "weaker sex", so he's only allowed a 2 point rating improvement - which as you suggest seems extremely conservative. Against that she may not be well-weighted compared to existing open company performers. Carpenter also uses historical guides when doing MC weights and probably considered Ethereal as the standard - she carried only 52kgs after winning the CC with 50. 

Sebring might be her limitation as far as 2M goes but the dam side probably helps ???
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:27pm
I think I heard EGG TART was going Epsom Hcp, then Cox Plate.

So I doubt she'll appear in either of the Cups this spring. But to 3BM's point, her dam line is full of stamina, via IN THE PURPLE. To be honest, I don't think SEBRING holds her back in terms of running a trip, he's sired winners of quite a few black type staying races. He's a very versatile stallion.
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 2:31pm
Hi there guys:
Almandin was very impressive yesterday.And he was carrying a bit of weight also.
Is anyone thinking that there are any international raiders that are coming for the melbourne cup.
That can beat him?.

Bombers41 View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombers41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:41pm
I was on Almandid last year, and as impessive as hes been, he just won it last year and it is very very difficult to win 2 in a row. For what its worth Im on Albert (one of the Japanese horses) and an American Horse RedCardinal. If you are going to bet this early, Google maybe the top 20 in the market and try view a run or two from each horse over a week or so before putting any hard earned $$ down :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 26>