Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2017 Caulfield Cup, G1 Handicap!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
scamanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 3:52pm
Well I did my two bob. But I do realise it is a handicap where all the runners are given an even chance of winning according to the handicapper.

POP winning the Melb Cup and now Boom Time winning the Caul Cup were disappointments after some favoured winners in the years previous.

If we all knew what we were doing we would had something on Boom Time after the creditable 4th to Lord Fandango in the Herbert Power which followed a nice 3rd behind Jon Snow in the JRA Cup. POP also had good form leading into the Melb Cup.

That's horseracing.

Seymour Cup today and I'm giving a bit more back with a bet on Big Blue after a huge run when 8th behind Allergic in the McKell Cup beaten only 11.2 L , in May. Looks like good form for one of these Victorian Cup races.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 3:58pm
The whole track needs bulldozing
Redemption View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 5:26pm
I wouldnt be so sure to dismiss my theory that Williams turned the Cup into a brutal one.
he plays the "game" and his obsession is the Melbourne Cup.
Maybe many horses have now run their grand final and wont be in tip top shape for the Melbourne Cup.

Marmelo looked good.
Reminds me of the big strong So You Think.

Going by that, Marmelo is a huge Cup place chance
pnclick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:13pm
If Williams did have that plan... he didn't tell Ben Melham who run up the backside of a tiring Sir Isaac Newton. If you've got a tearaway leader, you don't want to be on the fence when it comes back through the field...

Agree, Marmelo looked super before the race, and his run was perfect from the Melbourne Cup viewpoint. Ridden against his normal pattern, maybe with the aim of not taxing him. Expect him to be ridden very positive in the Cup.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 2:48pm

Weir critical of Lane and Williams' rides in Caulfield Cup

By James Lamb Yesterday at 10:04am
Darren Weir wasn't happy after the Caulfield Cup Image: Getty
Darren Weir saddled up four winners at Caulfield on Saturday but things didn't exactly go to plan in the feature race and he was far from pleased with riders Damian Lane and Craig Williams.

Lane, who piloted Humidor, and Williams on Amelie's Star, both came under criticism on RSN's Racing Pulse show on Monday morning, with Weir saying neither rode to instructions.

"I wasn't happy with the rides, wasn't happy with the first part of the race with either horses, or either jockeys," Weir told Michael Felgate. 

"They (Humidor and Amelie's Star) weren't trained to be ridden that way and things just didn't go ideally from there."

Amelie's Star, usually a backmarker, was ridden aggressively from barrier 13, charging across to lead in the early stages of the 2400m race. 

Williams then handed up to Sir Isaac Newton who commenced to overrace badly, with Amelie's Star rolling on a fast pace in third. 

When asked if Williams was instructed to go forward on the mare, Weir gave a blunt response of "not really."

"Craig dug his out from the barrier and made her go forward which was a surprise to me."

Amelie's Star, a $9.50 chance, straightened for home in second but was a spent force at the 150m and faded out to finish 11th, beaten 5.3L.

Post-race, Williams was complimentary of his mount's performance.

"I was really proud of her performance. She had a really sticky barrier draw and we wanted to offset that and have her in a really forward position," Williams said.

"She was able to do that. She was amazing but she had to use petrol to get there. It was a gallant effort in the circumstances."

Weir was similarly disappointed with Lane's ride on Humidor ($6.50), saying he was shocked to see the former New Zealand galloper so close in the run.

"Damian said the crowd got Humidor going a bit halfway down the straight but I don't know about that. He had his chance to slot in I thought and elected not to and was then more forward than I anticipated," Weir said. 

Humidor travelled in the first four before joining the leaders at the 300m.

As he did in the Turnbull Stakes (2000m), Humidor wanted to lay in under pressure and proved a handful for Lane over the final furlong.

The five-year-old gelding battled on gamely to finish fifth, 2.6L off shock winner Boom Time.

"He ran well. I settled a lot closer than I anticipated and he got fired up going past the winning post the first time. When I went for him, he hung like a rusty gate and cost himself the race," Lane said shortly after the race.

Weir told Felgate that both runners pulled up well but he hasn't a clear idea of where we'll see them next, saying that the team will monitor their progress over the next few days.

The Weir-trained Kiwia (R5) was the only winner all day to come from the second-half of the field, with the track heavily favouring on-pace runners.

Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic